Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
We have one full bathroom and a half bathroom on the main floor. I am good with that number, I don't have the desire to clean more bathrooms than that. Nevermind seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
2 bathrooms per 3 bedrooms is basically the perfect ratio. Any more than that and your house's layout must be weird.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Sometimes I need to poo poo a lot - like, a lot - and I don't have time to flush in between bomb drops. The only way the sewage system can accommodate my septic holocausts is if I run from toilet to toilet in between heaves. This 7-bathroom house sounds like it was built with my extradimensional colon in mind. God bless Canada.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 30, 2013

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
maybe you're renting your investment property~ out to a whole bunch of mainland chinese students

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cultural Imperial posted:

maybe you're renting your investment property~ out to a whole bunch of mainland chinese students

If that was your plan for a Kelowna investment property, it would explain why it was in foreclosure.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HookShot posted:

Who the hell needs a house with 5 bedrooms and 7 bathrooms? Like seriously, that makes ZERO sense.

A IBS mansion?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ocrumsprug posted:

If that was your plan for a Kelowna investment property, it would explain why it was in foreclosure.

bro, errybody is a university now. Kwantlen college, cariboo college, even loving royal roads is a university.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Maybe 1 bath in the living room for guests, and one in the basement which technically isn't a bedroom but you know... That would work out.

In other news parents just closed on a land parcel in Victoria. :eng99:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

Maybe 1 bath in the living room for guests, and one in the basement which technically isn't a bedroom but you know... That would work out.

please tell me they paid cash

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bro, errybody is a university now. Kwantlen college, cariboo college, even loving royal roads is a university.

Is it mini-Vancouver?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Throatwarbler posted:

haha where abouts? Like actual Victoria?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

please tell me they paid cash

It's land so yeah.

Baronjutter posted:

haha where abouts? Like actual Victoria?

Highlands, just north of the Bear Mountain gold course.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Throatwarbler posted:

It's land so yeah.

Highlands, just north of the Bear Mountain gold course.

Awesome, way the gently caress out in the worst of the burbs. Those places are always the most resilient to market corrections. At least they didn't buy a Condo in Langford. Also holy poo poo at the amount of recent bankruptcies and cancelled major projects out there that the city was left holding the bag on like that loving overpass.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Awesome, way the gently caress out in the worst of the burbs. Those places are always the most resilient to market corrections. At least they didn't buy a Condo in Langford. Also holy poo poo at the amount of recent bankruptcies and cancelled major projects out there that the city was left holding the bag on like that loving overpass.

Cancelled projects? Really? I'm still waiting to see this in vancouver. I'm predicting the trump tower and that twisty building designed by that danish guy will be the first.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
I thought that in Vancouver you can't actually leave a project unfinished - you either finish it or pay to tear it down. Though I guess with bankruptcy if there's no money there's no money.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Mr. Wynand posted:

I thought that in Vancouver you can't actually leave a project unfinished - you either finish it or pay to tear it down. Though I guess with bankruptcy if there's no money there's no money.

I'm living in a project that was abandoned in 2008 and it was bought and finished by someone in 2011.

The site on which the trump tower is to be built was abandoned for like 20 years.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Baronjutter posted:

They're retiring and like the country living, it's 5 acres, and honestly we drove the area and it's really not that "far out", you can get to all the shopping in Langford in 5 minutes and downtown in about 20, so no worse than most of Calgary in that regard.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

The site on which the trump tower is to be built

:laffo:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Why do people hate Kelowna? It looks pretty in the pictures. :shobon:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

spacemost posted:

Why do people hate Kelowna? It looks pretty in the pictures. :shobon:

What part of Canada are you from? I need to craft an appropriate regional analogue. I.E., if you were from Ontario, I'd say "Kelowna is like Muskoka, but with even bigger douchebags driving even bigger ATVs, plus a dumb real estate bubble."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Throatwarbler posted:

They're retiring and like the country living, it's 5 acres, and honestly we drove the area and it's really not that "far out", you can get to all the shopping in Langford in 5 minutes and downtown in about 20, so no worse than most of Calgary in that regard.

Traffic can get crazy during rush hour. That 20 min can turn into an hour easy (which from a Victoria perspective would be, let me do the math, about a 6.3 hour commute for someone from Calgary. It's a bit like dog-years you see). But if they're retired and don't like the city or doing much anything they'll do fine, sit at home all day and drive to the nearly big-box every couple weeks for supplies. I don't get it but it's apparently a pretty attractive life for a lot of people.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I'm living in a project that was abandoned in 2008 and it was bought and finished by someone in 2011.

The site on which the trump tower is to be built was abandoned for like 20 years.

Just think of it as a monument to American competence and good sense.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Fine-able Offense posted:

What part of Canada are you from? I need to craft an appropriate regional analogue. I.E., if you were from Ontario, I'd say "Kelowna is like Muskoka, but with even bigger douchebags driving even bigger ATVs, plus a dumb real estate bubble."
Ugh, forget that then.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

spacemost posted:

Ugh, forget that then.

Kelowna is awesome to visit for a weekend in the right time of year. Go on a winery tour and get schwasted like a gentleman, hit up an orchard on your way out of town for some jam.

Buying a piece of land there, though, is basically admitting you've given up on being a human being. It's a more indolent and self-involved version of building a cabin in the woods or joining a monestary.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The overarching theme is that most of these places would actually be pretty nice if property prices were in line with most other first country rural backwaters with no jobs, but with current price levels they are all terrible. So Canada is basically composed of 2 markets, "place with tolerable weather but no jobs and priced like only hedge fund managers live there" and "Winnipeg".

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fine-able Offense posted:

Kelowna is awesome to visit for a weekend in the right time of year. Go on a winery tour and get schwasted like a gentleman, hit up an orchard on your way out of town for some jam.

Buying a piece of land there, though, is basically admitting you've given up on being a human being. It's a more indolent and self-involved version of building a cabin in the woods or joining a monestary.

Having grown up there, this isn't far from the mark. I love the area but actually living there would be a surrender.

It is a retirement community coming to grips with what the boomer bubble is going to do to retirees property values.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
you could hang out with madchild from famous rap group swollen members

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

you could hang out with madchild from famous rap group swollen members

The place is still crowing about being the hometown of The Grapes of Wrath.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

ocrumsprug posted:

It is a retirement community coming to grips with what the boomer bubble is going to do to retirees property values.

Do people really, actually believe that Kelowna is a place with bright future prospects, chiefly among them exponential growth in housing prices?

At least in Vancouver you can construct a self-soothing narrative about Mainland Chinese hot money, or in Calgary, oil extraction, or whatever. But Kelowna? You'd want your head examined to buy property there at half the price, let alone the current valuations. What gives?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
substitute chinese for rich calgarians to make the analogy work for kelowna

like what dumb rear end loving calgarian wants a loving vacation home in kelowna

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

like what dumb rear end loving calgarian wants a loving vacation home in kelowna

The Canadian Dream™: a wealthy, profligate stranger from a magical money-filled land can't wait to buy your lovely house.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
loving KELOWNA

no offence ocrumsprug but loving hell

Unless you're a weed farmer or a hells angel or a UN gang member or part of the rock machine or some poo poo WHY THE gently caress LIVE IN KELOWNA

I LOVE DIRT AND MC HAMMER YOU GUYS

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Because it's warmer :durr:

(That's actually the main reason I've heard)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ok you know what doesn't make sense to me? Why isn't Canmore expensive as gently caress? I loving love Canmore and it's dirt cheap.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
What? All those houses that got washed away in that flood were supposedly million dollar houses.

Also: floods.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Rich people don't even live in Kelowna, they live in mansion nestled in the hills overlooking the lane in one of the small towns in between Kelowna and Penticton.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
oh come on

From my perspective, all that poo poo between salmon arm and osooyoos is kelowna~

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Do people really, actually believe that Kelowna is a place with bright future prospects, chiefly among them exponential growth in housing prices?

At least in Vancouver you can construct a self-soothing narrative about Mainland Chinese hot money, or in Calgary, oil extraction, or whatever. But Kelowna? You'd want your head examined to buy property there at half the price, let alone the current valuations. What gives?

As has been stated, the narrative in Kelowna is EVERYONE wants to retire there. Now a lot of people do, so it's believable but the reality is not going to save the place.

And no offense taken. There are only two things to do there. Be a student, or be retired and it is decent at both. I believe the leading industry is building strip malls so you can imagine what the job market is like.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I live in Penticton and it's literally everything you guys are saying about Kelowna only it's somehow even more terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

I want a winter vacation home in Kelowna =(. I am not a rich calgarian though.

Big White is a very nice mountain. Also, only if I had unlimited monies.

E: and then I'd just live on the mountain itself. So yeah, gently caress kelowna. Just keep the airport open

Math You fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 31, 2013