Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually it's Platini who just called for a 40-nation World Cup.
Well it was Blatter who floated the idea of replacing European teams with nations from Africa and Asia and Platini's slightly desperate response was talking about increasing the number of nations in total so as not to impact the number of European qualifiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I think in Blatter's ideal World Cup there would be four European teams.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I know this is Eurocentric but the World Cup shouldn't have less European teams but more in this posters opinion.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The World Cup should have the best 32 teams in the world in this poster's opinion, no matter where they come from.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

vyelkin posted:

The World Cup should have the best 32 teams in the world in this poster's opinion, no matter where they come from.

Agreed. Select the World Cup entrants from the top 31 teams by FIFA ranking.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Popehoist posted:

Agreed. Select the World Cup entrants from the top 31 teams by FIFA ranking.
128-team knockout tournament.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Crazy Ted posted:

128-team knockout tournament.

Single elimination random draw from every national team that shows up. Determine first round byes by those with the lowest fifa ranking getting bye priority.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Hold it in one stadium, 24 hours a day, winner stays on until every team has played. If it's good enough for my childhood it's good enough for FIFA

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10

Byolante posted:

Single elimination random draw from every national team that shows up. Determine first round byes by those with the lowest fifa ranking getting bye priority.

The Karate Kid World Cup

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Scott Bakula posted:

It'll work by FIFA ranking forcing everyone to suffer through more friendlies every world cup as every country tries to boost its ranking

Friendlies reduce your FIFA ranking. If England hadn't played all the recent friendlies they'd be seeded for the World Cup draw.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The simplest idea is just to use the NCAA Division 1 Basketball Tournament:
The selection committee seeds the whole field of 68 teams from 1-68, but did not make this information public until 2012. The committee then divides the teams amongst the regions. The top four teams will be distributed among the four regions, and each will receive a #1 rank within that region. The next four ranked teams will then be distributed among the four regions, each receiving a #2 rank with their region, and the process continues down the line. Carried to its logical conclusion, this would give each region seventeen teams ranked 1-16, but as seen below, this is complicated somewhat (see the next paragraph and the The First Four section below).

The selection committee is also instructed to place teams so that whenever possible, conference teams cannot meet until the regional finals. Additionally, they are also instructed to avoid any possible rematches of regular season or previous year's tournament games during the Rounds of 32 and 64.[6] Further restrictions are listed in the Venues section below. To comply with these other requirements, the selection committee may move one or several teams up or down one seed from their respective original seed line.[7] Thus, for example, the 40th overall seeded team, originally slated to be a #10 seed within a particular region, may instead be moved up to a #9 seed or moved down to a #11 seed.

The bracket is thus established, and during the semifinals, the champion of top #1 rank's region will play against the champion of the fourth No. 1 rank's region, and the champion of the second-ranked #1 rank's region will play against the champion of third-ranked #1 rank's region.

The "First Four" refers to the number of games played, not the number of teams. First held during 2011, the First Four are games between the lowest four at-large teams and the lowest four automatic bid (conference champion) teams. They are not necessarily the lowest eight teams in the field; the lowest four at-large teams may have higher rankings among the entire field of 68 than several of the automatic bid teams coming from the smaller conferences. The four games are held to determine which teams will assume a place in the Round of 64. Unlike other early games in the tournament, the teams are not matched with disparity intended. Rather, equality governs match ups (e.g., in one game two teams, usually the two lowest automatic bid teams, might play for a #16 seeding in the Round of 64, while in another game two teams, usually two of the four lowest at-large teams, are trying to advance as an 11-seed).

See? Simple.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I am impressed they managed to make something more convoluted and incomprehensible than the lines on the rink in ice hockey.

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002
Having an at-large portion sounds great on paper, but we all know the selections would be given to the countries with the biggest bribes.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Friendlies reduce your FIFA ranking. If England hadn't played all the recent friendlies they'd be seeded for the World Cup draw.

Isn't it not winning your friendlies, not the friendlies themselves? Otherwise I don't understand the FIFA rankings at all, which I hear puts me in excellent company with the rest of the world.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Peanut President posted:

The simplest idea is just to use the NCAA Division 1 Basketball Tournament:

It would be fully sick

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Real world cup. Every team in FIFA competes and it takes four years to complete.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Azerban posted:

Isn't it not winning your friendlies, not the friendlies themselves? Otherwise I don't understand the FIFA rankings at all, which I hear puts me in excellent company with the rest of the world.

The ranking is based on average ranking points per game so yes you can lower your ranking while winning.

It's set up so any team on the borderline of getting seeded has to carefully arrange their matches to exploit the broken system. England playing and beating San Marino in the qualifiers actually lowers England's ranking because San Marino are a joke team. Ninpo pointed out that England could've arranged their qualifiers against San Marino earlier in the qualifying cycle (older matches are weighted lower in the ranking system) and probably gotten seeded with the same results.

tldr: The system is stupid as hell.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Just have small 4 team tournament of players handpicked by sponsors. Team Qatar Foundation vs Team Gazpron for world supremacy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Have a giant World League broken down into leagues of 16 teams each, with promotion and relegation. Each team plays each other in their league home and away over the course of four years and at the end of four years promotion and relegation happen. When it's time for the World Cup, all 32 teams from the top two divisions get to play. Easy peasy. Plus we get Germany-Spain-Brazil-etc versus each other every time there's an international break, thus making them less useless because nobody has to play Andorra, San Marino or Liechtenstein except each other. Plus we can get rid of godawful FIFA rankings.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Step one: using Joao Avelange's "four-quarters-match" idea modify the LOAF so as to permit 3 intermissions, over which more publicity revenues could be had.

Step two: at each intermission each team switches fields and plays a different group team. At the end of four 17-minute periods, every team has played each other.

Step three: only the first place team qualifies. Send the rest home with a brass medal and a bag of lollies.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

Have a giant World League broken down into leagues of 16 teams each, with promotion and relegation. Each team plays each other in their league home and away over the course of four years and at the end of four years promotion and relegation happen. When it's time for the World Cup, all 32 teams from the top two divisions get to play. Easy peasy. Plus we get Germany-Spain-Brazil-etc versus each other every time there's an international break, thus making them less useless because nobody has to play Andorra, San Marino or Liechtenstein except each other. Plus we can get rid of godawful FIFA rankings.

This is unironically what they're trying to pull in Europe, if Im remembering right.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

I think in Blatter's ideal World Cup there would be four European teams.
It actually wouldn't involve any football at all and would just be about giving a lot of money to Sepp Blatter.

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle
remember that just one of the reasons why USA '94 was some big time fail was that some, but not all of the third place teams got through the groups. with this sort of thing going on we miss out on great moments like Italy getting 5 points at Euro 04 and still going out because of an insanely specific set of group results followed immediately by the entire nation of Italy having a 2-year-long tantrum.

the day we miss out on incidents like that is the day football, which died every time something happened that I don't like during the existence of this subforum, will die.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Babby Thatcher posted:

remember that just one of the reasons why USA '94 was some big time fail was that some, but not all of the third place teams got through the groups. with this sort of thing going on we miss out on great moments like Italy getting 5 points at Euro 04 and still going out because of an insanely specific set of group results followed immediately by the entire nation of Italy having a 2-year-long tantrum.

the day we miss out on incidents like that is the day football, which died every time something happened that I don't like during the existence of this subforum, will die.

I'm still mad.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I still like the South Korea tantrum more tbh

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

St Evan Echoes posted:

I still like the South Korea tantrum more tbh

I became less mad about that after Moreno was arrested for trying to smuggle drugs across international borders and he was proven to be a Literal Criminal, thus vindicating everyone that blamed him and making Brazil's win in that tournament null and void.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
A WC/EC knockout phase without Italy participating is great bc it actually makes it possible for Germany to win that thing.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Adulterous Hitler posted:

A WC/EC knockout phase without Italy participating is great bc it actually makes it possible for Germany to win that thing.

This but England

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

This but England

except excluding all western european teams

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Gigi Galli posted:

I'm still mad.

I'm still laughing!

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
I know someone who has a Brazilian wife and she told me that she knows a couple of people who are working in marketing for a company who are in some way one of the many sponsors of the world cup next year.

The company have a corporate spend ethics team and if you want to spend more than like £200 on an event or corporate gift or blah for another company you have to justify it and have it approved well in advance. Similarly they can't accept any gift or spend that amounts to more than like £50. This is apparently becoming standard amongst companies like this in Brazil because questions have been raised about how ethical some decisions about the Olympics/WC have been and they want to be accountable if there was some kind of scandal as it would be awful for their reputation on a global scale.

Fifa however apparently have nothing like this in place because they are fifa and guess if they claim they didn't know it happened then it's not their fault *shrug*

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's FIFA. Sepp Blatter can just step in front of a microphone, make a funny face, and say "Oh no of course we are dedicated to stamping out corruption from this time forward!"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Reminder that FIFA has been batshit nuts for a long time. Joao Havelange actually proposed breaking games up into four quarters in order to maximize commercial revenues way back in the 1970s.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Crazy Ted posted:

Reminder that FIFA has been batshit nuts for a long time. Joao Havelange actually proposed breaking games up into four quarters in order to maximize commercial revenues way back in the 1970s.

Think of how many more trophies man u would have won with twice as much Fergie Time.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
CONMEBOL are going to lose the fifth qualifying spot starting next WC apparently, there goes any chance of Venezuela ever qualifying for a WC. Uruguay can't be too happy either.

gently caress you Blatter.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

El Hefe posted:

CONMEBOL are going to lose the fifth qualifying spot starting next WC apparently, there goes any chance of Venezuela ever qualifying for a WC. Uruguay can't be too happy either.

Who's getting their spot?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Kurtofan posted:

I hope they just cut the bullshit and put it up for auction to the highest bidder.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Kurtofan posted:

Asia probably I don't know.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

blue footed boobie posted:

I hope they just cut the bullshit and put it up for auction to the highest bidder.

Time for Gulfcacaf to rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

El Hefe posted:

Lmao what, this makes 0 sense. What's the justification?