Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Race Realists posted:

Starting a Part-Time Telesales job with Comcast.

Does anyone have experience in this job? I need advice on how to make the quota of two sales per day! I (foolishly?) consider this to be my big break into the Call Center field that I've been trying to get into for the longest time.

I know I have an excellent speaking voice, I just need advice on making a sale.

We have this whole spiel on our "S3" sales process that's supposed to be really good. I never use it because I hate selling poo poo (Even though we're supposed to). The core idea is to have a "conversation" with your customer, find "Needs" and deliver on those needs. Basically listen for cues like kids playing in the background, them mentioning multiple computers accessing the internet, poo poo like that. It's supposed to sound less like selling and more about what hte customer wants/needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Loving Life Partner posted:

New fascinating hatred:
People who can't wrap their heads around their billing, but especially people who freak if they have 2 payments "in the same month", even if one was delayed to like, the 2nd and their normal due date comes due again on the last day of the month.

WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TWICE IN THE SAME MONTH!? :argh:

Man, I have to do this with my wife about three times a year when we're looking at the joint bank account statement.

"THIS PAYMENT IS ON THERE TWICE"
"Yeah, but look, the statement covers the end of one month and the whole of the next, it SHOULD be on there twice."

Cedric
Nov 17, 2007

"Hard work is simply the refuge of people who have nothing whatever to do."
I've been enjoying my two weeks off.

See, they kept asking me why I look so sick each time I came in for work. Eventually they made me see a doctor. I was fine, but if they are going to make me see a doctor, who am I to say no? So I accepted and went to the doctor, whom I told that I am fine; just feeling sad over the policies they have in place.

After I elaborated on the policies he diagnosed me with illegal work practices and gave me two weeks off.

Back to work on Monday. Yay! Just a few more months...

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

New fascinating hatred:
People who can't wrap their heads around their billing, but especially people who freak if they have 2 payments "in the same month", even if one was delayed to like, the 2nd and their normal due date comes due again on the last day of the month.

WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY TWICE IN THE SAME MONTH!? :argh:

Some of us have our budgets set up in a way that we like paying the same amount every month and not paying double one month then nothing the next month. I know it all shakes out the same in the end, but it can make your budget for that one month pretty tight, particularly if it's a large bill.

E: VVV Oh, I misunderstood. Yea, then it's the typical customer idiocy.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 1, 2013

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Some of us have our budgets set up in a way that we like paying the same amount every month and not paying double one month then nothing the next month. I know it all shakes out the same in the end, but it can make your budget for that one month pretty tight, particularly if it's a large bill.

It's not even that, which I understand, it's literally

Normal due dates:
10/31 - 11/30 - 12/31

Due date due to change/adjustment by customer or other circumstances (billing frozen due to non-pay)
11/04 - 11/30 - 12/31

They flip at the idea that two payments are in the same month, not that they're being doubled up upon in one bill, because one of them is late

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
When I worked for a telco I had to deal with prorated charges. Cancel a service in the middle of the month? You're still going to have to pay for the 15 days you actually used it. Its (supposed to be) explained to you on the phone call, and it is explained on the bill. The volume of people I had to bring back from the verge was staggering.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
"I bought a new car and I need to get it insured, but I absolutely cannot have my monthly payments go up I can't afford it."

It should be against the law to sell a brand new car to a 23 year old before they get a quote to properly insure it and do some kind of income verification.

She was basically in tears by the end of the call because she signed on the dotted line already and owns the car so I'm sure that's 400+ monthly payment, and now her insurance tripled, so yeah that thing is getting repo'd inside 90 days. loving car dealers are gross, and people are dumb.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
It wouldn't be so bad if people weren't so goddamn dumb. When we bought my wife's new car, I knew we were getting the $400 payment plus insurance (Which wasn't much because we're both 25+ and no accidents until I rectified the latter :rolleyes:). So many people tend to forget you have to pay for insurance as well as the car.

Though, to be fair, a lot of big dealerships have some sort of guarantee, if you drive it less than X miles/X days you can bring the car back.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

"I bought a new car and I need to get it insured, but I absolutely cannot have my monthly payments go up I can't afford it."

It should be against the law to sell a brand new car to a 23 year old before they get a quote to properly insure it and do some kind of income verification.

She was basically in tears by the end of the call because she signed on the dotted line already and owns the car so I'm sure that's 400+ monthly payment, and now her insurance tripled, so yeah that thing is getting repo'd inside 90 days. loving car dealers are gross, and people are dumb.

That's a scummy dealer for sure. The last time I bought a car, they wouldn't even give me the keys until I had given them proof of insurance to drive it off the lot. I basically bought the insurance over the phone right in front of the salesman and had them fax over the info.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

cuntvalet posted:

I've had to be on Tylenol with Codine and muscle relaxants for a lower back issue that started up a week or so ago, and is only getting worse from sitting. Taking calls when stoned out of my mind on pain killers is really weird and feels a lot like when I don't get much sleep...I'm very calm/monotonous and just kinda power through things. Makes the day somehow go faster too. :iiam:

Cuntvalet, you're in the U.S., right? Ask your doctor about writing you an FMLA break. When I started anti-depressants, my brain would sometimes just go fuzzy and super light-headed for 20 minutes at a time, unpredictably. My psych was able to use that to get me an additional 10-minute break off the phones for six months. So this way you get a break when you feel dizzy, or when you just... need a break.

Now, depending on the management at your call center, they might basically be super un-accomodating. For example, you'll notice I said I'd feel fuzzy for 20 minutes, but I only got a 10-minute break. And I only got one a day, and I couldn't split my break into two 5-minute breaks or anything. Also, some people would get off work for STD/LTD, but my psych cautioned me that if you claim STD/LTD instead of FMLA, your job can say you're incapable and fire you on the spot, but I am not a lawyer or a doctor. Just telling you my experience.

I mean, it's far from ideal, but it's *something.*

EDIT: Also, if you work for a large company, no one at your local job even has to know what your condition/reason for taking FMLA is due to HIPPA. Just that you're on it. Anyway, seriously, talk to your doctor, you need some kind of break for your mental health at least.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 2, 2013

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
It's weird, I've been here two months and even though the first weeks were awful, I'm actually starting to like the job. The iphone craze died out and its now averaging 7 minutes between calls, I learned recently i can read a book when not on call and I learned not to take issues personally and how to actually fix them. It becomes almost zen in some way. Of course I'm not thinking about staying, but not wanting to kill myself everyday is pretty nice.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Call centre rant thread: not wanting to kill myself everyday is pretty nice

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Jeoh posted:

This is how I felt when I got my new job. I'm so amazed that I don't feel constantly sick and worn down.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Maybe now that my fourth quarter is over I'll remember what this feels like :unsmith:

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Jeoh posted:

I never wanted to actually kill myself, but every morning when I woke up alive, I was a little disappointed.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

legsarerequired posted:

Cuntvalet, you're in the U.S., right? Ask your doctor about writing you an FMLA break. When I started anti-depressants, my brain would sometimes just go fuzzy and super light-headed for 20 minutes at a time, unpredictably. My psych was able to use that to get me an additional 10-minute break off the phones for six months. So this way you get a break when you feel dizzy, or when you just... need a break.

Now, depending on the management at your call center, they might basically be super un-accomodating. For example, you'll notice I said I'd feel fuzzy for 20 minutes, but I only got a 10-minute break. And I only got one a day, and I couldn't split my break into two 5-minute breaks or anything. Also, some people would get off work for STD/LTD, but my psych cautioned me that if you claim STD/LTD instead of FMLA, your job can say you're incapable and fire you on the spot, but I am not a lawyer or a doctor. Just telling you my experience.

I mean, it's far from ideal, but it's *something.*

EDIT: Also, if you work for a large company, no one at your local job even has to know what your condition/reason for taking FMLA is due to HIPPA. Just that you're on it. Anyway, seriously, talk to your doctor, you need some kind of break for your mental health at least.

Canada, but I imagine it's a lot the same.

I mentioned the issue to my physiotherapist and he more or less ignored what I was saying. I'm probably gonna have to speak to my family doctor to go that way. It sure would be nice to take the meds that we prescribed to me!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I very rarely have people insist that I call them MISTER (whatever) instead of their first name, but every person that does is a piece of poo poo.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

I very rarely have people insist that I call them MISTER (whatever) instead of their first name, but every person that does is a piece of poo poo.

Don't forget people who want you to call them Doctor

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Armacham posted:

Don't forget people who want you to call them Doctor

GOD. And they're always so fuckin smug about it, too.

This job has become waaaaaay more tolerable since I decided to find everything amusing. There are some things that I can't find the humor in, though. MISTER and DOCTOR is one of those things. On Saturday, I found out there is another thing I just can't laugh at. I spoke to this woman who critiqued my (scripted) greeting.

When she answered, I asked to speak with "Mary", please. She said she was Mary, so I told her I was Fooby, calling on behalf of Slimeball Company with a few quick follow-up questions regarding her experience, and that our calls are recorded for quality. We went through the survey, then, as I'm thanking her for her time and feedback, she asks if she can share something with me. I'm thinking she wants to compliment the Slimeball staff that assisted her. Lots of people do this when they've had a positive experience. Nah. She informed me that I'd be better received if I said, "This is Fooby with Slimeball Company, is Mary in?", in that smug, superior voice that people like to use when Telling You A Thing. I thanked her and told her I'd keep that in mind, but I'm calling ON BEHALF of Slimeball Company. I can't say I work FOR Slimeball, because I don't.

We are supposed to let them think we work for whatever company we're calling on behalf of, but there are very specific ways to word certain things. If someone asks, I tell them the truth. We are supposed to fess up if asked- yeah, we're third-party. People always get real lovely after that. I don't understand that either, because really, you deal with WAAAAY more third-party CSRs than you think. For example, Convergys represents an assload of companies, and they are authorized to answer "Thanks for calling Asshats Unlimited, how may I help you?". We are not. It's a legalities thing, I guess, and if they catch me not doing that, or not saying we're recording you, its an immediate firing. Sorry, Mary, you goddamn twatwaffle. I guess I could have told her that, but I just wanted to get off the phone with her before I said something really rude.

Also, it's really hard for me to tell you who I am and why I'm calling if you won't shut up long enough to hear it.
"Hello?"
"Hello, may I speak to Betty?"
"WHO ARE YOU"
"I'm Fooby and-"
"WHO ARE YOU AND WHY ARE YOU CALLING ME!"
"I'm calling on beha-"
"WHO ARE YOU. WHY ARE YOU CALLING. I GET THESE CALLS ALL THE TIME. WHY ARE YOU CALLING ME. WHO ARE YOU?! YOU BETTER STOP PLAYING ON MY PHONE. GET OFF MY PHONE. I DON'T WANT TO BUY ANYTHING. WHY ARE YOU CALLING! WHY! WHY ARE YOU CALLING! WHO ARE YOU?!"
"Ma'am, I'm Foob-"
"STOP!!!"
*slam*

Well, okay then. I guess I don't understand why people get so upset about it, especially when you don't even know why I'm calling. I think its hilarious though, when I can get a word in edgewise, and they're just like, "oh..." and then they're all embarrassed and meek through the rest of the call.

The thing I really don't understand is when I get a wrong number. I ask for a person, and its the wrong number, and people just LOSE THEIR MINDS. Okay, it's the wrong number! I'll code it as a wrong number and it's over! I mean, when you get a new phone, you should understand that there are going to be people who aren't notified that the previous user has a different number now. Just tell people its not Joe's number anymore, and eventually people will stop calling for Joe. You don't have to let it ruin your life. I have had the same cell number for twelve years and I still get wrong numbers sometimes. It's not that big of a deal. And while I'm at it, answering the telephone is optional. You don't have to pick up an unfamiliar number, especially since we call from an 888 number. It's pretty obviously not your kid's school.

The whole country needs to collectively smoke a joint.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

foobyfooby posted:

The thing I really don't understand is when I get a wrong number. I ask for a person, and its the wrong number, and people just LOSE THEIR MINDS. Okay, it's the wrong number! I'll code it as a wrong number and it's over!

My favorite is when they continue to ask who is calling them after I ask for someone who doesn't live there.

At that point what does it matter? You know its a wrong number why are you still talking to me?

jassi007 posted:

Kind of. I just hate unsolicited phone calls in general, like many people. I answer numbers like that because what if it is a hospital and my mom is sick (she's not in good health) or my car company calling me about a recall or something? Sure I can screen calls blah blah but it could be an actual important thing I need to hear about, and when it isn't I'm generally a little grumpy.
That's still no excuse to be lovely to the person calling you. If it's a wrong number they don't want to talk to you either.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 4, 2013

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

foobyfooby posted:

The thing I really don't understand is when I get a wrong number. I ask for a person, and its the wrong number, and people just LOSE THEIR MINDS. Okay, it's the wrong number! I'll code it as a wrong number and it's over! I mean, when you get a new phone, you should understand that there are going to be people who aren't notified that the previous user has a different number now. Just tell people its not Joe's number anymore, and eventually people will stop calling for Joe. You don't have to let it ruin your life. I have had the same cell number for twelve years and I still get wrong numbers sometimes. It's not that big of a deal. And while I'm at it, answering the telephone is optional. You don't have to pick up an unfamiliar number, especially since we call from an 888 number. It's pretty obviously not your kid's school.

The whole country needs to collectively smoke a joint.

Kind of. I just hate unsolicited phone calls in general, like many people. I answer numbers like that because what if it is a hospital and my mom is sick (she's not in good health) or my car company calling me about a recall or something? Sure I can screen calls blah blah but it could be an actual important thing I need to hear about, and when it isn't I'm generally a little grumpy.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Okay I'm starting to think I have the vocal equivalent of bitchy resting face (when you're not mean or angry but people think you look bitchy?). I have a phone voice which is calmer and softer than my regular speaking voice but I just had a customer request to speak to a supervisor because she didn't like my tone and I was "being short" with her when I was speaking like I would to anybody else.

Granted she was one of those customers who taking any little thing as an offense because she's mad that she was told incorrect information or whatever. She threatened to cancel all of her services through us and it was all I could do to not say "Cool! Let me get you to our cancellation department!"

As I was gathering information to get her to supervisor she said "You know what?! I'll call back later and talk to someone else!" and slammed down the phone. :byewhore:

I feel kinda bad because she demanded my employee number and I gave it. But so used to giving it for escalations I rhymed it off fairly quickly and I think she thought I was doing it to spite her. Though I nearly burst into giggles when her response was "No. You're GOING to repeat that again and this time you're going to go slower."

I was perfectly cooperative and I don't think I'll catch poo poo for it so I'm more amused at her total lack of patience than anything. She didn't even stay on the phone long enough to speak to a supervisor. Bahaha.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
That's how you deal with the lovely calls. They become war stories and you laugh about how terrible they were as human beings.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

cuntvalet posted:

Okay I'm starting to think I have the vocal equivalent of bitchy resting face (when you're not mean or angry but people think you look bitchy?). I have a phone voice which is calmer and softer than my regular speaking voice but I just had a customer request to speak to a supervisor because she didn't like my tone and I was "being short" with her when I was speaking like I would to anybody else.

Granted she was one of those customers who taking any little thing as an offense because she's mad that she was told incorrect information or whatever. She threatened to cancel all of her services through us and it was all I could do to not say "Cool! Let me get you to our cancellation department!"

As I was gathering information to get her to supervisor she said "You know what?! I'll call back later and talk to someone else!" and slammed down the phone. :byewhore:

I feel kinda bad because she demanded my employee number and I gave it. But so used to giving it for escalations I rhymed it off fairly quickly and I think she thought I was doing it to spite her. Though I nearly burst into giggles when her response was "No. You're GOING to repeat that again and this time you're going to go slower."

I was perfectly cooperative and I don't think I'll catch poo poo for it so I'm more amused at her total lack of patience than anything. She didn't even stay on the phone long enough to speak to a supervisor. Bahaha.

I know I sound like an rear end in a top hat on the phone all the time, I have a "I don't actually give a gently caress, yes you are bothering me voice." but nobody seems to care. I do what I need to do, I'm efficient, and basically the fact that I sound like an uncaring robot is offset for customers by the fact that I'm good at what I do and fix their poo poo. I get very few escalations so none of my sups give a gently caress.

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Senor Candle posted:

My favorite is when they continue to ask who is calling them after I ask for someone who doesn't live there.

At that point what does it matter? You know its a wrong number why are you still talking to me?

Ha, I love that too. Too bad I can't just hang up. It's extra fun when they call back and yell for awhile after we've left a voicemail saying who we called for.

jassi007 posted:

I'm sorry your mom isn't well. :(

It's a technicality in a lot of ways, but the calls I make aren't really unsolicited. These folks have willingly given their contact info to the company I'm representing in that call. For example, say I'm representing Asshats Unlimited. We might call you for any number of reasons:
-You looked at a Hat online and you want information on fabric styles. We'll call with that info and see if you want an appointment for a fitting.
-You came into your local Hat store and you didn't buy anything. We'll call to ask how your visit was and try to determine why you didn't buy a Hat.
-You bought a Hat. How do you like your Hat so far?
-You had your Hat repaired. We would like to know if they did it properly.
-You bought a Hat several years ago. You qualify for an upgrade to a Fancy Hat. Want info on that?
-We notice it's been awhile since you had your Hat dry-cleaned. Would you like to come in an have your Hat serviced? I can make an appointment for you. I have a coupon for you!
-We've determined that Hats have a potential safety hazard. We want you to know, and we would like you to bring your Hat in so we can fix it.

I totally understand that these calls aren't necessarily something people look forward to. But people have given their info to someone who wants to sell them a Hat. They're going to call you, or rather, have me call you. If you aren't interested, or you don't want to be contacted, just say so and we'll take you off the list and we won't call you again. I can't guarantee that someone from Asshats Unlimited won't call you, but our company won't. Honestly, if you don't want a company to call or email you, don't give them that info. A lot of folks don't seem to know this, but in the US, the Do-Not-Call List doesn't apply to companies you've given your info to, or their authorized representatives. We aren't going through the phonebook and asking random people to buy Hats. These are folks who have expressed interest in Hats, or already have one.

And frankly, it works. Hat sellers love us because their sales, return visits, etc, are up. They get feedback on their performance without having to tie up their in-house staff to do the busywork of following up. As long as it keeps helping them hustle Hats, they're going to keep us around. From their perspective, if they're selling more Hats, then gently caress the people who don't like the phone calls. It's amazing really, that lots of people are happy to speak with me, or will at least put up with it and get it over with. Especially if they had a bad experience- they're always over the moon to tell me all about it. Those are always kind of fun because I've heard some crazy poo poo. Assuming what these customers say is true, Hat Staff do some really hosed-up and underhanded poo poo.

With that being said, if I reach someone who is on their way to a funeral, or is in the hospital visiting someone, or something like that, I won't push you to speak with me. I will apologize, and set the system to call you in a month so you won't keep being bothered, and feel bad about it for the rest of the day. I really don't want to bother people. I'd rather be doing almost anything else than this, but the power company is rather insistent that I pay them every now and again. I need a job, and they hired me, and they pay me better than retail and food service. I don't enjoy it, but I can tolerate it. I just wish people would understand that I'm not calling for the enjoyment of pissing you off. At the same time, I wish people would be a little kinder sometimes. Especially when I am reaching a different person than I meant to bother today. I didn't call to waste YOUR time, so calm down.

(I didn't mean you personally, jassi007, I meant general "you")

foobyfooby fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 4, 2013

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

cuntvalet posted:

This is quite possibly the thing I love to do the most. Oh you want to cancel your card because your interest has gone up cause you can't even pay it on time? Absolutely! Good luck getting another card with your history! Have a nice day, don't let the door hit your rear end on the way out. :byewhore:

I know this probably isn't what you're actually selling but I really, really wish it was.

Chicken Doodle fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 4, 2013

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

foobyfooby posted:

Ha, I love that too. Too bad I can't just hang up. It's extra fun when they call back and yell for awhile after we've left a voicemail saying who we called for.

I had that happen yesterday. I called some guy and was told we had the wrong number. I told him sorry about that and that I'd take him out and immediately hung up. Right after I cleared that call out my system flipped me over to inbound which was him calling back to let me know that he had already told someone to take him out of there and that I had to listen to him complain. Which I did for like 30 seconds before I hung up on him again.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Senor Candle posted:

A while back I'd gotten a new phone number and had constant calls, mostly from collections agencies, for whoever had had the number before me. None of the reps believed me that they had the wrong number, but I'd try to get the company info anyway so I could at least try to complain about it. Usually they hung up on me when I asked where they were calling from.

After about 3 months of this, I just got another new number.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Man. There's a cancel save rep here named Val who has this thick western European accent, and I love it every time I get him, it's like talking to Count Dracula.

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Chicken Doodle posted:

I know this probably isn't what you're actually selling but I really, really wish it was.

Me too.

There's no policy that I can find forbidding me to talk smack on the Internet, but just in case, yeah, I help hawk hats.

Senor Candle posted:

I had that happen yesterday. I called some guy and was told we had the wrong number. I told him sorry about that and that I'd take him out and immediately hung up. Right after I cleared that call out my system flipped me over to inbound which was him calling back to let me know that he had already told someone to take him out of there and that I had to listen to him complain. Which I did for like 30 seconds before I hung up on him again.

I've had that happen. On my second or third day out of training, I arrive at work, find a seat and log in. My first call is an inbound call. "Pablo" would like to know who has called his phone- some calls we leave voicemails, and some we don't- and why. When a person calls in, we thank them and ask their name to give us time to pull up the record of that call, because for some stupid fuckin' reason, it doesn't do it automatically. Pablo starts yelling at me, and then my computer freezes up. The phone's working, but the software with the scripts is not. So he's yelling and I'm apologizing, saying we'll call you back, my system's not cooperating, and he's not taking it well. (We do so many different types of calls, and each type has like a jillion different scripts, that I can't just bullshit my way through it.) Then the whole system crashes, which means I effectively hung up on him.

I restart the computer, log back in, and the first call the dialer sends me is an Inbound. It's Pablo again! Now he's extra-angry, which is understandable. I click on the button to pull up the record and appropriate script and the drat thing crashes again, hanging up on him a second time. I moved to another seat and had no further problems. I'm sure the person who ended up getting Pablo that third time didn't have an easy time of it. Sorry, co-worker, I didn't mean to do that to you.

I avoid that computer now.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

I've done that a few times. After bitching and complaining for 15 minutes and not liking the answers I give them (No I cannot give you your phone number, call a friend. It's not my fault you don't use your phone, you can buy a cheapo for 5 bucks at walmart). Then they start going "I HATE YOUR COMPANY SO MUCH I'M JUST GOING TO LEAVE." I interrupted one person and told them I'd get them to retention so they could handle the disconnection. Most people get the point there's a few that don't. My supervisor rolled his eyes and told me not to do that. ... I still do.

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

Gothmog1065 posted:

I've done that a few times. After bitching and complaining for 15 minutes and not liking the answers I give them (No I cannot give you your phone number, call a friend. It's not my fault you don't use your phone, you can buy a cheapo for 5 bucks at walmart). Then they start going "I HATE YOUR COMPANY SO MUCH I'M JUST GOING TO LEAVE." I interrupted one person and told them I'd get them to retention so they could handle the disconnection. Most people get the point there's a few that don't. My supervisor rolled his eyes and told me not to do that. ... I still do.

I worked at a call center before my current one that graded our customers. Anyone at a C or less that threatened to cancel services we were supposed to do it right on the spot.

:byodood: If you dont fix my phone I'm canceling my services right now
:c00l: Ok sir I've canceled your service effective at the end of the billing cycle. Anything else I can do for you sir?
:byodood: Oh well I wasn't really going to cancel....Can I just keep my service and my phone the way it is?
:c00l: Yes sir with just a simple 35 dollar reconnection fee....

I didn't keep that job terribly long.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

The thing that really made me chuckle after the call was that last night I had a dream where a customer was bitching about how they have this service with us and that one and they were going to cancel and I cut them off with "Cool! If you'd like to cancel, I'd be more than happy to get you to the correct department. Have fun with your cancellation fees!" in a super upbeat voice.

Even my dreams about speaking freely to customers are kinda dull. Oh well!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I work tech support for an american insurance company (service centre based in England, I get a lot of "I love your accent" :3:) and I got the worst call this morning. Calling about a server issue while getting into a taxi. Why would you do that?
"What's your server's IP address"
"I can't get to that as I'm in a taxi"
"What's the error?"
"It's not pinging"
"Can I get an error code?"
"I'm sorry I'm not in the office"

Either leave after the call and get home late, or hand off the phone to a colleague on your way out. Don't just say "I'm having an issue with a server, good look diagnosing it :downs:"

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I once absolutely refused to continue troubleshooting someone's poo poo until they pulled off the road because they thought it was a great idea to try to get their VPN problem fixed while they were commuting on the highway.

I could not wrap my head around it. Yeah driving 75 MPH on the expressway is a great time to be loving around with your laptop.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
An MSP called us after having to leave the customer site because it was closing for the day, trying to get us to help with VPN issues without access to the machine. On a cell phone. Standing next to a highway. In India.

I'm not sure how the guy here was able to even understand a word he was saying, let alone help him.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

TokenTrevor posted:

I worked at a call center before my current one that graded our customers. Anyone at a C or less that threatened to cancel services we were supposed to do it right on the spot.

:byodood: If you dont fix my phone I'm canceling my services right now
:c00l: Ok sir I've canceled your service effective at the end of the billing cycle. Anything else I can do for you sir?
:byodood: Oh well I wasn't really going to cancel....Can I just keep my service and my phone the way it is?
:c00l: Yes sir with just a simple 35 dollar reconnection fee....

I didn't keep that job terribly long.

I love that, my supervisor did something similar once. I forgot the context but he was belligerant and asking us to do something actually impossible at that moment.

:byodood: If you won't do what I'm requesting right now I am cancelling!!
:c00l: Well, sir, as I am unable to fulfill your request, I'll assist you with the cancellation. Did you want that effective tonight or for tomorrow so you have time to set up other insurance?
:byodood: Uh....I......I'll call back later. *click*

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You guys would like mortgage collections.

:argh: I demand you modify my loan to a lower interest rate or ill take my business elsewhere!
:allears: sir, you owe our company $200,000 and you cant make the minimum payment on time. This fact is why your loan was transferred to us in the first place. No other company wants your "business". So how about we work to bring your account in good standing so these calls will stop an eventually you may be able to refinance.
:argh: I demand to speak to your manager!
:allears: My manager cant tell you anything i haven't already
:argh: Put him on!
:allears: Sir, i'm not going to do that so you can work with me or we can call you again in a few hours
:argh: *click*

Manager :respek: Me

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

SpartanIV posted:

You guys would like mortgage collections.

:argh: I demand you modify my loan to a lower interest rate or ill take my business elsewhere!
:allears: sir, you owe our company $200,000 and you cant make the minimum payment on time. This fact is why your loan was transferred to us in the first place. No other company wants your "business". So how about we work to bring your account in good standing so these calls will stop an eventually you may be able to refinance.
:argh: I demand to speak to your manager!
:allears: My manager cant tell you anything i haven't already
:argh: Put him on!
:allears: Sir, i'm not going to do that so you can work with me or we can call you again in a few hours
:argh: *click*

Manager :respek: Me

Where do I apply?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

My last day of working at a call center for Keurig I got a call from someone who purchased 100 k-cups of coffee without actually trying out the flavor first. The conversation went something like this

"So can you refund for the coffee?"
"I can give you a coupon for a free 5-pack :v:"

It seems like a simple thing, but it was cathartic as hell since I could actually tell customers what Im capable of doing without caring about management giveing bad scores for not 'Giving the customer a good impression of Keurig' because the customer did something stupid.

This is much better than the month before when Keurig brewers were literally breaking for no reason. And I worked a late shift. So people would call, rightfully pissed off that their $120 Mr. Coffee broke because some jackass in corporate decided to offshore production to some Yangtze sweatshop for the Christmas season. Im supposed to transfers the customers to people given training beyond "Read the script and try not to kill yourself", but they go home at 8pm and I work till 11. So I wound up with a bunch of west coasters pissed at me because I would have to tell them to leave number for a call back. Not that the callback generally asks that you be near the brewer for troubleshooting. When most of these guys are at work. So they're instructed to call back when they are off work, which is also when the troubleshooters are off work. So they get pissed at me because of the phone tag Im required to set them up with, the company hates me because I cant fix the brewers they hosed up and trashed their reputation, and I hate me becuase the urge to swerve into oncoming traffic was growing stronger and strong.

Christ I glad not to be working their anymore.