Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
So, any other Goons going to QCon Shanghai tonight, or over the weekend? I reckon I'd be up for a beer or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
If you're going into Tibet and don't have Tibetan friends, you should definitely take a group tour thing. It'll get you straight to and from the things you want to see.

I have a lot of Tibetan friends and we hang out at the bar often. They always invite me to their hometown but they just say "Parts I want to gently caress you!" way too much when they're drunk. I don't want to go there alone and find out they were serious.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

If one has roommates how expensive is Shanghai for rent? I may be transferring to Jingan.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Anyone want to go to Chongqing next weekend?

Magna Kaser posted:

If one has roommates how expensive is Shanghai for rent? I may be transferring to Jingan.
The beginning of the end for the Chengdugooncrew. I'm out half way through January.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Ok I'm proposing to the girlfriend tomorrow night, at the end of her Master's recital, on stage in front of a ton of people. I got the ring today. I might be having a minor heart attack.

Here's where you guys come in: I need a good VPN provider with Chinese language instructions for Mac and PC. I'm going to put it on Ustream or JustinTV for her parents to watch but I'm told they're blocked in China. Or I need a live streaming site that would work.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man you came here pretty last minute. Anyway you could call her parents via WeChat and use a video call that way? Don't know if her parents would use WeChat or not, would require a smartphone. I'm not very tech savvy at all, once all the China goons regain consciousness this morning I'm sure they can offer up some suggestions.

Good luck buddy!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ZombieParts posted:

I have a lot of Tibetan friends and we hang out at the bar often. They always invite me to their hometown but they just say "Parts I want to gently caress you!" way too much when they're drunk. I don't want to go there alone and find out they were serious.

So where are you based in China?

Tom Smykowski posted:

Anyone want to go to Chongqing next weekend?

The beginning of the end for the Chengdugooncrew. I'm out half way through January.

So soon? That's too bad where are you going? I was thinking of giving you guys a visit March/April. See my gag when we go for hotpot!

El_Matarife posted:

Ok I'm proposing to the girlfriend tomorrow night I need a good VPN provider with Chinese language instructions for Mac and PC.

Good luck!

Sounds great, can you elaborate some more? Tell me if I'm right ok? You and your girlfriend are in the US and you want to propose to her tomorrow night. You also want her parents in China to watch the event live through Ustream/JustinTV and need a VPN?

In this case, I think the biggest problem is the internet speed in China. The non Chinese sites can be really really slow especially with a VPN. Let me ask around for a Chinese internet stream, man wish you asked this question earlier so we could have run tests and all. This is like rolling out a new deployment live without using VMware. I got to pick some Singapore goon up in 3 hours so I might not be done in time with the instructions.

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

Magna Kaser posted:

You coming to Jingan? Great area but its becoming more expensive pretty quick due to all of the boutique wine shops popping up. A few new high rise complexes are going up which is bringing up the area but at the same time making a lot of noise!

Expect a place for 2 people to be about 7000-8000 rmb a month total. A single would be about 4500-5000.

I'm looking for places just outside the area and will be moving out in a few months. I like my place but its too expensive and the noise is driving me crazy. A new high rise is being built half a block away and the construction is happening all goddamn night!

Calyn
Sep 3, 2011
We just rented a 92 mē apartment in a new complex in Jiading for 3200 a month. The commute from here to Jingan would be around 45 minutes depending on the nearest metro station, but we've also checked out other apartments for around the same price that would be closer to the city.

Then again there is basically nothing going on around here. :P

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
^You might as well live in Suzhou if you want a cheap apartment. The commute would be similar.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Calyn posted:

We just rented a 92 mē apartment in a new complex in Jiading for 3200 a month. The commute from here to Jingan would be around 45 minutes depending on the nearest metro station, but we've also checked out other apartments for around the same price that would be closer to the city.

Then again there is basically nothing going on around here. :P

Can you please post some pictures of your neighbourhood? Friend of mine is living in the end of Line 1, Xinzhuang. She's staying with 3 other room mates in a 250 mē apartment and her room rent is 1320 a month. But there's no elevator :smith:

Oh are you guys coming to the Shanghai goooooon meet, Saturday November 16th?

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002

caberham posted:

Sounds great, can you elaborate some more? Tell me if I'm right ok? You and your girlfriend are in the US and you want to propose to her tomorrow night. You also want her parents in China to watch the event live through Ustream/JustinTV and need a VPN?

In this case, I think the biggest problem is the internet speed in China. The non Chinese sites can be really really slow especially with a VPN. Let me ask around for a Chinese internet stream, man wish you asked this question earlier so we could have run tests and all. This is like rolling out a new deployment live without using VMware. I got to pick some Singapore goon up in 3 hours so I might not be done in time with the instructions.

Exactly. Sorry, I've been under the gun and didn't even think about asking. I only decided to get serious about a live stream a few days ago. A few websites indicate JustinTV works in China. UStream is almost certainly banned. If there's a site that works without VPN, that'd be great.

I do want to hook her parents up with VPN at some point, all her Dad does in the States is browse the unfiltered internet for news and go to Vegas to gamble, heh.

(By the way how's the VMware jobs scene in China, we should talk. I'll PM you.)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

AfroNinja posted:

You coming to Jingan? Great area but its becoming more expensive pretty quick due to all of the boutique wine shops popping up. A few new high rise complexes are going up which is bringing up the area but at the same time making a lot of noise!

Expect a place for 2 people to be about 7000-8000 rmb a month total. A single would be about 4500-5000.

I'm looking for places just outside the area and will be moving out in a few months. I like my place but its too expensive and the noise is driving me crazy. A new high rise is being built half a block away and the construction is happening all goddamn night!

New office will be in Jingan, but I don't know if I'll be there 'cause I'm cheap. This is the third time my boss has wanted me to transfer to Shanghai this year so everyone is thinking it might happen for real now. I don't mind having a commute, I'm used to an hour-ish both ways. I've already accepted the fact I'm going to have to live with people, but I want to know roughly how much more it's going to cost me.

I'm more sad cause I just found a great place (80m2 to myself) 5 minutes from my current office for 1700/月. :qq: Chengdu~~~: qq:

Arakan posted:

^You might as well live in Suzhou if you want a cheap apartment. The commute would be similar.

I lived in Suzhou for a while, and honestly wouldn't mind it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

This may not be worth much, but Justin.Tv and twitch.tv both worked for me, but UStream was taking too long to load video so I stopped trying. I imagine that if china throttles traffic to these sites that twitch would be faster if not only because dota. This is without a VPN--I can't access facebook and twitter and stuff.

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Magna Kaser posted:

I lived in Suzhou for a while, and honestly wouldn't mind it.

Yea I wasn't being facetious. You are looking at 23 minutes from Suzhou North to Hong Qiao, and 27 minutes from Suzhou station. Then from Hong Qiao to downtown can't be more than like 15-20 minutes unless you have to transfer I guess. So if you can live within 10-15 minutes of one of the train stations in Suzhou it's almost the same amount of commute and you'll pay half the rent.

danse macabre
Oct 29, 2010
I work as a consultant a big 4 professional services (accounting) firm and I'm thinking about working in China. Currently the China offices don't do the work that my division does, which makes a secondment/internal transfer very difficult.

I saw on linkedin that a competitor had a position open that would suit me perfectly. It got me thinking about potentially leaving my firm. However, I'm not sure of the best way to go about finding jobs in China for professionals. Google searches get flooded with teaching jobs. What's the best way to go about finding non-ESL jobs in China?

danse macabre fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 2, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

El_Matarife posted:

UStream is almost certainly banned. If there's a site that works without VPN, that'd be great.

Ummm my girlfriend just suggested Skype video. Kind of makes sense for one to one. Can you dual stream or you want multiple Chinese connections? Anyways she's looking. Will get back to you soon

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Anyone have a recommendation for a good hot pot place in Chengdu? Non hot pot suggestions also welcome...

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
There is the goon-run HostVPN. I'm using it right now connected to their server in Japan and it has been great so far. There is a trial period for just one penny if you wanna give it a try.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

danse macabre posted:

What's the best way to go about finding non-ESL jobs in China?

Search using key words that WILL appear for your job, but will NOT appear for ESL. If the site you're using allows Boolean searching add terms to exclude things that appear in ESL but not in your job, like "-teaching -teacher -ESL -kindergarten" and such until you have what you want.

This is the approach to use to find ANYTHING on the Internet, BTW.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

danse macabre posted:

I work as a consultant a big 4 professional services (accounting) firm and I'm thinking about working in China. Currently the China offices don't do the work that my division does, which makes a secondment/internal transfer very difficult.

I saw on linkedin that a competitor had a position open that would suit me perfectly. It got me thinking about potentially leaving my firm. However, I'm not sure of the best way to go about finding jobs in China for professionals. Google searches get flooded with teaching jobs. What's the best way to go about finding non-ESL jobs in China?

What are you looking for? I can check our Chinese internal job listings for China if you'd like, PM me or mail me at username@username.org (I work for Deloitte, not in China though).

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
I've been nagging my co-teacher lately to get some things taken care of for me and I baked some cookies as a thank you. I think she thought I was trying to bribe her or something. It's of course my fault, my messages were a bit vague.

:patriot: Hi Co-Teacher, can I know where your apartment is? I have something to give you.

:china: What? Like teacher materials?

:patriot: Oh I've got a gift to give you, I'd like to give it to you today if it's convenient.

:china: I'm sorry, I could not accept your gift.

:patriot: I baked you some cookies to say thank you because I often ask for your help. If it is not appropriate, I'm very sorry.

:china: It doesn't matter, forget it. No problem, any time!

:patriot: Thanks again. Have a good weekend.

Anyway... I've got 8 delicious cookies and a big, red face now.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Magna Kaser posted:

New office will be in Jingan, but I don't know if I'll be there 'cause I'm cheap. This is the third time my boss has wanted me to transfer to Shanghai this year so everyone is thinking it might happen for real now. I don't mind having a commute, I'm used to an hour-ish both ways. I've already accepted the fact I'm going to have to live with people, but I want to know roughly how much more it's going to cost me.

Foreign coworker of mine pays ~3,200rmb/month for a small first-floor apartment that is 10-15 minutes walk from the Xujiahui metro station, no roommates necessary. I think it just takes a little more time to hunt around for a place.

Edit: He started renting the place in late April, I think.

danse macabre posted:

If you're looking for finance jobs, you might be able to find something at eFinancialCareers.cn

LentThem fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Nov 2, 2013

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Woodsy Owl posted:

:china: It doesn't matter, forget it. No problem, any time!
It is amazing how many of my conversations end with this phrase. Though, "No sweat!" has also been tossed in a lot the last few days.

I had a question, in general: to send mail, like a letter, can I use standard roman script/postage format (mail for north america) or is there some kind of combination/magical code I need to put on my envelope?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Ummm my girlfriend just suggested Skype video. Kind of makes sense for one to one. Can you dual stream or you want multiple Chinese connections? Anyways she's looking. Will get back to you soon

I just assumed the WeChat video feed would be better as I think almost all Chinese people WeChat. I never use Skype in China, it doesn't work like half the time for me. WeChat always works and can be done on a mobile phone, while Skype needs a computer, doesn't it? Anyway, that was why I suggested the WeChat video function.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I've become a fan of Google Hangouts lately. It does everything Skype premium can do but for free.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Ceciltron posted:

I had a question, in general: to send mail, like a letter, can I use standard roman script/postage format (mail for north america) or is there some kind of combination/magical code I need to put on my envelope?

You absolutely have to include a Chinese and Anglicized recipient address regardless of whether you're sending to/from China from/to North America. You should probably include both for your sender address as well.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Does anyone have a problem taking anyone or anything seriously in China? I can't shake the feeling that everything is a tragically unfunny joke, as if everyone is playing a part in a high-school-caliber performance of "Developed Nation."

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Woodsy Owl posted:

Does anyone have a problem taking anyone or anything seriously in China? I can't shake the feeling that everything is a tragically unfunny joke, as if everyone is playing a part in a high-school-caliber performance of "Developed Nation."

This makes me cry at night, whenever I don't drink.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Kids talking about killing Chinese is serious business. Even Jimmy Kimmel will apologize!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

caberham posted:

Kids talking about killing Chinese is serious business. Even Jimmy Kimmel will apologize!

I heard they're getting together money to sue? I don't know what they're going to sue for.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

truavatar posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a good hot pot place in Chengdu? Non hot pot suggestions also welcome...

How much to you want to spend? Long Sen Yuan (龙森园) is the best hot pot I've ever had, but it's also pretty expensive. I'm talking at least a few hundred RMB per person if you're going with less than 6. I think the soup itself starts at 200-300. With more people it becomes a bit more affordable. Their claim to fame is they spend a year developing their soups before putting them for sale. They're also pretty unique in that they only have one location, which means you will have to wait/make a reservation. It's pretty central and totally walk-able from line 2. you can check it out here.

If you don't want to go with that, I honestly feel most bigger hot pot places are about the same. That's the only hot pot place that has ever blown me away, though. Shu Jiu Xiang Hot Pot (蜀九香火锅) is a local favorite and has locations all over town, just throw that in to baidu maps and you'll find one. Other than those two you can walk for like 2 minutes in Chengdu and run across 800 hot pot places so it's pretty easy.

For non-hot pot, Gingko is the perennial fancy smancy restaurant. I've never been there but I've heard it's alright. I think Caberham went?

Another of my favorites is ribs, which are also a sichuan specialty (though they get overshadowed by hot pot and spicy things). Da zui ba wang pai gu (大嘴霸王排骨, fun fact: it means BIG MOUTH KING RIBS) is a franchise that has a bunch of locations around town. The ribs are pricy, but worthwhile, and their other dishes are more affordable. They have hot-pot ribs as well which are awesome. Also, don't worry about the price too much on these because unlike most ribs in China these are proper ribs with a pretty good amount of meat on them. My favorite is the fen zheng pai gu (粉蒸排骨) which are ribs that are steamed in batter. If you skip their crazy poo poo like shrimp and pig trotter stir fry, it should end up <100RMB per person.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Woodsy Owl posted:

I used to think this all the time, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

I had no idea what you meant by this, so I did the obligatory googling.

Findings: Jimmy Kimmel is still the same shithead comedian he was in the 90s.

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Thanks for the help guys, I've settled on JustinTV. Wish me luck!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Hey I don't remember his screen-name was but there was a Uni teacher in China who came to Seoul and was very unimpressed with my tiny aquarium. Well I extended my contract and to celebrate I upgraded a bit.

45x45x45 :c00lbert:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

blinkyzero posted:

I used to think this all the time, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

For a Uyghur to attack Kynesgrove, is nowhere safe?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

GuestBob posted:

For a Uyghur to attack Kynesgrove, is nowhere safe?

Argonians make excellent archers, but poor ESL teachers since the Chinese try to eat them.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

God gave you two languages and you use both of them to talk about basketball, I can respect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003