Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Glad I asked! That's worth the extra cost for sure.

Thanks for the info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Go 2008.5 and up. Much nicer.

Grand Touring for the seats.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Comradephate posted:

Glad I asked! That's worth the extra cost for sure.

Thanks for the info.

GT or bust, check the motor mounts, also ask if the car's had smoking turbo/fuel pump issues and if they've done the TSB. Nav is generally not worth it as well but haven't seen too many with nav either way.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

air- posted:

GT or bust, check the motor mounts, also ask if the car's had smoking turbo/fuel pump issues and if they've done the TSB. Nav is generally not worth it as well but haven't seen too many with nav either way.

Is there a TSB for the fuel pump?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

MetaJew posted:

Is there a TSB for the fuel pump?

Yeah, the one with the P2187 CEL: (and duh I should have just posted this link, sorry)
https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200025764-Mazda-Technical-Service-Bulletins-TSB-

E: So random thought that's been stewing in my mind.
Perhaps we should think about starting a new thread since there's a whole new model generation of Mazdas hitting the streets these days. Good, bad idea? Figure it'll get new people chiming in, it makes sense to me, plus the OP is pretty outdated. I can't even tell who else here still has a Gen1 :smith: And at this point, the MS3/MS6 platform has matured to where we can have a one stop resource with a lot of good information, if anything to keep people from having to trudge through being called brownies at MSF.

air- fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 2, 2013

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
I'm looking at the spec page for the new 3 sedan, what's the difference between keyless entry and advanced keyless entry? Do you still have to stick the key in a slot with the SV and Sport models? That seems like it would defeat the purpose of push button start, might as well just have a regular key.

I'm coming from an Altima where even the base model has the intelligent key thing where I can just keep it in my pocket at all times.

SiB
May 6, 2005
All 2014 Mazda 3 are push button, leave the key in your pocket. The advanced gives you a little lock button on the outside door handle, so as long as the key is close to the car you can unlock it without using the actual remote.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

SiB posted:

All 2014 Mazda 3 are push button, leave the key in your pocket. The advanced gives you a little lock button on the outside door handle, so as long as the key is close to the car you can unlock it without using the actual remote.

My MS6 has something similar. It may not seem like much, but IT WILL ABSOLUTELY SPOIL YOU. gently caress fishing for keys.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Revvik posted:

My MS6 has something similar. It may not seem like much, but IT WILL ABSOLUTELY SPOIL YOU. gently caress fishing for keys.

You ain't wrong. I found myself looking for the outer button on every car I drove after the MS6. The new Miata has it too but the key isn't syncing with the car properly.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh that's cool. Keyless entry use to just mean you have a remote with an unlock / lock button.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Pretty sure the advanced key-less entry system on the new Mazda 3 also has a remote starter on it too.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib

Kraftwerk posted:

Pretty sure the advanced key-less entry system on the new Mazda 3 also has a remote starter on it too.
Nope. Remote start is a extra accessory and I think is installed by the dealer. You also have to carry two fobs and apparently the remote start fob is quite large. Also I've read that once you start the car remotely when you open the doors the car turns off and you have to start it again. Now that's something I read on some random Mazda forum so who knows if it's legit. But if it is, it seems pretty silly, along with carrying two remotes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been putting too many miles on this:

I don't want to drive it in the snow, and when I visit family they hate riding around in it.

So, I picked this up yesterday:

Its a 2014 Grand Touring w/ Tech.

Comparisons:
The only other Mazda I've ever owned was a '94 Miata that was a lot of fun. I've been driving luxury cars for the past 10 years or so but couldn't justify $50k just for a winter vehicle that will probably be used to haul poo poo from garage sales/Ikea more than anything else.

I compared this to:
2014 Honda CRV EX-L w/ Nav
2013 Land Rover LR2 HSE
2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i
2011 BMW X3 28i
2010 BMW X5 3.0
2014 Toyota RAV4
2014 Volkswagen Tiguan SE AWD

CRV
The CRV made me want to kill myself it was so boring. Also I can't believe the top trim doesn't have touch entry, keyless ignition, adaptive xenon, etc. Drove fine, but again just very boring.

LR2
The cold weather package was awesome. The front windows actually have barely perceptible heating elements embedded designed to melt ice and snow. We did the Land Rover off road course at the dealership and it was very impressive. Weak engine. Only 230hp in a very heavy vehicle. Price was reasonable but to get NAV or iPod integration would have bumped the price up into loaded X1 territory.

X1
This thing is a blast. I can't believe how well it drives. Nimble, quick, it actually feels like a 3 series wagon. As usual with BMW the options are a killer. Would have been ~$42k negotiated sale price to get it the way I wanted it.

X3
Awesome. Just all around a great car. I could have picked this up used for $28k but it had 52k miles and they wanted an additional $3k to certify it. At that point I was approaching new X1 territory.

X5
Amazing. Would never own one outside of warranty. It's like the 7 series of the SUVs (Excuse me SAVs) and an S class wrapped into one. It massaged my rear end.

RAV4
:barf:

Tiguan
Great looks, fun to drive, overpriced options. I couldn't get the seating position right either. Would have been at least $38k to get the options I wanted.

Impressions
So anyway, I was hooked on the CX-5 as soon as I left the lot on the test drive. Very fun to drive. Fairly comfortable. I later took one out by myself and beat the poo poo out of it. The whole package gives me about 80% of what I'd get with the X1 at about $12k less with more cargo space and rear-seat leg/headroom.

The Honda dealership I went to practically tried to give away the CRV. As I said 2014, fully loaded minus rear-seat entertainment. Their first offer was $28,785, almost $4k under MSRP. I used this to get the two Mazda dealerships in town to bid off one another and got the CX-5 for $1495 under MSRP. They also gave me the base rate on the lease with no markup. The total rent charge on 36/36 is only $728 which is pretty phenomenal.

I was shooting for $2500 under MSRP but apparently they have very little room. I somewhat feel bad for not jumping at the insanely low CRV price but that thing was terrible.

I've put about 100 miles on it since yesterday and am a bit irritated by the interior fit and finish. I realize that I can't compare it to BMW but I'm not really liking some of the hard plastics and lack of little things like one-touch on the other three windows or one touch close on the moonroof, no rear-seat climate, no auto-dimming on the exterior mirrors, no power-folding mirrors, and the overall cheap feel of the steering wheel and control stalks.

Also, the NAV is horrendous and the USB interface with my iPhone is a total clusterfuck. Bluetooth works OK but the sound quality isn't as good as you can't browse your music via Bluetooth.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase, but I will probably go with BMW after my lease is up or take another look at Land Rover.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 3, 2013

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

shoophobo posted:

Nope. Remote start is a extra accessory and I think is installed by the dealer. You also have to carry two fobs and apparently the remote start fob is quite large. Also I've read that once you start the car remotely when you open the doors the car turns off and you have to start it again. Now that's something I read on some random Mazda forum so who knows if it's legit. But if it is, it seems pretty silly, along with carrying two remotes.

Reading other forums is not good for your health.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

Reading other forums is not good for your health.

While I agree with this, he is right.

https://www.mymazda.com/MusaWeb/pdf/manuals/CX5_M6_RemoteStart.pdf

You must still carry the standard fob.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Jealous Cow posted:

The Honda dealership I went to practically tried to give away the CRV.

The exact same thing happened to my aunt while trying to decide between a CRV and CX-5.
I thought she would go honda even though she liked the mazda better because mazda couldn't touch all the things honda was throwing at her.
She did end up getting the cx-5 though which was awesome.

You will enjoy it. Awesome write up by the way. Its nice to read summary reviews of all those other cars Ill probably never get around to driving.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So more possibly dumb questions. Is there any downside to buying a 2004 Mazda3 hatch over a 2005, other than the extra year of wear? Anything I should be looking for? I'm just trying to pick a car now and all the ones I see that have the features I want are 2004. I see a few 2005s in my price range with most of what I want as well, but for some reason none of the ones I looked at have the sunroof which I kind of always wanted in a car.

Not that it'll be a dealbreaker or anything, but if there's nothing particularly wrong with the 04s as opposed to the 05s then v:)v

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Not that it'll be a dealbreaker or anything, but if there's nothing particularly wrong with the 04s as opposed to the 05s then v:)v
04 vs. 05? I can't recall there being a huge reliability difference for either one. Check the passenger-side engine mount for leaking on either one.

edit: Though I'd be stunned if they were still the originals at this point. Those engine mounts were notoriously lovely.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 5, 2013

SiB
May 6, 2005

shoophobo posted:

Yep that's all right. The remote start fob is large, awkward to use and the range sucks, and the battery door comes off the back very easily. The car shuts off when you open the door, it's so it can't be stolen without the key.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
It's time for brakes for my 2008.5 MS3, does anyone have recommendation on pads? Are the stock rotors of good enough quality to keep?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Fart Cannon posted:

It's time for brakes for my 2008.5 MS3, does anyone have recommendation on pads? Are the stock rotors of good enough quality to keep?

I went with Hawk HPS pads on my 08.5. Reasonably priced and dust much much less than OEM, though I do miss the initial bite of the OEM pads. Overall braking power is the same though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'll second the HPS, except that you get used to the reduction in initial bite pretty quickly. Worth it to not have to clean the wheels every five minutes.

In my case I went with Centric rotors because mine had already warped (or uneven pad deposits or whatever) twice - once not long after I bought the car with 24k miles, and then again which drove me to replace the rotors and pads altogether. I meant to get the factory ones cut again but never needed to do front brakes again.

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER
How involved a job is it to change the ECT sensor on the turbo MZR? I'm doing mine (07 MS3)... soonish. Is it going to be necessary to drain the coolant?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

an audible groan posted:

How involved a job is it to change the ECT sensor on the turbo MZR? I'm doing mine (07 MS3)... soonish. Is it going to be necessary to drain the coolant?

Which one? There are apparently two ECT sensors. It says to drain the coolant but it doesn't look like you would have to. You'll probably lose a decent amount in the process but you can just top it off.

There is a rubber O-ring that you are supposed to replace for both of them.

Here is the procedure from the Mazda service manual.

Click for full size

Click for full size

an audible groan
Jan 2, 2005
NICE TRY SUCKER
Wow I only knew about number 1. Thanks!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Will I get any added benefit if I fill my MZ3 with premium instead of regular? I don't mind spending the extra money if it ensures my engine runs clean and trouble free. I heard using regular means you have to fill up with cleaning additives every now and then.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

No, use regular.

Bloody Typical
Oct 27, 2005

Hey, keep the noise down Jerk, this is a residential area.
Picked up a 6 MPS a couple of weeks ago, (in the best colour!) massive step up from my ST170 Focus that it replaced. :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey guys, sorry to keep waffling and coming in here asking for opinions on a different Mazda every time, but my budget increased a little and I've kind of narrowed it down to two cars I will possibly buy the weekend of the 29th. I'm just going off the titles the dealer gave me:

2009 Mazda 3 GT sport.

2010 Mazda 3 hatch.

Is there a good place I can go to look up the difference between the 2009 and 2010 3 hatch? I realize that the styling is the big one, and it's kind of making me lean towards the 2009 myself, but I want to know if I'm missing any big improvements by going down a year.

The 09 has the 2.3L vs 2.5 on the 2010 which is probably better for me, etc. They're both auto (boo, but yay for my terrible commute traffic honestly). Both dark gray hatch, not that it matters. The 09 has 98k (km) on the clock and the 10 has 84k. The 10 is also 3k more expensive.

Anyway, I realize I've been asking about a lot of cars in here and hopefully my dumb quest will be at an end and I'll be behind the wheel of a car I love. I'll be going in to look at these cars next weekend hopefully but it doesn't hurt to be armed with info.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think there was much in the way of mechanical difference between the to-'09 Mazda3 and the '10-'13 Mazda3 - I think a lot of the components under the skin are very similar, if not identical. The '10+ interior is considerably different, but that may not mean better (I've never sat in one so I can't say for my own preferences).

The only worrying thing there is "GT Sport" - they're combining two trims. Either it's a Grand Touring (which should have HID lights, LED taillights, automatic climate control, etc) or it's a Sport (which won't have any of those). Otherwise of the two I'd lean towards the 2009 myself.

For what it's worth, dealers seem to be terrible at figuring out what trim of Mazda3 they actually have. The one I traded in was a Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring, yet the dealer that ended up selling it, listed it as a Sport despite having the GT-only features.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, the listing is pretty vague as well, and this isn't a Mazda dealership so I don't really expect them to be experts, but you'd think they could figure it out by one means or another.

I'm leaning towards the 2009 as well, now. The 10 has a sunroof that I desperately wanted, but I don't really feel like spending an extra 3k just to get that. Plus I like the overall look of the 09 more.

Well, we'll see if they're still both there when I go next weekend. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the input!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only worrying thing there is "GT Sport" - they're combining two trims. Either it's a Grand Touring (which should have HID lights, LED taillights, automatic climate control, etc) or it's a Sport (which won't have any of those).
I see this confusion a lot. At least when I was buying my 3, there was the '3i' and '3s' which simply denoted the engine displacement. Then you got to trim levels of Sport, Touring, and Grand Touring. Since every Grand Touring was a '3s' you ended up with some dealers wanting to turn that 's' into 'Sport' so you see "Mazda 3 Sport Grand Touring."

Martytoof posted:

I'm leaning towards the 2009 as well, now. The 10 has a sunroof that I desperately wanted, but I don't really feel like spending an extra 3k just to get that. Plus I like the overall look of the 09 more.
Buy my '06 3s GT with sunroof. :haw:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've got an 11 (generally the same as a 10) and my brother has an 08 (generally the same as an 09), I personally find the interior of the 11 to be a big upgrade. The 11's 2.5 has a little more grunt out of the engine across the power band and its noticeable, but not hugely different. There's also tons of little differences and touches that make the 11 feel a lot more modern. As far as handling, they both seem broadly similar, with the 11 maybe a little heavier feeling but more neutral. The exterior is eye of the beholder obviously. I like the 11's looks in black or dark gray, with the sidemouldings giving it a cool look and the colors sorta demphasizing the grin.

In the end you've gotta decide if those little touches/improvements, a little less miles, and a little more power are worth 3k. I would spend for it, personally. If the 10' has a sunroof, that means its got the upgraded stereo too, so yeah. I would go with the 2010.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Did the first oil change on the speed this weekend. Holy poo poo that factory filter did not want to come off. Went through several tools before it finally came off. It was pretty beat up by then. The rest went fine.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the info, Cygni. My desire for the 09 is really just a gut feeling at this point. I imagine I'll take them both out on the road and make my decision then. Just going off of a photo I'd pick the 09 10/10 times.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Buy my '06 3s GT with sunroof. :haw:

But I don't get the mod discount anymore :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Mazda 3 trim levels & names are different between the U.S. and Canada. I think sport just means it's the hatch.

SiB
May 6, 2005
Why can't we have this in North America????? I would trade in my GM 1/2ton instantly.

http://youtu.be/RSzb5gb8jgY

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pretty okay tradeoff for not having a weird accent :3:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Martytoof posted:

Pretty okay tradeoff for not having a weird accent :3:

Oh yeah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m-y-qAbpL0