Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

Noni posted:

They didn't do anything about the TellSpec bullshit either. That was the fake food scanner that a bunch of goons and various anti-scam websites reported.

The pricks have almost raised 100k. gently caress you Indiegogo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Speaking of, the fake food scanner made it onto Fast Company today. Someone more knowledgeable about it should educate them:

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3020813/fund-this/point-this-magical-scanner-at-your-food-and-it-will-count-the-calories

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrAptronym posted:

I am horribly offended that Britain gets solid snake. He is an American Hero. (From japan)

EDIT: For bonus fun look at the backers pictures.

Canada gets Battletoads and Ezio? :confused:

Sigma-X posted:

he's rebranded his 'ork' versions of popular culture into countries for no goddamn reason. And he has 2d6 roll tables with effects if you roll a 1.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1822630877/exotitans

Oddly enough New Ork City is still a faction.

Is New Ork City part of the US? I don't get it. And is it its own country? Is it like a city-state? :psyduck:

America vs Britain vs Sweden vs New Orc City

What the crap.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

thylacine posted:

Speaking of, the fake food scanner made it onto Fast Company today. Someone more knowledgeable about it should educate them:

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3020813/fund-this/point-this-magical-scanner-at-your-food-and-it-will-count-the-calories

Well, they do have one thing right. The only way that thing is going to work is if it is actually magic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ranbo das posted:

Well, they do have one thing right. The only way that thing is going to work is if it is actually magic.

Even if it worked as planned (it won't) they're still full of poo poo because the device described wouldn't work for the purposes they're advertising.

At best, if this worked, you could point it at a large mass of contiguous material, like a block of Jell-O, and have it tell you the composition of that material.

But for prepared foods? They have a picture there with a complex meal on a plate, and you just point it at that thing and it tells you the total carbs and calories? No. loving. Way. If the laser hits meat its going to give a different reading than if it hits noodle or vegetable. (much less EACH different vegetable)

You'd have to manually scan every different food material in your plate, and then measure them by weight/volume, and then do the math to sum it all up and weight each one appropriately. Even if the device could do the math for you, you'd have to sit there and scan each element and weigh it and enter the weights into the machine. If a single scan can take a few minutes, that means sitting there for 30-40 minutes measuring your food before you start eating; by which time it'll be cold. And with slight imperfections in measurements, you'd get no better a reading on your food than just assuming the average values that you can find online in seconds.

And that's if it does work, which there's just no loving way.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Basically you'd have more success sliding your meal into an industrial centrifuge and having it separate all the individual compounds out into a nice, neat, layered soup. At least it would be done quickly so you could drink your steak and chips while it was still warm.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I edited out my name. Looks like shockingly, IndieGoGo might actually do something about Tentacle Grape.

Counterpoint:

quote:

Thank you for reaching out. Indiegogo empowers campaign owners and contributors to raise money for, or support, the things that matter to them. Because Indiegogo is an equal opportunity platform, a wide variety of subject matter and opinions may be expressed through campaigns. Because we do not curate these campaigns, the views reflected by campaign owners are not necessarily those of Indiegogo.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback, and we will be in touch if we have any questions.

So basically gently caress you, getting ours.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

KKKlean Energy posted:

Basically you'd have more success sliding your meal into an industrial centrifuge and having it separate all the individual compounds out into a nice, neat, layered soup. At least it would be done quickly so you could drink your steak and chips while it was still warm.

Or you could just set it on fire and determine ingredients and calories from observing the flame.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Or you could just eat your drat food and stop fretting over every spare carb.

I discovered the secret to making money on Kickstarter:

CTHULHU

CHILDREN'S

BOOKS

All of which have made far beyond their goals. I mean, the art is generally half-decent, but the "Ha ha, they combined cosmic horror with children's reading! How unexpectedly WACKY!" thing should not be this popular. Cthulhu mugs, t-shirts...the list goes on and on. And it's all about Cthulhu, Lovecraft's most overrated monster. He's small fry compared to pretty much every other major monster Lovecraft ever wrote about, and he got taken down by a steamboat in his own drat story. A STEAMBOAT.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Help feed this youtube star!

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/wing-s-boot-camp

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Are you sufficiently protected from rape? If you're worried about your level of rape protection then these fine folks have you covered:

ARWEAR - Confidence and Protection that can be Worn
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ar-wear-confidence-protection-that-can-be-worn

ARWEAR posted:

A clothing line offering wearable protection for when things go wrong.

There is a shocking lack of a jorts option. I am writing a sternly worded email as we speak.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

orphean posted:

Are you sufficiently protected from rape? If you're worried about your level of rape protection then these fine folks have you covered:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ar-wear-confidence-protection-that-can-be-worn

There is a shocking lack of a jorts option. I am writing a sternly worded email as we speak.

I'm not seeing how this is an awful kickstarter.

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

FlyinPingu posted:

I'm not seeing how this is an awful kickstarter.

It still won't stop someone from holding a knife to your throat and forcing you to take off your taint armor (or making you suck their peener...) but I'd say it's pretty helpful for drunk chicks passed out at frat houses. Overall I'd say it's not a terrible idea.

Unlike that lovely Steampunk Atari 2600 poster somebody (me) made. What were they (was I) thinking when that video was being made? Don't check it out. It's terrible.

KittyLitter has a new favorite as of 17:51 on Nov 3, 2013

isoprenaline
Jun 4, 2005

And there, till Christ call forth the dead,
In silence let him lie:
No need to waste the foolish tear,
Or heave the windy sigh:
The man had killed the thing he loved,
And so he had to die.

KittyLitter posted:

It still won't stop someone from holding a knife to your throat and forcing you to take off your taint armor (or making you suck their peener...) but I'd say it's pretty helpful for drunk chicks passed out at frat houses. Overall I'd say it's not a terrible idea.

Unlike that lovely Steampunk Atari 2600 poster somebody (me) made. What were they (was I) thinking when that video was being made? Don't click here.

Dude I hate steam punk. But with your video and pitch and product you are kinda... charming.

You are in the wrong thread you great big shill you.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
Has anyone said shitcoin yet?

e: wrong thread

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KittyLitter posted:

Unlike that lovely Steampunk Atari 2600 poster somebody (me) made. What were they (was I) thinking when that video was being made? Don't click here.

I hope that doesn't count as spam under the new GBS rules. :ohdear:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Another day, another pie-in-the-sky MMORPG pitch.

:fuckoff:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

They do say they've been working on it for three years already. Also, they have realistic support levels (all virtual rewards, nothing physical). The names are all very 'russian' sounding, I assume they're developing it in one of those countries which costs will be down.

That said, I wouldn't support it because of all of the obvious reasons, in particular none of them have any prior experience in the genre other than liking to play those games.

I do think it's pretty amazing that technology has progressed to the point that people think they can wrestle up an MMO in their garage.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Have you all seen this one yet?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/657642328/doobies-dog-house

Can't believe this dude got almost 15k.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Oh man, are you in for a twist.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats some insane poo poo for sure

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

frog dog

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

heh

heh i say

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when we used to mock Reddit for forming a witch hunt over a Kickstarter because they felt that it raised more money than it deserved and wasn't delivering on promises it made? Good thing Us Goons are above that.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Remember when we used to mock Reddit for forming a witch hunt over a Kickstarter because they felt that it raised more money than it deserved and wasn't delivering on promises it made? Good thing Us Goons are above that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Are you comparing the Doobie's Dogs project to Anita Sarkeesian's 'Tropes vs. Women in Video Games' or was there some other Reddit witch hunt that I missed?

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I think you're failing to realise that those goons and that thread would've been openly and relentlessly mocked by a lot of posters constantly if they didn't think they've gotten banned for doing so.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

PepperSinclaire posted:

In other dumb culinary Kickstarter news, local to me is this gimmicky nonsense. Environmentally friendly, you say? I would have thought not adding frivolous electronic components into a mug would be pretty environmentally sound, but hey, I'm not a design student, so...
The Smart Mug made funding, and then was cancelled yesterday. Apparently due to some kind of manufacturer dispute.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
It was ironic though. People were shitposting but with money

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

And Christmases.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

They're just doing waaaaay too many things. That's great and all, but the end result is going to be a huge tech demo, not a serious game.

Plus, they're going to eat through every dollar they've budgeted making the thing, and then what? Do they expect to run an MMORPG for nothing? Its crazy how naive everybody is about MMORPG infrastructure.

Game is trying to be Skyrim, Minecraft and Mount & Blade all at the same time. They have an impressive number of features implemented; except wait no they've been working on this for 3 years and this is all they have so far.

In 10 years they'll have a bit more to show.

Feature creep city.

Alan Smithee posted:

Eh, for some it started that way, but its pretty clear at least few people in that thread were being quite genuine.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Zaphod42 posted:

Eh, for some it started that way, but its pretty clear at least few people in that thread were being quite genuine.

I was one of those :saddowns:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

They're just doing waaaaay too many things.

No kidding.

[THE FOLLOWING IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM THE KICKSTARTER. QUOTE TAGS OMITTED FOR QUOTABILITY]

LIFE IS FEUDAL offer a host of incredible features making our game truly unique! It offer something for everyone, and the diverse and varied gameplay is enhanced by our continued commitment to adding new and cool stuff over time! Backers of this campaign will enjoy unlimited hours of adventuring, and very few players will ever be good enough, or skilled enough, to explore the rich and massive environment! Here is a quick breakdown of our games main features:

Massive Seamless Open-Ended World. LIFE IS FEUDAL features a massive 441 square kilometer open seamless world! Our game has island-like continent with different biomes such as plain, dense forest, steppe, desert, tundra and marsh, for example. All of the terrain is untouched nature inviting players to settle or invade! The continent is scattered with rivers, lakes and bays, and even has a roaring volcano!

• Free Terraforming & Tunnel Building. LIFE IS FEUDAL features 100% free terraforming and tunnel building! Dig tunnels, mines and moats, and expand them in all dimensions almost without limitations! You can raise and lower ground levels with a land-fall effect. Substances include soil, rock, granite, ore veins, clay, sand, and many more!
  • Free Modular & Predefined Construction of Buildings & Objects. LIFE IS FEUDAL features more than 100 buildings and objects! Most buildings can be placed anywhere with free rotation and are predefined. Fortifications are modular allowing you to design and build your own unique castles with pattern, towers, gates etc. You can even place palisade walls and fences.
  • Rich Crafting System. LIFE IS FEUDAL features a crafting system with more than 500 recipes, including but not limited to mining, smelting, forging, logging, carpentry, construction, masonry, architecture, farming, taming, procuration, cooking, tailoring, fishing and hunting! Crafting is enriched through clever use of mini-games.
  • Almost Unlimited Number of Unique Alchemy Combinations. LIFE IS FEUDAL features over 40 billion alchemy combinations unique to each player! And unlike other online games you need to learn, experiment and create your very own unique combinations. Alchemy is not just a matter of character skill, as it has strong emphasis on players spending time and resources on creating good recipes and combinations.
  • Innovative Mini-Games Concept. LIFE IS FEUDAL features a plethora of mini-games that adds immersion and fun to the medieval crafting process, and allows gamers to play isolated parts of the game directly from a browser! Mini-Games offer an opportunity to improve on a given craft, and rewards players with bonuses.
  • A No-target Combat System. LIFE IS FEUDAL features an advanced no target combat system, where combat can be experienced in either 1st or 3rd person view. There is no lock-on, and players must carry out individual actions such as swing, stab and block, for example.
  • Physics-Based Melee & Ranged Combat. Physics come into play as well, as does the quickness of the attacker and defender. A swift use of a sword at a high velocity causes extensive damage.
  • Realistic Player Damage System. With fractures and bleeding wounds you can create different unique combat tactics.
  • Full Loot. Added thrill and excitement of your adventures! Also when players die, loss of skill occurs by an alignment factor at random.
  • Skillcap & Statcap Systems. These will allow you to make almost any combination of skills that you think you need to have. You can design your own unique class and be like no one else in our world. That is the spirit of a true Sandbox!
  • Private Property & Land Claims. Grab some land for yourself or for your guild too. Divine law will protect your property standing on the claim from aggressors.
  • Complex Food & Cooking System. Cooking is no longer a secondary or non-existent skill. Being a good cook, who knows a lot of complex and tasty recipes, means that you and your friends or clients will be better fed and will have a skill raise bonuses!
  • Great selection of Medieval Weapons with Unique Combos & Effects. Up to 55 different medieval tools of killing and hurting. With their own combinations of directional attacks that will cause some harmful effects on your opponent, like knockdown, fracture, bleeding wound, crippled movement and many others!
  • Great selection of Tools that can be used as Militia Weapons! If you got jumped by some ragged bandit in the middle of your crops field, smash his face with a shovel! That will teach him a lesson.
  • Double Health & Stamina Bars. Double health and stamina bars represents your body status better. Players can be knocked out or dead, can be temporary out of breath or totally exhausted.
  • Original Battle Formation System. In massive battles, react accordingly to the combat situation and provide your Unit with a certain bonuses. But to receive these bonuses Unit members must be well organized and always keep formation.
  • Innovative Battle System. Battles will happen on an instanced server, without interference of 3rd parties, without senseless obstacles and with full statistic records. That is how history of feudal wars will be tracked!
  • Classic Siege System. As you have seen it in many other online games. Massive clash of players for a one certain castle.
  • Wild Animals Tracking & Hunting. You can find different tracks of different animals and follow them.

[END OF QUOTE]

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

DStecks posted:

No kidding.

[THE FOLLOWING IS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM THE KICKSTARTER. QUOTE TAGS OMITTED FOR QUOTABILITY]

LIFE IS FEUDAL offer a host of incredible features making our game truly unique! It offer something for everyone, and the diverse and varied gameplay is enhanced by our continued commitment to adding new and cool stuff over time! Backers of this campaign will enjoy unlimited hours of adventuring, and very few players will ever be good enough, or skilled enough, to explore the rich and massive environment! Here is a quick breakdown of our games main features:

Massive Seamless Open-Ended World. LIFE IS FEUDAL features a massive 441 square kilometer open seamless world! Our game has island-like continent with different biomes such as plain, dense forest, steppe, desert, tundra and marsh, for example. All of the terrain is untouched nature inviting players to settle or invade! The continent is scattered with rivers, lakes and bays, and even has a roaring volcano!

• Free Terraforming & Tunnel Building. LIFE IS FEUDAL features 100% free terraforming and tunnel building! Dig tunnels, mines and moats, and expand them in all dimensions almost without limitations! You can raise and lower ground levels with a land-fall effect. Substances include soil, rock, granite, ore veins, clay, sand, and many more!
  • Free Modular & Predefined Construction of Buildings & Objects. LIFE IS FEUDAL features more than 100 buildings and objects! Most buildings can be placed anywhere with free rotation and are predefined. Fortifications are modular allowing you to design and build your own unique castles with pattern, towers, gates etc. You can even place palisade walls and fences.
  • Rich Crafting System. LIFE IS FEUDAL features a crafting system with more than 500 recipes, including but not limited to mining, smelting, forging, logging, carpentry, construction, masonry, architecture, farming, taming, procuration, cooking, tailoring, fishing and hunting! Crafting is enriched through clever use of mini-games.
  • Almost Unlimited Number of Unique Alchemy Combinations. LIFE IS FEUDAL features over 40 billion alchemy combinations unique to each player! And unlike other online games you need to learn, experiment and create your very own unique combinations. Alchemy is not just a matter of character skill, as it has strong emphasis on players spending time and resources on creating good recipes and combinations.
  • Innovative Mini-Games Concept. LIFE IS FEUDAL features a plethora of mini-games that adds immersion and fun to the medieval crafting process, and allows gamers to play isolated parts of the game directly from a browser! Mini-Games offer an opportunity to improve on a given craft, and rewards players with bonuses.
  • A No-target Combat System. LIFE IS FEUDAL features an advanced no target combat system, where combat can be experienced in either 1st or 3rd person view. There is no lock-on, and players must carry out individual actions such as swing, stab and block, for example.
  • Physics-Based Melee & Ranged Combat. Physics come into play as well, as does the quickness of the attacker and defender. A swift use of a sword at a high velocity causes extensive damage.
  • Realistic Player Damage System. With fractures and bleeding wounds you can create different unique combat tactics.
  • Full Loot. Added thrill and excitement of your adventures! Also when players die, loss of skill occurs by an alignment factor at random.
  • Skillcap & Statcap Systems. These will allow you to make almost any combination of skills that you think you need to have. You can design your own unique class and be like no one else in our world. That is the spirit of a true Sandbox!
  • Private Property & Land Claims. Grab some land for yourself or for your guild too. Divine law will protect your property standing on the claim from aggressors.
  • Complex Food & Cooking System. Cooking is no longer a secondary or non-existent skill. Being a good cook, who knows a lot of complex and tasty recipes, means that you and your friends or clients will be better fed and will have a skill raise bonuses!
  • Great selection of Medieval Weapons with Unique Combos & Effects. Up to 55 different medieval tools of killing and hurting. With their own combinations of directional attacks that will cause some harmful effects on your opponent, like knockdown, fracture, bleeding wound, crippled movement and many others!
  • Great selection of Tools that can be used as Militia Weapons! If you got jumped by some ragged bandit in the middle of your crops field, smash his face with a shovel! That will teach him a lesson.
  • Double Health & Stamina Bars. Double health and stamina bars represents your body status better. Players can be knocked out or dead, can be temporary out of breath or totally exhausted.
  • Original Battle Formation System. In massive battles, react accordingly to the combat situation and provide your Unit with a certain bonuses. But to receive these bonuses Unit members must be well organized and always keep formation.
  • Innovative Battle System. Battles will happen on an instanced server, without interference of 3rd parties, without senseless obstacles and with full statistic records. That is how history of feudal wars will be tracked!
  • Classic Siege System. As you have seen it in many other online games. Massive clash of players for a one certain castle.
  • Wild Animals Tracking & Hunting. You can find different tracks of different animals and follow them.

[END OF QUOTE]

man I can't wait to spend 6 hours cooking chocobo stew in a video game this poo poo is making me hard, i was gonna spend money on my kid's christmas present but i think this guy deserves it more

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

I'll see your dumb MMO and raise.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orphean posted:

Those wont work by design on fatties. Are they saying they arent worth raping? Fat shaming KS

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

OB_Juan posted:

I'll see your dumb MMO and raise.

That game could actually happen, and at that budget. (Its pretty much just a glorified chatroom, and the art is lazy).

That said, the masses aren't exactly clamoring for a Jane Austen world simulator. :v:

quote:

The ball is one mini-game with dancing its own skill to be acquired and exercised. At dinner parties we will have games of Whist as well as other puzzles and word games. Men will want to hunt and fish during the season and women will enjoy sewing, embroidery, and playing the piano-forte.

:stonk: Nope, nevermind, they're just as batshit crazy.

quote:

The quest system allows us to create story lines involving the various players in the game based on their goals, situations, and the story arc of the village. The gossip system keeps us informed as to the goings on in the village and allows the development team to actively curate player experiences through quest modifications tailored to player's own stories.

That alone would be awesome, something MMOs need to incorporate more of. But... you ain't doin' that on 100K!

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Nov 5, 2013

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
The current internet isn't any good. We need to take the current internet and replace it with a new internet.

Guess what this is:

If you guessed that it's some guy's first encounter with Visual Studio, you'd be correct. It's also the future of home-school education software.

Have you always wanted to fill up your house with webcams so random people from all over the world can watch you all day long? Then RealityShowMe.com is totally your thing. For the low price of 50,000 dollars they'll let you have a 10% share in their profits, but if you don't have that sort of money to burn they'll be happy to give you a shoutout on FaceBook for 10 bucks. Or FaceBook and Instagram for just 25.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
New Internet, eh? About time! The Old Internet is full of terrible people, cats and porn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How did new internet guy get 2000 dollars?