Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I found this thread and came in here to say 'I dunno, maybe when I was like 20 and smoking a ton of weed myself and really had no idea about anything, I guess this woulda been cool. But I tried listening to this and it's basically whacked dudes saying dumb poo poo and laughing at each other'. I haven't done one with his guests though, because I just got on board so I'll look up some of those. The sci-fi ones which he's doing now though.. man.

Then I saw this:

moleman posted:

I love this show. It's hilariously enjoyable when you accept it for what it is: Rogan and his buddies are uncultured meatheads who are on a mission to improve themselves by taking a poo poo load of drugs and reading wikipedia articles on toxoplasmosis. It's a voyage of self discovery sponsored by the Fleshlight.

Which is perfect and should be in the OP.

Someone said something about him being a millionaire. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it true? Did he make this money? How? Did he ever fight at all, professionally? Who is Joe Rogan besides someone that can get worked up about things (smoke weed)? He's an actor, sure, I could see that on the Wiki page.. but is that it? TV personality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Tony Montana posted:

Someone said something about him being a millionaire. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it true? Did he make this money? How? Did he ever fight at all, professionally? Who is Joe Rogan besides someone that can get worked up about things (smoke weed)? He's an actor, sure, I could see that on the Wiki page.. but is that it? TV personality?

He's a millionaire several times over. A lot of the money came from hosting Fear Factor probably. I don't think he ever fought professionally but apparently was very good in youth levels. His main job is being a stand-up comedian.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jyrka posted:

He's a millionaire several times over. A lot of the money came from hosting Fear Factor probably. I don't think he ever fought professionally but apparently was very good in youth levels. His main job is being a stand-up comedian.

Right. Ok then, as the 'non-commerical guy' on UFC that I kinda knew him (assumed he was, I guess) at first.. like many others I'm sure.. that's a long way from the reality. Good to know.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

He's a top notch martial artist and MMA commentator though. He's been doing jujutsu forever (black belt in both gi and no gi) and and was a champion kick boxer when he was younger.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, as I said I knew him first as the guy on UFC that had some idea what was going on. You said champion kickboxer, as in won championships? Did he ever fight for money?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I don't think so. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think it was Tae Kwon Do, not kickboxing, but he was state champ for something like four years as well as holding other titles. He quit fighting around 20, I think, but owned a gym and taught for a living when he decided to get into stand-up.

Edit: after a quick search, it was Tae Kwon Do, but he's done "jujutsu and Muay Thai for over a decade"

XIII fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 22, 2013

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah, as I said I knew him first as the guy on UFC that had some idea what was going on. You said champion kickboxer, as in won championships? Did he ever fight for money?

Joe learned early on that he couldn't make a real living teaching Tae Kwon Do, so he started focusing in on standup in his early twenties. It took him about two or three years before he started getting deals, and has literally been on TV since the mid-90s.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
I imagine Joe made his first million when he was on News Radio.

The fact that he has been a millionaire for almost 20 years probably influences his libertarian ideals more than he cares to admit.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 25, 2014

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Joe learned early on that he couldn't make a real living teaching Tae Kwon Do, so he started focusing in on standup in his early twenties. It took him about two or three years before he started getting deals, and has literally been on TV since the mid-90s.

If you listen to the podcast you will hear this story many times. Many, many times.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I've dipped out of this podcast a while ago but I still listen with good guests. I just about made a fool of myself at the gym during episode 400 when they comment on how high Joey Diaz is. He hasn't really spoken all podcast.

His response? "I'm about a six."

Died.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
That was great. Stoned to the point of being mute and they ask him how high he is one the scale of 1 to a million.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski
Eddie Bravo episode. I was hoping for some MMA poo poo, but I survived all of 15 minutes before they got into HIV denial poo poo

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Eddie Bravo is definitely the whacked out conspiracy guest above any martial arts credentials he has. He smokes a lot of weed and does ju jitsu but he really wants to talk about chemtrails.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Tim Selaty Jr posted:

Eddie Bravo episode. I was hoping for some MMA poo poo, but I survived all of 15 minutes before they got into HIV denial poo poo

They talked a lot about MMA and jiu jitsu.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

wolfbiker posted:

They talked a lot about MMA and jiu jitsu.

He also talked about how licking frogs buttholes gets you high because mushrooms are called "toadstools".

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Stabbing Spork posted:

He also talked about how licking frogs buttholes gets you high because mushrooms are called "toadstools".

That was crazy, he was really clinging to that theory.

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

double duty today, had the mold free coffee guy and maynard is back at 9pt 11 central midnight eastern, double high baby

Ducktales Blogger
Nov 2, 2013

by angerbeet

DJ BK posted:

double duty today, had the mold free coffee guy and maynard is back at 9pt 11 central midnight eastern, double high baby

Tool Maynard or MMAnard?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

DJ BK posted:

had the mold free coffee guy

Sperg man

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

toggle posted:

Sperg man

Whenever they say his name I hear it as Dave Aspie

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Man, Sam Harris is kind of a huge tool.

Ducktales Blogger
Nov 2, 2013

by angerbeet
I didn't listen to this one, but I remember that the only way he did the show the first time was to make Rogan not do jerkoff toy ads in front of it because he, the respectable atheist, didn't want to be associated with such filth.

And then he talked about how brown people are suspect because Islam

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I wanted to call Joe an rear end in a top hat for his stance on Fat Shaming. Then I realized I was fat and I did everything I could to fix it and you feel better thin. It's so loving stupid not for everyone to fix it.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I'm listening through the Justin Foster episode, and at about 2:30:00, Joe and Brian start getting into it about Brian's comedy. I think this was the first time I ever heard Joe legitimately get pissed off at Brian.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Where has Redban been the past few eps?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
The two of them seemed to get pretty pissed off at each other a while ago about Brian and making money from Deathsquad shows, which I think stemmed from a fight Duncan and Brian had.

So what's Joe's problem with his comedy? I've only heard him say complimentary things about it in the past, or at the very least he said that Brian was improving at it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'm listening through the Justin Foster episode, and at about 2:30:00, Joe and Brian start getting into it about Brian's comedy. I think this was the first time I ever heard Joe legitimately get pissed off at Brian.

Thanks, I love hearing Redban drama.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

indoflaven posted:

I wanted to call Joe an rear end in a top hat for his stance on Fat Shaming. Then I realized I was fat and I did everything I could to fix it and you feel better thin. It's so loving stupid not for everyone to fix it.

Nah, he's just an rear end in a top hat. There was a thread recently in GBS that turned into a whole debate about this poo poo. One poster mentioned a ten year old niece or something that had to go on some medicine that destroyed her metabolism and caused her to gain a bunch of weight which of course caused her to get mocked at school and get depressed. Point being, it's not as cut and dried as "you're fat and it's your fault fatty."

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 25, 2014

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

oneliquidninja posted:

Nah, he's just an rear end in a top hat. There was a thread recently in GBS that turned into a whole debate about this poo poo. One poster mentioned a ten year old niece or something that had to go on some medicine that destroyed her metabolism and caused her to gain a bunch of weight which of course caused her to get mocked at school and get depressed. Point being, it's not as cut and dried as "you're fat and it's your fault fatty."

I would say that is the vast minority. As someone who de-fattened(?) himself I can't disagree with Joe. But he always wasn't saying what you are inferring. I know we all like to poo poo on him but let's not put words in his mouth. I hope your niece the best. Being fat in school sure sucked for me but I didn't have an excuse really except my parents not teaching me how to eat properly.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I'm sure he'd agree with my point if he heard it but the point I'm really trying to make is don't loving judge people if you don't know their life story.

I think it's a pretty simple concept to grasp :shrug:

*edit* Alright, I just listened to this and probably should have before I opened my mouth. It really sounds like he's just being reactionary towards fat people reverse shaming thin people (which I can't really blame them for considering how much they've been shamed their whole lives in our culture). The chick in the beginning that started his whole speel was a bitch though. It's one thing to say, hey I got thin and I'd like to help other people to get thin too, and something completely different to be like, look at how hot I am and I have two kids! What's your excuse (you lazy sack of poo poo)?

It would be like people going to AA and then going out and rubbing their sobriety in the face of every alcoholic they meet.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 14, 2013

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Some people would see that image and get motivated. Other would look at that image and get offended. Can't please everyone. There was a huge discussion about this in YLLS if you want to read over it.

Although I got burned out and bored by this podcast, I will say Rogan did inspire me to get healthy and live a better life. He can be a tremendous poo poo head on certain topics, but everyone has their faults. Does it make him a bad person? Certainly not. People are far too quick to jump down people's throats than simply trying some good ol' understanding.

I think when stuff like this happens, it bring forth something that is truly only happening to this generation. People who are depressed about their own lives' can simply go on the internet and vomit at people they are jealous/hateful of. People can post things on the internet with good intentions, and get completely poo poo on by miserable assholes. Sure, it takes a bit of narcissism to even make the image to begin with, but you really can't think it was made to fat shame. I hate that that is even a thing. Fat shaming, skinny shaming, everything gets shamed. No one can be happy. gently caress this Earth.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I actually like Joe Rogan. I'm a fan of his stand up, enjoyed Fear Factor, and I eat a lot of psychedelics so I listen to some of his podcasts because I like some of his guests (hence me bookmarking this thread). He's still an rear end in a top hat and a definite :tinfoil: nut.

As to fat shaming, I've never been fat myself. I'm actually super loving skinny and I get shamed for that. Why don't you put on some weight? You're too skinny? I've dealt with it my whole life and it's annoying. But I'm sure it's nothing compared to being called 'fatty', 'a pig', or 'tub o' lard'.

I also have friends that have been overweight since before High School. I've never shamed them for being fat and I suspect that if I did we wouldn't be friends. One of these friends has a cousin that recently had a heart attack. He confided in me that he wants to lose some weight and start eating healthier. I encouraged him and told him that he should get together with another friend of our's so he can feel like he has a gym buddy. If I had ever shamed him for being fat I doubt I would have been in a position to offer him my support and advice.

So back to Mrs. "What's your excuse?" I understand that people want to brag when they accomplish something great. I quit smoking like a year ago and I'm sure I annoyed the gently caress out of every smoker I knew. But there's a line between bragging and rubbing it in other people's faces. To quote someone from that YLS thread because it pretty much sums up my feelings on it...

Solenna posted:

Pretty much anyone going "I accomplished ________, what's your excuse?" is going to sound like a dick and it doesn't matter what they accomplished. It's impressive, and I'm glad she's happy and was able to put in the effort and time to look like that, but that macro dismisses any reasons for not looking the same as she does as "excuses" which is pretty bullshit. And seriously, if say, you post a picture of your PhD with "what's your excuse?" plastered across it, would you be surprised if people didn't take all that kindly to the impression that's giving off?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bill Burr used to purposefully Fat Shame on his podcast cause he legitimately thought it was going to motivate people to lose weight- one guy even wrote in and said it worked and he got his poo poo together. Then sometime this year Burr read that article of a study that showed Fat Shaming had overwhelmingly opposite effects (People would become depressed about the shaming and would then begin overeating as a coping/comfort mechanism). Burr seemed legitimately bummed out about it and has since ceased and has tried to be more positive about weight loss. Was that study discussed at all? I haven't listened to the JRE ep.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 15, 2013

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Bill Burr used to purposefully Fat Shame on his podcast cause he legitimately thought it was going to motivate people to lose weight- one guy even wrote in and said it worked and he got his poo poo together. Then sometime this year Burr read that article of a study that showed Fat Shaming had overwhelmingly opposite effects (People would become depressed about the shaming and would then begin overeating as a coping/comfort mechanism). Burr seemed legitimately bummed out about it and has since ceased and has tried to be more positive about weight loss. Was that study discussed at all? I haven't listened to the JRE ep.

Like every study ever reported on by the media, you should look into it more before you use it as proof of anything:
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0070048 - that's the big one that the news picked up and it's all based on self-reporting. I don't know any other way they'd be able to do the study better, but all that this study proved is that people who thought they were being 'discriminated' against due to their weight tended to stay fat.

quote:

Items:
5 items (Q30a-Q30e)(In your day-to-day life how often have any of the following things happened to you?)

Q30a
You are treated with less courtesy or respect than other people.

Q30b
You receive poorer service than other people at restaurants or stores.

Q30c
People act as if they think you are not smart.

Q30d
People act as if they are afraid of you.

Q30e
You are threatened or harassed.

Q. 31 Attributions of Everyday Discrimination
(If any of the above have happened to you, what do you think were the reasons why these experiences happened to you? (Mark (X) all that apply.)

Q31M1 Your ancestry or national origin
Q31M2 Your gender
Q31M3 Your race
Q31M4 Your age
Q31M5 Your weight
Q31M6 A physical disability
Q31M7 Other aspect of your physical appearance
Q31M8 Your sexual orientation
Q31M9 Other

I'm not saying that fat shaming works for everyone, but saying that it has 'overwhelmingly opposite effects' isn't really true either. Different things work for different people, but something needs to be done because every time I see a fat 4 year old I die a little bit inside.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Leave it up to goons to get up in arms about fat shaming huh. :rolleyes:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

loving goons, fat """people""" are fair game and deserve whatever they get, hehe >:}

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
You wanna talk about it man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

hot sauce fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 25, 2014