Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
That's one of the most insane things I've ever fuckin' seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Man what the gently caress they totally ripped off black man toothpaste's mascot.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

Man what the gently caress they totally ripped off black man toothpaste's mascot.

No they didn't, look more closely...

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 3, 2013

El_Matarife
Sep 28, 2002
Well, Justin.TV totally failed, her parents must have an awful ISP. Still, my brother and sister both got to watch as did a ton of Aunts and Uncles so it was a big success.

Thanks for all the help guys! And of course, she said yes.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I have only had Justin.tv work once in four years in China for myself. It's all water under the bridge at this point, congrats mate! :woop:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

This reminded me of the one tube of toothpaste I bought in China. The toothpaste was black. Seriously China, what the gently caress, at least throw some cancerous colouring in there or something.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Jeoh posted:

This reminded me of the one tube of toothpaste I bought in China. The toothpaste was black. Seriously China, what the gently caress, at least throw some cancerous colouring in there or something.

In order to cut costs, the Chinese toothpaste companies are now expecting you to get your daily carcinogen allotment solely from China's water and air. It'll be an uphill battle for the government to meet the increased demand, but the Party claims it is equal to the task. :china:

blinkyzero fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 3, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Eh, they sell black toothpaste in America too but it's really expensive all natural stuff probably with charcoal or something in it.

In China :iiam:

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Magna Kaser posted:

Long Sen Yuan (龙森园) is the best hot pot I've ever had, but it's also pretty expensive... If you don't want to go with that, I honestly feel most bigger hot pot places are about the same. That's the only hot pot place that has ever blown me away, though. Shu Jiu Xiang Hot Pot (蜀九香火锅) is a local favorite and has locations all over town, just throw that in to baidu maps and you'll find one... For non-hot pot, Gingko is the perennial fancy smancy restaurant. I've never been there but I've heard it's alright. I think Caberham went?

Another of my favorites is ribs, which are also a sichuan specialty (though they get overshadowed by hot pot and spicy things). Da zui ba wang pai gu (大嘴霸王排骨, fun fact: it means BIG MOUTH KING RIBS) is a franchise that has a bunch of locations around town. The ribs are pricy, but worthwhile, and their other dishes are more affordable...

Thank you very much for all this info, Magna. I'm going to try to find the ribs today, but failing that, I'll go for that chain hot-pot place you mentioned. The first place definitely sounds too pricey.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Fall Sick and Die posted:

No they didn't, look more closely...

I now really want a T-shirt with Che in a top hat :shobon:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Does anyone know anything about the ChinaX online course that HarvardX is doing? I signed up and might start on the readings soon, but I'm completely unfamiliar with the professors.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

truavatar posted:

Thank you very much for all this info, Magna. I'm going to try to find the ribs today, but failing that, I'll go for that chain hot-pot place you mentioned. The first place definitely sounds too pricey.

Shu Jiu Xiang Hot Pot (蜀九香火锅) was great! I had ribs and pig throats. Oily as hell, but I guess I'm never going to get away from that in China.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Headed to Guangzhou Sunday for perhaps three days. Any tips guys?? Cool places to eat at or visit?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Not the Peasant Revolutionary Training Institute. It's boring and the mannequins are creepy as gently caress.

truavatar posted:

Shu Jiu Xiang Hot Pot (蜀九香火锅) was great! I had ribs and pig throats. Oily as hell, but I guess I'm never going to get away from that in China.
Along with the million hotpot places around Chengdu, try one of the million ganguo 干锅 places. It's still oily but not hotpot levels and also delicious. Ribs are usually good in it, most places will let you get 2 main ingredients (usually meats). If you can find a place that has good rabbit, it is awesome.

Edit: There still needs to be a Chengdu Rabbit Head Eating Goon Meet, goddamnit.

Tom Smykowski fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 5, 2013

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
I mean, sure? I'd rather do hot pot but that's only because I missed the last hot pot meet, but I'll do whatever.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Start the night with hotpot, end the night with rabbit head. A Chengdu solution.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I'm down for rabbit head on Friday night.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Rental Sting posted:

Headed to Guangzhou Sunday for perhaps three days. Any tips guys?? Cool places to eat at or visit?

I like getting a coconut and walking along the river. 13 factories is a pretty good American restaurant, it's pretty close to the east rail station. Just try going to some local restaurants at random, they seem pretty good on average.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Goonmeet for 干锅? I thought somebody was going to Chongqing. I could do dinner but not a trip, I really need to start studying for the GRE.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I think I mentioned that I might go to Chongqing, but I've decided not to. Consider me penned in for any eating of things on Friday night.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Let's eat food just pick a place TOM SKYRLOWSKI

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Rental Sting posted:

13 factories is pretty cool! Great pulled pork sandwiches. There are a few wonton noodle and dim sum places but I prefer Hong Kong :smug:

But there's a really nice store selling smoked soy sauce chicken, either whole/half/chunks near the peasant revolutionary institute. It's called zhou sheng ji tai ye ji (周生記太爺雞). There's a really nice smoky flavour and their eggs are great too. I bring one home for my mom from time to time.

The yuexiu park is nice and vast. A few temples and walking streets in that area. And there's also the African quarter in xiaobei. Best Way African food is quite authentic. No utensils and just eat with your hands.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

And there's also the African quarter in xiaobei.

Use the correct name. It's called Chocolate Town.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Would I be able to renew a tourist visa for the mainland from Hong Kong or is there a waiting period before you can renew tourist visas? Sorry to keep up the visa talk.

EDIT: Also what is the indie comics scene like in china, specifically Chengdu. If it exists?

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 5, 2013

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Also what is the indie comics scene like in china, specifically Chengdu. If it exists?

You will quickly learn that I am the last person out of every single goon to answer this but I am ridiculously curious about indie comic scene in China so someone please answer this

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
@ Caberham - I'm in Wenchuan, dude. About 4 or so hours from Chengdu.

Magna Kaser posted:

How much to you want to spend? Long Sen Yuan (龙森园) is the best hot pot I've ever had, but it's also pretty expensive. I'm talking at least a few hundred RMB per person if you're going with less than 6. I think the soup itself starts at 200-300. With more people it becomes a bit more affordable. Their claim to fame is they spend a year developing their soups before putting them for sale. They're also pretty unique in that they only have one location, which means you will have to wait/make a reservation. It's pretty central and totally walk-able from line 2. you can check it out here.

That must be the hot pot place I went to because it ruined all other hot pot places since. My girlfriend doesn't seem to notice the difference from one place to the next but I was markedly impressed by the flavor. I just wanted to keep eating and I certainly paid for it the next day. Out where I'm at now, the hot pot itself isn't very good but there are some buffet style places. You order a hot pot set of chicken/rabbit, potatoes, and other stuff and it's basically all you can eat. I'd still rather go to Chengdu for quality food but it's a good way to get a group out to do something.

My last several trips to Chengdu had a lot of hot pot places closed and they reopened as Gan Guo places. It's not a soup, it's a giant stirfry and there seems to be a lot more edible food in that and a lot less oil consumption. The first one I went to was super delicious but too spicy even for the sichuan people I was with. The second one I went to was over near Hooters on Kehuabeilu and it was near perfect. There's a rice stand nearby as well so you can get white rice or egg fried rice to round out the meal.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Yeah I'm gonna miss the food in Chengdu. Shanghai is better for other stuff, but Zhejiang/Suzhou/Shanghai cuisine is plain borin'

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Would I be able to renew a tourist visa for the mainland from Hong Kong or is there a waiting period before you can renew tourist visas? Sorry to keep up the visa talk.

EDIT: Also what is the indie comics scene like in china, specifically Chengdu. If it exists?

If you have a letter from your GF's family it should be simple. What happened to a student visa?

Got no idea about comix. Chengdu's visible youth-based indie/counterculturey things are based on fixed gear bikes, skateboards, and music. There's a very large music school central in town and as a result a lot of neat smaller bands come out of it (Chinese rockabilly, a lot of punk bands, we even saw a chinese shoegaze band once).

There are a lot of Chinese webcomics but they get posted almost exclusively on weibo. I'm not sure how much publishing happens.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah I'm gonna miss the food in Chengdu. Shanghai is better for other stuff, but Zhejiang/Suzhou/Shanghai cuisine is plain borin'

It's true. The food in this province is freaking terrible.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

blinkyzero posted:

It's true. The food in this province is freaking terrible.

:saddowns: :frogout:

I booked a hotel room for you Blnky next Saturday for :china: SHANGHAI GOON MEET, NOVEMBER 16 :china: Magna can drown in his mystery gutter oil chilli sauce.

Sunday brunch will mostly likely be Shanghai food.

caberham fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 6, 2013

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

The meat is always cold and slimy and there's too much damned seafood and green things that I strongly suspect might be vegetables. I miss northern fare.

I'll gladly take some yum cha, though.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

hah! That's Obama with Lincoln's beard and top hat. What an awesome logo. And yeah, it does look like the Black Man Toothpaste.

My black friend finds that toothpaste offensive. He said that mascot on there is actually from an old Black Face actor. When the toothpaste first came out the mascot was black and then no one liked it so they inverted it and now it's everywhere.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ZombieParts posted:

hah! That's Obama with Lincoln's beard and top hat.

Um

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ZombieParts posted:

My black friend finds that toothpaste offensive. He said that mascot on there is actually from an old Black Face actor. When the toothpaste first came out the mascot was black and then no one liked it so they inverted it and now it's everywhere.

It's Al Jolson, a famous black face actor and singer.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Can someone comment on hot pot vs Japanese nabe vs Korean chige?

VVV Come visit asap duder.

peanut fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 6, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yes, nabe rules. Better soup and stock. Chige is just usually spiced.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Also the toothpaste was called 'Darkie'

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Caberham's face turns red when he eats hot pot. It doesn't turn red when he eats the other things.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

:saddowns: :frogout:

I booked a hotel room for you Blnky next Saturday for :china: SHANGHAI GOON MEET, NOVEMBER 16 :china: Magna can drown in his mystery gutter oil chilli sauce.

Sunday brunch will mostly likely be Shanghai food.

As opposed to Shanghai/Zhejiang's mystery oil sauce without chili. What do you think those xiao long bao and sheng jian are filled with :getin:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

Caberham's face turns red when he eats hot pot. It doesn't turn red when he eats the other things.

It also turns red when he drinks beer :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Magna Kaser posted:

If you have a letter from your GF's family it should be simple. What happened to a student visa?

Still contemplating it, but I don't really want to spend up to £2,000 to go back into education, plus I don't really have that much to spare on something that feels like I'm basically choosing a swimming pool at random to jump into blind folded.

We're still looking at visas as the embassy websites aren't 100% clear.

EDIT: sigh, I can only find chengdu and Sichuan universities that do Chinese tuition, is there anywhere else I've missed out?

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 6, 2013