Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Columbus OH here, my 3G at home is pretty good 1.5 down, signal strength around town is usually 4-5 bars. I have no 3G at work though, like I have 3-4 bars in the office building but I just assume it's network congestion, not any bandwidth available from the tower to do anything. Which makes sense because everybody loving works in Dublin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Android phones work just like every other piece of electronics made in the last 20 years. You hold down power to force it to power off if it is locked up.

Yup on phones without removable batteries the manufacturer put a piece of hardware in them that if the power button is held for x seconds (usually about 20) it forces a power up at the hardware level. My pantech element requires holding volume up and down both for 5 seconds then it does a soft reboot.

They don't bother on devices with removable batteries. If you've never had a device without a removable battery it's natural you would assume that you'd be f'd if you got locked, but the OEMs deal with locks too and always (well almost always) have something.

It's usually power, but sometimes it's a different dance (like the pantech element).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Stick100 posted:

Yup on phones without removable batteries the manufacturer put a piece of hardware in them that if the power button is held for x seconds (usually about 20) it forces a power up at the hardware level. My pantech element requires holding volume up and down both for 5 seconds then it does a soft reboot.

They don't bother on devices with removable batteries. If you've never had a device without a removable battery it's natural you would assume that you'd be f'd if you got locked, but the OEMs deal with locks too and always (well almost always) have something.

It's usually power, but sometimes it's a different dance (like the pantech element).

Pretty sure all phones in the last couple years have that option. I know the S3 definitely does, and I'm pretty sure the original EVO did too.

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top

Kreeblah posted:

Hey, if there's anybody still here who works for Sprint, have you ever seen any issues with returning a free Airave? I sent mine back and got a receipt for the return on the 17th, but I just got a letter dated the 18th saying that I need to send it back or they'll charge me $140.

Don't work for them but I just went through this - you'll have to call them. And call them again. And call them again. They're really not very good about returns. It took 4 or 5 calls and about 2 weeks to get my account straightened out. Good luck.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Koirhor posted:

Columbus OH here, my 3G at home is pretty good 1.5 down, signal strength around town is usually 4-5 bars. I have no 3G at work though, like I have 3-4 bars in the office building but I just assume it's network congestion, not any bandwidth available from the tower to do anything. Which makes sense because everybody loving works in Dublin.

I was just in Columbus yesterday. Noticed no 4G downtown, but was up by Polaris and hit some 4G spots in the mall (food court). 3G seemed respectable around town.

Then, I went to Nationwide Arena and got literally 0 data in the arena. Pretty frustrating.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

So am I seriously going to have to wait until Friday to get a SIM for my Nexus 5? I made an appointment at a store to get a SIM but I seriously expect them to tell me to gently caress off.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

So am I seriously going to have to wait until Friday to get a SIM for my Nexus 5? I made an appointment at a store to get a SIM but I seriously expect them to tell me to gently caress off.

Tell them you have whatever iphone takes said sim and you forgot it at home?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

EbolaIvory posted:

Tell them you have whatever iphone takes said sim and you forgot it at home?

Does the Nexus 5 take a nano or micro SIM? The only micros that we have in the store aren't LTE compatible (they're for the iPhone 4S). And there are 2 different, incompatible nanosims, one for the iPhone 5 and one for the 5S/5C.

So basically, it could be a huge pain in the rear end.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

It's a micro SIM.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

It's a micro SIM.

Yeah, very likely a store won't have them. Maybe some stores got them for GS4s and the like, but I know none of our stores ever did. Definitely call first.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Some guy on S4GRU got a store to give him the SIM when he gave them this SKU for the SIM: 760492013536 CZ2102LWR part# SIMGLW206R

However it appears Sprint doesn't have the MEIDs for the 32GB Nexus 5s so he's still up poo poo creek.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
When I got my S4, I rooted it. Subsequently, I was unable to install the MF9 update OTA. Now that there is the MJA update, I'm wondering how I can install it manually without losing any of my data. Is this even possible?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

raej posted:

When I got my S4, I rooted it. Subsequently, I was unable to install the MF9 update OTA. Now that there is the MJA update, I'm wondering how I can install it manually without losing any of my data. Is this even possible?

If you're still running stock, but just rooted, then you should be able to find the rooted update on xda and flash it over your existing ROM.

In fact, if your phone downloads the updates but doesn't install them, you should be able to install them from your custom recovery, though you'll probably lose root doing it that way.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If you're still running stock, but just rooted, then you should be able to find the rooted update on xda and flash it over your existing ROM.

In fact, if your phone downloads the updates but doesn't install them, you should be able to install them from your custom recovery, though you'll probably lose root doing it that way.

Okay, U'll check out XDA. I try to avoid that place because it's like a cesspool of stupidity and chaos

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Something I'm wondering - with a stock Nexus phone bought from Google, is tethering a built-in option? Or will it have to be fooled around with?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Make sure you're going to a store with a service/repair center. Since the other Sprint LTE phones with removable microSIMs probably come out of the box with the SIM already inserted, I doubt that retail sales-only stores will have extra SIMs lying around. It's also more likely that a repair technician will have the know-how to associate a new SIM's ICCID with a phone's ESN/MEID.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The ancient Chinese secret to getting a SIM card is to chat with International support apparently. I'll have on on Wednesday.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Some guy on S4GRU got a store to give him the SIM when he gave them this SKU for the SIM: 760492013536 CZ2102LWR part# SIMGLW206R

However it appears Sprint doesn't have the MEIDs for the 32GB Nexus 5s so he's still up poo poo creek.

loving seriously on the 32GB N5's not in the system? What the gently caress Sprint.

e: Looks like it's probably going to be sorted here soon. :downs:

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 5, 2013

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Some guy named RLCOLLECTOR68 posted this on Sprints forums:

quote:

All,

The 32GB version from Google Play Store can be activated online with Sprint or through our Sprint Chat team. Activation does require a UICC card (some call it a SIM card) obtained from a Sprint retail store at no charge. If the Sprint store has not received their shipment of UICC cards, our Sprint World Wide team can order one for you through our Chat option or calling into Care.

Steps to activate online:

Insert your UICC card and follow the prompts online to swap to your Google Nexus 5.
Manage My Sprint> Activate a new phone> Enter new device> In the Device code enter the IMEI and leave off the last IMEI digit. If all the digits are entered an error will be generated.

Please send me a Private Message with your IMEI and phone number if an error message is generated after following the above steps.

Thanks,
Blue

Eunabomber
Dec 30, 2002

I have a SERO plan which I last renewed 2 years ago to get a smartphone(SERO premium). I've been eligible for an upgrade for a few months now and I can't quite figure out what is the best way to buy subsidized phone? Either N5 through sprint, or a MotoX through amazon (50$ right now). There does not seem to be an easy way to do this online without screwing up my plan.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Eunabomber posted:

I have a SERO plan which I last renewed 2 years ago to get a smartphone(SERO premium). I've been eligible for an upgrade for a few months now and I can't quite figure out what is the best way to buy subsidized phone? Either N5 through sprint, or a MotoX through amazon (50$ right now). There does not seem to be an easy way to do this online without screwing up my plan.

Buy an iphone 5s, flip it, buy a full price n5.

Pocket profit

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Eunabomber posted:

EbolaIvory posted:

Pocket profit
EbolaIvory is right.

Remember that because you have a SERO plan, you're not able to order subsidized phones through third party stores like Amazon. So don't even try.

Ordering through Sprint.com shouldn't screw up your plan. And if anything gets messed up, the operators on the Employee Care line are very good at what they do and can easily fix anything. You'll probably have to call in to activate your phone anyway.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

td4guy posted:

EbolaIvory is right.

Remember that because you have a SERO plan, you're not able to order subsidized phones through third party stores like Amazon. So don't even try.

Ordering through Sprint.com shouldn't screw up your plan. And if anything gets messed up, the operators on the Employee Care line are very good at what they do and can easily fix anything. You'll probably have to call in to activate your phone anyway.

Yeah, I just grabbed an Iphone 5s off of the Sprint site, and it kept telling me that I wouldn't be able to acitvate unless I changed my plan, but when I grabed the Iphone 4S 2 years ago, it said the exact same thing and all it took was a phone call to get it up and running. I'm assuming this will be the same. If not, I'll just flip the 5S and keept the 4S because I really dont give a poo poo.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

EbolaIvory posted:

Pocket profit

Looking at ebay, 16gb 5S's go for about $600, 32 gigs for $750. After you're done paying for the iPhone ($99.99 or 199.99 plus tax, for me in CA it's $8-18 =$108-208), then selling the iPhone on ebay (fees range $78-92 [10% ebay 2.9% paypal] depending on which one you sell) you're only netting $414 on a 16gb iPhone 5S or $450 on a 32gb. Lots of people on ebay are asking higher amounts than what I listed for their phones but probably aren't getting it because there are tons of others selling them at $600 and $750 BIN.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
You could check out Swappa rates too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bobula posted:

Looking at ebay, 16gb 5S's go for about $600, 32 gigs for $750. After you're done paying for the iPhone ($99.99 or 199.99 plus tax, for me in CA it's $8-18 =$108-208), then selling the iPhone on ebay (fees range $78-92 [10% ebay 2.9% paypal] depending on which one you sell) you're only netting $414 on a 16gb iPhone 5S or $450 on a 32gb. Lots of people on ebay are asking higher amounts than what I listed for their phones but probably aren't getting it because there are tons of others selling them at $600 and $750 BIN.

To be fair, the two year subsidy is $450 off the phone, so you are getting most of it right there.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bobula posted:

You still come out ahead. And craigslist is a good way to dodge PayPal fees and poo poo. You'll get 500+ .

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EbolaIvory posted:

You still come out ahead. And craigslist is a good way to dodge PayPal fees and poo poo. You'll get 500+ .

Also possibly mugged.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Entire Universe posted:

Also possibly mugged.

Yes because meeting someone at a populated store is hard?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EbolaIvory posted:

Yes because meeting someone at a populated store is hard?

This is a way to avoid getting mugged while in/near the store. I said possibly, which leaves non-store venues as equally valid options, albeit inferior to meeting in a sprint store in broad daylight with a friend or two.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Seriously, if you're selling on Craigslist and you can't figure out to meet at a public place of some sort where you aren't going to get robbed then you lack some sort of common sense.

Also time to call up and give Sprint poo poo because the letter said no ETF.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Unless you are a dumbass, if you're buying a phone from some strange guy on Craigslist you meet at the Sprint store so they can check the ESN and activate the phone for you.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

My Galaxy Nexus is on the stock 4.2.1 Sprint firmware, with root (rooted via Mskips' Galaxy Nexus Toolkit). There's a 4.3 OTA update available now. I have OTA Rootkeeper, but I'm reading that it won't work when updating to 4.3. How can I keep root when installing the OTA update, or if I can't at all, what can I do to re-root after installing the OTA without having to reinstall everything?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Finally up and running on the Nexus 5. Had to complete the ESN swap with chat support.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I keep hearing rumors that the S5 may make its debut as early as February due to the lackluster sales of the S4. I loved my S3 when I got it, but lately it's been running really slowly, randomly rebooting on me, the radio just occasionally dying (requiring a reboot to fix), and being generally frustrating. Some of the issues would probably be resolved by wiping and starting over, or installing a new ROM, but if I'm going to go through that much trouble, I'd rather do it on new hardware.

I've got an upgrade available now, so I'm debating:
Get an N5 now or hold out a few more months and see what the S5 will bring

Are people generally digging the N5? It feels like the last few Nexus phones were just sort of warmly received.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I keep hearing rumors that the S5 may make its debut as early as February due to the lackluster sales of the S4. I loved my S3 when I got it, but lately it's been running really slowly, randomly rebooting on me, the radio just occasionally dying (requiring a reboot to fix), and being generally frustrating. Some of the issues would probably be resolved by wiping and starting over, or installing a new ROM, but if I'm going to go through that much trouble, I'd rather do it on new hardware.

I've got an upgrade available now, so I'm debating:
Get an N5 now or hold out a few more months and see what the S5 will bring

Are people generally digging the N5? It feels like the last few Nexus phones were just sort of warmly received.

Why not just buy it outright for $350? Not that much more than using an upgrade. And either way sell the S3.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

DanAdamKOF posted:

My Galaxy Nexus is on the stock 4.2.1 Sprint firmware, with root (rooted via Mskips' Galaxy Nexus Toolkit). There's a 4.3 OTA update available now. I have OTA Rootkeeper, but I'm reading that it won't work when updating to 4.3. How can I keep root when installing the OTA update, or if I can't at all, what can I do to re-root after installing the OTA without having to reinstall everything?

It's a Nexus, so unless the bootloader relocked itself along the way (which I have never actually seen happen just from an OTA update), you should be fine. Just reboot into the bootloader, use fastboot to flash on a custom recovery (I personally used Clockwork), then use adb to sideload the superuser app of your choice.

The mechanism hasn't exactly changed going from 4.2.1 to 4.3. The OTA update might kill off root, but the toolkit should be able to put it right back if you're not comfortable with using the command line.

EDIT: I mean, you'll want the most recent version of the toolkit, but that's more a matter of making sure it doesn't install an incompatible superuser app than anything.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 7, 2013

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Is there any arcane magic one can use to determine how the various fees and surcharges on your bill are calculated?

Basically I'm on a 5 line everything data 1500 plan, and I'm trying to calculate my bill if I switched to a 7 or 9 line unlimited my way plan. Trying to determine if these fees are %, or flat per account or per line or what.

Semi related, since they are policing discounts now - I've got a legit 21% discount, but the company name is an umbrella organization over the company I actually work for. Am I going to have trouble proving the discount eligibility to sprint?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Is there any arcane magic one can use to determine how the various fees and surcharges on your bill are calculated?

Basically I'm on a 5 line everything data 1500 plan, and I'm trying to calculate my bill if I switched to a 7 or 9 line unlimited my way plan. Trying to determine if these fees are %, or flat per account or per line or what.
Honestly the easiest way is to just call them up and ask what it would cost. It's not like they will be able to just change it without your permission if you tell them up front you are just asking what it costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Yeah, I just grabbed an Iphone 5s off of the Sprint site, and it kept telling me that I wouldn't be able to acitvate unless I changed my plan, but when I grabed the Iphone 4S 2 years ago, it said the exact same thing and all it took was a phone call to get it up and running. I'm assuming this will be the same. If not, I'll just flip the 5S and keept the 4S because I really dont give a poo poo.

Call the SERO number in the OP. They just have to change your account from 3G to LTE. It won't change your price or anything.