Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Seriously, how can this guy not have a scandal following him around.

He lived in TRADOC for, what, a decade? And he bullshitted through his entire career and deployed once as a CSM. You can't tell me that he hasn't abused his rank in other ways as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

not caring here posted:

Seriously, how can this guy not have a scandal following him around.

He lived in TRADOC for, what, a decade? And he bullshitted through his entire career and deployed once as a CSM. You can't tell me that he hasn't abused his rank in other ways as well.

He knows something and someone wants to buy his silence with rank to keep it on the down low. The sky's the limit since he responded to that "Freakishly large Shrek-looking top 4 douchey sideburn-hating bottom" ad

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Idiot Boy got himself sentenced to 12 years today.

Judge posted:

“Mr. Greene, you just don’t understand that what you did is wrong,” Munger said. “You were placed in a position of trust by the Salvation Army, a fine institution that tries so much to help in the community. In one fell swoop, you breached the trust of the Salvation Army, the community, these girls, their mother and everyone who knows them.”

Prosecutor posted:

“It’s concerning to the state that he has a lack of insight into what he did,” she said. “He is the victim here, according to Mr. Greene.”

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
I don't get the hate for Petraeus, we'd have all gone for it. And unless Fiasco / The Gamble were propaganda pieces he's actually a ridiculously smart dude that got shafted and handcuffed by even higher leadership.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

Idiot Boy got himself sentenced to 12 years today.

And he's got an even more severe trial yet to come.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess if I were his age, I'd go for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You should probably edit in a quote there.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's more fun without the quote.

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 31, 2017

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

50 Foot Ant posted:

I just read up on it on Wikipedia and don't see anything worse than most General Staff get up to, and a hell of a lot less than most politicians.

What the gently caress was the big deal? He had an affair? Oooh, boo loving hoo, he got laid! Waaah!

He was director of central intelligence when he got canned. He put himself in a "compromised" position that would get any of his subordinates fired. gently caress him.

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Pudgygiant posted:

I don't get the hate for Petraeus, we'd have all gone for it. And unless Fiasco / The Gamble were propaganda pieces he's actually a ridiculously smart dude that got shafted and handcuffed by even higher leadership.

Haven't read The Gamble but Fiasco is junk. Ricks pumps Petraeus up so hard and makes it sound like the only reason Mosul got crazy was because the 101st wasn't replaced by enough dudes. Fact is, insurgent attacks were steadily increasing while the 101st was there so something wasn't working right.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Nevermind.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Stultus Maximus posted:

He was director of central intelligence when he got canned. He put himself in a "compromised" position that would get any of his subordinates fired. gently caress him.

This. I brought up his situation as a perfect example of why intel agencies bug the personal phones of the higher ups in other countries' governments.

Also his supposed smarts about counter-insurgency were all well and good but it would've been really great if instead of strongly pushing for surges in both Iraq and Afghanistan that did nothing other than get a bunch of additional people killed while delaying the inevitable for a year or two he had said "you know what, the people who want to draw down and cut our losses are right, let's get the gently caress out of here." But apparently actual strategic thinking (as opposed to operational focus masquerading as strategy) is too much to expect from a four star general.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

This. I brought up his situation as a perfect example of why intel agencies bug the personal phones of the higher ups in other countries' governments.

Also his supposed smarts about counter-insurgency were all well and good but it would've been really great if instead of strongly pushing for surges in both Iraq and Afghanistan that did nothing other than get a bunch of additional people killed while delaying the inevitable for a year or two he had said "you know what, the people who want to draw down and cut our losses are right, let's get the gently caress out of here." But apparently actual strategic thinking (as opposed to operational focus masquerading as strategy) is too much to expect from a four star general.
The whole Jill Kelley thing was pretty haha too. He developed a close relationship with a couple of hangers-on and gave them access to military facilities because they stroked his ego.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

iyaayas01 posted:

That wouldn't have gotten him promoted.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They recently shampooed the carpet in one of the CE offices, then put all the rugs back before it had it a chance to dry out. They ended up having to chop out a large section of carpet because they had quite the mold colony growing after coming back from a long weekend.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Heard this story from a colleague of mine and I thought it fit right in here.

Basically sometime in the nineties, just after or during the Balkan war a Swedish tank company was training somewhere in Sweden. And their objective was to take a small village out in the middle of some field. They roll in, top speed, shooting (blanks) and screaming the whole way. Then people start evacuating these supposedly empty buildings, screaming at the top of their lungs. Running out over the fields clutching babies and belongings. Hundreds of them.

Apparently they had misread the maps and assaulted a refugee camp with survivors from the balkans.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Affi posted:

Basically sometime in the nineties, just after or during the Balkan war a Swedish tank company was training somewhere in Sweden. And their objective was to take a small village out in the middle of some field. They roll in, top speed, shooting (blanks) and screaming the whole way. Then people start evacuating these supposedly empty buildings, screaming at the top of their lungs. Running out over the fields clutching babies and belongings. Hundreds of them.

Apparently they had misread the maps and assaulted a refugee camp with survivors from the balkans.

I laughed at this, then felt guilty for laughing, then I laughed again. I'm not sure what to feel.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Affi posted:

This is loving hilarious.

Nerato
Oct 17, 2008
Not much of a story, but it might make some of you laugh. Naive privates can be entertaining. Also, I was the idiot.

So when I was a young, high speed PV2 just arriving to Fort Bragg and assigned to the 82nd, I was not airborne qualified. Since they took the aviation brigade off jump status a little before I arrived, I got stuck there and wound up never having to go to jump school. I guess that's a point in my favor since my knees still loving work as intended, but that's not the story.

So, I was a bright eyed private fresh from AIT, and still in the mindset that tabs aren't to be worn unless they've been earned. I go to the Airborne PX down the street from the replacement barracks and buy myself a shiny AA patch. Being the sage that I was, I don't purchase the sacred airborne tab that is part of the unit patch because I haven't earned it. Luckily enough for me, some kindly sergeant squared me away on the matter and gave me one of his tabs, so in the end it wasn't an issue.

Sorry, no hilarious smoke session or rear end chewing from some uptight senior NCO to cap it off with, but not every story can end in disaster. Hell, 50FA should be dead, exploded, and a mutant with an arm growing out of his stomach, but instead he's just disgruntled like the rest of us. But it is a reminder that sometimes things that are obvious to those of us who have been around the block once or twice need to be explained to the occasional brand new and timid soldier.

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

Nerato posted:

Not much of a story, but it might make some of you laugh. Naive privates can be entertaining. Also, I was the idiot.

So when I was a young, high speed PV2 just arriving to Fort Bragg and assigned to the 82nd, I was not airborne qualified. Since they took the aviation brigade off jump status a little before I arrived, I got stuck there and wound up never having to go to jump school. I guess that's a point in my favor since my knees still loving work as intended, but that's not the story.

So, I was a bright eyed private fresh from AIT, and still in the mindset that tabs aren't to be worn unless they've been earned. I go to the Airborne PX down the street from the replacement barracks and buy myself a shiny AA patch. Being the sage that I was, I don't purchase the sacred airborne tab that is part of the unit patch because I haven't earned it. Luckily enough for me, some kindly sergeant squared me away on the matter and gave me one of his tabs, so in the end it wasn't an issue.

Sorry, no hilarious smoke session or rear end chewing from some uptight senior NCO to cap it off with, but not every story can end in disaster. Hell, 50FA should be dead, exploded, and a mutant with an arm growing out of his stomach, but instead he's just disgruntled like the rest of us. But it is a reminder that sometimes things that are obvious to those of us who have been around the block once or twice need to be explained to the occasional brand new and timid soldier.

csb

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
So you didn't buy part of your uniform one time?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I too did not purchase an airborne tab

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Snowdens Secret posted:

I did.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can top this, as I never bought an SF tab

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
nice flair you guys have

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Nerato posted:

50FA embellishes his stories to make them more entertaining. You should give that a try.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RichieHimself posted:

50FA embellishes his stories to make them more entertaining. You should give that a try.
I didn't buy airborne tab but it was OK because some girl with big saggy tits gave me a blowjob for being such a rebel, but then it wasn't OK because she turned out to be a tranny. So I beat the crap out of zhe and left it bleeding on the side of the road, then I won a break dancing competition.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow dude, you're about to get poo poo on my the Tranny Protection Brigade. Be prepared to be reported when they find your post next year.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Wow dude, you're about to get poo poo on my the Tranny Protection Brigade. Be prepared to be reported when they find your post next year.
IT HAD IT COMING. These aren't jokes, these are truths you don't understand yet.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

-a SOF Marine

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Cojawfee posted:

At least you don't have the worst story in the thread anymore? ;)

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Casimir Radon posted:

These aren't jokes, these are truths you don't understand yet.

Never forget

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mad Dragon posted:

-a SOF Marine

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

RichieHimself posted:

I tend to skip by a lot of 50FA's posts (but not all!) because I prefer to read about poo poo that isn't passed off as truth :(

Nerato
Oct 17, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Essentially, if you want to break it down that way. On the other hand, the 82nd has it's own culture (They still wear their faggoty maroon [only gay people identify shades of red with another word like maroon] berets like they're God's gift to the army while the rest of us chill in our PC's like human beings) and expecting to be thrust into a culture that breathes the philosophy that jumping from functional aircraft is akin to godhood without having done so yourself? It's a little intimidating.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

At least you don't have the worst story in the thread anymore? ;)

I just wanted to burn someone to even myself out.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've always seen the Airborne as being about the same as the horse cavalry a century ago. They had their day, but they're so caught up in their own mythos and status that they can't see how obsolete the whole idea is. In a hundred years special forces guys doing a combat drop will be as novel as riding horses in Afghanistan was in 2001.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Frosted Flake posted:

I've always seen the Airborne as being about the same as the horse cavalry a century ago. They had their day, but they're so caught up in their own mythos and status that they can't see how obsolete the whole idea is. In a hundred years special forces guys doing a combat drop will be as novel as riding horses in Afghanistan was in 2001.
In a hundred years if we don't have Space Marines yet none of this was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerato
Oct 17, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

This is very true. But Goddamn if I can't still hear some crusty rear end CSM shouting "C'MERE AIRBORNE" as he hops out of the bushes and tears into some random soldier who just wasn't being Airborne enough that day.