Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Well just from my quick testing of the PYF gif thread, it crashed the app on my Galaxy Nexus but all of the gifs seemed to load instantly on my Nexus 5. They also seem to be playing at the correct speed.

I'm not sure if that says anything about the new WebView or more that the Galaxy Nexus is outclassed by the Nexus 5. I'll leave gifs enabled on my Nexus 5 and see how the battery life is.

EDIT: As I was testing the gif thread some more it crashed on the Nexus 5. I submitted a crash report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Bicycle SexFucker posted:

Anyone get stuck in an infinite refresh in the yospos catte thread? It'll also randomly jump back to the last read post, not always but sometimes.

Edit: I've tried every setting related to images, since it seems to be related to them. Nothing seems to work. I've let it load for 5+ minutes but it doesn't seem to matter. All the images are loaded but it continues to load something, as the loading bar repeatedly pushes and then releases the thread.

Double edit: disabling embedded videos solved it...even though im pretty sure it did it on pages without* YouTube vids.

Tunga posted:

I'm getting that too. Infinite refresh loop on any page with a YouTube video.

N5 on 4.4 so maybe Chromium WebView related.

londonmoose posted:

I'm having an issue with the app on 4.4, on my N5. Emoticons aren't showing up, instead there is just a blank square. I'm using the latest market version, and I've cleared the cache and data. Default settings. It still works fine on my other devices. No other issues that I've noticed.

It's not a big deal, just slightly annoying. Thanks for any help, and in general for a very useful app.

Edit : also just noticed that some avatars aren't showing up, including the stupid newbie one. Others are fine, and again they all show up on my other devices. I have a slight suspicion that it could be network related though, so I'm going to do another quick test.

E2: no luck. Tried it on both 3g, and wifi with custom dns (my ISP default is often shockingly poor and has caused similar issues in the past, so I usually use Google DNS, but hadn't set it up on the new phone yet. Doesn't seem to make a difference in this case). Deleted data both times, and even did a full reinstall once. No change.

Tunga posted:

Looks like I have both of those issues too (N5).

Also confirming that disabling embedded YouTube fixes the refresh issue.

LastInLine posted:

I'm not seeing the avatar or emoticon issue on 4.4. I didn't attempt to recreate the refresh issue, I just went ahead and disabled embedded YouTube.

It's definately some Javascript code in the youtube embeds that causes this. Just disable it for now.

As for stuff not showing up, everything is fine for me. Are you people in the Beta (please say no) ?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The emoticons not showing up is just a symptom of images not loading correctly sometimes on non wifi as far as I can tell.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

It's definately some Javascript code in the youtube embeds that causes this. Just disable it for now.

As for stuff not showing up, everything is fine for me. Are you people in the Beta (please say no) ?
Sorry, I'm in the beta but I'm experiencing no problems except the refresh which it sounds like you've figured out.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Avatars seem fine now, probably just a connection issue, will keep an eye out though.

Edit: I am dumb and made this post from my N7 which obviously isn't running 4.4. It's actually still broken. Emoticons show an empty square and some avatars are just blank.

I also tried turning GIF animations on and the phone seemed to get pretty hot but that wasn't a very scientific test. Apparently the new WebView runs in a kind of compatibility mode unless the targeted SDK in set to 19 so maybe that'll fix it.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 6, 2013

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
I'm still not seeing any emoticons, as well as some avatars. I'm using the latest market version, not the beta. This *is* on wifi, and my other non-4.4 devices have no problems on the same connection.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

So is it normal behavior now that your 'last seen' doesn't update on a page refresh? It made me think that it wasn't working at all, but if I use the manual mark last seen on a thread, back out to the thread list, refresh the thread list and then go back into the thread, I get the proper seen location. It seems to only change when the thread list is fetched.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CrashCat posted:

So is it normal behavior now that your 'last seen' doesn't update on a page refresh? It made me think that it wasn't working at all, but if I use the manual mark last seen on a thread, back out to the thread list, refresh the thread list and then go back into the thread, I get the proper seen location. It seems to only change when the thread list is fetched.
That happens on the forums too. Mark a post last read then keep reading the thread (going to a future page). Return to the thread list and the thread will be marked unread at the point you marked. You have to return to the thread list for the last read marker to "take".

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

LastInLine posted:

That happens on the forums too. Mark a post last read then keep reading the thread (going to a future page). Return to the thread list and the thread will be marked unread at the point you marked. You have to return to the thread list for the last read marker to "take".

That bug is very annoying! Radium is screwing us again :argh:

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Khisanth Magus posted:

The emoticons not showing up is just a symptom of images not loading correctly sometimes on non wifi as far as I can tell.

No. i'm in wifi right now and in 4.4 Awful will not show any Gifs (including Emoticons) as long as GIF animations are disabled. Turn in GIF animations, refresh and the Gifs will be there.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I searched the thread (using awful) and didn't see this, but is there a way to enable signatures when posting in the app that I'm missing?

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011

Greyhawk posted:

No. i'm in wifi right now and in 4.4 Awful will not show any Gifs (including Emoticons) as long as GIF animations are disabled. Turn in GIF animations, refresh and the Gifs will be there.

Yep, that works for me as well! That also explains why only some avatars weren't loading. On non 4.4 versions having gif animations turned off would still load emoticons and gif avatars, which I preferred. I'm guessing this is a bug then?

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
I just installed the awful app on a new nexus phone but I can't log in. It keeps telling me login fail. I obviously know my username and password seeing as that I opened the browser logged in and posted this message...
Is this a thing?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Brigadier Sockface posted:

I just installed the awful app on a new nexus phone but I can't log in. It keeps telling me login fail. I obviously know my username and password seeing as that I opened the browser logged in and posted this message...
Is this a thing?

Please give me a list of all special characters in your password (or PM them to me if you're not comfortable with posting them here). As a quick fix, change your password to something with A-Z/0-9 only. Normal punctuation like . , - and ? should be fine too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sereri posted:

Please give me a list of all special characters in your password (or PM them to me if you're not comfortable with posting them here). As a quick fix, change your password to something with A-Z/0-9 only. Normal punctuation like . , - and ? should be fine too.

Haha what?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Haha what?

I think the encoding is loving up a character in his password (because the username looks normal). Stupid forums and their CP-1251. Just use utf-8 damnit.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Sereri posted:

The only punctuation I use is a hypen. But I'll try the short-term password change.
edit: Did the trick!

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 7, 2013

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sereri posted:

I think the encoding is loving up a character in his password (because the username looks normal). Stupid forums and their CP-1251. Just use utf-8 damnit.

Oh hey, I should probably fix this.

edit: Does Awful.apk just plain not work on passwords with (gasp) non-win1252 code points?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Figured it out. Replace characters outside win1252 with their HTML entities before percent-encoding.

(This is true in general, including posting new replies. So if you implement a general-purpose POST request serializer that does this, you can delete any HTML escaping you were doing on replies.)

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

Figured it out. Replace characters outside win1252 with their HTML entities before percent-encoding.

(This is true in general, including posting new replies. So if you implement a general-purpose POST request serializer that does this, you can delete any HTML escaping you were doing on replies.)

Added html char encoding before the CP1252 encoding. Can't wait to see what that breaks :v:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sereri, I need an option to post my signature. It is affecting my night crew cred. If you can't it's okay but it would be nice.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Diqnol posted:

Sereri, I need an option to post my signature. It is affecting my night crew cred. If you can't it's okay but it would be nice.

Per post or in general?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sereri posted:

Per post or in general?

Any way to do it would be good, be that eternally on or per post.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Found a bug, happens on both my n4 and n7.

In a thread, if the orientation switches, I can't go to a new page. It just hangs at about 80% loading. Going back out to bookmarks and then going in again works, but is not ideal.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Diqnol posted:

Any way to do it would be good, be that eternally on or per post.

Per post version currently going to the market beta. I also added an option to disable emots while I was at it.

kri kri posted:

Found a bug, happens on both my n4 and n7.

In a thread, if the orientation switches, I can't go to a new page. It just hangs at about 80% loading. Going back out to bookmarks and then going in again works, but is not ideal.

Try disabling the Gif fix. If that solves it there'll be a fix soon.

Anecdotally, I've had gifs enabled on 4.4 without Awful's battery usage exploding (at least according to the statistics). How is it for everyone else?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You're the best! :)

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Sereri posted:

Anecdotally, I've had gifs enabled on 4.4 without Awful's battery usage exploding (at least according to the statistics). How is it for everyone else?

I haven't noticed significant drain myself. Might be placebo but it seems like the gifs load a bit more quickly/smoothly as well.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ArcMage posted:

Alright, I've finished dicking with this thing. Here it is for anyone who wants a slightly more colorful version of spanky's dark theme.

Full credit to spanky for his edited dark.css, and free use to anyone.

Theme here.

May you have joy of it.
:shobon:

This is awesome and you are awesome. One little question: the forums list, bookmarks page, and post composition screen are all black text on a white background. Is this by design or did I screw something up when installing the theme?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ArcMage posted:

Alright, I've finished dicking with this thing. Here it is for anyone who wants a slightly more colorful version of spanky's dark theme.

Full credit to spanky for his edited dark.css, and free use to anyone.

Theme here.

Screenshot:

May you have joy of it.
:shobon:

E, f: Twice, it wrapped url tags around urls inside of other tags, resulting in incorrect behaviour of a timg and a url with text other than the link itself. Dunno if that can be helped.

e: it works now. Weird.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Penguissimo posted:

This is awesome and you are awesome. One little question: the forums list, bookmarks page, and post composition screen are all black text on a white background. Is this by design or did I screw something up when installing the theme?

Your guess is better than mind, man, I hacked that theme together with a box of scraps on my device. I recall having a similar problem and I have no idea what I did that fixed it.

If SB35 was having the issue, check with em maybe? You might also try selecting the normal dark css, and paging around a bit, then selecting mine. I don't know how it generates the bookmark/forum pageviews but it's not done with that style sheet.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

ArcMage posted:

Your guess is better than mind, man, I hacked that theme together with a box of scraps on my device. I recall having a similar problem and I have no idea what I did that fixed it.

If SB35 was having the issue, check with em maybe? You might also try selecting the normal dark css, and paging around a bit, then selecting mine. I don't know how it generates the bookmark/forum pageviews but it's not done with that style sheet.

This is the problem I had too. I copy pasted into notepad++ and then saved as .css and loaded it several times. Flipped back and fourth between a default theme and this one and on like the third try it finally worked.

Now I have another problem, I'm on an N5 with android 4.4 so maybe this is an early adopter problem but none of my emotes show up. They all show as a little box. They do show as their text substitute if I turn off emote support though.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SB35 posted:

Now I have another problem, I'm on an N5 with android 4.4 so maybe this is an early adopter problem but none of my emotes show up. They all show as a little box. They do show as their text substitute if I turn off emote support though.
You can't disable GIFs on the new Chromium WebView.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

KitKat and Awful don't seem to play well with each other. Some pages constantly reload images over and over. Apologies if this was posted before, just wanted to add my two cents.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ZeeBoi posted:

KitKat and Awful don't seem to play well with each other. Some pages constantly reload images over and over. Apologies if this was posted before, just wanted to add my two cents.

Yes, it's the youtube embedding. There seems to be JS that is broken. Disable it.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Why are there two menu buttons in the top bar? The "real" menu button (corresponding to the depreciated hardware button) only has three options in it. Seems to me that all the functions of the "v" button could be in there, too. Having an extra menu doesn't really serve a necessary organizational function and it takes up a non-trivial amount of space from the thread title when you're on a phone-sized screen.

Speaking of space saving: are there plans to implement a way to hide the top and bottom bars for a true full-screen view?

Eikre fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 10, 2013

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Eikre posted:

Speaking of space saving: are there plans to implement a way to hide the top and bottom bars for a true full-screen view?

There is a branch being worked on with immersive mode (a 4.4 feature) which removes the NavigationBar and status bar, but nothing in the works to hide the ActionBar/paging bar.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Well... That's nice, I guess. I have hardware navigation buttons and feel that the android notification bar has a much higher ambient-usefulness::space ratio so I can't say immersion mode gets my cock too hard.

I think it would be good if there were an option to cause the action and paging bars to turn invisible unless you were at the top or bottom of the screen (or you hit the deprecated hardware menu button). I don't think those interfaces' functions (I.e., turning the page or making a new post without quoting) are frequently relevant unless you're at the bottom of the page. Plus, on the real forums, that's where you find those options, anyway.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Eikre posted:

Why are there two menu buttons in the top bar? The "real" menu button (corresponding to the depreciated hardware button) only has three options in it. Seems to me that all the functions of the "v" button could be in there, too. Having an extra menu doesn't really serve a necessary organizational function and it takes up a non-trivial amount of space from the thread title when you're on a phone-sized screen.

The v is content specific, the menu button is for things that aren't.

Eikre posted:

Well... That's nice, I guess. I have hardware navigation buttons and feel that the android notification bar has a much higher ambient-usefulness::space ratio so I can't say immersion mode gets my cock too hard.

I think it would be good if there were an option to cause the action and paging bars to turn invisible unless you were at the top or bottom of the screen (or you hit the deprecated hardware menu button). I don't think those interfaces' functions (I.e., turning the page or making a new post without quoting) are frequently relevant unless you're at the bottom of the page. Plus, on the real forums, that's where you find those options, anyway.

Not in the near future.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Is there a tips 'n tricks sheet I can look at? I feel like I'm missing out on some features. I seem to remember there was a tap you could do to scroll down one post, or maybe it was one page, but can't remember how, am I imagining things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Croisquessein posted:

Is there a tips 'n tricks sheet I can look at? I feel like I'm missing out on some features. I seem to remember there was a tap you could do to scroll down one post, or maybe it was one page, but can't remember how, am I imagining things?

I think you might be thinking of the volume button scrolling? I haven't used that feature but pretty sure it does that.