Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sharktopus posted:

its a streaming gif that livestreams yospos irc
Wow I saw it move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Sharktopus posted:

cool now i can lurk and never say anything in irc from work too

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Sharktopus posted:

I almost called shenanigans after I reloaded the page and compared it to the one I dragged to my desktop. Then I reloaded the page one more time and it was a new set of 12 frames. Good job. :)

I kind of want to ask how you did it, but please don't feel pressured to give away your secrets or put in the effort to explain. I haven't noticed whether or not if it will keep on playing after the 12 frames.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I almost called shenanigans after I reloaded the page and compared it to the one I dragged to my desktop. Then I reloaded the page one more time and it was a new set of 12 frames. Good job. :)

I kind of want to ask how you did it, but please don't feel pressured to give away your secrets or put in the effort to explain. I haven't noticed whether or not if it will keep on playing after the 12 frames.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess, but this is likely what it's doing:

When the browser requests the GIF, the server returns the GIF header and the first frame but never closes the connection. GIF is a simple format so browsers can render earlier frames without actually loading the entire image. Since the server keeps the connection open, it can wait a few seconds and send out the next frame. Repeat this until the server times out or the browser cuts off the connection (chrome killed it after 2 minutes for me).

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

yeah the GIF format doesn't require a number of frames to be served or any kind of length indicator in the header so I just keep the sockets open and then spool out images on a timeout (5sec right now)

The 60s timeout on the image is also something I added to avoid breaking the forums too badly, since some things seem to run on load and not domready (lookin' at you timg tag). Ideally, I would never close the connection and keep the refresh interval low so it's more or less real time. I was able to run it for 10 minutes without chrome killing the connection so as far as I know as long as you send data periodically and the disk doesn't fill up you can stream indefinitely.

After I clean it up some I'll put the code somewhere if there's interest.

Cryolite
Oct 2, 2006
sodium aluminum fluoride
There's interest, I'd love to see it!

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010

clockwork automaton posted:

Not so much of a screenshot as a video of the UI in action for automatically generating star wars gifs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n387eBqnw1o

here's an example of one of the generated gifs (shrunk for filesize)

Edit: Oh, I should probably link the github repo: starwars-dot-gif.

Hey! I knew I saw this here first. Your blog is front page on HN right now, awesome!

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I guess L-Systems are a good way to learn graphics libraries, or something.

link

You can use "WASDQE" + Spacebar and left control to zoom around.

The performance is pretty bad for some reason, but it's a proof of concept.

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

Alright, I uploaded source here: https://github.com/limnick/gifbot

It's pretty cobbled together and may still leak memory.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

This is an old project I decided to take a look at again. Unhappy with the lack of variation the built in radio gives, I decided to make my own Spotify radio app.

I found a list of all possible genres and categorised those into more general ones, and specified how many hundred of the most popular songs in each genre should be included. The program then makes a playlist and plays it. I added a listener to the playlist that gets notified each time a new song gets played, and if the playlist is about to run out, new tracks are added randomly, using the Spotify web search API to find more tracks. Then the playlist is rendered with HTML around the current song.

The results? A customised radio station that probably wont play the same song twice the same month.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Still been working my butt off of my game. Here are some things I did recently.

Idle animations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpGOO_E_0XU&hd=1
Super Dash Prototype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMap6rzxyIo&hd=1
Step Triggers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyoadUE_40s&hd=1
Delay Triggers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp10N6CETeE&hd=1

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Pretty jealous of all of the awesome stuff in this thread. Game development always looks like a blast.

I was looking at some monitoring solutions for keeping tabs on our render farm, and everything was either outside my budget or overkill for the limited monitoring I wanted to do. I ran across Tim Golden's WMI Python module and rolled my own instead. It monitors average core temp, cpu load, ram usage and ram load. The DR and BB labels will light up, exclusively, depending on if a particular process crosses a cpu load threshhold, indicating what type of rendering is being tasked on that machine. Ive still got to tighten up the vertical spacing so the remaining 6 servers will fit on screen, or maybe make a more responsive layout, because my pyqt is wretched at the moment.

I'm really weak on OOP, so not setting the servers on fire was a huge victory for me.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 5, 2013

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Orzo posted:

Still been working my butt off of my game. Here are some things I did recently.

Idle animations https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpGOO_E_0XU&hd=1
Super Dash Prototype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMap6rzxyIo&hd=1
Step Triggers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyoadUE_40s&hd=1
Delay Triggers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp10N6CETeE&hd=1

This game is going to kick rear end. You're going to be able to retire.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Centripetal Horse posted:

This game is going to kick rear end. You're going to be able to retire.
I don't know about that, but your comment made me happy so thanks! This is what I'm working on at the moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Dua_X0vUA&hd=1

(Pending new animations)

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

LFO wave drawing is done, and updates live as they're controlled:

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

lord funk posted:

LFO wave drawing is done, and updates live as they're controlled:

I probably stared way too long at this gif. It's mesmerizing.

I decided I wanted to do a stupid game thing and I also decided that it would be fun to play around with LÖVE since I don't really know lua.

Nothing fancy yet on that front I just started this evening, but I did take some time out for jokes:

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq44aCiyekg

Adiabatic bow shock travelling at 0.5 times the speed of light.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Orzo posted:

I don't know about that, but your comment made me happy so thanks! This is what I'm working on at the moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9Dua_X0vUA&hd=1

(Pending new animations)

You deserve the praise, your work looks fantastic, and it's nice to see you continuing to plug away at it. Good indie projects make me happy. I can definitely see this game being popular on a variety of platforms. I am really enjoying watching your progress.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

It's rare I get something that's worthy of showing given I work on back-end stuff for internal services -- last two times were about my old job doing RTB and post-facto reports of what I did.

That's still what I'm posting today, and this time it's another super fun long blog post, about the work I do at Heroku and Erlang: https://blog.heroku.com/archives/2013/11/7/logplex-down-the-rabbit-hole

Hopefully it's a fun read :shobon:

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
This isn't so much a screenshot, it's console output. I have been working through Huffman coding lately, this nonsense is the output from my non-adaptive implementation. The source message was the declaration of independence. The second column shows the frequency of occurrence of the symbol and the last column is the symbol's bitcode. The message was 1628 bytes. After encoding the message with the bitcodes, the output is approximately 883 bytes. That isn't bad at all for a non-adaptive implementation, I think.

code:
h|76|0000
l|41|00010
u|42|00011
r|83|0010
o|86|0011
a|87|0100
b|21|010100
g|22|010101
d|45|01011
e|176|011
i|93|1000
n|95|1001
s|96|1010
,|23|101100
T|5|10110100
.|7|10110101
-|7|10110110
S|4|101101110
j|4|101101111
m|29|101110
R|2|1011110000
C|2|1011110001
H|2|1011110010
L|2|1011110011
G|8|10111101
EOF|-2|10111110000000
K|1|10111110000001
D|1|1011111000001
O|1|101111100001
x|1|10111110001
B|2|1011111001
q|1|10111110100
W|1|10111110101
z|1|10111110110
M|1|10111110111
P|2|1011111100
F|2|1011111101
;|2|1011111110
k|2|1011111111
 |266|110
f|33|111000
w|16|1110010
y|19|1110011
c|35|111010
v|19|1110110
p|21|1110111
t|143|1111

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

I guess L-Systems are a good way to learn graphics libraries, or something.

link

You can use "WASDQE" + Spacebar and left control to zoom around.

The performance is pretty bad for some reason, but it's a proof of concept.

This is pretty sick, man!

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

MononcQc posted:

It's rare I get something that's worthy of showing given I work on back-end stuff for internal services -- last two times were about my old job doing RTB and post-facto reports of what I did.

That's still what I'm posting today, and this time it's another super fun long blog post, about the work I do at Heroku and Erlang: https://blog.heroku.com/archives/2013/11/7/logplex-down-the-rabbit-hole

Holy crap, I'm a massive Heroku fan and I host pretty much all my webapps on there, so let me say thank you for this blog post and all the work you do. Heroku is the kind of thing where it's just so massively complex that I couldn't even begin to imagine how to work without it. I'm on the east coast as well, so that just made it even cooler to read (although a lot of it was over my head, I can at least appreciate the amount of work you poured into it).

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

ambushsabre posted:

Holy crap, I'm a massive Heroku fan and I host pretty much all my webapps on there, so let me say thank you for this blog post and all the work you do. Heroku is the kind of thing where it's just so massively complex that I couldn't even begin to imagine how to work without it. I'm on the east coast as well, so that just made it even cooler to read (although a lot of it was over my head, I can at least appreciate the amount of work you poured into it).

Thanks, glad you liked it. It gets kind of rare to hear good comments when the most frequent interactions we get with users are through ticket systems to tell you what it is you're not doing right, so I appreciate that!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

MononcQc posted:

Chrome just yelled and said your SSL cert isn't trusted for that blog? :( Love heroku either way :respek:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Chrome just yelled and said your SSL cert isn't trusted for that blog? :( Love heroku either way :respek:

I just pinged someone internally about that. Chrome has it working for me (but doesn't show comments) and FF is having a fit (no CSS, but comments are in). Whoever is in charge of that will figure it out I guess. I think they took out comments entirely yesterday and something could have borked up.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

This is pretty sick, man!

Thanks! I ended up fixing the performance issues and added in the ability to have stochastic (thanks wikipedia!) rules so that stuff can branch randomly. I also made it so rotation rules can be applied along any 3-dimensional axis. I think I actually have a pretty complete setup for 3d L-Systems now but I'm too lazy to sit down and write my own :effort:.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

MononcQc posted:

I think they took out comments entirely yesterday and something could have borked up.

Everything seems fine now

Pardot fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 14, 2013

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Oh god is it Saturday yet?

Been working on this little prototype for 3 days or so. BET YOU CAN'T GUESS WHAT IT IS.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Woodsy Owl posted:

This isn't so much a screenshot, it's console output. I have been working through Huffman coding lately, this nonsense is the output from my non-adaptive implementation. The source message was the declaration of independence. The second column shows the frequency of occurrence of the symbol and the last column is the symbol's bitcode. The message was 1628 bytes. After encoding the message with the bitcodes, the output is approximately 883 bytes. That isn't bad at all for a non-adaptive implementation, I think.
Compression is fun! I wrote a Huffman coder ages ago and found it to be immensely satisfying. If you need another fix after this, try LZW, it's fairly straightforward, but complicated enough that you'll need to use your head to work everything out.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Tres Burritos posted:

Thanks! I ended up fixing the performance issues and added in the ability to have stochastic (thanks wikipedia!) rules so that stuff can branch randomly. I also made it so rotation rules can be applied along any 3-dimensional axis. I think I actually have a pretty complete setup for 3d L-Systems now but I'm too lazy to sit down and write my own :effort:.

How did you implement the tree-looking structure? IS there an algorithm at play there, or is it a fractal?

steckles posted:

Compression is fun! I wrote a Huffman coder ages ago and found it to be immensely satisfying. If you need another fix after this, try LZW, it's fairly straightforward, but complicated enough that you'll need to use your head to work everything out.

Thank for the heads up, I'll give LZW a go! I implemented my Huffman coder into an app to encode and decode any file. It's pretty cool playing around with it and discovering how compressible different file types are. MP3s don't hardly compress at all by Huffman coding, but images (pngs, bmps, jpegs) are well-compressed by Huffman encoding. I think this is related to entropy...? I'm not really sure about what exactly that is, but it's effects are very obvious.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Woodsy Owl posted:

How did you implement the tree-looking structure? IS there an algorithm at play there, or is it a fractal?

Oh that's just one of the example systems from wikipedia that I tweaked a tiny bit to make it 3d. You can poke at the source if interested. It's all there.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Screenshot saturday time. Just finished a homeworld HOD background importer and added a map transition animation, so here it is (with one of the HW2 mission backgrounds for the time being :v:):

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Woodsy Owl posted:

MP3s don't hardly compress at all by Huffman coding, but images (pngs, bmps, jpegs) are well-compressed by Huffman encoding. I think this is related to entropy...? I'm not really sure about what exactly that is, but it's effects are very obvious.
Yeah if I remember correctly, the Shannon entropy of a data stream defines the maximum possible lossless compression that can be achieved. You'll never be able to compress anything to fewer bits than the number needed to define the data's entropy.

I'm surprised you're squeezing JPEG files much. The final step of the JPEG algorithm is to Huffman code the bit stream. The JPEG Huffman tables are pre-computed though, so I guess your compressor is taking advantage of that inefficiency.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

ZombieApostate posted:

Oh god is it Saturday yet?

Been working on this little prototype for 3 days or so. BET YOU CAN'T GUESS WHAT IT IS.

Foosball? I like it!

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
I made blood persistent. Seems kinda cool. I've toned it back a bunch now and made it not penetrate walls, but I still like this screenshot:

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

Mug posted:

I made blood persistent. Seems kinda cool. I've toned it back a bunch now and made it not penetrate walls, but I still like this screenshot:
These forums really need an upvote button sometimes, even if I could use it only once per month.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

aerique posted:

These forums really need an upvote button sometimes, even if I could use it only once per month.
There's a site for that. Me, I'd rather have people quote and reply :)

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I get really excited by all of the projects in here. I wish I had something new to show.

Our game has to be ready for presenting in about 15 days. I've been having a lot of struggles with my teammates not doing the work they've agreed to. So in addition to programming, I have been dipping a little bit into art, and I may have to also take over level design. To be honest, I feel like there is a lot of weight on my shoulders to do this all right.

I'm trying to follow what seems like a working pattern for me: plan out milestones, itemize down in progressive detail, implement each feature, test it, and strike it off the list. I have a folder filled with crossed-off lists to look at and know I'm making progress. Tonight I am working on a visual update for the game; working in new animations and tiles. Some of the animations are not consistent, and this is requiring some finagling on my part to make them work perfectly.

Screenshots will be coming tonight after the visual update is more complete.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I'm working on this little site that lets you start a "burst", then share that link (or put it on the homepage) with other people who can respond instantly and anonymously. I have no idea if there's like, any sort of want or use for something like this, but it our little tests it's seemed really cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mez
Jun 23, 2008

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

Not to speak on behalf of Sharktopus, but it looks like it might be using gifsockets. Relevant part of the readme:

gifsockets posted:

a gif image doesn't specify how many frames it has, once the browser opens it, it will keep waiting for new frames until you send the bits indicating that there's no more image to fetch.

e: Saw he posted source... Leaving this here anyway since gifsockets is fun