Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I always ask people how low they will take right off the bat. It gives me a gauge if they can negotiate or are a softie. Usually it will drop the price a bit and I can start from there. If it's someone who balks then I appear to be a poor negotiator and it puts me at an advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Preoptopus posted:

I always say, show up with cash, we will talk.

I always show up with what I'm willing to pay, and somehow try to work having the cash out in hand as a last ditch "take it or leave it" offer.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
When you buy a house, offers aren't offers until they are in writing, otherwise bullshit walks. Same principle should apply to everything else soo. If you want to offer me a lower price, come over, check out the car, appear to be interested, then lay out your lower price in cash on my table and we will talk. Otherwise you're just some faceless goon on the phone and why should I take your offer seriously?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Wasabi the J posted:

I always show up with what I'm willing to pay, and somehow try to work having the cash out in hand as a last ditch "take it or leave it" offer.
I hate people like you. I detest people like you. People like you have wasted so many hours of my time and caused me so much frustration. To show up with less money than either agreed upon or listed is an rear end in a top hat move that shows you have absolutely zero respect for the other party and their time. I walk away from people like you. That isn't negotiating, that's borderline scamming.

"Take it or leave it." gently caress you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bovril Delight posted:

I always ask people how low they will take right off the bat. It gives me a gauge if they can negotiate or are a softie. Usually it will drop the price a bit and I can start from there. If it's someone who balks then I appear to be a poor negotiator and it puts me at an advantage.

No, it makes you seem like a douchebag in negotiating, or that you don't understand how negotiations work. And it doesn't put you at an advantage, because then the seller thinks you're not going to bother with negotiating and you end up pissing them off later if/when you actually decide to start to. Pissing off the seller is a horrible tactic if you're trying to buy something.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LiquidRain posted:

I hate people like you. I detest people like you. People like you have wasted so many hours of my time and caused me so much frustration. To show up with less money than either agreed upon or listed is an rear end in a top hat move that shows you have absolutely zero respect for the other party and their time. I walk away from people like you. That isn't negotiating, that's borderline scamming.

That happened when I sold the SHO. Fucker went on and on how my price was too high, we finally agreed on a price and he shows up in a loving $40K truck with a huge non-rented trailer and he hands me $200 less than we agreed on.

Well jokes on him, that car had so many problems I didn't mention so ha ha ha!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Michael Scott posted:

I am comfortable talking about money, I just know that I am bad with negotiations..

As I am currently in the process of selling my car this is an interesting statement. I am now 28 years old and have much more life experience. I think that everyone pays their way through the 'university of life'. You know you're starting to win when things make better sense in your head and then you see it executed as previously thought out. This is another way of what was being said above me, posturing and confidence and whatnot. It feels good to start getting better at this stuff. I blame this generations negotiating skills on text messages. Not having the stones to even talk on the phone show that you're too afraid of confrontation.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Know whos bad with money? WillIAM.

See that there? that's 900,000 dollars.
http://thesupercarkids.com/will-i-am-customcar/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=will-i-am-customcar

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

Michael Scott posted:

I am comfortable talking about money, I just know that I am bad with negotiations..

I will pass on these words of wisdom if you decide to hone your negotiating skills:

With rare exception, if an item is up for negotiating, but no value has been placed on it, the first party to offer up a price will lose.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

No, it makes you seem like a douchebag in negotiating, or that you don't understand how negotiations work. And it doesn't put you at an advantage, because then the seller thinks you're not going to bother with negotiating and you end up pissing them off later if/when you actually decide to start to. Pissing off the seller is a horrible tactic if you're trying to buy something.

To be fair most people don't give half a poo poo. Most things I'm buying there are plenty of examples so if someone is upset with dealing with a seller I can just move on. I've yet to have someone refuse a sale.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

From the seller side, I concur. I'd rather tell people like that to piss off or pay full price than to negotiate down with someone who knows how to play the game. In fact, I've done so on many occasions.

What is comes down to is that my price is my price, but you get a discount for not pissing me off (showing up on time, having cash right then, not being a douche, etc.).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I see a lot of listings that say 'will not answer txts' and it tends to weed out the idiots who cold-cock you with a lowball offer over txt out of the blue. People who actually want to buy the loving vehicle, like me, will go out of their way to come and look at the stupid thing. This paid off for me when I bought a bike with about $6500 market value for $5400 because I was the first person to volunteer to drive an hour and look at the stupid thing with my eyes instead of asking questions based on one lovely 800x600 photo.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Who cares. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

I love the fact that the garish POS is parked on top of a pile of garbage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Team140 posted:

I love the fact that the garish POS is parked on top of a pile of garbage.

That is $900,000 he will never even see a tenth of its value again.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rhyno posted:

That happened when I sold the SHO. Fucker went on and on how my price was too high, we finally agreed on a price and he shows up in a loving $40K truck with a huge non-rented trailer and he hands me $200 less than we agreed on.

Well jokes on him, that car had so many problems I didn't mention so ha ha ha!

I always assume that there are problems I haven't seen and offer with that in mind. That said, I don't offer insulting prices either, unless you're obviously an idiot and asking twice what the car is worth.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

CommieGIR posted:

That is $900,000 he will never even see a tenth of its value again.

It's a loving 1958 VW Bug.

He put a million dollars into this.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Ror posted:

What the Christ.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ror posted:

Ok, I usually don't like VW Bugs, but in this case I will feel sorry for one being abused like this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ror posted:

*barf* He could have MADE the car from scratch for that amount WITHOUT the bug, and then made a kit to sell to others and STILL not top $500,000! :stare:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LiquidRain posted:

"Take it or leave it." gently caress you.

DUDE whoa, no, I meant when I come to look at the thing, not when we've agreed upon the price. Say you had a thing for sale, listed on Craigslist for 4k. I come with $3,500 to bargain. I did not mean, that I would bargain with you and then not show up with the money we agreed upon.

Seriously, that poo poo is not cool.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

If william kept giving me money I'd build that POS. It must be cool as hell to be surrounded by yes men and sincerely believe you're a genius.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Team140 posted:

I love the fact that the garish POS is driven by a pile of garbage.

One of the few cars I can sincerely call truly monstrous.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

DUDE whoa, no, I meant when I come to look at the thing, not when we've agreed upon the price. Say you had a thing for sale, listed on Craigslist for 4k. I come with $3,500 to bargain. I did not mean, that I would bargain with you and then not show up with the money we agreed upon.

Seriously, that poo poo is not cool.

To add to this - when I've done this in the past, I brought a cashier's check made out for what I think I can talk them down to, and cash to cover the rest of the cost if I can't talk them down (assuming I think their asking price is fair to begin with).

Terrible car stuff is "will you take a puppy for this 95 Saturn SL1 plzzzzzzzz". In hindsight I totally should've taken the guy up on the offer to buy it for $100 and a promise that he'd film it on his lovely website getting smashed to bits, that car was a turd.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

neat

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It has to be some kind of roundabout money laundering scheme?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
When stupid fuckers ask me what my lowest price is I tell them a price higher than what I had listed. gently caress you in the ear if you pull that bullshit on me.

Actually, I don't even try and sell poo poo on craigslist anymore. It's simply not worth my time, too many flakes, lowballers, tire kickers, and straight up retards. And fortunately the only vehicles and parts I really wheel and deal have good solid mostly-intelligent people involved in their respective communities, so I have the luxury of telling the dipshits to get the gently caress out of my forsale thread and never waste my time again.

I don't miss dealing with CL people at all. I think the most :psyduck: purchase attempt was when I had a 90s dodge NV4500 manual transmission out of a gasser V8 4x4 truck for sale on CL, with all of that info listed, and some brainiac called me up wanting to buy an automatic for a turbodiesel RWD dodge truck from the 2000s. No fucker, it's not even close to the same and isn't going to fit. Stop running your mouth at me.

I've posted this one before, but he keeps making GBS threads up my facebook newsfeed with ego pics of his stupid tall truck, so here it is again:

Guy got all up in arms when everyone told him his truck was stupid tall and useless. Claimed it'd tow at 90mph down the highway all day long.

This year he towed his trailer to the Stafford Speedway fall swap meet with a rented uhaul pickup :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The only time I tried selling a car on Craigslist (a 1996 Lumina for $1.2k) I said I would consider trades but I DID NOT WANT a large truck or any other '90s American sedan at all but would consider literally anything else. I only got two phone calls for that ad, one wanting to know if I would trade for a 1988 Ford F-250 4x4 quad-cab and the other one had a 1992 Chevy Corsica with the 2.8l. :fuckoff:

I've had pretty good luck buying cars from Craigslist though.

E: I eventually destroyed the Lumina with a tree, a bayonet, several construction tools, various bits of other vehicles, a washing machine, an angle-grinder, my fists/feet, and several hundred rounds of ammunition. In that order.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 6, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, I have fine luck buying, mostly because I'm that guy who shows up on time with cash in hand. I don't bullshit or try and beat people up on the price till I see the thing in person, either.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I have a motorcycle I need to sell and am dreading the hell out of listing it. If you think Craigslist car buyers are bad you should see the squids that roll up wanting a test ride. I get the vibe that criminals looking to steal your ride either right then and there, or late at night once they know where it is, are more common with bike ads than with a car you can ride shotgun in, and lock.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Terrible Robot posted:

1992 Chevy Corsica with the 2.8l. :fuckoff:

He was obviously trying to pull a fast one over you. The 2.8l was discontinued in 1989.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Throatwarbler posted:

He was obviously trying to pull a fast one over you. The 2.8l was discontinued in 1989. ]

It honestly probably was an '89, fucker called me at 7am on a Saturday to offer me something I said multiple times in the ad I wasn't interested in. I was...not nice.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible Robot posted:

It honestly probably was an '89, fucker called me at 7am on a Saturday to offer me something I said multiple times in the ad I wasn't interested in. I was...not nice.

Why did he think you would take an arguably worse car as a trade? Perplexing. I had the displeasure of driving an '89 Tempest with that engine once and it was awful.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
My opinion is people get the deal they deserve. If they leave money on the table, that's just the price of insecurity/poor negotiation skills/etc.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I've never had problems when buying used. It has become quite a bit more difficult AFTER cash for clunkers, but it isn't impossible. I would strongly suggest that you don't hit up Craigslist when inebriated, though. Best. Worst. Decisions. Ever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Snowdens Secret posted:

I have a motorcycle I need to sell and am dreading the hell out of listing it. If you think Craigslist car buyers are bad you should see the squids that roll up wanting a test ride. I get the vibe that criminals looking to steal your ride either right then and there, or late at night once they know where it is, are more common with bike ads than with a car you can ride shotgun in, and lock.

Meet up at a police station parking lot and no test rides without cash shown and a signed agreement that a wreck/laying down means you bought it regardless of fault.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Saw one of these in person recently. Looks like a cylon from the original BSG. Also looks like my cat's vomit.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

kastein posted:

Actually, I don't even try and sell poo poo on craigslist anymore. It's simply not worth my time, too many flakes, lowballers, tire kickers, and straight up retards. And fortunately the only vehicles and parts I really wheel and deal have good solid mostly-intelligent people involved in their respective communities, so I have the luxury of telling the dipshits to get the gently caress out of my forsale thread and never waste my time again.

What exactly do these words mean? Seems like you're completely uninterested in bargaining; do you state that you're not bargaining when you're selling? Honest question.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I found a nice looking $1,500 Fiero for sale locally, "Rad with greg interior" with no shot of the interior. I called the seller tonight and we chatted for a good 2-3 minutes about the car, what type of transmission it had, how the engine ran, tire condition etc. Sounded like a good runner. It wasn't until I asked about a time to meet up that he told me he'd sold the car two days prior, I guess the man just enjoyed talking about the car. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
Sorry, this is awesome.
Don't think of it as a '58 Bug that someone (who has a brazillian dollars) put a million dollars small fraction of their net worth into over the course of 2 shops and 4 years while not being able to make a single drat decision about the car.
Think of it as something that drove right the gently caress out of the pages of Dick loving Tracy.
Then got a lovely purple paint job. Or got splashed by that awful Madonna movie's art designer.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 6, 2013