Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm curious if there's a fuzz pedal around that could be a big brother to my OD808 in terms of the general philosophy behind it. Simple, not overly tweakable but with nothing but usable tones. Low noise and dynamic in response to volume knobs would be great. No EHX unless you really have a good suggestion, I'm just not a fan of that company and their qc. No scooped mid garbage either. Am I asking for too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm curious if there's a fuzz pedal around that could be a big brother to my OD808 in terms of the general philosophy behind it. Simple, not overly tweakable but with nothing but usable tones. Low noise and dynamic in response to volume knobs would be great. No EHX unless you really have a good suggestion, I'm just not a fan of that company and their qc. No scooped mid garbage either. Am I asking for too much?

I asked ML a similar question and someone recomended the Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom, I ordered one and I love it. 4 parameters output, fuzz, gain, and starve, mostly really useful sounds, I guess it sounds more muffy than fuzz facey.

Dishman
Jul 2, 2007
Slimy Bastard
So i'm trying to pin down a distortion sound, example being Sonny Sharrock - Once Upon a Time. My distortion/fuzz experience is pretty limited.

After Jones's drum intro, Sonny comes in on a melody with this low, kinda soft but really growly/GRAVELY distortion.

My guess is he's on humbuckers with the volume halved, but is it more likely a distortion than a fuzz? I know he had used a rat early on, then moved into digital/rack stuff in the later 80s. I've been thinking about getting a fuzz/distortion pedal with a bunch of knobs to dial in a particular sound (i.e. wave types and poo poo maybe?), might as well shoot for something that can grab this kind of sound while i'm feeling inspired.

Video for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NvSNc1XdHY

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I don't think it's humbuckers, maybe P90s in the neck?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Sounds a bit like a Rat, maybe with the tone on his LP rolled back some. I remember reading somewhere he'd been using a Mesa Mark IV around then, which would account for the rounder bottom end.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I'm shopping around for my first real jam worthy setup. I'm pretty decided on a Blues Jr for my amp so now I'm looking at effects.

Thinking a Fulltone OCD, an EHX Double Muff, and TC Electronic Flashback to start. How do you guys feel about those? Not sure what else I might want, maybe a chorus, phaser and wah.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

JD posted:

I'm shopping around for my first real jam worthy setup. I'm pretty decided on a Blues Jr for my amp so now I'm looking at effects.

Thinking a Fulltone OCD, an EHX Double Muff, and TC Electronic Flashback to start. How do you guys feel about those? Not sure what else I might want, maybe a chorus, phaser and wah.

Sounds pretty good already. Dirt and delay into tubes is about as barebone as I can get. What's your style? I've never played the double muff, does it sound like a bmp or is it an overdrive? I think modulation (I like phaser more than the alternatives) would be a good addition. Volume pedal can be cool aslo.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

woah multipost somehow sorry.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

field balm posted:

Sounds pretty good already. Dirt and delay into tubes is about as barebone as I can get. What's your style? I've never played the double muff, does it sound like a bmp or is it an overdrive? I think modulation (I like phaser more than the alternatives) would be a good addition. Volume pedal can be cool aslo.

Mostly dirty blues jam stuff, mostly Hendrix influenced. Thinking of writing some stuff for more of an Indie rock or alternative sound so I can focus on my vocals more.

I'm thinking the double muff could be redundant, it's an overdrive/fuzz and I want it more to dirty up the tone. Maybe a different fuzz pedal? I have a cheapy volume already, but a phaser does sound like a good choice for me.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

For Hendrix style, you'd want to go with an octave fuzz as opposed to the double muff, as well as a wah pedal to taste. Also, while the OCD is generally an awesome pedal to use on a variety of amps, you might want to compare it to a more affordable clean boost, which can be used to drive those tubes hard and get that compression and tone that the OCD, Screamers and other overdrives are trying to simulate. However, I suppose the OCD could also be used as a sort of boost, itself, or even cascade into the tubes for even more tonal options.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 5, 2013

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!

JD posted:

Mostly dirty blues jam stuff, mostly Hendrix influenced.

Since you're thinking about modulation, I'd say look into grabbing a rotovibe. Even though mine takes up a lot of room I always have it handy. Supposedly the older model (which is what I got used for $75 on cl) is warmer sounding than the current one.

Or, see if you can grab one of these on the cheap. The danelectro chicken salad vibrato. It's actually a real optical light driven univibe type thing in a cheap plastic housing. I think mine cost me 10 bucks new in 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_Kzj8bt1c

Modulation does wonderful things to a pushed tube amp

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

JD posted:

Mostly dirty blues jam stuff, mostly Hendrix influenced. Thinking of writing some stuff for more of an Indie rock or alternative sound so I can focus on my vocals more.

I'm thinking the double muff could be redundant, it's an overdrive/fuzz and I want it more to dirty up the tone. Maybe a different fuzz pedal? I have a cheapy volume already, but a phaser does sound like a good choice for me.

If you want to chase after Jimi's tone go for a fuzzface clone instead of the muff.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Jeff Goldblum posted:

For Hendrix style, you'd want to go with an octave fuzz as opposed to the double muff, as well as a wah pedal to taste. Also, while the OCD is generally an awesome pedal to use on a variety of amps, you might want to compare it to a more affordable clean boost, which can be used to drive those tubes hard and get that compression and tone that the OCD, Screamers and other overdrives are trying to simulate. However, I suppose the OCD could also be used as a sort of boost, itself, or even cascade into the tubes for even more tonal options.

Thanks, great ideas. I'm not really looking for Hendrix tone though, he's just my biggest influence in my playing style.

And yeah, I was thinking of the OCD as a boost, and a fuzz to really dirty up and bring out the lows. My buddy plays an OCD through his hughes & kettner 36watt and it sounds killer.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

JD posted:

Thanks, great ideas. I'm not really looking for Hendrix tone though, he's just my biggest influence in my playing style.

And yeah, I was thinking of the OCD as a boost, and a fuzz to really dirty up and bring out the lows. My buddy plays an OCD through his hughes & kettner 36watt and it sounds killer.

I know most purist will kill me over this but, Joyo makes a "vintage overdrive" that is a really good clone of the OCD and 1/5th the price.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Smash it Smash hit posted:

I know most purist will kill me over this but, Joyo makes a "vintage overdrive" that is a really good clone of the OCD and 1/5th the price.

I was about to post about this actually; I got the Joyo Ultimate Drive recently, and that's supposed to be the OCD clone. I haven't heard an actual OCD before, but this thing is fantastic if you want a nice fat, warm crunch and it's only 30 bucks, which is loving ridiculous.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

duckfarts posted:

I was about to post about this actually; I got the Joyo Ultimate Drive recently, and that's supposed to be the OCD clone. I haven't heard an actual OCD before, but this thing is fantastic if you want a nice fat, warm crunch and it's only 30 bucks, which is loving ridiculous.

That might be right, might have them confused. But, what most people say is that they are shoddy construction. But, it is steel and I imagine as long as you dont abuse the switch it will be fine. Like I said, purist hate them. But if you are considering buying a OCD, I would at least look into it.

To put it bluntly, if I was thinking about buying a OCD, I would buy the JOYO without thinking twice.

edit: Talking about this, and wanting a chorus pedal, I went ahead and bought the JOYO analog chorus.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 5, 2013

JD
Jan 11, 2003

I can only seem to find foreign reviews of it... Pedal sounds pretty nice though, I'll def try to hear it through my rig if I can, thanks.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

JD posted:

I can only seem to find foreign reviews of it... Pedal sounds pretty nice though, I'll def try to hear it through my rig if I can, thanks.

Check out this dude. Has literally $100,000s worth of equipment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je6CVLt_CSw

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I got my brother a JOYO Flanger for his birthday, never got a note out of it, had to send it back. It felt very cheap, though not as bad as a plastic Behringer.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 5, 2013

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

NonzeroCircle posted:

I got my brother a JOYO Flanger for his birthday, never got a note out of it, had to send it back. It felt very cheap, though not as bad as a plastic Behringer.

it's the same concept of epiphone/squier, they stay in business because out of every 10 there are a few that are very passable and when people hear those they buy into it.

I have looked into it alot and for the most part people like them once they get past the name on it.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Not quite effects chat, but I wanted to bring up rack discussion.
I recently acquired a pre-Fender SWR 350 bass amp that came in a 6U rack and it got me to thinking about how I was going to use that space. I could get a power conditioner or a rack tuner, but I wanted to use that space to cradle my few pedals: the VT bass (run into the preamp) and the EHX Clone Theory (run into the effects sidechain, mixed minimally). I've seen rack shelf units you can cram a pedalboard in, and while that would keep my work space nice and clean, I'd really like a unit that had them facing up, so I can adjust the knobs on the fly. Is there any such product that exists where I can fasten a pedal into the face of the rack?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Most people just put them in rack drawers/shelves, but you could do the bike chain trick and mount them to a perforated rack panel, or drill out a blank panel. I'd be worried about the pedals sticking out and banging them on stuff, but whatever floats your boat.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

You could also just use a blank panel and attach the pedals to the face of your rack with velcro. Or just put them on top of your rack I guess

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
What { hardware | software | signal processing components } can be used to create the vocal effects used in this performance?

Volcano Choir - Comrade (Live)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvp305B9FoQ

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

You could also just use a blank panel and attach the pedals to the face of your rack with velcro. Or just put them on top of your rack I guess

I would second this, you dont damage anything and really if you cover the whole bottom of a pedal with velcro, it is not going to go anywhere. You could put it sideways and carry it and they would stay attached. ( not recommended but, I have done it before )

Jam2 posted:

What { hardware | software | signal processing components } can be used to create the vocal effects used in this performance?

That sounds like a soft chromatic pitch correction (auto tuning) alot of companies make vocal pedals. I have the boss ve-20 and it can do that and then some, well alot more.

Smash it Smash hit fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 6, 2013

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
edit: double post.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Jam2 posted:

Sounds like pitch correction with a lower speed/threshold setting. They also seem to have the formant control set an octave up (except at the end, which sounds like an octave down.) Formant control is usually packaged with any worthwhile VST autotune/pitch correction effect. Add a touch of saturation and chorus too. There also may be a bit of plate reverb or space echo?

The effect 2/3 through sounds like a gated delay.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Gaspy Conana posted:

Sounds like pitch correction with a lower speed/threshold setting. They also seem to have the formant control set an octave up (except at the end, which sounds like an octave down.) Formant control is usually packaged with any worthwhile VST autotune/pitch correction effect. Add a touch of saturation and chorus too. There also may be a bit of plate reverb or space echo?

The effect 2/3 through sounds like a gated delay.

Wonderful.

If I want to record vocals and experiment with pitch correction in this way, should I simply look for a pro tools vst? I'll likely be recording with a condenser mic and mbox.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Jam2 posted:

Wonderful.

If I want to record vocals and experiment with pitch correction in this way, should I simply look for a pro tools vst? I'll likely be recording with a condenser mic and mbox.

Yeah, that's how most dudes I know do it. Here's a free FX bundle with a pitch correction VST included: http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/product.php?id=MFreeEffectsBundle

It isn't the best, but it works and can do crazy formant stuff.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

NonzeroCircle posted:

though not as bad as a plastic Behringer.

These aren't as bad as some people say. I have several I've depended on for a few years and I've never had an issue. I will say they don't feel as great as some pedals, but just like the Danelectro line, don't jump on them from 5' above and they'll last a good while.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
So my 10 year old TS9 died, I think, yesterday, and I've got a gig tomorrow.

It does the strangest thing. It lights up when stomped, but there's no discernible change in the sound when its on. Tried powering it through the battery and through the adapter. Anybody ever have this problem?

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

juche mane posted:

It does the strangest thing. It lights up when stomped, but there's no discernible change in the sound when its on. Tried powering it through the battery and through the adapter. Anybody ever have this problem?

Open it up and post a hi res picture of the guts. It might be something obvious like a broken solder that someone could spot right away.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
It's already opened, I'll post one when I get home. Awesome.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

juche mane posted:

this happened to my delay pedal, chances are its the chip that died. a break in the solder usually ends up in weird noises or total failure.

sorry, rip

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

this happened to my delay pedal, chances are its the chip that died. a break in the solder usually ends up in weird noises or total failure.

sorry, rip

Most likely you're right, but sometimes you just gotta believe. I have had bad home build projects that passed sound even with broken connections and the like that as far as I could tell shouldn't have been. I am not sure what kind of bypass his TS would have had either, and how that would play into his problem.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Broken solder at one of the lugs on the gain pot :) all fixed

Rascuachex
Jan 19, 2012
I am looking for some new guitar pickups. I know this is the effect and chain recommendation thread, but this seemed as good a place as any to ask for some advice. I am looking for some new pickups for my american made strat. Currently I have the tex mex pickups installed in my strat (it is all stock at the moment). To me these pickups sound a little too "brittle" and are not really cutting it for me. I am looking for something that is a little bit more beefy, but still retains the fender sound. I prefer not to go with humbuckers, I do really like soapbar style pickups, but I don't think I could drop soapbars in my guitar without doing some routing work. Really I think the best option would be to stick with single coil pickups. I love the sound of jazzmasters, as well as the neck pickup on telecasters. Also I am looking to replace 2 of the pickups in my guitar, which would be the neck and bridge pickups. I like to typically play shoegaze/surf/post punk/indie styles of music. I really like guitar tones similar to Built to Spill, The National, Pavement, Modest Mouse, Johnny Marr, My Bloody Valentine, Deerhunter to name a few. If anyone could help to recommend me a neck and a bridge pickup I would really appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Edit: My stratocaster has HSS routing in the body, so I could drop a humbucker sized pickup in the bridge if recommended. I prefer to not use humbucking or noise cancelling pickups though.

Rascuachex fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 19, 2013

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

juche mane posted:

Broken solder at one of the lugs on the gain pot :) all fixed

great news! ts are awesome pedals

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Rascuachex posted:

I am looking for some new guitar pickups. I know this is the effect and chain recommendation thread, but this seemed as good a place as any to ask for some advice. I am looking for some new pickups for my american made strat. Currently I have the tex mex pickups installed in my strat (it is all stock at the moment). To me these pickups sound a little too "brittle" and are not really cutting it for me. I am looking for something that is a little bit more beefy, but still retains the fender sound. I prefer not to go with humbuckers, I do really like soapbar style pickups, but I don't think I could drop soapbars in my guitar without doing some routing work. Really I think the best option would be to stick with single coil pickups. I love the sound of jazzmasters, as well as the neck pickup on telecasters. Also I am looking to replace 2 of the pickups in my guitar, which would be the neck and bridge pickups. I like to typically play shoegaze/surf/post punk/indie styles of music. I really like guitar tones similar to Built to Spill, The National, Pavement, Modest Mouse, Johnny Marr, My Bloody Valentine, Deerhunter to name a few. If anyone could help to recommend me a neck and a bridge pickup I would really appreciate it. Thanks everyone!

Edit: My stratocaster has HSS routing in the body, so I could drop a humbucker sized pickup in the bridge if recommended. I prefer to not use humbucking or noise cancelling pickups though.

It depends on how much you want to spend. If you want beefy but still single coil, I recommend any sort of single coils with larger pole pieces, like Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders. GFS greybottom overwounds might also do the trick. If you really want a soapbar type sound you could spend :10bux: on some Rio Grande Dirty Harry pickups, or DiMarzio SDS-1/FS-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I was thinking greybottoms, but I wasn't going to be the first to say it.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/60s-70s-Grey-Bottom-Non-Stagger-Texas-Strat-Set-SurfBlues-Power_p_49.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/60s-70s-Grey-Bottom-Non-Stagger-Strat-Set-More-Power-More-Tone_p_48.html
http://www.guitarfetish.com/60s-70s-Grey-Bottom-Non-Stagger-Overwound-Strat-Set-MAX-Power_p_47.html

And so I went looking for Greybottoms and look what I found is new on guitarfetish.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Lefty-Parts_c_437.html
LEFTY PARTS!