Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
So, this thread was exceedingly helpful in several aspects of my information gathering for my trip to Shanghai. Now that I have been here for a couple of days and have attended two separate dinners in my honor (I have no idea why they think I'm important), I feel I was denied some critical, need-to-know information:

Baijiu will gently caress your world right up.

upThanks, thread. :rolleyes:

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Smeef posted:

I'm down for rabbit head on Friday night.

Just checking in to say that I am also down for poor, sweet little bunny heads or whatever else on Friday.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Caberham's face turns red when he eats hot pot. It doesn't turn red when he eats the other things.

Are hero.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Edit: this isn't the CHina thread, poo poo.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Mackieman posted:

I feel I was denied some critical, need-to-know information:

Glad you are enjoying Shanghai.

Will you be around next week? It's major super duper eastern China goon week.let's go all out!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mackieman posted:

So, this thread was exceedingly helpful in several aspects of my information gathering for my trip to Shanghai. Now that I have been here for a couple of days and have attended two separate dinners in my honor (I have no idea why they think I'm important), I feel I was denied some critical, need-to-know information:

It says 53% alcohol by volume on the label. That alone speaks louder than any goon story.

EDIT: You're a strange and curious animal, a foreigner. It's like having Spider-Man come to your birthday party when you're 5 for most Chinese people.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 6, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Mackieman posted:

:ssh: that's our little secret that we leave out for unsuspecting FOBs in China.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

EDIT: You're a strange and curious animal, a foreigner. It's like having Spider-Man come to your birthday party when you're 5 for most Chinese people.

But also on a real note, I feel like Chinese are way more accommodating to visiting foreigners, especially on business. I feel like my company treats our Chinese colleagues like a burden at best, whereas my colleagues speak of being treated to many good experiences while in China.

It's baffling to me, so I try to show our Chinese colleagues a good time while they're in town. At least take 'em out for a decent meal and such.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 6, 2013

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Still contemplating it, but I don't really want to spend up to £2,000 to go back into education, plus I don't really have that much to spare on something that feels like I'm basically choosing a swimming pool at random to jump into blind folded.

We're still looking at visas as the embassy websites aren't 100% clear.

EDIT: sigh, I can only find chengdu and Sichuan universities that do Chinese tuition, is there anywhere else I've missed out?

Southwest Minorities School, Southwest Finance School, probably others. The prices are all about the same.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Has anyone here bought tickets from 247tickets.cn ?

I want to buy tickets for the Avicii concert on Nov 29th, trying to figure out where I'll pick them up.

http://www.247tickets.cn/tickets/avicii

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

xenilk posted:

Has anyone here bought tickets from 247tickets.cn ?

I want to buy tickets for the Avicii concert on Nov 29th, trying to figure out where I'll pick them up.

http://www.247tickets.cn/tickets/avicii

The website you just linked says:

quote:

"***********THE PROMOTER HAS SAID THAT THESE TICKETS WILL NOW BE AVAILABLE FROM MID NOVEMBER. WE WILL BE DISTRIBUTING THE TICKETS AFTER. WE WILL CONTACT YOU TO ARRANGE PICKUP OR DELIVERY ONCE THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED.*******

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Magna Kaser posted:

Southwest Minorities School, Southwest Finance School, probably others. The prices are all about the same.

Thanks man, I had a look at Southwest Minorities School (or as it calls itself "Southwest University for Nationalities") and it's prices for a year seem much more reasonable than Sichuan University at 6000 RMB per semester with around 12-16 hrs per week, which is pretty good I guess and the course starts in March which would give me a month to settle in.

My girlfriend is gonna get her mum to call them and find out more info and how I can apply but this seems like the longest and cheapest option thanks for suggesting it.

EDIT: Any ideas how much a student visa costs or is it classed as 12 month Multiple entry one? gosh! They sure do make getting into China hard.

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 6, 2013

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

SB35 posted:

The website you just linked says:

Sorry I think I wasn't clear, I'm trying to see if someone from here ordered tickets through them before... and also curious as far as counterfeit tickets in China?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Thanks man, I had a look at Southwest Minorities School (or as it calls itself "Southwest University for Nationalities") and it's prices for a year seem much more reasonable than Sichuan University at 6000 RMB per semester with around 12-16 hrs per week, which is pretty good I guess and the course starts in March which would give me a month to settle in.

My girlfriend is gonna get her mum to call them and find out more info and how I can apply but this seems like the longest and cheapest option thanks for suggesting it.

EDIT: Any ideas how much a student visa costs or is it classed as 12 month Multiple entry one? gosh! They sure do make getting into China hard.
I think when you get here and start classes they'll switch your student visa to a residence permit, which is multiple entry.

The Nationalities University is the one people go through to get a student visa just to gain entry to China and then never attend class. So I'd guess it has the easiest process.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
Southwest Universities for Nationalities will give you a student Visa. You'll want to get the year long Visa because that one is actually one year long. If you sign up for just one semester you're going to end up with something more like a 4 month Visa and you're going to be forced to exit China, get a new Tourist Visa, and then start all over if you stay any longer. It's also really fun to stay in the dormitory there because there are Koreans, British, Americans, Yodas, Australians and a few other nationalities hanging around so you have quite an interesting time. SW University will give you a book that has addresses for where to get health check and where to notify the police that you are staying in Chengdu. They give you all the paperwork.

They take about two weeks to process your Visa so make sure you have plenty of time left on your tourist Visa if you enter China on it.

That place was great for me. I had lived here on a purchased business visa for a year while working at a private school and without warning the business Visas became nearly impossible to get and I had to move quickly. I went in, gave them the money and they gave me books and a class schedule. I got a really well done Chinese language course out of it and a year long Visa that gave me a chance to get a proper job.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Crossposting for ~serious business~ because I want people to see this.

Real advice time, and this time it's not about me or about my dumb job. We have a student who was pulled out of our program because her family didn't want to pay and because some cousins had a bad experience (probably failed out) of American universities. The thing is she's a top student, like #2 in her class, and she's back for a visit and talking about how miserable she is in Chinese high school and how she wants to come back to our program and go to an American university. I have no doubt that if she graduated from our program she would be accepted to a number of good American colleges, maybe with generous scholarships.

Her English is really good, her attitude is really good, her grades were almost perfect, she's one of those students for whom I would write a glowing college recommendation letter. She was one of the students selected for a trip abroad last year because of her English ability. She says that if it didn't cost anything she could continue here at our college prep program. A coworker suggested trying to get sponsorship for a scholarship at our program. We're all trying to think of ways to help her out.

Do you guys have any ideas?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

:waycool: CHENGDU FOOD STUFF GOON EATING MEETING :waycool:

WHEN?
Tomorrow. 6? 7?

WHAT?
Eating 干锅 Gan guo (Dry pot??). Maybe a rabbit head or two.

WHERE?
Southside is probably the easiest to meet. I don't know any gan guo places in the south. We could meet somewhere easy (Jiuyanqiao or Chuanda?) then move on from there. Because there are a million gan guo places all over.

Unless one of you Southies has a suggestion. Or you could brave passing Tianfu Square and try some northside food :getin:

WHY???
The death of the #1-China-Goon-Crew-That-Is-Better-Than-The-Lame-Hong-Kong-Crew draws near.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Real advice time, and this time it's not about me or about my dumb job. We have a student who was pulled out of our program because her family didn't want to pay and because some cousins had a bad experience (probably failed out) of American universities. The thing is she's a top student, like #2 in her class, and she's back for a visit and talking about how miserable she is in Chinese high school and how she wants to come back to our program and go to an American university. I have no doubt that if she graduated from our program she would be accepted to a number of good American colleges, maybe with generous scholarships.

Her English is really good, her attitude is really good, her grades were almost perfect, she's one of those students for whom I would write a glowing college recommendation letter. She was one of the students selected for a trip abroad last year because of her English ability. She says that if it didn't cost anything she could continue here at our college prep program. A coworker suggested trying to get sponsorship for a scholarship at our program. We're all trying to think of ways to help her out.

Let me talk to MY GIRLFRIEND, she got a bunch of scholarships back in Chengdu, she might be able to give some advice.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

WHY???
The death of the #1-China-Goon-Crew-That-Is-Better-Than-The-Lame-Hong-Kong-Crew draws near.

:science: The death of the #1-China-Goon-Crew-That-Is-Better-Than-The-Lame-Hong-Kong-Crew-That-Itself-Is-Soon-To-Be-Overshadowed-By-The-Shanghai-Crew draws near.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Arglebargle III posted:

Are her parents willing to hear out the new ideas? It doesn't sound like money is an issue for them but rather whether there is a real future in paying so much for her to continue.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

:science: The death of the #1-China-Goon-Crew-That-Is-Better-Than-The-Lame-Hong-Kong-Crew-That-Itself-Is-Soon-To-Be-Overshadowed-By-The-Shanghai-Crew draws near.

well obviously

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ba can we meet up and talk about video games and emails and video games about emails? I have a great concept kicking around it's like papers, please but you have to get 25k subscribers to your corporate mailing list in a dystopian future or your family will go hungry. Also if the click rate is less than 25% they cut off a toe.

i plan on making it entirely out of sonic the hedgehog sprites

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Magna Kaser posted:

ba can we meet up and talk about video games and emails and video games about emails? I have a great concept kicking around it's like papers, please but you have to get 25k subscribers to your corporate mailing list in a dystopian future or your family will go hungry. Also if the click rate is less than 25% they cut off a toe.

:ducksiren::shepspends::ducksiren:

Also here's a ridiculously good deal that gives the proceeds to charity (if you slide the meter that way) and can be had for as low as $5: https://www.humblebundle.com/

I assume most goons have heard of the Humble Bundle, but just in case...

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Sure I can do all of these things, and I know this hedgehog and even some of his companions so sure lets do this thing. Also does the toenail have polish on it and is it because of a carpet hunting minigame that is an adventure game with more content than the actual video game emailing main game?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BadAstronaut posted:

Sure I can do all of these things, and I know this hedgehog and even some of his companions so sure lets do this thing. Also does the toenail have polish on it and is it because of a carpet hunting minigame that is an adventure game with more content than the actual video game emailing main game?

no its really just a bunch of IAPs

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

toenail IAP then we are on.

Stop LANning up this thread man.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

Ya, because I'll be in Shanghai for like a week in January, duh.

Beenine
Aug 9, 2013
I'll be in Hong Kong this weekend, whats a good place to get a steak(not Outback) and a few beers?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Hahahahaha "not Outback".

The best places for steak are as follows, all in TST:
Steik World Meats
The Intercontinental
BLT Steak
Morton's
Ruth's Chris

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001

Tom Smykowski posted:

:waycool: CHENGDU FOOD STUFF GOON EATING MEETING :waycool:

WHEN?
Tomorrow. 6? 7?

WHAT?
Eating 干锅 Gan guo (Dry pot??). Maybe a rabbit head or two.

WHERE?
Southside is probably the easiest to meet. I don't know any gan guo places in the south. We could meet somewhere easy (Jiuyanqiao or Chuanda?) then move on from there. Because there are a million gan guo places all over.

Unless one of you Southies has a suggestion. Or you could brave passing Tianfu Square and try some northside food :getin:

WHY???

I'm down for this or even somewhere IN THE NORTH.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I know some places that are a couple blocks away from the Luomashi 骡马市 stop on line 1 only stop north of Tianfu. Across the street from New City Plaza 新城市广场 there are a ton of gan guo places and general Chengdu eating-drinkin restaurants. One of the places even has a tomato beef dish that tastes like tomato soup, it's awesome.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

NINE EYES BRIDGE (spooky) is good for me. North side wouldn't be terrible commute-wise but the pollution won't be good.

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
All of those sound good. I have no idea which places have good gan guo, so someone with a clue can choose where or what area.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Bloodnose posted:

Hahahahaha "not Outback".

The best places for steak are as follows, all in TST:
Steik World Meats
The Intercontinental
BLT Steak
Morton's
Ruth's Chris

You can also try Hugo's by the Hyatt in tsim sha tsui. Across the island craft, Louis (old school fancy hk style usda choice), il carno, and a whole bunch. Honorable mention goes to wooloomoo. Odd one out candidate, robouchon wagyu.

My recommendation is intercontinental STEAK house. You can choose 24 kinds of mustards, 6 kinds of steak knives. Even the salad is heavenly.

Verlay
Aug 5, 2010
Has anyone here gotten onboard with the CSC scholarship? My uni (an art school) just got in cahoots with the local embassy to offer the program and I'm a bit curious if anyones got on the scholarship and studied something besides Chinese. From what I understand I have to take a year (or two) of language courses if my intentions to study some fine oil painting at the Central Academy of Fine Arts.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

You can choose 24 kinds of mustards, 6 kinds of steak knives.
Steik has way more knives but the same amount or maybe less of mustards.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Verlay posted:

Has anyone here gotten onboard with the CSC scholarship? My uni (an art school) just got in cahoots with the local embassy to offer the program and I'm a bit curious if anyones got on the scholarship and studied something besides Chinese. From what I understand I have to take a year (or two) of language courses if my intentions to study some fine oil painting at the Central Academy of Fine Arts.

I did, and another guy from my same program actually got in an art program at the Central Academy of Fine Arts on it. There's a language requirement, but it's purely based on your actual language ability and not a certain amount of classes taken or credits or anything. It's HSK 4 for undergrad and 5 or 6 for grad, but it's all very loose and if you get good enough recommendation letters you can skip that.

If you can't speak any Chinese the classes would probably be pretty rough, though.

Verlay
Aug 5, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

I did, and another guy from my same program actually got in an art program at the Central Academy of Fine Arts on it. There's a language requirement, but it's purely based on your actual language ability and not a certain amount of classes taken or credits or anything. It's HSK 4 for undergrad and 5 or 6 for grad, but it's all very loose and if you get good enough recommendation letters you can skip that.

If you can't speak any Chinese the classes would probably be pretty rough, though.

Thanks! Do you know if it's possible for to study Chinese for a year at a Language university and then take courses at CAFA. The CSC site states "students who do not meet the language proficiency requirement for the major study shall take 1-2 years’ Chinese language classes before they start the major program" and "students with no prior knowledge of Chinese language shall take 1 year foundation courses at the assigned universities." I'm not sure if that means "study Chinese on your own time" or "we're going to make you learn Chinese here".

Verlay fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 7, 2013

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

ZombieParts posted:

Southwest Universities for Nationalities will give you a student Visa. You'll want to get the year long Visa because that one is actually one year long. If you sign up for just one semester you're going to end up with something more like a 4 month Visa and you're going to be forced to exit China, get a new Tourist Visa, and then start all over if you stay any longer. It's also really fun to stay in the dormitory there because there are Koreans, British, Americans, Yodas, Australians and a few other nationalities hanging around so you have quite an interesting time. SW University will give you a book that has addresses for where to get health check and where to notify the police that you are staying in Chengdu. They give you all the paperwork.

They take about two weeks to process your Visa so make sure you have plenty of time left on your tourist Visa if you enter China on it.

That place was great for me. I had lived here on a purchased business visa for a year while working at a private school and without warning the business Visas became nearly impossible to get and I had to move quickly. I went in, gave them the money and they gave me books and a class schedule. I got a really well done Chinese language course out of it and a year long Visa that gave me a chance to get a proper job.

Thanks, so do I have to choose the year long course then?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Verlay posted:

Thanks! Do you know if it's possible for to study Chinese for a year at a Language university and then take courses at CAFA. The CSC site states "students who do not meet the language proficiency requirement for the major study shall take 1-2 years’ Chinese language classes before they start the major program" and "students with no prior knowledge of Chinese language shall take 1 year foundation courses at the assigned universities." I'm not sure if that means "study Chinese on your own time" or "we're going to make you learn Chinese here".

I'm not sure either. I'll ask some other people I know on the CSC.

One last thing is for some reason art schools are crazy competitive for the CSC. I don't know if it's because they get less money or just a huge number of foreigners want to study this stuff in China, but of people in my program who wanted to study art/music/film most didn't make it in to their top choices whereas pretty much everyone who applied for stuff like business, finance and law got in to Tsinghua/BeiDa/Fudan/etc... You art background will probably help, but it might be good to think of another school you'd like to get in to as well. I'm told knowing a prof or getting a letter from one from the school you want to get in to is pretty drat good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Thanks, so do I have to choose the year long course then?

That's all up to you and how long you want to stay. You can choose one semester or two. I'm super biased towards two semester visas because most people that visit really like it. I've only seen one or two people just go "gently caress this, I can't wait to get home" and if you like it here, one semester isn't going to feel very long. You can extend of course but you have to process Visa stuff a second time which is a headache.

Verlay posted:

That sounds like "We're going to make you learn Chinese here." So they're geared for foreigners which means it's probably a pretty fun school.

ZombieParts fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 8, 2013