Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
Oh my loving god it's just doing it function by function I cannot even step through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm the operator that only exists to trip up language newbies & people who miss a character when typing

it's me

yeah backwards compatibility is a bitch, same w/ the thing under my av

it's unpleasant and should be better, but isn't really a big deal in practice. hell jshint even yells at you by default if you use == instead of === any time it could matter

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Oh my loving god it's just doing it function by function I cannot even step through.

hell is other people('s code)

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I understand now :qq:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
this is some frontend meltdown over here

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I really really wanna be a back end programmer again.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

hepatizon posted:

dependency resolution is always deterministic. dependency configuration -- which Gemfile.lock handles -- is not deterministic. that's why you check it in, because it's a config file. when people talk about "generating" Gemfile.lock, they mean auto-configuring a new application

i think we're not speaking quite the same language. when i make a pom, i put my dependencies and their versions in there. when maven reads the pom it resolves my transitive dependencies including (possibly) version conflicts. the result is a dependency graph of artifacts and their resolved versions. this is a deterministic process.

bundler must have some equivalent mechanism, and I ask: how can this reasonably be non-deterministic

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

2banks1swap.avi posted:

I really really wanna be a back end programmer again.

do you know java and want to live in nova maybe u can get me a referral bonus

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Nomnom Cookie posted:

do you know java and want to live in nova maybe u can get me a referral bonus

I'm doing .NET right now and got into it because I did Java so yes I do

:q:

Can you wait a few days? I hired that Resume writer duder but didn't pay to have it done extra fast so it'll be done like friday/next monday.

Also how close to DC are we talking.

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm the operator that only exists to trip up language newbies & people who miss a character when typing

it's me

no you are actually the operator that exists so people don't have to write a bunch of dumb boilerplate code. you save everyone tons of time and make code prettier and neurotypicals love you.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

i'm sorry shaggar

thanks. it will be rough but I think i'll be able to make it.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

2banks1swap.avi posted:

why the do people think making the part of a code that a person clicks and looks at is the worst thing ever

for my part it's 2 things:

i have zero eye for design so i feel like one of those painting elephants anytime i have to make ~*pixels*~ dance. incidentally the only devs i've known that like ui also have a strong design aesthetic.

in my experience ui dev more than any other domain seems to have more than its fair share of hacky (or at least unusual and specific) idioms. i think there's something deep about graphics-based user interaction that maps badly to our mental models of computation resulting in every ui framework being some weird sideways thing that doesn't really behave like anything else in programming. maybe it's just me but it always feels like i'm fighting between how to make the ui do a thing vs how i think the ui should do a thing.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I just don't like how every browser does CSS different, callbacks in general (why use these???) and such. Throw in debugging JS being a pain in the rear end and you have a nice little party of poo poo and failure.

Events make enough sense. It's just a loop abstracted away and "if this is true execute more poo poo lol."

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Why are callbacks so loving popular anyway.

What's wrong with regular events.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
callbacks go great with exceptions! boy that stack trace sure is meaningful

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
oddly enough web ui has been both the most and least nicest ui tech ive used in that html and js are both fine and work well together and css is literally the sloppiest thing ever done with computers

"hmm yes keep style and structure separate"
*sacrifices 6 divs just to make the box model happy*
"why won't this column just loving float???"

css is just *just* reaching the point that js reached 5 years ago where frameworks are abstracting away all the poo poo work but you still have to go poking your dick in the markup too often just to make the style engine do its goddamn job

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Nov 6, 2013

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
js is not fine and a new js framework comes out every month and they are all poo poo

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

Nap Ghost
jquery just works don't download fad frameworks every week i guess

(also avoid most jquery plugins)

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
css is permanently hosed cause print design nerds made it

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

JewKiller 3000 posted:

callbacks go great with exceptions! boy that stack trace sure is meaningful

fun fact: promise error handling is a loving nightmare if you go in blind

.then seems like an intuitive api but oh man they are fraught with terror (i know everyone immediately tl;drs at a blog post link in yospos but if you do read that make sure to read the first comment below too)

spent a ton of time this morning debugging a horrifying sinon+backbone+q.js issue that kept silently failing because i put in a success handler on .done() but not an error handler :negative:

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i think we're not speaking quite the same language. when i make a pom, i put my dependencies and their versions in there. when maven reads the pom it resolves my transitive dependencies including (possibly) version conflicts. the result is a dependency graph of artifacts and their resolved versions. this is a deterministic process.

bundler must have some equivalent mechanism, and I ask: how can this reasonably be non-deterministic

pom = Gemfile.lock. the non-deterministic part is creating the file since you can pick arbitrary version numbers. that's why you have to check them both in

hepatizon posted:

when i think of a build artifact, i think of something that is generated determinstically. Gemfile.lock is not generated deterministically

hepatizon fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 6, 2013

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

2banks1swap.avi posted:

why the do people think making the part of a code that a person clicks and looks at is the worst thing ever

because the tooling and frameworks are terrible? because, unlike say other programming, it isn't influenced by algorithm choice, data structures, but almost entirely dominated by workarounds, hacks, polyfills, and boilerplate.

because the asset pipeline, because css frameworks, css preprocessors, because cross browser behaviour, because every junior programmer who has come along has written a series of regular expressions to avoid writing a few extra lines of code, and because of the constant facile separation of code which is mvc.

because good ux is hard work, and most of the tools are riddled with assumptions you have to circumvent

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Tiny Bug Child posted:

css is permanently hosed cause print design nerds made it

nah, css wasn't made by print nerds, what happened is that browser vendors didn't want to implement it. it took many many years for CSS2 to take off

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

2banks1swap.avi posted:

bc ui are a mix of code and artwork and there's no good solution around to properly separate the two especially if there's a big emphasis on aesthetics

in vidya games the industry standard is to use flash for the ui

just imagine having to interface with action script code made by artists

its an absolute mess bc they have zero notion of software engineering as it is outside of their qualifications and yet you do want them to have full control of the action script side of things bc they need to have detailed control on the behavior and animations of everything and it would be hell if they needed to go through programmers to tweak anything

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

tef posted:

because the tooling and frameworks are terrible? because, unlike say other programming, it isn't influenced by algorithm choice, data structures, but almost entirely dominated by workarounds, hacks, polyfills, and boilerplate.

because the asset pipeline, because css frameworks, css preprocessors, because cross browser behaviour, because every junior programmer who has come along has written a series of regular expressions to avoid writing a few extra lines of code, and because of the constant facile separation of code which is mvc.

because good ux is hard work, and most of the tools are riddled with assumptions you have to circumvent

ok, but other than that

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

minidracula posted:

I'm actually using only a little vendor packaging, but outside of that virtualenv + pip has more or less worked for me so far. This is on both Windows and Linux.

When you say vendor package systems, do you mean Python vendor, or OS vendor? Or both? I guess I'm using both; ActiveState's PyPM on Windows, and apt-get on Ubuntu for minimal stuff. Then I just pip install stuff in virtualenvs. I'm still waiting to get seriously bitten.

i've generally used OS vendor packages, and if i have to use a library, i will either fold it in to the repo, or ensure there are pre-built packages available i don't have to maintain

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

tef posted:

you should have kept going here; i started to hear "lust for life" playing in the background as you ran through the streets of edinburgh

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Rust developers express their 64-bit privilege the only way they know how: https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/rust-dev/2013-November/006314.html

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

tef posted:

i've generally used OS vendor packages, and if i have to use a library, i will either fold it in to the repo, or ensure there are pre-built packages available i don't have to maintain

this is the only sane method of python deployment

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

and its doubly annoying because most of the development problems were solved by Microsoft in wpf but people are idiots and want to try to make ui work on the browser instead. eventually html will be replaced w/ a xaml-like and javascript will be replaced w/ language agnostic bytecode and everything will be good.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shaggar posted:

and its doubly annoying because most of the development problems were solved by Microsoft in wpf but people are idiots and want to try to make ui work on the browser instead. eventually html will be replaced w/ a xaml-like and javascript will be replaced w/ language agnostic bytecode and everything will be good.

keep going, almost there

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
web "languages" are all terrible and as bad as p-langs because they are used and promoted by the same community: hobbyists who want to re-solve the problem every time.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

img-shaggar-was-right.gif

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I fully remember in the mid-2000s when I was doing actual web dev work, the word was 'package all that poo poo server-side' because the bottlenecks were always a) the DB and b) the network. The idea was to make pages load as fast as possible to get better results because any other optimization was worthless.

Somehow JS devs made it go the entire opposite way and now it's "make as many loving calls as possible", "render poo poo on the front-end" and probably flies in the way of doing it properly because Ruby-on-Rails masters found out that their framework was a huge god drat behemoth that managed to be the bottleneck of the entire stack when PHP, Perl, or Python and their collective frameworks were never the problem on their own end.

Somehow, Ruby on Rails and node.js guys (well, RoR guys now doing JS) decided to turn this around and saw huge benefits, which was probably related to removing the workload from a dog-slow framework with a bad server in front of it, I guess?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
no. if i'm amazon, either i render an entire page on the server for every link with all of the header and footer and navigation junk, or i send you over the raw data for the part of the page that changed, and you apply the view logic yourself. there's less data in the latter case, and it's faster to the user since the navigation won't blank out while their new page loads.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Shaggar posted:

eventually html will be replaced w/ a xaml-like and javascript will be replaced w/ language agnostic bytecode and everything will be good.

and they'll be implemented on top of html5 canvases and asm.js

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah of course they will. what was I thinking. it cant actually work if its on the web and universal bytecode makes way too much sense.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
but what universal bytecode will you pick

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
there is literally no such thing as a "universal bytecode". every bytecode platform makes tradeoffs related to its language design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
java or cli bytecode.