Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Space Pussy posted:

Raiding should be available to everyone, at the very least, vs your religious enemies. Raids were pretty much 95% of the warfare going on during the time period.

Valid point. Still, I hate the whole thought process that goes "Hey, Religion X has a cool unique feature. Religion Y should have it too!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
First time doing the Norse beginning start and it's 950 AD and the Frankish empire owns most of the known world, this ever happen to you guys?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Mailer posted:

Is there a way to game inheritable traits? I can't seem to get mom's incredible mind on to the kids. It's may just be that I suck at dice rolls but if it's 50/50 the odds would be with me.

It's 15% to pass down traits like Genius to your kids, but you can mod that by making some edits to the CK2/common/traits text file

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

WYA posted:

First time doing the Norse beginning start and it's 950 AD and the Frankish empire owns most of the known world, this ever happen to you guys?

It's not uncommon. A bunch of biggest Christian kingdoms of Europe as of 867 were ruled by Charlemagne's grandchildren, known as Karlings in CK2. A few untimely deaths, and one of them could end up with two or three kingdom titles and perhaps steamroll from there.

Large AI empires don't tend to last very long, though.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

WYA posted:

Yup, it's happened in my custom dynasty game. Where, I'd like to note, I brought the House of Kuepfer from lowly counts of Innsbruck to the Kingdom of Bavaria on the eve of the Second Millenium, deposing a Karling king in the process. By military force. :black101:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

WYA posted:

A couple years ago I could create a titular kingdom title (Kingdom of York) but I cant anymore now, what gives? Dont know what changed :(

Can you use the title search button on the bottom right to find it? Just type "York" and click on it to open the title screen. Then you should be able to hover over create and see what the requirements are.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DStecks posted:

Valid point. Still, I hate the whole thought process that goes "Hey, Religion X has a cool unique feature. Religion Y should have it too!"

Well they're Abrahamic religions so it's natural they'd share some similarities. Like...the holy land?

Besides Catholicism needed a boost, it was boring by comparison and the college of cardinals rather than random pope from nowhere sounds awesome.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Any good tips on how to make my female ruler have some drat kids already?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Marry someone lustful. How old is she? I think there's a raw cutoff at 40.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well they're Abrahamic religions so it's natural they'd share some similarities. Like...the holy land?

Besides Catholicism needed a boost, it was boring by comparison and the college of cardinals rather than random pope from nowhere sounds awesome.

Orthodox is in largest need of work I feel. They're the only religion that has no crusade analogue.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

WYA posted:

A couple years ago I could create a titular kingdom title (Kingdom of York) but I cant anymore now, what gives? Dont know what changed :(

Captain Beans posted:

Can you use the title search button on the bottom right to find it? Just type "York" and click on it to open the title screen. Then you should be able to hover over create and see what the requirements are.

York is only a duchy-level title in the base game, so using the Find Title search won't help because the kingdom-level title isn't in the game. You were probably running CK2+ (or, more specifically, the flavourful titular titles module) which creates higher-level titles for every duchy in the game. You'll either need to grab CK2+ or use this thing to make them manually in a standalone mod.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

WYA posted:

Any good tips on how to make my female ruler have some drat kids already?

If you are playing CK2+ you can start a plot to seduce someone.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Marry someone lustful. How old is she? I think there's a raw cutoff at 40.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

She ain't having any kids.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Piell posted:

She ain't having any kids.

Clanpot Shake isn't the question asker, that's someone responding and saying when the cutoff is.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Oh yeah sorry that wasn't clear. I'm almost positive the absolute cutoff is 45, but anything after 40 is a losing gamble.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

Then boost it by coming up with a new feature. Here's one: offer confession to your court chaplain to gain piety at the risk of having your plot exposed. Or do something with the inquisition. Or incorporate sainthood. There are dozens of ways to add interesting features to religions without decreasing variety.

Soviet_Russia posted:

Orthodox is in largest need of work I feel. They're the only religion that has no crusade analogue.

Orthodox should have a defensive analogue for crusades, instead of an aggressive one. Interesting new feature + historical precedence + not reducing variety.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

Then boost it by coming up with a new feature. Here's one: offer confession to your court chaplain to gain piety at the risk of having your plot exposed. Or do something with the inquisition. Or incorporate sainthood. There are dozens of ways to add interesting features to religions without decreasing variety.

It's one small unique feature amongst many, and it is appropriate that it be shared. Do you also have a problem with Muslims and Christians both being able to hold tournaments?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Yeah, it is not like pilgrimages where a huge business in the Christian world or that the Crusades were partly kicked off because the Seljuks kicked the Christian pilgrims out of the Holy Land (while the Fatimids which had ruled over Jerusalem previously had no problem with what was essentially very profitable tourism). These things must have been some alternate history stuff, how dare Paradox include these features for Christians.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DStecks posted:

Orthodox should have a defensive analogue for crusades, instead of an aggressive one. Interesting new feature + historical precedence + not reducing variety.

I actually think the Crusades should be a largely Catholic thing, with some Jihads. I think pagan Great Holy Wars are a little too powerful when player directed. Of course, the Papal Controller will no be able to direct/call/influence Crusades somehow, so that will be a nice boost to Catholics, but I would like to see player Pagan Great Holy Wars nerfed a bit more. Not sure about Orthodox, but I do wish Crusades/Jihads 'Take the WHOLE COUNTRY' wars had stayed a Catholic/Muslim thing.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, it is not like pilgrimages where a huge business in the Christian world or that the Crusades were partly kicked off because the Seljuks kicked the Christian pilgrims out of the Holy Land (while the Fatimids which had ruled over Jerusalem previously had no problem with what was essentially very profitable tourism). These things must have been some alternate history stuff, how dare Paradox include these features for Christians.

Way to completely miss my point. It isn't about historical accuracy, it's about keeping different characters interestingly different to play as.

fool_of_sound posted:

It's one small unique feature amongst many, and it is appropriate that it be shared. Do you also have a problem with Muslims and Christians both being able to hold tournaments?

No, because tournaments are something Catholics had to begin with, whereas the Hajj is one of the things that makes Muslims unique. Giving Catholics an exact analogue makes Muslims that much less interesting to play.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Character events are like the best part about the game and the Hajj was really cool the additon of more should be encouraged not hated for frankly really dumb reasons. I mean I doubt the events are just gonna be cross out Mecca and insert Jerusalem. Hell I think Pagans should also be able to get in on the fun of Pilgrimages.
Also the Hajj is something you do once per character, its hardy a defining feature about Muslims and wasnt there evidence that Paradox was planning Cristian pilgrimages for awhile? Like wasnt there a Pilgrim trait that was impossible to get without the ruler designer?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Yeah I really don't get it. The Hajj is a neat one-off thing (per character) and I wouldn't really consider it like a core mechanic. If Christians start worrying about decadence or can hold churches with no penalty, then we can talk.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

DStecks posted:

I agree that just giving Orthodox access to Catholic crusades would be a boring choice but how would something like that work?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DStecks posted:

Way to completely miss my point. It isn't about historical accuracy, it's about keeping different characters interestingly different to play as.

No, because tournaments are something Catholics had to begin with, whereas the Hajj is one of the things that makes Muslims unique. Giving Catholics an exact analogue makes Muslims that much less interesting to play.

No, because the Hajj is something Muslims had to begin with, whereas Tournaments are one of the things that make Catholics unique. Giving Muslims and exact analogue makes Catholics that much less interesting to play.

See how silly this is?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

"Guy goes on a journey, comes back with a +piety trait, may have a bunch of interesting events along the way" is a pretty drat open-ended concept anyway. The VIET mod, for example, lets any ruler just take a surveying trip through their own lands whenever they want.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

SpRahl posted:

Also the Hajj is something you do once per character, its hardy a defining feature about Muslims and wasnt there evidence that Paradox was planning Cristian pilgrimages for awhile? Like wasnt there a Pilgrim trait that was impossible to get without the ruler designer?
Yep. Pilgrim was added to the code with SoI, though there isn't any way to get it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And according to the screenshots you can choose between destinations farther away or closer to home. Do you take the safe route to Canterbury or Rome? Or do you make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem? That has huge potential for varied events.

At the same time the Muslims get a new unique mechanic with the two schools of thought that they can adopt. There is nothing similar with the Christians. While the expanded cardinal/pope mechanic makes Catholicism even more unique.

I am excited for this DLC.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

DStecks posted:

I agree with you, but you have to remember that they're also adding more unique mechanics to both christians & muslims in the DLC. (Cardinals, Muztazili vs Ashari, etc.) They can afford to remove some of the difference between the religions when they're adding many more, I think.

Basically, don't look at the change in a vacuum!

Useless Shotgun
Nov 5, 2010

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk.
With the whole College of Cardinals being added, it will be nice to see some more pious and hopefully interesting Popes, though part of me will miss the wormhole where the cardinals previously pulled out random Italian men to be Popes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Really all I want out of this is marriage and succession settings to be fully controlled by mods, instead of some things hard coded in the exe.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

DStecks posted:

Things that all the religions have in common and things that any of them can logically do should be available- the Hajj is a really big deal and should have that recognized in game while Christians and Jews can also go on pilgrimages each one should be distinct and have its own flavor. Anyone should be able to raid in my opinion since every kind of person did back then, but depending on faith you should be penalized for rewarded for such.

I've never played long enough to have any clear cut war rape in my game, and I think that would be a terrible edition to have as a player choice, but if you are a lustful warlord who raids I think you should have a chance at a bastard child coming around making claims or demanding them. I do make a point, while playing a my character who became Sunni & Shia Caliphate, to take any of the raider's children prisoner and only release them when they convert and become my character's wife- the amount of racial considerations I make in my Islamic Empire is staggering come to think of it. I remember the struggle of converting East Africa and my rage at why my son won't produce a child with (Once Queen) of Heathentown or whatever they called it.

I look forward to having faith fleshed out more in this game.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm trying to survive as Asturias starting from 867 and the Umayyads have managed to gobble up everything in Africa west of Egypt, and now they're even more powerful than the (slowly) crumbling Karling mega-empire. They've finally ran out of people to push around in the east so they've decided to declare a holy war on me. Even after stabbing 4 of their kings down to some random 6 year-old there's nothing going on inside the empire, even though their king is hated by nearly every vassal. The only Christian to come help is Navarre (two county kingdom :toot:) and the Umayyads can raise 3x the amount of troops I have and 1% decadence.

Would anything have changed if I had stabbed the dude before he declared war on me? They're only after Aragon which I had nabbed from them in a civil war but I fear they'll continue stomping me into the ground as they only seem to be stopped by combined defenses from the Karlings/Byzantine or Abbasids/Turks.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

DStecks posted:

You might have had a point if they weren't adding new unique features to Islam in the DLC as well!

e; beaten.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

I agree with you, but you have to remember that they're also adding more unique mechanics to both christians & muslims in the DLC. (Cardinals, Muztazili vs Ashari, etc.) They can afford to remove some of the difference between the religions when they're adding many more, I think.

Basically, don't look at the change in a vacuum!

Rapdawg posted:

Things that all the religions have in common and things that any of them can logically do should be available- the Hajj is a really big deal and should have that recognized in game while Christians and Jews can also go on pilgrimages each one should be distinct and have its own flavor. Anyone should be able to raid in my opinion since every kind of person did back then, but depending on faith you should be penalized for rewarded for such.

These are decent points, and yeah, in light of the new expansion pilgrimages being available to all Abrahamic faiths isn't so bad. It's really just a symptom of my real issue with the design philosophy at work, which is one that doesn't have variety as a priority. This is a game where variety should be king, to keep each new playthrough fresh. This is why Spore didn't work, and why the new XCOM isn't quite as engaging as the original. In a freeform, sandboxy game, each playthrough should be significantly different. As it is, CKII hits that sweet spot of variety, which is why it pains me to see the designers apparently not getting that. It's more a problem in what it signifies, rather than what it is in of itself.

The additions in SoA will do much more good than harm on the variety front, but the little things still add up.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

On a different front, I've run into an issue with my custom dynasty game. I've been deposed by my brother in a claim rebellion, and apparently because I held no land beyond the capital, I'm now playing as him and the game nuked my score. So, another threat from having a tiny demesne. I'm not terribly upset because my score was only 4000, and in my de Bourgogne game I could get that in 1 ruler, but I'd still like to be able to get the full list at the end of the game.

Also complicating things is the fact that my previous character raised the usurper himself, with the express intent of turning him into a master martial. What this means is that the new king of Bavaria is a complete loving psychopath.

So, I'll let you guys choose for me, since I think both options are pretty interesting:
  • Revert to an autosave and pull shenanigans to prevent a game over, OR
  • Continue playing as the psychotic King Sheldon I of Bavaria.

EDIT: Further events in my game: defying expectations, Byzantium fell to the Muslims in loving 1001 AD. Francia has successfully annexed Tunis via holy war, yet Lotharingia keeps on keeping on. The dominant power of the British Isles, without a doubt, is loving Gwynedd; which despite holding Wales, half of Ireland and half of England, has yet to form the Kingdom of Wales.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 6, 2013

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

The answer is to always keep playing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Yep

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

People were asking before about how vassalage comes into play for calling to war. One interaction I just found is that if your enemy calls an ally to war, and you call that ally's liege to war, the liege assumes control of the ally's army, switching it to your side. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

QuoProQuid posted:

Does paradox have a ck3 in the works?

• Locked thread