Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

effpee posted:

Thanks for the info.

Sheesh, I didn't realize Sprint was so reviled. Since so many people commented, it was between Sprint and T-Mobile because I stream a lot of poo poo and unlimited data is important to me. I know people with Sprint and Sensorly has lots of test results showing it with not great, but good enough speed throughout my area. I don't know anyone with T-Mobile, Sensorly has practically no data on them in this area, and T-Mobile's own coverage map claims "satisfactory" LTE coverage in most of the area. So I went with Sprint. I'll find out Friday if I made a terrible choice.

Tmobiles "3g" speeds can hit 20mbps in real world usage. Sprints 3g is 100k-1mbps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

There's also AIO prepaid which is AT&T's prepaid. It'll have much better coverage and likely better speeds, even being capped at 8 Mbps, than Sprint in actual usage. The only advantage to Sprint is that they still offer unlimited data, but what is the point of unlimited if it's too slow to really be used? (And T-Mobile has a $70 unlimited everything plan.)

AT&T filed with the FCC that they intend to shut down Aio and shift the customers to Cricket if their acquisition of Leap goes through. So there's that. I guess Aio didn't go so well for them if they just are going to move their customers into the land of drug dealer burner phones.

effpee
Nov 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

You could always get a SIM card from T-Mo, sign up for a one-day plan and try out speeds in various places. This makes far more sense than locking yourself into a two-year plan without even trying.

I actually had no idea they had one-day plans. That's good to know, thanks!

Anyway, I didn't intend to derail this thread with tales of my possibly bad decisions regarding carriers other than Verizon. I just wanted to know if the seemingly too-good-to-be-true plan the poor rep offered my angry wife was a real thing Verizon offers. Thanks for confirming that it is, Verizon thread!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Don Lapre posted:

Tmobiles "3g" speeds can hit 20mbps in real world usage. Sprints 3g is 100k-1mbps

I think you're referring to their non-LTE "4G" network that is actually HSPA+ and not true 4G (typically referred to as 3.5G.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

effpee posted:

I actually had no idea they had one-day plans. That's good to know, thanks!

Anyway, I didn't intend to derail this thread with tales of my possibly bad decisions regarding carriers other than Verizon. I just wanted to know if the seemingly too-good-to-be-true plan the poor rep offered my angry wife was a real thing Verizon offers. Thanks for confirming that it is, Verizon thread!
Here you go. It doesn't give much data, but it's enough to give you an idea of speeds in your area and it's all of $3.

EDIT: The derail is more my fault. I was just surprised you'd leave Verizon for Sprint considering it's not a whole lot cheaper and service is significantly worse by virtually every measure other than data allotment.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 6, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

effpee posted:

Thanks for the info.

Sheesh, I didn't realize Sprint was so reviled.

I'll find out Friday if I made a terrible choice.

Godspeed and goodluck, but remember you have 14 days to return after activation otherwise you will be subject to a big ETF "$350/line for advanced devices"

http://www.sprint.com/landings/returns/

No joke, the Sprint thread has about every 10th post a person saying "Bye Sprint". There was a joke in the Sprint thread for awhile to be renamed Sprint: Now with 5 4 3 2 goons left. It's pretty bad even if you live in a LTE market. The hand off between LTE and 3G seems pretty bad so you end up dropping just walking around a town every time it switches back and forth. And the 3G tower speeds are as bad as ATT/TMo Edge.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
This is probably a dumb question, but I know Verizon's been trying to kill unlimited for a long time, I don't really want to go through the work of splitting off my unlimited line and paying retail for a phone for Verizon to drop a giant "gently caress you" and destroy all the unlimited.

I'm pretty sure Verizon wouldn't even tell their own employees if this was gonna happen or not, but I don't know.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ACID POLICE posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but I know Verizon's been trying to kill unlimited for a long time, I don't really want to go through the work of splitting off my unlimited line and paying retail for a phone for Verizon to drop a giant "gently caress you" and destroy all the unlimited.

I'm pretty sure Verizon wouldn't even tell their own employees if this was gonna happen or not, but I don't know.

What's the question?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Called and got the 6GB plan noted, did the upgrade to a MAXX for $99 on Amazon.com :toot:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Amazon has LG G2's for $200 without a service plan for Verizon.

Just in case you were about to go and buy a used year old phone because you'd broken your previous one:
http://www.amazon.com/LG-G2-Black-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B00EZW9UXW/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1383838824&sr=1-1

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Kytrarewn posted:

Just in case you were about to go and buy a used year old phone because you'd broken your previous one:
http://www.amazon.com/LG-G2-Black-Verizon-Wireless/dp/B00EZW9UXW/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1383838824&sr=1-1

:drat:

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

dayum.

They are out of stock but I placed an order just in case. Have an iphone 5 atm but for $200 I can't beat that.

bug chaser chaser fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 7, 2013

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Although it still 3 months away, I'm trying to figure out to do when my current contract ends in February. My initial thought was move to t-mobile, but that is kind of risky with the whole at&t merger thing.

I am currently at 5gb of data with 2 weeks left in the billing period, so moving to any data tier without severely curtailing my data usage would be absurdly expensive. It would actually be cheaper to do the edge thing if I could keep my current plan, although that is of kind of questionable value.

Do I have any actually good options here?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Kytrarewn posted:

Wow, that vanished pretty quickly. At $200 I would pick that up just for fun.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Holy crap, i would have done that just because. My wife loves the phone.

Im *really* tempted to update my original Android Razr to the new Maxx for $99, but i really want to see the new LTE only (hybrid) phones that are supposed to come out. Dont want to waste my upgrade just yet on the cusp of new stuff.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Khisanth Magus posted:

My initial thought was move to t-mobile, but that is kind of risky with the whole at&t merger thing.

You know this is not, and has not been a thing in 2 years right... DOJ broke that up in Dec 2011.

Kytrarewn posted:

I was going to make a joke about these being firesaled from the semi truck that was stolen in Indiana, but they found already. :(

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 7, 2013

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

SeaborneClink posted:

You know this is not, and has not been a thing in 2 years right... DOJ broke that up in Dec 2011.

I was going to make a joke about these being firesaled from the semi truck that was stolen in Indiana, but they found already. :(

Could have been a good one if they weren't also Sprint phones that were stolen.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

SeaborneClink posted:

Apparently the t-mobile thread needs its OP updated, and I need to keep up with the times.

In that case, in 3 months hello t-mobile and the absurdly high employee discount I get there.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Looks like the G2 went back to $649.99 for price without contract. Error on their part or a stunt to get their G2 page to blow up?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TenaciousTomato posted:

Looks like the G2 went back to $649.99 for price without contract. Error on their part or a stunt to get their G2 page to blow up?

It was an amazon error. The note 3 was $299 with no contract.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Well I was dumb and didn't buy one so back to looking at the Maxx for $99/2years :suicide:

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

quote:

We're contacting you about order #109-1633790-2209068. Unfortunately, we recently discovered that an error caused the following item(s) to be displayed at an incorrect price:

LG G2, Black (Verizon Wireless)

In this case, we're unable to offer this item for the incorrectly posted price. Therefore, we've cancelled your order for this item.

drat it.

I was so excited too.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

this little bastard posted:

drat it.

I was so excited too.

If you bitch you might get something. They offered the product and you completed the purchase, there might be a truth in advertising/Uniform commerical code case here. It's been awhile since I've looked up how "typos" impact online purchases, but it seems like this is pretty cut and dry.

They offered a product at a price and you bought it now they are withdrawing from the contact they don't like.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
It's in the terms and conditions that they aren't obligated to sell you anything if they make a mistake or simply don't want to, the will refund the money and call it done.

If they charged you the full 650, even though you agreed to only pay $299 you might have an argument.

The LG2 is $50 this weekend only at Verizon with a 2 Year. Its a really, really good phone that gets overlooked. At $50 its stupid to get anything else.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Stick100 posted:

If you bitch you might get something. They offered the product and you completed the purchase, there might be a truth in advertising/Uniform commerical code case here. It's been awhile since I've looked up how "typos" impact online purchases, but it seems like this is pretty cut and dry.

They offered a product at a price and you bought it now they are withdrawing from the contact they don't like.

You wish. You aren't entitled to poo poo. They made a pricing mistake, you knew it was a pricing mistake ($200 from $650? Really?). You're lucky they don't try to charge you the full amount.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

The LG2 is $50 this weekend only at Verizon with a 2 Year. Its a really, really good phone that gets overlooked. At $50 its stupid to get anything else.

Going to the store to try this and Maxx and going to make a decision based on that

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Mighty Horse posted:

GWBBQ posted:

My brother's Droid X is dying (dark spots and dead pixels on the screen) and apparently we're still paying for the extended warranty. It's not from abuse and the phone is still in good cosmetic condition, is there any chance it will still be covered and would they even have a stock of old Droid X's around to replace it with?

It should be covered, you might have to explain the spots are not due to damage... (they aren't, its very common to the X but looks a LOT like a cracked screen) Getting another Droid X ? Pretty good. It was a common phone, and parts are still out there.

You might get lucky though, its worth a phone call.
He just tried yesterday and they initially told him that the extended warranty was only good for two years, that it was only added last month, and that they could refund him the ten cents extra he's paid since then, but he persisted and they're overnighting him a new phone.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

They made a pricing mistake

True.

Magic Underwear posted:

you knew it was a pricing mistake.

Probably true, but not necessarily. Amazon could have decided to dump their stock because they weren't selling and Verizon had something to replace it with. Whatever the reason, one cannot simply assume that a really good deal is a mistake. If they were selling them for :10bux: then sure, but 67% off is not unheard of, particularly for dumping inventory

Magic Underwear posted:

You're lucky they don't try to charge you the full amount.

Absolutely false. They simply cannot charge the card for more than was authorized without an explicit contract in place (gas pump pre-auth, tips, etc). Their only recourse for a mistaken charge like that is to refund the money and cancel the transaction.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

TenaciousTomato posted:

Going to the store to try this and Maxx and going to make a decision based on that

I did side by side this last weekend, and was just waiting for Costco Wireless to get the MAXX down to $149 before I grabbed it. At $99 I didn't hesitate.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Does Costco sell off contract phones? If so, what's the Maxx going for?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cozmosis posted:

Does Costco sell off contract phones? If so, what's the Maxx going for?

No, they don't.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

AlexDeGruven posted:

but 67% off is not unheard of, particularly for dumping inventory

Yes it is. Except for the shittiest of poo poo phones like the htc first on contract phones rarely get cleared out on off contract pricing. If verizon still had the Droid X it would probably be $699.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

TenaciousTomato posted:

This is what I did. Feel of the phone and the abhorrence of the software on the G2 is what drew me to the Maxx. Stats-wise though, G2 wins, but doesn't have wireless charging. Choose wisely.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

THF13 posted:

I was able to do this but it's not simple. I used the online chat and a customer service person was able to let me activate the phone on the line I wanted rather than the one with the upgrade.

Just did this. The woman on the line said that I can go ahead and purchase the phone under the line with the upgrade. Then, call back with phone in hand and they will transfer the SIM to my account.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 8, 2013

brenter
Dec 15, 2004
Hey guys, whoa, big gulps huh? Alright. Well see ya later.
Anyone had any experience with Verizon in regards to price differences? I got the LG G2 for $99.99 last week after the promo code and now it's down to $0 after that promo code. Any chance of getting a credit for the difference? Who would I want to contact?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

brenter posted:

Anyone had any experience with Verizon in regards to price differences? I got the LG G2 for $99.99 last week after the promo code and now it's down to $0 after that promo code. Any chance of getting a credit for the difference? Who would I want to contact?

What promo code is that?

Edit: Talk to a store. You're within the 14 day return window, so even with the $35 restocking fee, you'd still come out ahead.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Super Dude posted:

What's the question?

Sorry, the question is if there's anything to suggest AT&T and Verizon might kill unlimited for everybody anytime soon.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

ACID POLICE posted:

Sorry, the question is if there's anything to suggest AT&T and Verizon might kill unlimited for everybody anytime soon.

There's no indication of this. The current strategy appears to be "offer them something slightly OK and hope they bite".

Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012
Quick question about early termination fees. I know that the fee is less if the line's for a basic phone, instead of a smartphone. Would they look at the history of the line at all, though? Like, I've currently got a smartphone and am looking to potentially bail.

If I kill the smartphone and make it a basic phone for, say, the last week of November, then book it on Dec. 1st, will I be paying the basic phone ETF, or will I be paying the smartphone ETF minus some amount for having briefly been on a basic phone plan?

Thanks, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Depends on what phone you got with the subsidy.

• Locked thread