Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gigi Galli posted:

Lmao what, this makes 0 sense. What's the justification?

Asian federation $$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

serious gaylord posted:

Asian federation $$$

Same reason they want to cut European spaces at the world cup. They don't give a poo poo about anything except the money. Its no wonder Platini has realised the more logical solution is just to add more teams so even more money but the teams people like are still there

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Dedicated qatar spot because gently caress you

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

my son bort posted:

Dedicated qatar spot because gently caress you

This just makes me wonder which footballer will get paid $Texas to represent Qatar like they do with distance runners.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Troy Queef posted:

This just makes me wonder which footballer will get paid $Texas to represent Qatar like they do with distance runners.

You know, that rule about players not being able to switch countries is entirely removable. I bet you there's a couple bucks in there for someone somewhere.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

El Hefe posted:

CONMEBOL are going to lose the fifth qualifying spot starting next WC apparently, there goes any chance of Venezuela ever qualifying for a WC. Uruguay can't be too happy either.

gently caress you Blatter.

Well that's stupid and ridiculous. CONMEBOL teams own. A very bad decision

So of course FIFA would support it

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
FIFA president Sepp Blatter has asked Iranian authorities to end the ban on female football spectators in stadiums.

:thumbsup:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ninpo posted:

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has asked Iranian authorities to end the ban on female football spectators in stadiums.

:thumbsup:

What a champion of the people Sepp Blatter is!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
How long until he asks that they dress sexier?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Asia already has 1 more spot than it realistically deserves. At least it makes it even easier for Australia to qualify now.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Split the Asian federation!

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

oldman posted:

Split the Asian federation!

The should take 2 of Asias slots and give them to oceania, then move Australia back to oceania.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Byolante posted:

The should take 2 of Asias slots and give them to oceania, then move Australia back to oceania.

I actually do think they should split into West and East Asia.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Byolante posted:

Why? Just move New Zealand to the AFC

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Just give a spot to Tahiti.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Why? Just move New Zealand to the AFC

I want NZ to qualify and they probably wouldn't make it out of the Asia group stages.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

El Hefe posted:

CONMEBOL are going to lose the fifth qualifying spot starting next WC apparently, there goes any chance of Venezuela ever qualifying for a WC. Uruguay can't be too happy either.

gently caress you Blatter.

Good you send too many teams as it is. I don't think half of your federation should qualify.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

CONMEBOL have fewer votes to sell to Sepp, CONCACAF's 35 votes are the only reason our poo poo confed has 3.5 spots.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
All five CONMEBOL teams made it out of the group stage last World Cup.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

MisterBadIdea posted:

All five CONMEBOL teams made it out of the group stage last World Cup.

They sure did, but you're using things like logic and history and statistical analysis to argue your point which will be shouted down with cries of "gently caress YOU PAY ME".

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
CONCAACFE gets too many spots.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

CONCAACFE gets too many spots.

That's not a thing mate.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Tigren posted:

That's not a thing mate.

I think he means CONCACAFACACF

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

NinjaSteve posted:

I think he means CONCACAFACACF

Phwoar, I don't see that on the list of football federations either. Maybe you guys could double check your references?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If you say CONCAFAXNOXN five times into a mirror the smiling ghost of Freddy Adu emerges and gives you a nice suck job.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

If you say CONCAFAXNOXN five times into a mirror the smiling ghost of Freddy Adu emerges and gives you a nice suck job.

Gross, he's like 35 years old

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ae-8930196.html

What a farce.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Sepp's Twitter account just said that the Qatar WC won't be shared with any other countries (as has been rumored lately), and that the WC dates won't be in January or February to avoid conflicting with the Winter Olympics.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
“I keep a big question mark on this. I have just passed through Iran and, even on a political level, people told me they would be happy to host some of the matches.

“So not even in the Gulf state but in the Middle East in general. The UAE would also be very eager but let’s go step by step. The first step is to see how it can be played in November-December and this shall be until the next World Cup: we have six, nine months to do so.”

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ex-Fifa executive Franz Beckenbauer: "I have not seen a single slave in Qatar. I don't know where these reports come from. I've been to Qatar and have a completely different picture of it. I think mine is more realistic."

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Crazy Ted posted:

Ex-Fifa executive Franz Beckenbauer: "I have not seen a single slave in Qatar. I don't know where these reports come from. I've been to Qatar and have a completely different picture of it. I think mine is more realistic."

the next part of that quote

"Thank you Qatar football for the lovely rolexes for me and my family"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ayb posted:

the next part of that quote

"Thank you Qatar football for the lovely rolexes for me and my family"
The next part of that quote:

"What the gently caress do you mean I'm supposed to declare those on my taxes?"

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

I live in Qatar. Was he expecting emaciated men in loincloths dragging huge chunks of limestone over logs? They're more or less unmissable.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well they may be harder to spot when a billionaire oil sheikh is carting you around in his limo and throwing massive bags of money at you all the time.

It's 100% obvious that all we're going to get from FIFA is paid off PR bullshit. Could there possibly be room for citizen journalism here? Maybe people who live there could document what's actually going on and how slavery actually totally is a loving thing. It might get traction and picked up?

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Well they may be harder to spot when a billionaire oil sheikh is carting you around in his limo and throwing massive bags of money at you all the time.

It's 100% obvious that all we're going to get from FIFA is paid off PR bullshit. Could there possibly be room for citizen journalism here? Maybe people who live there could document what's actually going on and how slavery actually totally is a loving thing. It might get traction and picked up?

There are some sources that have picked up the issue, but until recently it was focused on Dubai. Dohanews.co is the most hard-hitting, but even they have to couch it in euphemism to continue operating. The fact is that if you step on toes, you could get your residency revoked and deported, and very few people here are willing to stick their necks out. There are some positive signs. One of the largest projects underway in the country came out today with a press release about improving the lot of its 14,000 labourers http://thepeninsulaqatar.com/qatar/260225-msheireb-will-have-several-new-features.html

Several multinational oil and gas companies are refusing to use contractors with lovely records. It's still finger in the dyke stuff, but better than nothing.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Pssst it's "dike" with an i.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

corpuscollossus posted:

finger in the dyke stuff

holy poo poo lmao

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007