Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Fargo Fukes posted:

Can anyone give me any advice towards improving general stability (I'm CTD a lot outdoors) or fixing broken animation in random wildlife? Some creatures (I think exclusively Immersive Wildlife creatures) are stuck in that default pose and won't move from it. Given that these creatures are usually outdoors I'm wondering if the two issues are connected. Here's my load order:

I believe the skating animals are a leveled list issue, at least according to the SkyTEST readme here. Looking at your load order though, it looks like you might want to run it through BOSS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

give me thread posted:

Has anyone here tried Tropical Skyrim? It looks really amazing. So much so that I'm thinking of dumping most of my current "pretty looking" mods and loading up this one just to experience a completely different environment.

I'd always wondered what a modern TES: Hammerfell would look like. I wonder how the game handles the need for the Clear Skies shout. Sandstorms?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mayheim posted:

I think something messed up my firstperson camera and now I feel like a dwarf in first person.

I've already tried this mod but it did not help:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/32155/

Bonus pic, me sitting at Alvor's table:

Edit: I figured it out
Make sure you keep the solution to yourself. If there is a mod we should avoid or an easy fix should anyone run into the same issue, I for one would rather not know :colbert:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Scyantific posted:

Are you using ASIS and SPERG?

It's interesting that you ask this question to someone who's getting owned. I have sperg and ASIS, running on expert or master now. I be owning poo poo. Although, I am a mage dude. And mana seems to regen a lot faster now than it did the last time I played with sperg. Maybe it's because I'm on a new pc and getting more than 10 fps! poo poo doesn't teleport to me and cave my skull in anymore.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Is there a mod to improve this lovely-looking wood in the inn firepits?

I've tried all the popular fire mods like Better Embers, Realistic Smoke and Embers, Cinematic Fire Effects etc. etc. They just make the fire effect look better, what I'm looking for is an improvement to the wood so it isn't just a pile of perfect cylinders with a glow texture.

Torka fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 6, 2013

futile
May 18, 2009
Apparently this mod http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/46465 is supposed to be helping people stop their infinite load screen issues. Can anyone plagued by ILS problems try it out and let us know if it made a noticeable difference? PS if it breaks your game it's not my fault, but it looks like there's enough praise already that it should be safe.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Torka posted:

Is there a mod to improve this lovely-looking wood in the inn firepits?

I've tried all the popular fire mods like Better Embers, Realistic Smoke and Embers, Cinematic Fire Effects etc. etc. They just make the fire effect look better, what I'm looking for is an improvement to the wood so it isn't just a pile of perfect cylinders with a glow texture.

Looks like you're using Bethesda's HD DLC without using the unofficial Hi-Res patch.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I'd always wondered what a modern TES: Hammerfell would look like. I wonder how the game handles the need for the Clear Skies shout. Sandstorms?
Just from the description I think this is mostly a visual mod but still has rain and yes, apparently sandstorms. I'm downloading it now and will report back for you.

Loving the fact that animals have been replaced as well! Panda bears :3:

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

give me thread posted:

Has anyone here tried Tropical Skyrim? It looks really amazing. So much so that I'm thinking of dumping most of my current "pretty looking" mods and loading up this one just to experience a completely different environment.

It's neat for a little while but it tends to wash everything out in green, and the default Skyrim art design is a ton better. This isn't a knock at the creator because he created a pretty great product, but I got bored of it after a few hours. So many other games do the beach/jungle thing a lot more effectively.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Does anyone know what in the name of all the fucks is going on with SkyrimPrefs.ini lately? :psyduck:

I reinstalled recently and I've tried to disable compass. There are plenty of guides to remind me how to do that, it should be done by simply adding bShowCompass=0 into the SkyrimPrefs.ini under \my documents\my games\Skyrim\

I tried that, nothing. I added it to Skyrim.ini too, nothing. I added it to SkyrimPrefs located in Steams Skyrim\Skyrim\ folder, nothing. I deleted all those .ini files, nothing. The game starts without them just fine, doesn't recreate any of them, doesn't give a gently caress. Compass remains.

What's going on here, where is the game reading its ini files now?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Fewd posted:

What's going on here, where is the game reading its ini files now?
If you're using Mod Organizer, you need to edit the .ini files located under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<profile name>

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Raygereio posted:

If you're using Mod Organizer, you need to edit the .ini files located under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<profile name>

Thanks!

It would seem my Skyrim installation isn't haunted after all. :ms:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm playing through right now with Interesting NPCs, and I'm really loving it. I've heard criticism about the amateur voice acting, but I find most of the voice acting to be pretty decent and more fitting of the game. A lot of the voice actors in vanilla like Jason Marsden (Erik and Sven) sound like they're doing a cereal commercial.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 7, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

give me thread posted:

Just from the description I think this is mostly a visual mod but still has rain and yes, apparently sandstorms. I'm downloading it now and will report back for you.

Loving the fact that animals have been replaced as well! Panda bears :3:

Yeah well just wait til you see what they replaced the wolves with.

They need to get that guy to work on the Beyond Skyrim/Cyrodiil project and do design work for Hammerfell, Valenwood, and Elsewyr.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

vandalism posted:

It's interesting that you ask this question to someone who's getting owned. I have sperg and ASIS, running on expert or master now. I be owning poo poo. Although, I am a mage dude. And mana seems to regen a lot faster now than it did the last time I played with sperg. Maybe it's because I'm on a new pc and getting more than 10 fps! poo poo doesn't teleport to me and cave my skull in anymore.

I am that person being owned! I don't think it was a bug, just a combination of a lot of different mods which really increases the difficulty at lower levels... Namely.... Level 1.

With alternate starts having shoved me into serious action in the far north, I think it was mostly just being level 1 in a place where levels probably don't start at one. I man't up in the end... and now play at expert with a plus 10 level bump just to even things out for the poor wretched faces I shoot crossbows into.

I guess their could be a conflict somewhere which makes poo poo waaaay to hard to start, poo poo still has an amazing amount of DPS against me, I just don't let them.

EDIT!: On another note, I'm going to try Belua Sanguinare and see if it's any good. Better vampires seemed alright, but sorta... bleh.

Reeoorb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 7, 2013

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm playing through right now with Interesting NPCs, and I'm really loving it. I've heard criticism about the amateur voice acting, but I find most of the voice acting to be pretty decent and more fitting of the game. A lot of the voice actors in vanilla like Jason Marsden (Erik and Sven) sound like they doing a cereal commercial.

When they did well on one of the NPCs they usually hit it out of the park (Isobel is good fun, for instance). The failures can be pretty immense, though. There's an awful lot of humor that should be subtle, but it's more of a "wink, nudge" where the nudge is elbowing you in the spine. I seem to run into characters in sets too, which maybe tends to skew my opinion. I ran into three sullen artist types right after I installed it. Then for a while it seemed like half the NPCs were nothing but smart-rear end jackholes who had a snappy comeback for everything. The dialogue options were set up so it looked like a verbal sparring match, but it's only the WWE sort where you follow the script right into the heel's trap. I ran into 2 or 3 of those when the game was being crashy and frustrating in general, and then finally happened upon that gold-digger noblewoman on the road. After getting about three choices into her tree, and hearing nothing but bitchy remarks, I just cancelled out and cut off her head as she finished calling me a moron or whatever. I reloaded after, but I'm still hoping she has a quest that ends the way that stupid stance-obsessed Khajit's quest did. Well, maybe without having to do a lap around Skyrim in the final act.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I'm doing a clean install and upgrading to the new version of Mod Organizer. Do I need to uninstall the old version first, or can I just fire the exe file for the new version and it will overwrite?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Found something that could possibly be a cool new mod on todays nexus recent activity: skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/46548, for those of you who played Oblivion it ( somewhat akwardly ) re-implements the Sigil stones from Oblivion and the runeskulls from the Exnem Runeskulls mod. I love the idea because it gives you access to limited enchanting even when you really don't care about leveling enchanting up.

I'm not touching it for now though since it seems from the description that there might still be some bugs in it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

give me thread posted:

Those who have; were there any issues, or something I should be weary of?

e: also interested what ENB presets would go well with it?

I use this and haven't gone back yet. But it isn't perfect- there were a couple changes I made to get it to where I was happy. There are a few things I didn't like, so I fixed or removed them. I can upload my copy of the mod somewhere if these changes sound like something you want.

Sorry for the wall of text, but it's better to know what you're getting into.

I didn't like some of the animal replacers (theriums replacing some bears, janky looking raptors replacing wolves, badly-textured gorillas replacing trolls, I think maybe one or two more). Some of the retextures aren't bad (crabs are red now instead of brown, pandas roam bamboo forests instead of brown bears, I think rats are different too), so I didn't remove them.

I also removed the sandstorms, but they may have improved from when I removed them. I hated them in the first release of the mod so I never bothered when I updated, I just removed them again.

I didn't care for his menu replacers. The loading screen background and main menu were changed, but I preferred the black background. You may have to use mod organizer to unpack the BSA and remove the new textures/meshes as well as remove an edit in tes5edit (I'm sure there's another utility out there for upacking BSAs if you don't use mod organzier).

Also, ice bergs are now floating rocks- I tell myself it's pumice blown out from the red mountain eruption, even though I don't think that really makes sense, but it's up to you if this is too jarring. Not much in the way of a fix for this, unfortunately. I can live with it, but it's up to you if you can.

It may seem like there's a lot I don't like about this mod, but that's not true. I love it. I haven't regretted installing it once. Every place I go is a breath of fresh air. It's just that in it's normal state it's good, and it takes some massaging to make it great.

As far as playing well with other mods, it's basically a texture replacer, so it won't work with other terrain texture packs, unless they were made for it. Frostfall isn't going to make sense with it, and the author of that said he's not interested in making a tropical version for heat exposure (drat shame, too). I don't have the hardware to run ENB, so I couldn't say with any authority on that. I just use the imaginator and urwl to make it how I like. Can't say I'm disappointed though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That is pretty cool actually, I always loved the Runeskull mods in my giant gently caress-off lore playthroughs.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 7, 2013

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm playing through right now with Interesting NPCs, and I'm really loving it. I've heard criticism about the amateur voice acting, but I find most of the voice acting to be pretty decent and more fitting of the game. A lot of the voice actors in vanilla like Jason Marsden (Erik and Sven) sound like they're doing a cereal commercial.

I was actually really surprised at the quality of the Khajit and Argonian voice actors. Those "accents" seem they'd be really easy to screw up, but some of the actors just knocked it out of the park. It's not all great--Anum-La the Swamp Knight sounds like one of Marge Simpson's sisters, for instance--but I think it adds more to the game than detracts. And after starting my like, 50th game, it's really refreshing to not hear the same however many voice actors over and over again.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

futile posted:

Apparently this mod http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/46465 is supposed to be helping people stop their infinite load screen issues. Can anyone plagued by ILS problems try it out and let us know if it made a noticeable difference? PS if it breaks your game it's not my fault, but it looks like there's enough praise already that it should be safe.

I'm using it, and it's working very well for me. No CTD's on using "showracemenu" or when using the forge or bartering, although some people reported issues with the latter two.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

I use this and haven't gone back yet. But it isn't perfect- there were a couple changes I made to get it to where I was happy. There are a few things I didn't like, so I fixed or removed them. I can upload my copy of the mod somewhere if these changes sound like something you want.

Sorry for the wall of text, but it's better to know what you're getting into.

I didn't like some of the animal replacers (theriums replacing some bears, janky looking raptors replacing wolves, badly-textured gorillas replacing trolls, I think maybe one or two more). Some of the retextures aren't bad (crabs are red now instead of brown, pandas roam bamboo forests instead of brown bears, I think rats are different too), so I didn't remove them.

I also removed the sandstorms, but they may have improved from when I removed them. I hated them in the first release of the mod so I never bothered when I updated, I just removed them again.

I didn't care for his menu replacers. The loading screen background and main menu were changed, but I preferred the black background. You may have to use mod organizer to unpack the BSA and remove the new textures/meshes as well as remove an edit in tes5edit (I'm sure there's another utility out there for upacking BSAs if you don't use mod organzier).

Also, ice bergs are now floating rocks- I tell myself it's pumice blown out from the red mountain eruption, even though I don't think that really makes sense, but it's up to you if this is too jarring. Not much in the way of a fix for this, unfortunately. I can live with it, but it's up to you if you can.

It may seem like there's a lot I don't like about this mod, but that's not true. I love it. I haven't regretted installing it once. Every place I go is a breath of fresh air. It's just that in it's normal state it's good, and it takes some massaging to make it great.

As far as playing well with other mods, it's basically a texture replacer, so it won't work with other terrain texture packs, unless they were made for it. Frostfall isn't going to make sense with it, and the author of that said he's not interested in making a tropical version for heat exposure (drat shame, too). I don't have the hardware to run ENB, so I couldn't say with any authority on that. I just use the imaginator and urwl to make it how I like. Can't say I'm disappointed though.

Please upload your version. Your changes are all changes I would like to make myself but am too lazy to do so.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am curious. Would it be possible to Mod Skyrim so that, instead of loading the entire game world, you could just load a specific hold? I know that it would defeat a lot of the exploration, but if there was a way to load a single hold by entering, say, a door, would it increase performance, or even let individual holds be expanded?

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am curious. Would it be possible to Mod Skyrim so that, instead of loading the entire game world, you could just load a specific hold? I know that it would defeat a lot of the exploration, but if there was a way to load a single hold by entering, say, a door, would it increase performance, or even let individual holds be expanded?

I am pretty sure the game currently does not load the entire open world persay. It loads the "cell" you are in and partially renders surrounding cells that you see in the distance. As you cross over, it fully renders the next cell in anticipation of your arrival.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

lunatikfringe posted:

I am pretty sure the game currently does not load the entire open world persay. It loads the "cell" you are in and partially renders surrounding cells that you see in the distance. As you cross over, it fully renders the next cell in anticipation of your arrival.

What Skryrim loads is kinda wonky but that's the gist of it. How much around you it loads is actually changeable in the ini file with the uGridsToLoad=5 setting. But changing it will gently caress your game up because bethesda. This gif shows the same view at 5, 7, and 9. Cells that aren't loaded have LOD info loaded instead. This is the low detail version you see when its far away. In the gif you can see the LOD version of the fort looks like crap and as more cells are loaded the details show up. When you leave an area the reverse happens, the cell is unloaded and you just see the LOD stuff.

The cities are basically a miniature version of your idea. There is too much stuff in them to just have them be normal cells that load as you get near. When you use the gates it unloads the main world and loads the city world instead. You could do the same thing with each hold but it wouldn't really matter. Bethesda was careful to spread things out in the overworld so there is never too many things in the cells you have loaded no matter where you are.

Most of this is actually bethesda chopping the game down to run on consoles. With a beefy computer you run with uGridsToLoad=9 or higher without framerate issues. But quests and scripts end up getting hosed up because the engine expects you to only have 5 loaded. They chose 5 because that was what they could cram into the consoles. Same with cities. Even a middle of the road computer can actually handle having the cities as part of the overworld but there was no way in hell the 360 or ps3 could so we have to use the door.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

LtSmash posted:

Most of this is actually bethesda chopping the game down to run on consoles.
Something they continued to do with each successive patch. Many of the bugs that showed up in the latest patch are thought to be there because of efforts to get it to work on PS3.

It'd be nice if they'd release a PC-only patch with all that poo poo cut out. Apparently 1.9 isn't compatible with Open Cities at all.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Hell a patch that made it use more than 3.2gb of ram instead of crashing as soon as it hit the limit would be nice. The fact the release version of the game for pc was compiled without any optimizations enabled kinda says something about how they work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My theory would be that if they chopped up the overworld into the different Holds, they could make each hold bigger or more detailed. In practice, it would probably triple the size of the game and kill my harddrive, but it would be neat. I got the idea from a mod I downloaded that increased the interior cell of Whiterun by about 30 percent while not touching the main gameworld.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Upmarket Mango posted:

Please upload your version. Your changes are all changes I would like to make myself but am too lazy to do so.

Not a problem, here you go:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wmpc4srs2ddt77n/Tropical_Skyrim_Tweaks.7z

Note that the ESP is only half the work needed. You will of course first need the tropical skyrim mod data, then copy over the esp in my zip folder. But you still aren't done- there are some loose files to delete to make sure everything works right. Just read the readme and it'll explain what to remove. It was either that or I re-upload the whole mod, and this was faster.

I only reverted four animal replacers- Apes are trolls again (they looked dopey and low-res), Raptors are now wolves again (the raptors look better in screenshot than they do in action). Theriums are now bears again (there are still pandas, though). And Seals are now horkers again. This last one I'm on the fence with. The seals looked plasticky to me, but not-walruses aren't exactly a tropical animal. Then again, neither are mammoths or dragons.

If someone prefers one of the animal replacers that I removed, I can re-upload a copy of the ESP with the new creatures in place, but it will take time to get around to it.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 8, 2013

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
SPERG question: When I used Sperge with NMM I had no problem. It overwrote the Uncapper and everything went fine with the perk every two levels. however, I'm now using Mod Organizer, and I've run into a problem. Sperg doesn't seem to overwrite the Uncapper to allow the perk every two levels. I'm getting them every level, and I'm worried that i'll end up overpowered and ruin the challenge. Any suggestions on how I could go about fixing this?

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

SPERG question: When I used Sperge with NMM I had no problem. It overwrote the Uncapper and everything went fine with the perk every two levels. however, I'm now using Mod Organizer, and I've run into a problem. Sperg doesn't seem to overwrite the Uncapper to allow the perk every two levels. I'm getting them every level, and I'm worried that i'll end up overpowered and ruin the challenge. Any suggestions on how I could go about fixing this?

Are you actually using the most recent version? If you're on one of the 0.12 versions, it'll do that.

EDIT: Also, like Scyantific says, you'll want to make sure that SPERG has a higher priority. Sort the "installed mods" list by priority, and then you can drag them up and down as needed. Higher numbers override lower.

Technogeek fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 9, 2013

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are you sure you have the SPERG uncapper file at a higher priority on the left pane?

If that doesn't work, just copy the SPERG uncapper file over to the original Uncapper directory and overwrite the base file.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sperg is currently at priority 183. The Uncapper is at 59. I'll try the copypaste suggestion and see if that works.

Despite a few hiccups, I'm amazed at how much more stable my game is. It's not a placebo effect of using a better system like MO, but I literally have had no crashes or freezes during a three hour play session. On NMM, I'd be getting a crash after about 1 1/2 hour.

futile
May 18, 2009
MO has really good tools built in for finding and solving conflicting file priority issues.

Use the Data tab on the right panel to look for conflicts. Click 'show only conflicts' at the bottom then browse for your file, in this case SKSE/Plugins/Something_Uncapper.ini. The red text is indicative of a conflict, and the mod described by the red text is the mod that is getting priority. If you highlight over it it will also tell you what mods are not being given priority, or "overwritten". You can then manually sort the priority of the mods as needed. A higher # in priority (the pane on the left, plugins on the right doesn't matter) loads later and will take file priority.

If all else fails, you can toss a proper version of the file in the 'overwrite' folder and it will take priority, or you can toss it in your Data folder directly and delete the relevant copies of it from the mods. These methods should pretty much never be necessary, though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Welp, I think I just wrecked my install. I installed ENB and Seasons of Skyrim and suddenly the game is now impossible to launch trough the script extender. It doesn't matter if I disable every mod I have, it just produces a black screen and stops responding. Strangely the game still launches fine trough the nexus mod manager if I launch trough the exe rather then the script extender but that doesn't really help since so many mods are dependent on it. I tried to reinstall SKSE but that didn't make a lick of difference.

Should I just reinstall the game or is there something obvious I'm missing? :psyduck:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Have you tried deleting all of the ENB related files from the Skyrim folder and verifying the file cache?

It might be related to your d3d9.dll file.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Has anyone come across a mod to make enchanting better early on? Like, enchanting seems to be total garbage compared to the items you find or buy for 90% of the skill's life, then you finally can make drop-quality items and then become OP once you hit 100. I feel like the only thing I do with it is spam-enchant rings to vendor because even with grand/black soul gems the items are just inferior.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Theres this mod which tries to act as an overhaul of the enchanting system by splitting the enchantments up into three categories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Have you tried deleting all of the ENB related files from the Skyrim folder and verifying the file cache?

It might be related to your d3d9.dll file.

Removing D3D9.dll instantly fixed it, SKSE is launching without an issue again. The problem immediately resurfaces when I attempted to re-install ENB though. :(

EDIT: To clarfiy, ENB runs fine when the game is launched trough the regular launcher. I can access the menu ingame and all seems to be in order but it immediately crashes if I try to launch trough SKSE.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 9, 2013

• Locked thread