Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

Preordering is often the worst thing. The amount of times I've preordered a book only to then stare jealously at it in bookstores while I wait a week or more for it to come in the mail... :sigh:

IME amazon ships pre-orders so that they arrive at your door on release day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

I just had the mental image of the Witches handling a murder mystery on a train. It was glorious.

Oh my god, this.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007

UnquietDream posted:

I'm not too keen on the whole 'Capitalism makes everyone's lives better' but that seems to be a message that Pratchett keeps pushing in all of his books.

Haven't read Raising Steam yet, but I got the opposite impression from the other Moist books. Going Postal had a corporate pirate running a murderous cartel as the main villain, and the Lavishes and Rusts are pretty damning indictments of the embedded upper class. In fact, with Vetinari pulling the strings, the story seems to favour benevolent government intervention in the economy quite a bit.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Professor Dog posted:

Haven't read Raising Steam yet, but I got the opposite impression from the other Moist books. Going Postal had a corporate pirate running a murderous cartel as the main villain, and the Lavishes and Rusts are pretty damning indictments of the embedded upper class. In fact, with Vetinari pulling the strings, the story seems to favour benevolent government intervention in the economy quite a bit.

Vetinari never denied he is a dictator, but he's also one who seems genuinely benevolent towards the city-state. Which means he'd be willing to cut the fat to keep the body healthy.

Benevolent Dictatorships, as a political concept, aren't that bad. Too bad people get old and die and their offspring aren't necessarily as good.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Good thing Vetinari has no heirs, save for whoever he's picking out to be the best to take care of the city when he's gone.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Hedrigall posted:

Preordering is often the worst thing. The amount of times I've preordered a book only to then stare jealously at it in bookstores while I wait a week or more for it to come in the mail... :sigh:

I tried preordering it as an E-book for the first time, and it actually worked out pretty well. The US and Canadian hardcovers aren't out yet, whereas overseas shipping from the UK is heinously expensive and would still take six days or so. Instead this morning I got an email that said 'hey you got a book' and it magically appeared on my Kobo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

veekie posted:

Good thing Vetinari has no heirs, save for whoever he's picking out to be the best to take care of the city when he's gone.
Is it Nobby? I bet it's Nobby. He's an Earl, you know.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Professor Dog posted:

Ok thematic spoilers here, no plot or characters really but you have been warned;
Now that I've had a night to think about it I think I can collect my thoughts more reasonably. Normally in Pratchett the stuff I don't approve of is more subtext while here its just text. Throughout the book you have the very Golem like thought that work sets you free and makes you better. This isn't nesseraily bad, but it becomes problematic when there is no counterpoint. In Discworld as a whole starvation is never an issue and the Morporkian Dream is seen as undeniably achievable where its real life equivalent is just a load of pretty bollocks. What you end up with is species who are freed from their former roles end up working harder and importantly succeeding. The message then seems to be free those in slavery, they'll still end up working for the gentry but working harder and longer because they want to. If Pratchett ever presented someone struggling and failing in spite of their hard work and effort then I'd be more sympathetic to the speeches about the virtue of hard work in this book. Ironically the one instance that I can think of where the above was the case is that of the poor matchstick girl in The Hogfather, ironic because Death himself could not allow her to die.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

withak posted:

IME amazon ships pre-orders so that they arrive at your door on release day.

Havn't ever had that happen here in germany. At the same time most of the bookstores in town don't give a drat about embargos and street dates for anything smaller than harry potter "we;ll sue you for everthing you own if you think about breaking this".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

veekie posted:

I think he's been doing his best to make sure it doesn't matter. Strong police and civil service and government organisations, setting things up so the system will keep on ticking along regardless of who's at the top.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

withak posted:

In case anyone didn't know: In the Kindle management settings on amazon.com, under "country settings", you can change your address to 10 Downing Street, order the ebook from amazon.co.uk, then change the address back to your previous address.

Just to ask the possibly silly question, there isn't any sort of region control that would restrict you from freely using it on an US device?

I really haven't had to learn the first thing about ebooks so far :shobon:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

MikeJF posted:

I think he's been doing his best to make sure it doesn't matter. Strong police and civil service and government organisations, setting things up so the system will keep on ticking along regardless of who's at the top.

Yeah but he'd need people in charge of these things who can't be corrupted or suborned. They need to be able to resist his would-be successors before they can develop to be strong enough to become fixtures in their own right, yet have power dispersed, so no one nut can change things back to where it was before.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

withak posted:

In case anyone didn't know: In the Kindle management settings on amazon.com, under "country settings", you can change your address to 10 Downing Street, order the ebook from amazon.co.uk, then change the address back to your previous address.

Just did this today; still works flawlessly. Also works for Neal Asher's "Jupiter War," which is out for a month in the UK and won't be out until next May US.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

Just to ask the possibly silly question, there isn't any sort of region control that would restrict you from freely using it on an US device?

I really haven't had to learn the first thing about ebooks so far :shobon:

The only restriction is on buying. Once you buy the ebook it doesn't care what your address is.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

withak posted:

The only restriction is on buying. Once you buy the ebook it doesn't care what your address is.

Cheers. After a very brief fake life as a member of the Prime Minister's staff, I have the ebook. :getin:

Impression so far is that the distorted prose characterized by a lot more monologuing and awkward words is still present just as it was in Snuff, but for all that it's still a very nice read. So far Moist is the character who still seems most like himself, which probably says something. :haw:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

withak posted:

Thanks! Thought I was screwed because I'm using an android app rather than a kindle proper, but it worked just as well.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I have read almost all of Terry Pratchett's books, including all of Discworld through Unseen Academicals, the Bromedliad Trilogy, Nation and Strata. So I can call myself a fan, I think.

The other week I got Snuff at a library book sale. And I started reading it, got a few pages in, put it down, picked it up again, got a few pages in, and...put it down again. It used to be that I could get a Discworld book, pick it up and finish it in an afternoon and want more.

I guess my problem is that Pratchett seems kind of glib to me now. I always thought it was funny and amusing the way he would describe things in simple terms. But now it seems more simplistic than simple. His explanations of the world and its customs seem more like "wise old uncle" apologetics.

Has Pratchett changed, or am I just noticing stuff now? Am I the only one who thinks that the serious character development has perhaps gotten a bit TOO serious?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

He's dying of Alzheimers.

He announced this in 2007, but I think his books have been off to one extent or another since Going Postal in 2004, and this has largely been hidden by most of his books in that time period focusing on new unestablished characters.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

pseudorandom name posted:

He's dying of Alzheimers.

He announced this in 2007, but I think his books have been off to one extent or another since Going Postal in 2004, and this has largely been hidden by most of his books in that time period focusing on new unestablished characters.

Although strangely enough, the books aren't showing signs of dementia, the are almost showing signs of the opposite. They are becoming a bit more predictable and safe.
How much do we know about who is really writing the books? Is he coming up with outlines and having help putting the book together, or is it all still him?

Also, my critique shouldn't be a sign that I am disrespecting him, especially since he has a terminal illness. I just wonder if anyone else is feeling some of the magic missing?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
As far as we know, he's still doing the writing except that it's mostly by dictation and he's reliant on others to edit.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And that's because he's no longer capable of reading. :(

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The dictation really comes across in Snuff, too. The dialogue sounds organic and real, but everybody communicates in huge monologues. I think it's because monologues are a lot more fun to dictate and Pratchett gets caught up in it.

Also it has a really weak plot, but so did Making Money. It happens sometimes.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Alzheimers can have a very slow progression. My grandmother was on a very slow decline for like 15 years until it finally killed her.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

I picked up Raising Steam today, had to wait until I got paid.

It's certainly much better than Snuff, but there's certain periods where people do act pretty out of character, and some of the dialogue and scenes just seem to... exist, with no substance to them at all.

Edit: I especially did like the Reaper Man callback at the start, and the few other throwbacks in there.

Crumpet fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 11, 2013

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

glowing-fish posted:

Although strangely enough, the books aren't showing signs of dementia, the are almost showing signs of the opposite. They are becoming a bit more predictable and safe.
How much do we know about who is really writing the books? Is he coming up with outlines and having help putting the book together, or is it all still him?

Also, my critique shouldn't be a sign that I am disrespecting him, especially since he has a terminal illness. I just wonder if anyone else is feeling some of the magic missing?

Most of the thread has been discussing this. Changing from written word to spoken word has definitely changed things.

I'm of the theory that it's also his editors who are, understandably, being far nicer and less vicious with their knife. Pratchett is a good man and likely a good friend, and after 30 years of success, they don't have the heartlessness to push and criticize the poor man in his declining years. How do you ask someone you respect to go back and redo it AGAIN 20 times a day when he's clearly tired and doing it for the love of his craft?

There's also a theory that he's having Rhianna ghostwrite a bit. This may explain why the characters are slightly "off." I can't say for sure, but it would not surprise me at all.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm of the theory that it's also his editors who are, understandably, being far nicer and less vicious with their knife. Pratchett is a good man and likely a good friend, and after 30 years of success, they don't have the heartlessness to push and criticize the poor man in his declining years. How do you ask someone you respect to go back and redo it AGAIN 20 times a day when he's clearly tired and doing it for the love of his craft?

I agree with you but at the same time I find it really weird that they're doing that because in the past he's talked about just how crucial his editors are to the process, and that the bulk of his stuff, they wouldn't be half the books they are if he'd been all "gently caress you I don't need editors I'm perfect." Maybe it's just me but if I cultivated that kind of relationship with my editors I'd be really mad and think it was super disrespectful if I found out they started easing up on me.

Maybe he just hasn't found out.

Julzie
Nov 9, 2013

Mister Roboto posted:

There's also a theory that he's having Rhianna ghostwrite a bit. This may explain why the characters are slightly "off." I can't say for sure, but it would not surprise me at all.

It's plausible ... he's bequeathed the rights to Discworld to her already; maybe it's a transition of sorts for Discworld from Terry to Rhianna

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I was rather disappointed with Raising Steam for two reasons. First, it's just not very funny and second almost every single 'good' character is portrayed as some kind of unstoppable fighting badass at one point or another; it just reads like some kind of bad fan service/wish fulfilment exercise. I think this is a problem Pratchett's had every time he's tried to focus heavily on social commentary - the righteousness sort of bludgeons the comedy and fun into non-existence.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

LemonDrizzle posted:

I was rather disappointed with Raising Steam for two reasons. First, it's just not very funny and second almost every single 'good' character is portrayed as some kind of unstoppable fighting badass at one point or another; it just reads like some kind of bad fan service/wish fulfilment exercise. I think this is a problem Pratchett's had every time he's tried to focus heavily on social commentary - the righteousness sort of bludgeons the comedy and fun into non-existence.

I agree with this. I'm 17% through now and I'm just not having fun. There's no standout or fun characters. Where's a Stanley or a Grout? Even Moist is bland. Also the antagonist is radical muslims dwarves?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Canuckistan posted:

I agree with this. I'm 17% through now and I'm just not having fun. There's no standout or fun characters. Where's a Stanley or a Grout? Even Moist is bland. Also the antagonist is radical muslims dwarves?

Pretty much.
I finished it yesterday, and I got the feeling it would have worked better as a collection of short stories, around the ides of the Disc's first train. The actual plot is pretty disjointed, hopping from place to place and mixed in with side-anecdotes and what seems like a 'best-of' collection of characters, without really letting anyone shine.

Still a fun book, with plenty of great moments in it, but the overall narrative was a bit lacking.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

Also the antagonist is radical muslims dwarves?

I kind of thought they were meant to emulate/ be drawn from radical orthodox jews, what with the grags covering themselves up and declaring that the non traditional dwarves in AM and elsewhere were not dwarfish.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Elfface posted:

Pretty much.
I finished it yesterday, and I got the feeling it would have worked better as a collection of short stories, around the ides of the Disc's first train. The actual plot is pretty disjointed, hopping from place to place and mixed in with side-anecdotes and what seems like a 'best-of' collection of characters, without really letting anyone shine.

Still a fun book, with plenty of great moments in it, but the overall narrative was a bit lacking.

Re-read the ending. It reads like a farewell with a new door opening.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Geokinesis posted:

I kind of thought they were meant to emulate/ be drawn from radical orthodox jews, what with the grags covering themselves up and declaring that the non traditional dwarves in AM and elsewhere were not dwarfish.

I don't know much about them, but do radical orthodox jews radicalize younger people into doing the dirty work? I'm away from the book but there's a line about young dwarves being encouraged to attack the towers while the older dwarves do the planning. Perhaps it's not meant to be a specific religion but any radicalized point of view.

In any case I'll slog it out. I missed the Reaper Man reference at the beginning. Can someone refresh my memory?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

In any case I'll slog it out. I missed the Reaper Man reference at the beginning. Can someone refresh my memory?

It's Simnel's dad who built the mechanical harvester thing which inexplicably broke down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Canuckistan posted:

I don't know much about them, but do radical orthodox jews radicalize younger people into doing the dirty work? I'm away from the book but there's a line about young dwarves being encouraged to attack the towers while the older dwarves do the planning. Perhaps it's not meant to be a specific religion but any radicalized point of view.

Your last sentence is 100% correct.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Hadn't that been an ongoing subplot in Fifth Elephant->Thud at least? That people were turning to the old conservative traditions because they are confused and uncertain in the rapidly changing world, with the hardcore conservatives meanwhile are reacting against the changing world by digging their heels in.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
No, no, anything I find different about the new book (no matter if it's been an ongoing theme from earlier books that I forgot about) are simply because of bad editing/it's being ghostwritten/Alzheimers and The One True Book has now gone forever and can never be recaptured.

In other news my copy should be arriving tommorrow, here's hoping it's not as rainy as it was today, I don't want a new book with water damage. :saddowns:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Sapient. Sapient. Sapient.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I'd categorize it as a solid Pratchett book, not one of the best, but still very much worth a read. One issue is that it seems like Pratchett makes references to previous books more and more often nowdays, and in some cases they feel shoehorned in. Harry King is a good example, he's a good character, but I don't know why Pratchett chose to give him such a huge role in this book rather than invent someone new. I think it might be time to step away from Ankh-Morpork for a while and set the next few books somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Konstantin posted:

I'd categorize it as a solid Pratchett book, not one of the best, but still very much worth a read. One issue is that it seems like Pratchett makes references to previous books more and more often nowdays, and in some cases they feel shoehorned in. Harry King is a good example, he's a good character, but I don't know why Pratchett chose to give him such a huge role in this book rather than invent someone new. I think it might be time to step away from Ankh-Morpork for a while and set the next few books somewhere else.

Harry fits the role pretty well though. His rise through society has been a background story through several books now.

I'd like a non-AM book too. I'm not sure where he'd set it though.