Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

uPen posted:

That is correct, the person with the wall needs to discover dynamite to obsolete the wall, it's a little silly.

Wait whaaaaaaaaat? :psyboom: Now I know what research path to ignore for the longest....

KKKlean Energy posted:

That was me, my computer died again, things weren't really going well at all :psyduck:

I guess it just wasn't meant to be :sigh:

I think you could still join us on Sunday, nobody has declared war on the AI substitute yet, we were waiting for you to join back so we decided not to. :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Yeah, AI Attila built a couple wonders for you even! But I think he has like -20 gpt...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I just came across this and it seems relevant to the thread: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/203803/New_studio_from_Civilization_IV_lead_designer_caters_to_PC_strategy_fans.php

Soren Johnson, lead designer of Civ 4, is back from the brink (Zynga) and is ready to make real games again, along with Civ V's art lead. Their first game is an economics focused RTS set on Mars. I'm pretty thrilled about this.

Aw, man. That's one of those things where I'm all excited for a second and then I read 'RTS' and... :negative:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Despite all my braggadocio about my leet Civ5 MP skills on this thread, I am doing terrible :eng99:

You haven't done terrible until you've been three eras behind for most of the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poil posted:

You haven't done terrible until you've been three eras behind for most of the game.

Sounds like that time I played MP with Fargle! :smith:

Edit: Then again that was on Deity and I'm used to playing on King, so... yeah.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Sounds like that time I played MP with Fargle! :smith:

Edit: Then again that was on Deity and I'm used to playing on King, so... yeah.

High five fellow player who has been outfargled! :hfive:

Diety doesn't really do much if there aren't any AI civs in the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I was on some tiny shitball island in the middle of god-gently caress-knows-where with raging barbarians.

It was fun listening to everyone talk poo poo about my plight though :yayclod:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I have fond memories of a silly huge Boreal, no AI and raging barbs game we tried once. It was extremely hard to get more than 2-3 hexes away from your capital. Good times.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

Phobophilia posted:

Despite all my braggadocio about my leet Civ5 MP skills on this thread, I am doing terrible :eng99:

Who are you on Steam?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Fintilgin posted:

Aw, man. That's one of those things where I'm all excited for a second and then I read 'RTS' and... :negative:

To which all I can think of is Rise of Nations/Legends, which was very economics-based whilst still being RTS. I still like watching those games.(Playing, though....I'm fairly terrible. So I watch more than play, or rather I intervene while it plays. More games need that kind of functionality.)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I can't believe I don't know the answer to this, but is there a way to see exactly what techs your opponents have?

Mostly trying to keep an eye on how close Catherine might be to building Wonders before me.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Peas and Rice posted:

I can't believe I don't know the answer to this, but is there a way to see exactly what techs your opponents have?

Mostly trying to keep an eye on how close Catherine might be to building Wonders before me.

Not exactly (as far as I know), but there are clues to be had and you can sometimes build a good picture if you like playing the detective like I sometimes am. The easy one is spotting their units, but that goes without saying. If you have spies, you can do the same for buildings. The demographics screen gives you their percentage (if in the lead) and I believe this translates into a raw number of techs, though the rounding might make that inaccurate (not sure). The diplomacy screen tells you what era they're in. Put all those together and you can kinda work out where they've branched into the tech tree, and therefore find out what techs they might be missing.

But when it comes to wonder-watching, by far the most powerful and easiest method is look at their cities. If they're building a wonder, you'll be able to see their half-built wonder sitting nearby. You might have to zoom in all the way to see it though. And you can see it through the shroud, even if it's been hundreds of turns since you last sighted the city. It's a bit cheesey really, but so god drat useful. The only thing it doesn't tell you is how far they've got, but you can kinda work out how much production they're generating by looking at the city's population + tiles.

vvv Ah yes, I forgot the trade routes. I think that tells you exactly how many techs they are ahead/behind, so much more useful than the demographics screen.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 8, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

KKKlean Energy posted:

Not exactly (as far as I know), but there are clues to be had and you can sometimes build a good picture if you like playing the detective like I sometimes am. The easy one is spotting their units, but that goes without saying. If you have spies, you can do the same for buildings. The demographics screen gives you their percentage (if in the lead) and I believe this translates into a raw number of techs, though the rounding might make that inaccurate (not sure). The diplomacy screen tells you what era they're in. Put all those together and you can kinda work out where they've branched into the tech tree, and therefore find out what techs they might be missing.

But when it comes to wonder-watching, by far the most powerful and easiest method is look at their cities. If they're building a wonder, you'll be able to see their half-built wonder sitting nearby. You might have to zoom in all the way to see it though. And you can see it through the shroud, even if it's been hundreds of turns since you last sighted the city. It's a bit cheesey really, but so god drat useful. The only thing it doesn't tell you is how far they've got, but you can kinda work out how much production they're generating by looking at the city's population + tiles.

You can also make educated guesses based on who they are and what sort of science you're getting out trade routes. Certain AIs tend to focus on the top or bottom of the tech tree, so between that, what units they have and the difference in techs known, it should give you a decent picture.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

wilbur.walsh posted:

Wait whaaaaaaaaat? :psyboom: Now I know what research path to ignore for the longest....
Well speaking in terms of science, Dynamite is one of the lowest-priority techs in the game up to Plastics. It's far away from Scientific Method (for Public Schools) and Archaeology (to speed up the acquisition of Rationalism policies) and, oddly enough, even Industrialism, and if you're waiting until Dynamite to take cities, you're going into war way too late to take advantage of a snowball strategy. It's just a low-priority tech all around, but it has its uses for late-game dick moves.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Ethiopia can get really crazy really fast. It's turn 110 and I have 3 cities, 57 faith per turn and 35 turns till I'm influential over Arabia.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Poil posted:

High five fellow player who has been outfargled! :hfive:

Diety doesn't really do much if there aren't any AI civs in the game.

Deity does increase barb spawns and possibly aggressiveness towards the player (they'll ignore the AI more to go after you)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 8, 2013

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Deity does increase barb spawns.

Interesting. Too bad you can't select a separate difficulty for barbs.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Deity does increase barb spawns and possibly aggressiveness towards the player (they'll ignore the AI more to go after you)
Yeah, difficulty definitely increases barbarian aggressiveness towards the player. Well, I dunno; it might be "reduction" on lower difficulties and it's just "normal" on Deity since on like Settler and Chieftain they won't even enter your territory.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Poil posted:

Interesting. Too bad you can't select a separate difficulty for barbs.

So much this. Then again I play with the infinite xp from barbs mod and the expanded promotions tree. :getin:

And a few other "cheaty" mods, like observatories buildable two tiles from a mountain, all scouts get to choose goody hut reward, all terrain improvements buildable by everyone, and espionage turned off. On king. I like winning I guess.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012
The difficulty level also affects some other things, like the amount of happiness you start with, and how much unhappiness is generated by population and city count, although for most things the values are the same for all the difficulties above Warlord.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Caconym posted:

So much this. Then again I play with the infinite xp from barbs mod and the expanded promotions tree. :getin:

And a few other "cheaty" mods, like observatories buildable two tiles from a mountain, all scouts get to choose goody hut reward, all terrain improvements buildable by everyone, and espionage turned off. On king. I like winning I guess.

I feel like a massive cheater when I use a mod to give IBCMs longer range, because I know the AI isn't quite adapted to it. However, I've never seen an AI actually launch a nuclear attack, probably because I always obliterate or appease anyone that completes the Manhattan Project. How many people here have been nuked? Is there a message that pops up to tell you it happened?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Most civs aren't very eager to nuke.

Cathy ain't one of them. During the end-game boredom war I had with her, she mercilessly nuked her own cities after I had conquered them. I got a little message telling me someone had launched a nuclear attack on me and I was a little sad.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I feel like a massive cheater when I use a mod to give IBCMs longer range, because I know the AI isn't quite adapted to it. However, I've never seen an AI actually launch a nuclear attack, probably because I always obliterate or appease anyone that completes the Manhattan Project. How many people here have been nuked? Is there a message that pops up to tell you it happened?

I actually started getting theese mods after an ill-fated game on prince when I had been skirmishing with Catherine all game, but never wiped her out because I was going for science and didn't particularly want her cities.

A new war was looming with military buildup along the border. I had rocket artillery in all my cities and wasn't unduely concerned.

She declared war and then withdrew her units from the border into the fog of war.
Next turn she nuked me 4 times and wiped out my airforce, then her 10 bombers came out and bombed my damaged units to hell. Then she invaded.
I bought new units, just to have them wiped out by more nukes two turns later. :argh:

No message neccesary, the camera snaps to a nuke same as with any other combat. You'll know it happens...

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Is there a message that pops up to tell you it happened?

I've been nuked, I think, two or three times in 1445 hours of Civ V. There wasn't a popup that I noticed, just the sound effect of dozens of tiles being pillaged at once. Of course, I've had Quick Combat on for over a year; probably if combat animations are playing it would show that one to you just like it shows you all of the AI's attacks.

Nukes aren't actually super great just by themselves. I mean, it damages the city, wipes out units that happen to be in the area, and pillages tiles, but the AI has never hit any of my army-carpets, except for a few units on the edge one time. It also failed to follow up a nuke with a decisive invasion against my now-severely-damaged and virtually-undefended cities.

Unless you're glassing half an empire with city-destroying concentrated nuclear bombardments*, targeting an enemy army, or waiting with a decisive followup, nukes more or less just pillage tiles and spread fallout everywhere.

*the best use of nuclear weapons

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

LonsomeSon posted:

Unless you're glassing half an empire with city-destroying concentrated nuclear bombardments*, targeting an enemy army, or waiting with a decisive followup, nukes more or less just pillage tiles and spread fallout everywhere.

*the best use of nuclear weapons

I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of best nukes, but unit carpet nukes may be the more effective choice.
Disappearing every unit 19 tiles at a time typically means "war is over, you won"

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
More fun with Landsknechts: go Freedom, take Army of Democracy, then be able to grab a quick 20 influence for 130 gold in emergencies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In a post-game war with America, they did hit my army carpet with a few nukes, so it does happen.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Brave New World gets a lot of things right with ideology, but the game needs a way to start the Cold War more consistently. I still love the idea of ICBMs that automatically launch at an enemy city (designated by player, or random by default) when a nuke is headed towards them.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

random by default

Truly random, including City-States and cities belonging to the same Civ which owns the counter-missile!

Seriously, though, something like this would make an AI which has a nuclear stockpile something to actually consider, instead of just vaporizing its nuclear depot city right off the bat.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Brave New World gets a lot of things right with ideology, but the game needs a way to start the Cold War more consistently. I still love the idea of ICBMs that automatically launch at an enemy city (designated by player, or random by default) when a nuke is headed towards them.

This would only work if you made them crazy powerful, and much like a single unit represents an entire army of those units, a single nuke should represent multiple weapons in a stockpile. So a dozen ICBMs back and forth in game should represent the release of the US and Russia's entire stockpiles. Really, for M.A.D. to be effective, you need a solid dose of D. Aside from pure military destruction, you'd need to bring back the effect where various plots on the map are turned into desert or snow as well.

Supersheep
Nov 11, 2009
I once saw Korea, with their one city, nuke the crap out of a gigantic Rome after being bullied by them the entire game. Naturally, I swept in and did a little clean-up. :getin:

It seems like the general consensus is that Rationalism is the best policy tree for just about anything, but I can't be alone in ignoring it if I'm not going for a Science Victory? I just finished a game where I completely dominated in every aspect, and reached the atomic era before most civs were in the Industrial. The only extra science I got was from the one policy in Commerce, and I generated a total of 1 Great Scientist throughout the game.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I wish I could leave on all combat animations except the bombers. They just take ten times longer than anything else I've seen.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SlightlyMadman posted:

This would only work if you made them crazy powerful, and much like a single unit represents an entire army of those units, a single nuke should represent multiple weapons in a stockpile. So a dozen ICBMs back and forth in game should represent the release of the US and Russia's entire stockpiles. Really, for M.A.D. to be effective, you need a solid dose of D. Aside from pure military destruction, you'd need to bring back the effect where various plots on the map are turned into desert or snow as well.

I agree. Right now nukes feel like an overpowered bomber, and not the apocalyptic "oh crap" weapons that they should be.

revtoiletduck posted:

I wish I could leave on all combat animations except the bombers. They just take ten times longer than anything else I've seen.

Selective combat animations would be nice. When I get into a big late-game war, I don't want to watch every single fight but the Giant Death Robot is too cool to turn off.

edit: While I'm dreaming, simultaneous attack animations would be the greatest thing ever.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
The only animations I'd like to leave on is nukes because I honestly sometimes don't notice when it happens

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Cynic Jester posted:

You can also make educated guesses based on who they are and what sort of science you're getting out trade routes. Certain AIs tend to focus on the top or bottom of the tech tree, so between that, what units they have and the difference in techs known, it should give you a decent picture.

Sweet, thanks. I never thought about zooming in to see half-built Wonders before (although it makes perfect sense). I guess I know what to use my Engineers to rush then when the time comes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I just won my first King victory. What's a good civ for an easy domination victory? I haven't won one since BNW came out.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

StashAugustine posted:

I just won my first King victory. What's a good civ for an easy domination victory? I haven't won one since BNW came out.
Polynesia's not bad because you can clear a Domination by late Medieval regardless of the map type, but you might as well play around with the Zulu and their cheap upgrades on a Pangaea map.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've read some interesting strategies from this thread, but I was wondering if there was a compendium of reliable/fun methods of playing. I know we're all familiar with the general four city build, but I'm thinking along the lines of Shoshone city spam and the Babylon early tech rush. Things that are more niche, but satisfying the pull off.

Any suggestions?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, Venice can sit there with two cities all game, building up money from 10 trade routes and never going to war with anyone. Eventually World Congress will come up, which you'll make a mockery of by buying everyone's city-states away from them, and then you laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

I got nuked by a runaway Spain once, that was embarassing. My entire strategy had hinged at that point on getting nukes and obliterating them but they responded with their own strike. Then I ragequit the game.

• Locked thread