Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Going back to my Roger Stern Avengers post from further up the page, I've recently seen that there's a new Avengers TPB called Absolute Vision, Book 1 which will collect #231 through to #241, which is the start of Stern's run (the already released The Trial Of Yellowjacket trade collects issues up as far as #230, while The Once and Future Kang and Heavy Metal trades cover the last parts of his run). Should we take this to mean that Stern's tenure is going to be collected and that "Under Siege" and "Assault On Olympus" are probably gonna be reprinted at some point further down the line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Probably will be Marvel Epic'd. Think Marvel Essentials but in colour and hella cheap.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't remember, are we getting a Morrison Doom Patrol omnibus at some point?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Supposedly in 2014, yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It was rumored like two years ago, hopefully we still get it.

Glenn Danzig
Jan 4, 2006
Is it time to be an android not a man

Rhyno posted:

It was rumored like two years ago, hopefully we still get it.

At this point it's much more than a rumor. DC has released preliminary info to the public.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Got to meet Neal Adams this past weekend, he is one of the NICEST people I have ever had the pleasure of talking to.

Got him to autograph my TPB of Odyssey, and got Batman Illustrated (Neal Adam's Work) With a Personalized Batman Sketch inside the cover.

(I have a Nerd Boner)

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, this would be a buzzkill post, except maybe you can enjoy the benefits of my neuroses! I'm selling my hardcopy comic HC/TPBs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583322
(I think it is okay to have this crosspost? Let me know if not.)

I loved the idea of gorgeous hardcover comics sets and so on, but I was stressing about keeping them in good condition and reluctant to read them--not even opening the sealed ones, generally. It was ridiculous. (These were generally comics I'd read before, borrowed or from the library or whatnot, so I wasn't denying myself the story--but still. Digital purchasing is clearly more my speed.)

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 8, 2013

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

onefish posted:

Okay, this would be a buzzkill post, except maybe you can enjoy the benefits of my neuroses! I'm selling my hardcopy comic HC/TPBs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3583322
(I think it is okay to have this crosspost? Let me know if not.)

I loved the idea of gorgeous hardcover comics sets and so on, but I was stressing about keeping them in good condition and reluctant to read them--not even opening the sealed ones, generally. It was ridiculous. (These were generally comics I'd read before, borrowed or from the library or whatnot, so I wasn't denying myself the story--but still. Digital purchasing is clearly more my speed.)

Kinda want the Y: The last man stuff, but unsure about how to go about purchasing, also I need to streamline my collection this year after visiting comic-con.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Slayer1597 posted:

Kinda want the Y: The last man stuff, but unsure about how to go about purchasing, also I need to streamline my collection this year after visiting comic-con.

I could PM you if you have PMs, or you could PM me? Otherwise, just post in the SA-mart thread or we could email -- I don't want to clog up this thread.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Hot-Cha! I today learned that Joe Casey's Uncanny X-Men run is coming out in one big trade this month. I was literally just about to buy the back issues, too.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!

redbackground posted:

Hot-Cha! I today learned that Joe Casey's Uncanny X-Men run is coming out in one big trade this month. I was literally just about to buy the back issues, too.

Dang that seems expensive but that was my first X-Men run and I love it and I think I'm going to have to get that. Is that Annual the side ways one I hope its still side ways.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Dang that seems expensive but that was my first X-Men run and I love it and I think I'm going to have to get that. Is that Annual the side ways one I hope its still side ways.
It is--New X-Men handled its sideways 2001 annual just fine in the trades, so don't worry about that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

redbackground posted:

I've actually not read that one. I think it was concurrent with the first part of Morrison's run on New X-Men? Is it any good?

(Still hoping an Alan Davis collection might be on the cards myself!)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

redbackground posted:

Sweet, I'm a huge mark for Joe Casey's work so I'm down for this book!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

That came out here last week I think... My store had it, anyway.

Metal Loaf posted:

I've actually not read that one. I think it was concurrent with the first part of Morrison's run on New X-Men? Is it any good?

(Still hoping an Alan Davis collection might be on the cards myself!)
It has some neat ideas... parts of it are good, parts of it are bad (gently caress you, Stacey X). I really liked the X-Corps storyline and kinda wish it had been picked up more after Casey left. Morrison kinda did, turning it into X-Corporation or whatever. It was pretty much dropped after he finished his run, though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I remember the issue with Nightcrawler was amazing and one of the best uses of the characters in a long time.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Isnt this the Joe Casey story where Angel fucks Husk in the sky or something like that?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

^burtle posted:

Isnt this the Joe Casey story where Angel fucks Husk in the sky or something like that?

That is Austen and you should never confuse the two.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah Austen took over directly after Casey

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard Casey was taken off the book because he'd developed a drug problem which was adversely affecting his work. Is that true?

(I've also heard that the reason he started using them was to compete with Grant Morrison, which I find slightly less convincing)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

While we're on the topic, what are some other good X-Men collections that don't involve Claremont? I've got the Morrison/Whedon omnibii, but that's basically it.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Your gonna want to pick up this sucker when it drops in March.

Most recently, I liked Si Spurier's "X-Club" a lot, and I haven't read much of Carey's run but I thought "Age of X" was a pretty great "alternate reality but not really" story with some solid character work. The current "X-Men: Legacy" has the former's writer and picks up plot threads from the latter, and gets great reviews around here.

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 9, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, sorry, I should mention I've read pretty much every X-Men comic and spin-off made in the last few years, including UXF and Legacy. IIRC I started around the time of Gillen's run, and I've read all the major crossovers since House of M.

I meant older, lesser known stuff like that Casey run, since other than Morrison/Whedon, Claremont's pretty much the only X-Men writer I've been exposed to prior to House of M. I mainly collect larger trades/hardcovers, so if there are any other good runs like those, I definitely want to pick them up.

I'm going through Amazon right now and I'm gonna pick up that Casey trade, but I'm wondering if there's anything else. Is Fraction's run any good?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 9, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've mentioned that I quite like the Alan Davis run from the late 1990s. Unfortunately, he doesn't draw all of it, and it's not a lot of readers' cup of tea, but part of it has been collected in trades: Magneto: Rogue Nation, The Shattering, X-Men vs Apocalypse Vol. 1: The Twelve, X-Men vs Apocalypse Vol. 2: Ages of Apocalypse and Powerless.

That's not the whole run, unfortunately, and a couple of them are pretty hard to get hold of...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm going through Amazon right now and I'm gonna pick up that Casey trade, but I'm wondering if there's anything else. Is Fraction's run any good?

I don't particularly think so.

Supernovas is absolutely worth getting if you've never read it. I also really like X-Cutioner's Song but I'm willing to admit nostalgia plays into that pretty heavily.

It's not strictly X-Men, but David Tischman and Igor Kordey's Cable runs are some of the great unsung x-books, although once it turns into Soldier X you gotta track down floppies as its never been collected.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 9, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Age of Apocalypse is a big dumb story but it's pretty fun, still.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I don't particularly think so.

Supernovas is absolutely worth getting if you've never read it. I also really like X-Cutioner's Song but I'm willing to admit nostalgia plays into that pretty heavily.

It's not strictly X-Men, but David Tischman and Igor Kordey's Cable runs are some of the great unsung x-books, although once it turns into Soldier X you gotta track down floppies as its never been collected.

These are great recs, thanks. I added Supernovas to my order and will pick up the others soon!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

These are great recs, thanks. I added Supernovas to my order and will pick up the others soon!
Supernovas is pretty great; spring for the OSHC if you can--Bachalo's art pops like nothing else biggie-sized.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

redbackground posted:

Supernovas is pretty great; spring for the OSHC if you can--Bachalo's art pops like nothing else biggie-sized.

Yeah that OSHC is one of my favorite hardcovers that I own. I still wish Bachalo's run had been able to continue in that vein a little longer before getting kiboshed by Messiah Complex, but whatareyagonnado?

Since this is the thread for it, I just preordered the Hawkeye v.1 OSHC and the reprint of the Miller Daredevil Omnibus. Both of which I'm pretty excited for, although I'm kinda worried - does that Miller Daredevil omnibus feature crappy gradient recoloring like the most recent edition of the TPBs?

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 9, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
So it seems very apparent that Paul Dini's 2010-2011 Zatanna Volume 1 is quite rare. I can't find it anywhere online available to the UK and the very few US outlets have it for $60+ - so the best I can do is read the first issues digitally via the ComiXology app, but Volume 2 seems to be in abundance. As much as I'd rather buy and read Vol.1 first, it's just far too unavailable and expensive for me just now, but I'm curious how self-contained Vol.2 is? I can get it relatively cheap and I'd love to have some Zatanna in my collection.

My alternative to reading them digitally or hunting down a Vol.1 somewhere is to just buy single issues on eBay and what not, as they still seem far more available than the actual paperback. I did read the first few issues digitally (hence my interest) but I don't really like digital as much, not to mention my Nexus 7's screen is half the size of an actual comic page.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
The second volume is fairly self contained and in my opinion is a little more entertaining than the first. It references events in the first volume briefly but it's not anything that contributes much to pushing the story along. I just took both of them off my shelf and flipped through them and I remember enjoying the second volume much more than the first. I would say just get the second and enjoy it :)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ShortStack posted:

The second volume is fairly self contained and in my opinion is a little more entertaining than the first. It references events in the first volume briefly but it's not anything that contributes much to pushing the story along. I just took both of them off my shelf and flipped through them and I remember enjoying the second volume much more than the first. I would say just get the second and enjoy it :)

A big part of the story was left unresolved though.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I don't understand why they'll have vol 1 in a series out of print but continue to print the rest of the series. It's been like that for O'Niel's Question run for years now.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Alhazred posted:

A big part of the story was left unresolved though.

Is that due to the New 52? I was hoping Zatanna would be back in her own run for the New 52 but I've read she's just part of Justice League Dark now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Senor Candle posted:

I don't understand why they'll have vol 1 in a series out of print but continue to print the rest of the series. It's been like that for O'Niel's Question run for years now.

Same deal with the John Byrne Man of Steel trades, I believe.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Annihilation Omnibus
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/07851...richjohnston-20

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

No details so I'm assuming it's just Annihilation, not Conquest? Makes me really hopeful for a GotG Omni!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard Valentino's GOTG run is getting released in TPB format next year as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
I'm not sure why I never considered this before, but do paperbacks and hardcovers ever go on sale on Amazon the way movies do? Are there ever deals of the week or anything like that?