Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Action Tortoise posted:

How can your own teammates push you when friendlies have no collision?

You DO pass through teammates, but if you stand sort-of inside them you push them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Action Tortoise posted:

How can you push your own teammates push you when friendlies have no collision?

Friendly melee weapons can push you a little bit at a time. There's nothing like stepping away from the PC with your guy still in the spawn room, then coming back five minutes later to discover your team has pushed you all the way out to a point that you're currently capping.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lord Chumley posted:

You DO pass through teammates, but if you stand sort-of inside them you push them.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Lizard Wizard posted:

What the gently caress line of code is that? :stare:

The funniest part about it is that I had to update my game before playing it so I was getting either the "staircase made of brushes" or the "broken rear end" glitch. Luckily, the "item duplication" glitch is still unpatched.

I couldn't even muster up enough rage to flip out on the game, I was laughing too hard at the irony of it all. I like to think the guy who knew about that glitch found out he was getting laid off and just walked away from his cubicle with his middle fingers in the air.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Action Tortoise posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

The funniest part about it is that I had to update my game before playing it so I was getting either the "staircase made of brushes" or the "broken rear end" glitch. Luckily, the "item duplication" glitch is still unpatched.

I couldn't even muster up enough rage to flip out on the game, I was laughing too hard at the irony of it all. I like to think the guy who knew about that glitch found out he was getting laid off and just walked away from his cubicle with his middle fingers in the air.

No, he probably just sent it on to the "How can we sell this as a 'feature' so we don't have to fix it?" department at Bethesda. Don't get me wrong, I love Bethesda's franchises but I can't imagine anyone would leave over a glitch considering how many game breaking bugs are in nearly everything they touch.

For instance, I was playing New Vegas yesterday and had to reload an old save because my character got stuck in some rocks I was climbing. As in their body fused with the rock somehow. And then another because I got stuck in some weird midair swimming animation that I couldn't escape from. :ughh:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Kimmalah posted:

No, he probably just sent it on to the "How can we sell this as a 'feature' so we don't have to fix it?" department at Bethesda. Don't get me wrong, I love Bethesda's franchises but I can't imagine anyone would leave over a glitch considering how many game breaking bugs are in nearly everything they touch.

For instance, I was playing New Vegas yesterday and had to reload an old save because my character got stuck in some rocks I was climbing. As in their body fused with the rock somehow. And then another because I got stuck in some weird midair swimming animation that I couldn't escape from. :ughh:
While I eventually gave up on Fallout 3 due to the quicksave bug making it unplayable, I embrace the glitches in New Vegas as a sort of After the Bombs Fell, presented by Franz Kafka sort of way. It seems less like incompetent programming and more like you're at the incomprehensible whims of a malicious god.

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Weird poo poo won't stop happening to me with every game I play lately. WWE 14 and now Call of Duty: Ghosts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDoU3Y5urgc Spoiler warning. Not really anything in the video that spoils, but just in case.

Better quality this time. Still recording my drat TV though. At this rate I should just buy a capture card. And also play better games, I guess. :(

Edit: And I didn't get it on film, but Riley and all enemy weapons were also missing for that level.

Several Goblins has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Nov 9, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

While I eventually gave up on Fallout 3 due to the quicksave bug making it unplayable, I embrace the glitches in New Vegas as a sort of After the Bombs Fell, presented by Franz Kafka sort of way. It seems less like incompetent programming and more like you're at the incomprehensible whims of a malicious god.

I guess some glitches (like the way scorpions tend to hideously deform after death) you could blame on radiation or something. But being at the whims of a malicious god sounds more like Elder Scrolls daedra stuff to me. Or I guess that's where stuff like CHIM would come into play.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kimmalah posted:

I guess some glitches (like the way scorpions tend to hideously deform after death) you could blame on radiation or something. But being at the whims of a malicious god sounds more like Elder Scrolls daedra stuff to me. Or I guess that's where stuff like CHIM would come into play.

The one glitch I remember from FO3 was seeing a giant tear in the skybox. This big black smear cut across the clouds. It was like the fragile layer of reality was breached and all I could see was that poo poo Lovecraft tried unsuccessfully to put into words.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

While playing Assassin's Creed IV, I somehow got Edward so confused about where I wanted him to go that he rocketed up into space before plummeting back to earth. I couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You're lucky, I once had Ezio fly to the goddamn moon.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 11:27 on Nov 11, 2013

Rujo King
Jun 28, 2007

I say old chap have you any of the good sort of catnip if you know what I mean... harrumphaarmaammhhhmm

Too bad you didn't film the part where he descended from the heavens to reign in glory.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Landerig posted:

Double post, but I found a hilarious video featuring Silent hill corruptions.

It gets loud in spots, just FYI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebkjAVjCJ50

I like how some of it isn't really out of the ordinary for Silent Hill, like spider-limbs Cybil.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
So I found this tutorial about modifying animations for Oblivion.
I tried to give a dog a more curled up tail:

I noticed that he sort of sank into the ground a bit at the front.
I went into Niffskope and changed a rotation setting and -

Problem solved.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

A rocking horse :downsrim:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How does that horse glitch even happen? How is it even possible? It's a scripted event that is supposed to be the exact same every time and it's at the absolute beginning of the game so no player input can be made to screw it up at that point.

It would be like if in the Half-Life 1 intro, the tram you ride in mostly does what it's supposed to but every now and then it would randomly decide to just flip out and spin around while clipping through walls.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GreatGreen posted:

How is it even possible? It's a scripted event that is supposed to be the exact same every time and it's at the absolute beginning of the game so no player input can be made to screw it up at that point.

Have you played a Bethesda game before?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

How does that horse glitch even happen? How is it even possible? It's a scripted event that is supposed to be the exact same every time and it's at the absolute beginning of the game so no player input can be made to screw it up at that point.

It would be like if in the Half-Life 1 intro, the tram you ride in mostly does what it's supposed to but every now and then it would randomly decide to just flip out and spin around while clipping through walls.

Bethesda games are held together by chewing gum and hope. Sometimes they just break with no warning and it's a grand, magical experience.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

GreatGreen posted:

New Vegas has a glitch in its intro as well.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

It's not quite random, but I remember messing around in that tram as a child, as I was bored waiting for the game to actually start. You can crouch-jump out of the back window if you time it right, and run along the track. You'll never be able to get back in, and the game is now unwinnable. Of course, you can just start again, and not move, and you'll just have to wait a few minutes to get where you're meant to go.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No, I get what he means. All the variables should be exactly the same every time the intro plays, right? The only thing you can do as a player is look around and listen, so I don't understand what could be causing these glitches. Note that I know almost nothing about programming.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Phlegmish posted:

No, I get what he means. All the variables should be exactly the same every time the intro plays, right? The only thing you can do as a player is look around and listen, so I don't understand what could be causing these glitches. Note that I know almost nothing about programming.

Sometimes the game becomes self aware.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
Gamebryo. The answer is always Gamebryo.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phlegmish posted:

The thing about modern game engines is that they have a colossal number of components all independently doing their thing. I do mean independently: the update rate for physics is usually decoupled from the renderer's redraw rate, which is decoupled from pathfinding updates, and so on. If the designers aren't absolutely top notch and very, very careful it's entirely possible to end up with all kinda of bizarre race conditions. These can frequently be extremely difficult to reproduce and track down, so when it's a one in ten thousand and only when the moon is full sort of thing the only sensible thing to do is chalk that bug up under the "gently caress it, not fixing" column.

slingshot effect posted:

Gamebryo. The answer is always Gamebryo.

For as long as they've been using Gamebryo they've been gradually rewriting bits and pieces. By the time Skyrim got going all that was left was some rendering crap, but even that was rewritten before release. All those bugs are pure, home-grown Bethesda. :haw:

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Nov 21, 2013

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks for the explanation, I figured it was something like that.

I didn't mind the animation glitches in Skyrim, those were just funny. What annoyed me was some quests getting bugged and staying in your journal forever if you talked to the wrong person at the wrong time. :argh:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bussamove posted:

Bethesda games are held together by chewing gum and hope. Sometimes they just break with no warning and it's a grand, magical experience.

As long as it's not a crippling game-breaking bug, the weird glitches are part of the fun for me. It's not really a Bethesda game until you've fallen through the map at least once. :haw:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Brofessor Slayton posted:

It's not quite random, but I remember messing around in that tram as a child, as I was bored waiting for the game to actually start. You can crouch-jump out of the back window if you time it right, and run along the track. You'll never be able to get back in, and the game is now unwinnable. Of course, you can just start again, and not move, and you'll just have to wait a few minutes to get where you're meant to go.

On that note, in Black Mesa (the Source engine HL remake), I managed to gib myself by jumping onto the office chair behind the front desk.
Also, in Blue Shift, I tried crouch-jumping through the "teller window" to your right in the first room of the game and gibbed myself.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

For whatever reason, everything in Skyrim plays at triple speed on my brother's computer. Everything moves three times as fast, and though the voice lines aren't sped up to match, they all overlap each other. The intro is completely incoherent. I don't know whether it's a known bug, or just a freak occurrence on his computer, but it's as good an introduction to Bethesda as any.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The thing about modern game engines is that they have a colossal number of components all independently doing their thing. I do mean independently: the update rate for physics is usually decoupled from the renderer's redraw rate, which is decoupled from pathfinding updates, and so on. If the designers aren't absolutely top notch and very, very careful it's entirely possible to end up with all kinda of bizarre race conditions. These can frequently be extremely difficult to reproduce and track down, so when it's a one in ten thousand and only when the moon is full sort of thing the only sensible thing to do is chalk that bug up under the "gently caress it, not fixing" column.

For as long as they've been using Gamebryo they've been gradually rewriting bits and pieces. By the time Skyrim got going all that was left was some rendering crap, but even that was rewritten before release. All those bugs are pure, home-grown Bethesda. :haw:

I like to think that, no matter what, the spirit of Gamebryo will live on in all Bethesda games.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pneub posted:

On that note, in Black Mesa (the Source engine HL remake), I managed to gib myself by jumping onto the office chair behind the front desk.
Also, in Blue Shift, I tried crouch-jumping through the "teller window" to your right in the first room of the game and gibbed myself.

Here's a great Black Mesa glitch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHKBio4KOKo

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Pneub posted:

Desk chairs are loving deadly, man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW9vJfI3Nns

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

I fuckin knew it man.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
From Steam thread:

Yodzilla posted:

I've only seen one bug being reported and it's pretty goddamn hilarious:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wow, they sure changed a lot for the HD Myst remake.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Kennel posted:

From Steam thread:

Better Video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0S50HNvYTI

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Not really sure this is a glitch since I'm just messing with the skeletons and stuff but...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

These can frequently be extremely difficult to reproduce and track down, so when it's a one in ten thousand and only when the moon is full sort of thing the only sensible thing to do is chalk that bug up under the "gently caress it, not fixing" column.
Fun trivia: Apparently the "official" name/eupherism for the "gently caress it, not fixing" column, at least at EA, is "Known Shippable".

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Despite the glitch, it's pretty impressive that they solved the age old video game problem with ships and water. You normally can't go under deck in ships because the water is usually just a flat plane that the ship goes through, apparently that is not the case with that engine...is it voxel based or something?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Autechresaint posted:

Despite the glitch, it's pretty impressive that they solved the age old video game problem with ships and water. You normally can't go under deck in ships because the water is usually just a flat plane that the ship goes through, apparently that is not the case with that engine...is it voxel based or something?

It's just a rendering trick. The plane of water is still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011