Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

It was posted on at least two long established NDF Facebook pages and their YouTube accounts, so it appears genuine.

Could you link to their youtube account? A quick search yields all kinds of stuff that I'm not sure about. I (obviously) haven't spent much time watching these videos before, so I'm inclined to trust basically nothing from any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Is that UMLACA fired from the Iranian Falaq-2 launcher, or something else?

I'm off the opinion its fired from a launcher that's around 360mm wide, while the Falaq 2 is 333mm wide.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The "Brown Moses Blog", if that is its real name

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

I'm enjoying reading this

What remarkable insight by a reporter working for both PressTV and Russia Today.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Looks like Israel isn't the only state in the region busy building walls:

the guardian posted:

Turkey's new border wall angers Kurds on both sides of Syrian divide
Locals shocked at building of 'unnecessary and divisive' new border wall, which they claims risks Kurdish peace talks

The Turkish authorities have started erecting a wall on the frontier with Syria in what is being seen as an attempt to divide the Kurdish majority populations on both sides of the border, prompting protests and hunger strikes, and jeopardising peace talks.

Without informing the local government in the town of Nusaybin in south-eastern Turkey, the authorities sent in construction crews recently to start erecting a two-metre-high wall on the border with Qamishli in north-eastern Syria. The sudden building project is stoking fears that more walls are planned.

The Nusaybin mayor, Ayse Gökkan, has spent several days on a "death fast" at the site this week in protest at what she calls the "wall of shame". About 50 others joined the hunger strike, according to local reports, and a big protest march is planned against alleged anti-Kurdish provocation.

According to Turkish newspaper reports on Friday morning, the wall construction has been stopped temporarily and mayor has stopped her hunger strike.

The Turkish interior ministry said last month the wall was being built "for security reasons", and to curb smuggling and illegal crossings, allegations that Kurdish community leaders on both sides of the frontier dispute strongly.

"There have never been fire fights across this border," Gökkan said. "The terrain is completely flat and can be easily monitored. There are landmines. This is probably the safest bit of our border with Syria."

Gökkan is from the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy party (BDP), while Qamishli and its surroundings are currently controlled by the Democratic Union Party (PYD), the biggest Kurdish political group in Syria.

"Why do they not build walls further west, where rebel fighters and al-Qaida are allowed to cross the border freely?" Gökkan asked.

She was also angry at a lack of consultation. "One morning we were told that construction machines had damaged a water pipe close to the municipality building. There was a construction crew, digging without authorisation, and without our knowledge."

All Gökkan's inquiries to ministries and government offices went unanswered. "I learned about the wall from the newspapers," she said. Most locals strongly oppose what they see as an attempt to divide their community. "We don't call it Nusaybin and Qamishli, or Turkey and Syria," said one woman who wished to remain anonymous. "It has always been 'this side of the fence' and 'the other side of the fence'. We are all inter-married, we all have family on the other side. Many have dual citizenship. This wall is an effort to separate Kurds in the region, and nothing else."

The mayor warned that the anti-Kurdish move could sabotage ongoing peace talks between Ankara and the Kurdish militants of the PKK aimed at ending the 30-year-old Kurdish insurgency in Turkey.

"The wall is a declaration of war against Kurds by the Turkish government," she said. "What kind of peace are they trying to achieve by driving a wall between us?"

Many on both sides of the frontier see the wall as the latest evidence of perceived Turkish government support for Islamist groups such as Jabhat al-Nusra and the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant who have been attacking Kurdish villages in Syria, killing and displacing thousands, while also fighting the Assad regime.

Many Syrian Kurds who have fled to Turkey are angry too.

"We don't want this," a 56-year-old woman explained. "It is reassuring to know that the rest of your family is right there in Qamishli. The wall would cut us off completely from our relatives. Three of my daughters are still in Syria."

"If a wall now goes up between me and them, I would constantly worry at every gunshot, every explosion that I hear without being able to see Qamishli."

Ismail Boubi, head of a local Syrian-Turkish aid organisation who fled Syria for Nusaybin 14 years ago, demanded that the wall be halted, the minefields cleared and the barbed wire dismantled.

"Refugees scramble through dangerous territory to get here. It is extremely hard to get aid into the north-eastern part of Syria. If the border was open, people would not have to resort to smuggling, and they would also go back to their own towns much faster.

"The construction of the wall demolishes democracy. This is not what we need. We need more trust, more freedom, and more co-operation."

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Count Roland posted:

Could you link to their youtube account? A quick search yields all kinds of stuff that I'm not sure about. I (obviously) haven't spent much time watching these videos before, so I'm inclined to trust basically nothing from any of them.

Here's the NDF's YouTube channel, and the post on their Facebook page.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Schisser posted:

Looks like Israel isn't the only state in the region which is busy building walls:

Well at least Turkey has more of a reason than Israel, as they've actually been shelled by the Syrian military due to the refugees from Syria.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

Well at least Turkey has more of a reason than Israel, as they've actually been shelled by the Syrian military due to the refugees from Syria.

Seems pretty reasonable until you notice that Turkey isn't constructing walls in the border towns that were attacked. And I doubt that the Kurds who are controlling northeastern Syria are interested in attacking their own people in Turkey.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

For what it's worth the Kurdish community in Norway is flipping the gently caress out. They aren't *quite* on the side-with-Assad level, but they're close. They detest Turkey and they really loathe the Syrian opposition. This is a really bad move by Turkey, but Turkish policy towards the Kurds has been vile since the beginning, so I guess it's par for the course now that EU membership isn't looking so attractive.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've just been put in contact with the photographer who is doing the New Yorker piece, looks like I'll get to look awesome.

Kafrenbel has also given it's judgement on Mother Agnes

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 8, 2013

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Appreciated, thanks.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Count Roland posted:

Appreciated, thanks.

IF you check their Likes then they link to other NDF pages for different regions.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Schisser posted:

Seems pretty reasonable until you notice that Turkey isn't constructing walls in the border towns that were attacked. And I doubt that the Kurds who are controlling northeastern Syria are interested in attacking their own people in Turkey.

Kurdish nationalism has really been gaining ground recently. The collapse of the Iraqi state has left Iraqi Kurdistan as a bastion of (almost) peace and prosperity. The war in Syria has let Kurds make significant gains there as well. Kurdistan may not exist on paper as a nation, but the reality is getting closer to that. I think the Turks are really just making it very clear what territory they (theoretically) control, so they don't start to look weak in that area.

There's even been trouble with the Kurds in Iran; several were executed there in recent days, even though the Kurdish area in Iran has been very quiet for some time now.

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

I've just been put in contact with the photographer who is doing the New Yorker piece, looks like I'll get to look awesome.

See if you can do the shirt off, arms-framing-head pose for the piece.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Let's take a quick poll here. What would be the best thing for Syria right now?

A. military intervention
B. a diplomatic solution
C. more aid for refugees
D. an outbreak of polio

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/07/world/middleeast/who-escalates-polio-fight-in-reinfected-mideast.html

:sigh:

Look, if the rebels and protesters had rolled over and let Assad gas them all this wouldn't have happened

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

The thing I love most about Syrian Partisan Girl is that her twitter bio says "Fallujah, the fire in my heart." Has anyone ever pointed out to her that there's probably more than a few Sunni veterans of the battle of Fallujah in Syria fighting to overthrow Assad?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Schisser posted:

Yeah, the wall has been generating quite a lot of anger recently as it's seen as a desperate move by Turkey to shore up it's borders as the peace talks with the PKK continue to collapse in slow motion. For anyone who's not been keeping up Erdogan unveiled his much-vaunted (and delayed) reform package that was meant to placate growing resentment that the Turkish government had not lived up to it's side of the peace deal, needless to say the package fell short of a lot of people's expectations (though it was still much more substantial than any previous reforms). The PKK had already halted it's withdrawl and now the entire peace process is in a kind of limbo.

In other news Saleh Muslim, one of the most senior leaders of the PYD, has claimed that Turkish support for jihadist groups has dried up in recent weeks.

"Al-Monitor posted:

The biggest news that Muslim delivered was that Turkey’s alleged proxy war against the PYD might be over. Fresh fighting erupted between the YPG and ISIS around the border town of Ras al-Ain in late October. Yet, according to Muslim, “There have been no jihadist fighters coming from Turkey as before. Turkey has ended its support for the jihadists. That is how things look now and we very much hope this state of affairs will continue.”

If it's true this may be a sign Turkey is backing away from Syria in general, considering the PYD generally take every opportunity to accuse Turkey of assisting jihadists it is an unusual thing for a PYD spokesman to say

Count Roland posted:

There's even been trouble with the Kurds in Iran; several were executed there in recent days, even though the Kurdish area in Iran has been very quiet for some time now.

PJAK's statements in the wake of the executions really did catch me by surprise, I for one thought that they had worked out a deal with the Iranians after the 2011 raids that amounted to "We'll leave you alone and bother Turkey if you leave us alone". There have been quite a lot of rumours floating around that Iran has been assisting the PYD in Syria as well, it's weird to see them provoke PJAK if they want to keep the Kurdish focused on Syria/Turkey.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 8, 2013

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

suboptimal posted:

The thing I love most about Syrian Partisan Girl is that her twitter bio says "Fallujah, the fire in my heart." Has anyone ever pointed out to her that there's probably more than a few Sunni veterans of the battle of Fallujah in Syria fighting to overthrow Assad?

I would, but she blocked me after I blocker her.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
The SAA is apparently launching a pretty big offensive in Aleppo to capture the 'Brigade 80' base near the Aleppo International airport that they lost earlier this year.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/11/syria-troops-launch-major-offensive-aleppo-201311863542920283.html

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Miruvor posted:

The SAA is apparently launching a pretty big offensive in Aleppo to capture the 'Brigade 80' base near the Aleppo International airport that they lost earlier this year.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/11/syria-troops-launch-major-offensive-aleppo-201311863542920283.html

Both sides have claimed to have won the engagement, so once the dust settles we'll have to check the videos coming from there (if any) for evidence.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ugh. The comments.

quote:

im sorry your country is being attacked. i am american however i understand the evils of our leaders. so much so they attack us too.chemically.in our food,drinks, care products,vaccines. i just want to let you know not all americans are warmongerers.and insensitive to others outside our country.

We stand in solidarity with those who's governments are way sketchy, bro. From GMO's to Sarin. :patriot:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

PJAK's statements in the wake of the executions really did catch me by surprise, I for one thought that they had worked out a deal with the Iranians after the 2011 raids that amounted to "We'll leave you alone and bother Turkey if you leave us alone". There have been quite a lot of rumours floating around that Iran has been assisting the PYD in Syria as well, it's weird to see them provoke PJAK if they want to keep the Kurdish focused on Syria/Turkey.

I was under the same impression. Iran had a fairly good relationship, why muck it up like that? I suppose there's more to the story than we know.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009
Ayman Zawahiri has disbanded ISIS, telling Baghdadi to keep to Iraq. This is the second time he has been told to do so.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Muffiner posted:

Ayman Zawahiri has disbanded ISIS, telling Baghdadi to keep to Iraq. This is the second time he has been told to do so.

Supposedly the statement shown on Al Jazeera Arabic was identical to the May statement, and is possible just the video of that statement.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Schisser posted:

They're going full Byzantine again. :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Imapanda posted:

They're going full Byzantine again. :allears:

Watch out for guys marching around your walls with trumpets.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Watch out for guys marching around your walls with trumpets.

More like watch out for guys with big-rear end cannons.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I find it interesting that the Kurds have stayed so secular in their nationalism - even when their main enemies (though obviously not their only, see: Iran) have been the militantly secular Ba'athists and the downright anti-religious Turks, they've somehow avoided taking up the trappings of holy war. My Kurdish contacts really hate al-Nusra because of their fundamentalism. They explained it to me in terms of Kurdish nationalism being more akin to European ethnic nationalism, but that is also very much connected to religion so I don't really get it. I know that the Soviets funded the PKK and that lot for a while, but they're gone now, so what gives? In an age where militant movements in the Islamic world seem to revert to islamism as a means of protest, the Kurds have stayed surprisingly, well, not-islamic. Despite being a religious minority as well as an ethnic/linguistic one in most of the countries they inhabit.

Does anyone have a good history or explanation for this? I feel like it would be sort of insensitive not to accept my friends' version after asking about it.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

I find it interesting that the Kurds have stayed so secular in their nationalism - even when their main enemies (though obviously not their only, see: Iran) have been the militantly secular Ba'athists and the downright anti-religious Turks, they've somehow avoided taking up the trappings of holy war. My Kurdish contacts really hate al-Nusra because of their fundamentalism. They explained it to me in terms of Kurdish nationalism being more akin to European ethnic nationalism, but that is also very much connected to religion so I don't really get it. I know that the Soviets funded the PKK and that lot for a while, but they're gone now, so what gives? In an age where militant movements in the Islamic world seem to revert to islamism as a means of protest, the Kurds have stayed surprisingly, well, not-islamic. Despite being a religious minority as well as an ethnic/linguistic one in most of the countries they inhabit.

Does anyone have a good history or explanation for this? I feel like it would be sort of insensitive not to accept my friends' version after asking about it.

It might be because the Kurds themselves are divided along religious lines. For example, the Alevi Kurds in eastern Turkey are very liberal. The ones I know deny being related to Islam and fear that Erdogan is trying to convert them into Sunni muslims.
The PKK itself is a secular party and seen as a unifying factor for many Kurds. It had (and still has) women like Sakine Cansiz in their leadership who make sure that women's liberation is one of the party's core issues, which is another factor that promotes secularism and puts them at odds with other groups in the region.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zudgemud posted:

More like watch out for guys with big-rear end cannons.

Cannons, trumpets, its all the same now days

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I've been sent photographs of some of Jabhat al-Nusra's record-keeping. I'm working on getting what I have translated, which will hopefully give some insight into their bureaucracy

This is the weapons file, listing who received which weapon.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 9, 2013

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

As Schisser said, Kurds are rather divided religiously between Sunni, Alevi and Yazdani groups. Kurdish nationalism's fundamental aim is to create a united Kurdistan which means that the classical divisions have to be overcome, religious division of course being a major one. It's worth pointing out that the deep secularism of Kurdish nationalism is very pronounced in Turkey but a good bit weaker in Iraq, largely because of the substantial Alevi population in Turkey that forced the nationalist movement there to adopt more secular approaches as well as the integration of Marxist ideas that began in the 70's during Turkeys political upheaval. Iraqi Kurdish groups tend to be considerably more conservative but still embrace a principle of freedom of religion under the nationalist reasoning of creating a single Kurdish people regardless of religion, but there is little to no tolerance for the more radical ideas developed in Turkey.

It's also worth noting that Kuridsh fundamentalist groups exist, the Kuridsh Hizbollah was a major player for a while and has been succeeded by a political group called Hüda-Par in Turkey which has generated a surprising amount of support in Eastern Turkey. Kurds hold prominent positions in various extremist organizations in Syria (and elsewhere) and many Kurds did vote for the Islamic AKP in Turkey and support the Gulen movement's Islamic education schemes in Eastern Turkey, there is a divide between the secularism of the educated/urban Kurdish groups and the more rural rank and file.

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 9, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

I've been sent photographs of some of Jabhat al-Nusra's record-keeping. I'm working on getting what I have translated, which will hopefully give some insight into their bureaucracy

In the US military, there's a dedicated armorer or two per company (about 100 soldiers or so, depending on what that unit specializes in). I can't remember if there was a sign out sheet, or if it was done by logging info into the computer, but I do remember that we had to sign out each individual component. For example, if you sign out an M4 rifle, you'd also have to sign out for a CCO or ACOG sight, a PEQ-2 laser doohickey, etc, and you'd be on the hook for all that stuff. I'm kind of curious to see how much JaN's process differs from that. If you make a big blog post on it once you've got some translated, be sure to post it in here.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Brown Moses posted:

Can you upload a few other pages?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Xandu posted:

Can you upload a few other pages?

I'll email them to you directly, I'll post the full lot when I have them all translated. PM me your email.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like Iran and the West are very close to a nuclear weapons deal. Press conference happening now between with Iran and the EU's foreign affairs leaders that I can't watch. :argh:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No deal. Next round of talks will be in 7-10 days.

quote:

Iran and world powers failed on Saturday to reach an agreement over Tehran’s nuclear program following three days of intensive negotiations in Geneva.

After a late night meeting attended by the foreign ministers of the major powers, French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said no deal had been reached.

“The meetings in Geneva have made it possible to move forward, but we have not yet managed to conclude (a deal), because there are still some questions remaining to be dealt with,” Fabius said.

EU diplomatic chief Catherine Ashton held a post-meeting press conference with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in which she said the talks would reconvene on Nov.20.

“A lot of concrete progress has been achieved but some issues remain,” she said, adding: “Our objective is to reach a conclusion and that’s what we’ll come back to try to do.”

Iranian President Hassan Rowhani had urged world powers not to miss an “exceptional opportunity” to reach an agreement in their ongoing nuclear talks in Geneva.

“I hope that the P5+1 group make the most out of this exceptional opportunity that the Iranian nation has offered to the international community, so that we can reach a positive result within a reasonable timeframe,” he was quoted as saying by official IRNA news agency.

Rowhani, a moderate, said the opportunity to reach a deal with world powers was made possible with his election in June replacing hardliner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

One of the slogans of his election campaign was “constructive interaction with the world”.

Rowhani, who made the comments during a meeting with Japanese Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida, insisted that the only solution to the nuclear dispute was through “negotiations” and “mutual trust.”
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2013/11/10/Iran-and-world-powers-fail-to-strike-nuclear-deal.html

Supposedly the sticking points are the shutdown of one of Iran's nuclear facilities that would play a big role in any weapons program, and creating a timeline for the easing of sanctions against Iran.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Brown Moses posted:

I'll email them to you directly, I'll post the full lot when I have them all translated. PM me your email.

I'm sure you've given this serious consideration but wouldn't that document constitute useful intelligence on the materiel and manpower of a group? Would it be of use to any of the groups engaged in fighting?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Paul MaudDib posted:

By the way, just wanted to let you know I was listening to Diane Rehm and her guests made the exact same point I did. Kerry went to Egypt and negotiated with the junta, and did not say a single word about the trial of Morsi the next day, which is a tacit (yet absolutely clear) sign of support. In particular it's one that's designed to soothe relations with the Saudis.

Looking the other way and bending the law when a coup happened happened, and turning our heads once it started massacring protesters, and ignoring their show trials of a democratically elected President is most certainly tacit support.

You have really bizarre definitions of what constitutes signs of support. At most this means they just don't care. It came up in the other thread that when India and Pakistan announced their nuclear weapons programs the US responded with really paltry sanctions measures, actually far less than what's in place for Egypt now. This doesn't mean they supported a nuclear Pakistan, it just means it was more politically expedient to not make a huge deal of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

I think "consent" is probably a better word than "support" regarding what's going on in Egypt right now.

• Locked thread