Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sausage of Power
Apr 17, 2007

First of all, it's Dr."I can solve your ant problem".

Lemmi Caution posted:

I have taken pretty much any class you can think of, including tax. But I don't want to work in tax, so having all my public experience be in that area seems to be getting off on the wrong foot. This hiring season I presented myself as a candidate for the audit track, and trying again on a track that I'm not interested in just because I failed to get a job in my preferred area seems like a really bad idea. I got into this to do public audit, internal audit, or eventually work in industry. I have no interest in being a tax preparer.

You wanted alternative ways to get the hours for the CPA exam, I was just suggesting an alternative way to get the hours.

Lemmi Caution posted:

If I had years and tens of thousands of dollars to start over on a second bachelors I would probably major in STEM, not accounting. In any case I am finishing up 60 semester units of accounting study and have been working as a staff accountant for the past two years, so the suggestion that I spend years learning my debits and credits again sounds absurd. I'm not sure it would even be allowed.

I do not understand this, why is it impossible to qualify for a second bachelors degree with the classes you already have? If you have the credits to qualify for the CPA why don't you qualify for the degree? You talk about it like you'd have to start as a freshman or something. Have you even spoken to an adviser regarding what hoops you'd have to go through to get a second bachelors? poo poo how far away are you from a Masters at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
a. Most schools around here do not allow second bachelors.

b. Those that do have a residency requirement of about 30 units no matter what you bring to the table, so yes I would be retaking a hell of a lot of classes.

Avellon
Feb 19, 2011
I have some questions about what I should be looking into as an accounting major. I'm currently at a community college and will be transferring to a four year university starting in the Fall of 2014. I'll need about 60 more credit hours to meet the 150 hour requirement for my state, so I'd effectivley have 2 years at the university to complete, making my first year there my junior year and the second my senior year.

My question is have I missed out on trying for a summer leadership program? Should I just concentrate on trying for internships? Should I immedietly start looking for interships after my first semester at the 4 year university or could I try for stuff for the summer between when I graduate from the community college and the fall semester at university?

I'll leave the community college with an associates of arts with the Financial and Mangerial Accounting classes that are taken before Intermediate 1 complete.

Sausage of Power
Apr 17, 2007

Avellon I don't think you've missed out on anything, I'm assuming you did well in your intro accounting classes? In my experience firms look most at the core accounting classes for GPA. Have you used your college's resources to look for internships or anything yet? I'd assume your university will have better resources but it never hurts to look now.

Lemmi Caution posted:

a. Most schools around here do not allow second bachelors.

b. Those that do have a residency requirement of about 30 units no matter what you bring to the table, so yes I would be retaking a hell of a lot of classes.

That sucks. I don't really know what else to tell you other than "Good luck!".

Don Markstein
Nov 5, 2008
I went for a job interview recently for a corporate tax job. Entry level, as I just graduated with my Master's degree. It was only supposed to be an interview with 3 interviewers, each with a 30 minute long meeting, but midway through, the director decided to add two more interviewers afterwards, for a total of five interviewers. Was that a good sign?

Also, when I asked one of the interviewers about why they came to this company, we bonded over the fact that some companies use ridiculous questions to see how a potential hire reacts, like the "blender" question, and they thought behavioral questions were dumb and came out and said just that. I agreed in the sense they could make an interview more awkward and less free flowing. Did I get trapped? Let my guard down too soon? Because the very next interviewer came in with a list of behavioral questions, which I answered in a way that brought up relevant experiences where everything was spun positively.

It ended weirdly though. After the interview, the last interviewer took me to the director, but the director was in a meeting, so I was simply shown back to the lobby and exchanged goodbyes. No mention of "We'll be in touch," or anything like that; just made my way out and left. No response from HR or anyone at the company so far.

Am I reading too deeply into this situation and worrying over nothing, or do I have a legitimate concern? I wonder because at this point, it's my best shot at a good job, as I'm still one of the few in my program without a job.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
More interviewers is a sign of serious interest (or they have no projects and the firm is a sinking ship)

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I've begun studying for my CMA. I chose exam matrix as they received good reviews online and it seems like a solid product. If there's any interest I can report back with my thoughts on the review course, the exam, and other parts of the process.

So far I've joined the IMA, sent in official transcripts, and purchased the review course. After my transcripts are approved I will be paying the exam registration fee. Once I get a feel for where I stand after working on the review course I will schedule my exams accordingly.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Bugamol posted:

I've begun studying for my CMA. I chose exam matrix as they received good reviews online and it seems like a solid product. If there's any interest I can report back with my thoughts on the review course, the exam, and other parts of the process.

So far I've joined the IMA, sent in official transcripts, and purchased the review course. After my transcripts are approved I will be paying the exam registration fee. Once I get a feel for where I stand after working on the review course I will schedule my exams accordingly.

I'm very interested in your experience--I joined the IMA recently as well, and am debating whether to do the CPA or CMA first as I work full-time in an unrelated management job. It will be nice to see some end product to several years of part-time accounting courses.

Prof. Pizza Hut
Oct 17, 2012
I interned at a Big 4 this summer doing auditing and pretty much wanted to die every single day. What is tax like at a smaller firm? Are the hours as insane as audit? That, and what's the best way to contact smaller, regional firms? It's hard since the places I'd prefer to work are far away from where I go to school.

KentuckySuxNuts
Nov 9, 2003

Prof. Pizza Hut posted:

I interned at a Big 4 this summer doing auditing and pretty much wanted to die every single day. What is tax like at a smaller firm? Are the hours as insane as audit? That, and what's the best way to contact smaller, regional firms? It's hard since the places I'd prefer to work are far away from where I go to school.

I work at a small firm (~20 professionals) that does both audit and tax. I can tell you that you will definitely be working less hours. We do around 60-65 hour weeks through February and work 60-80 hour weeks from March through the deadline. That being said you need to spend a lot of time interviewing smaller firms so you do not get stuck at a firm with a poor support structure. Make sure that there is a staff development plan and a career road map in place. I have found that a lot of the smaller firms lack in these areas and poor training starting out of the gates is just no good.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

What all were you doing in the summer for auditing that made you work so much? From what I hear, the summer is for relaxing and maybe doing a few things to prepare databases for the next busy season and doing fun intern events. Then former interns come in expecting that level of work and get slammed with the reality of busy season.

Then again, my internship was auditing ITGCs and such in the risk assurance umbrella, so I got that impression from talking to actual audit interns and staff.

Prof. Pizza Hut
Oct 17, 2012
There were a number of companies who had June/July year ends, so their audits were in full force. I also had to spend a couple 12-hour days scanning and copying files for a PCAOB review, which was great fun.

KentuckySuxNuts
Nov 9, 2003
Benefit plan audits run in the Summer as well.

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Prof. Pizza Hut posted:

There were a number of companies who had June/July year ends, so their audits were in full force. I also had to spend a couple 12-hour days scanning and copying files for a PCAOB review, which was great fun.

I was the lead senior on a large year-end audit and three benefit plan audits my last two summers, and while it wasn't always smooth sailing it was never truly unbearable and certainly not for my interns or first year associates. Granted it depends on the clients you have, but I was probably the busiest person in my group during the summer and it didn't seem as bad as it sounds like it was for you. When I was a summer intern (in the same group I worked in) I only worked past 5 a handful of times and spent a lot of time watching DVDs on my laptop in the office because there wasn't enough to do.

Sausage of Power
Apr 17, 2007

There's a lot of governmental auditing that runs in the summer as well. Most school districts and colleges run a July-June fiscal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Did anyone here leave a Big 4 after making senior and before manager?

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I've run into a Quickbooks issue and could use some advice. I have a bookkeeping client who's been using Enterprise and needs to switch to Pro. Intuit of course has no easy downgrading options and services/software seem to cost $500+ which is a lot for a small business. So it's looking like the cheapest solution is to reconcile up the Enterprise file as of 12/31, export anything that can easily transfer, and then switch to a Pro file as of 1/1.

My questions for the thread would be:

1) Is this the best solution, or am I overlooking something?

2) I'm concerned about getting reconciled data for the switch. It's going to be a big rush trying to shut down Enterprise fast enough to get Pro fully functional, and some things (like credit cards) just aren't going to be as solid as I'd like. Additionally, there's a small amount of lookback that's desirable for this client. I'm wondering if instead of trying to make the switch as of 1/1, I should be making the switch as of 10/1/13 and manually re-enter the most recent data. I should say that I will have access to the Enterprise file for reference purposes only, so if I had to look up old transaction details I still could.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

What is a good newbie accounting textbook for somebody who works at a bank who's not naturally good with numbers (but not disastrous,) doesn't aspire to be an accountant but could use a general understanding of principles and bookkeeping? Preferably one that could be borrowed at the local library.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Mescal posted:

What is a good newbie accounting textbook for somebody who works at a bank who's not naturally good with numbers (but not disastrous,) doesn't aspire to be an accountant but could use a general understanding of principles and bookkeeping? Preferably one that could be borrowed at the local library.

Just use the internet. A lot of basics of accounting are available for free online. I'm not sure what you're looking to gain, but it should be readily available by googling "Basics of Accounting".

This might be a good start? First hit on Google.

http://www.accountingcoach.com/accounting-basics/explanation/1

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Bugamol posted:

Just use the internet. A lot of basics of accounting are available for free online. I'm not sure what you're looking to gain, but it should be readily available by googling "Basics of Accounting".

This might be a good start? First hit on Google.

http://www.accountingcoach.com/accounting-basics/explanation/1

It's got to be a book because I can read at work but I can't use the Internet.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Mescal posted:

It's got to be a book because I can read at work but I can't use the Internet.

Let me check at home. I may still have some of my old intro to accounting books. I'll ship them to you media mail free if I can find them.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Kieso's Intermediate book was what I learned on. See if you can find a cheaper version. The writers are real nerds - Star Trek references aplenty.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Bugamol posted:

Let me check at home. I may still have some of my old intro to accounting books. I'll ship them to you media mail free if I can find them.

You're a sweetheart. Thanks!

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Mescal posted:

You're a sweetheart. Thanks!

It wasn't with the rest of my books so I need to dig through my garage. I'm 90% sure I still have it. It's this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Intermediate-...iate+accounting

Give me another day and I'll let you know if I find it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Audax posted:

Kieso's Intermediate book was what I learned on. See if you can find a cheaper version. The writers are real nerds - Star Trek references aplenty.

Ya, I used this too for Intermediate Accounting A/B/C. It's not exactly sunday reading, so some textbook entitled "introduction to financial accounting" might be more his level.

Of course, it will have nothing to do with bookkeeping--you will need a separate book for that. Maybe even a Dummies book.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sent in the packet of requirements to apply for the CPA Exam today. Here's to studying my life away for the next 4-5 months.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Democratic Pirate posted:

Sent in the packet of requirements to apply for the CPA Exam today. Here's to studying my life away for the next 4-5 months.

That's a pretty aggressive timeline. Good luck.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Mandalay posted:

That's a pretty aggressive timeline. Good luck.

Thanks. This last semester of my accounting program is centered around passing the exam, so I only have two very simple classes to worry about and plenty of time to study each day. Plus the Big 4 comped the Becker course so I have all their study materials to go off of.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Thanks. This last semester of my accounting program is centered around passing the exam, so I only have two very simple classes to worry about and plenty of time to study each day. Plus the Big 4 comped the Becker course so I have all their study materials to go off of.

It's a good game plan, as you'll have pretty much no time to work on it once you're actually doing crap at the Big 4 firm.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Goodness, I'm envious of your abundance of time, resources, and opportunity. Go get em tiger.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Good luck man, you're pretty much in the same situation I'm in but I still have 5 more (easy) classes and TA work through graduation. Right now I'm looking at FAR in Feb, REG in April, then AUD and BEC in May/June with maybe one pushed back to July if I feel like some travel right after graduation.

Still have the unopened box of becker materials on my counter and every time I walk by it I think ehhhhhhhhh, tomorrow.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Mescal fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 28, 2013

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

Good luck man, you're pretty much in the same situation I'm in but I still have 5 more (easy) classes and TA work through graduation. Right now I'm looking at FAR in Feb, REG in April, then AUD and BEC in May/June with maybe one pushed back to July if I feel like some travel right after graduation.

Still have the unopened box of becker materials on my counter and every time I walk by it I think ehhhhhhhhh, tomorrow.

As someone who has been through it before, the next time you think "ehhhhhhhhhh tomorrow," start studying. You'll never regret extra studying but you will regret not doing so.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Exactly. Because when you fail and realize you wasted two months of your life... that poo poo hurts.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Plus it's a shitload easier to pass the CPA exam while you're still in college/not in busy season than when you are in busy season, so it's best to get it out of the way early, which is what I did.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Speaking of busy season, one more week. :suicide:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

fuseshock posted:

Mazel Tov! :devil:

hellboundburrito
Aug 4, 2004

fuseshock posted:

Not gonna lie, I don't miss this feeling right after Christmas...

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
I didn't see it for a few pages back but does anyone have an opinion on Gleim vs Becker for the CPA exam? I was planning on doing Becker but a friend said she liked the Gleim a lot more/it's cheaper. If it's important I'll probably be doing self study. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KentuckySuxNuts
Nov 9, 2003
I personally used Becker and found it to be extremely useful. That being said, I do feel that there are cheaper options that are just as good. I think Becker just does a great job with marketing and got in with the right companies and organizations.