Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Emong posted:

What kind of EV spread would you guys recommend for a Belly Drum/Aqua Jet Azumarill?

132 HP/252 Atk/128 Speed at level 100. This will outspeed 4 Speed Scizor and gives you an even number of HP to ensure that Sitrus Berry will activate after a Belly Drum. 132 HP/252 Atk/4 SpD/124 Speed should be used at level 50 since the additional 4 Speed doesn't have any effect. Note that this means you will only tie 4 Speed Scizor, but there's nothing you can really do about that without hurting your attack, and 4 Speed Scizor isn't that common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is an Expert Belt a bad item for Protean Greninja? I have Dark Pulse/U-Turn/Surf/Extrasensory, are there better moves? I was thinking Shadow Sneak or Lick (is the 30% paralysis chance worth it?)(over Extrasensory), but mine is a special attacker--but it may be worth it just for the normal/fighting immunity alone. But then again, I'd already have to have used it before a normal enemy switched in, right? I'm assuming a "it doesn't affect <enemy>..." message means no Protean switch, either. And offensively it wouldn't do much, since I would already have dark and bug to hit psychic (and dark for ghost) and I'd be opening myself up for super effective ghost hits, too.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

myron cope posted:

Is an Expert Belt a bad item for Protean Greninja? I have Dark Pulse/U-Turn/Surf/Extrasensory, are there better moves? I was thinking Shadow Sneak or Lick (is the 30% paralysis chance worth it?)(over Extrasensory), but mine is a special attacker--but it may be worth it just for the normal/fighting immunity alone. But then again, I'd already have to have used it before a normal enemy switched in, right? I'm assuming a "it doesn't affect <enemy>..." message means no Protean switch, either. And offensively it wouldn't do much, since I would already have dark and bug to hit psychic (and dark for ghost) and I'd be opening myself up for super effective ghost hits, too.

Protean triggers before the attack regardless of whether or not the move will affect the target, but Shadow Sneak is a really bad move for a special attacker and Lick is a really bad move. Replace Extrasensory with Ice Beam.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Greninja really wants the extra power that Life Orb gives it over Expert Belt. For other moves, Hydro Pump is probably better than Surf, Ice Beam is a lot more useful than Extrasensory and Grass Knot has better coverage with Water + Ice than Dark Pulse and has higher power than Hydro Pump against some targets, though light Water Types like Vaporeon and Rotom-W can still wall you.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Improbable Lobster posted:

How is size determined when you breed two Pumpkaboos that have different sizes?

It's the same as the species. Make if with a Ditto, female if not.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Yeah with protean Greninja I'd go Hydro Pump/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam/U-turn and Life Orb

although if it had HP Fire I'd ditch U-turn

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Just curious, how powerful is Talonflame? Is it just good because there aren't many good rock types? Its movepool seems kind of bare when it comes to attack options...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gensuki posted:

Just curious, how powerful is Talonflame? Is it just good because there aren't many good rock types? Its movepool seems kind of bare when it comes to attack options...
Talonflame has three things going for it.

1) 120 Base Speed. It's gonna be faster than almost everything.
2) Gale Wings hidden ability, gives flying-type moves priority.
3) Really good STAB attacks in Flare Blitz and Brave Bird/Acrobatics.

Dude's made a name for himself as a devastating suicide lead.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Gensuki posted:

It's good because having a decent attack stat, high speed, and priority Brave Bird is loving stupid.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well, since Swapnote is dead, guess I have to share my wacky outfits here instead!

My newest one:

I call it "Maximum Anime."

I used to be rocking this:

(Picture it with long, black hair). I call that one "Carmen PokéSandiego." It fits really well with the Looker Missions.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Anyone have a good build for an offensive Mega-gengar? I've narrowed it down to Some 4 out of these: Protect/Substitute+ 3 of theses: Thunderbolt/Dazzling Gleam/Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Energy Ball.

Too many choices. He's meant to be a revenge killer on the same team with my Protean Froakie running Ice Beam/Scald/Dark Pulse/U-turn. So I'm thinking Substitute/Dazzling Gleam/Sludge/Shadow Ball, but would Focus Blast be better than Dazzling Gleam?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anyone have a good build for an offensive Mega-gengar? I've narrowed it down to Some 4 out of these: Protect/Substitute+ 3 of theses: Thunderbolt/Dazzling Gleam/Sludge Bomb/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Energy Ball.

Too many choices. He's meant to be a revenge killer on the same team with my Protean Froakie running Ice Beam/Scald/Dark Pulse/U-turn. So I'm thinking Substitute/Dazzling Gleam/Sludge/Shadow Ball, but would Focus Blast be better than Dazzling Gleam?

I think Focus Blast is a better all-around choice than Dazzling Gleam just to be able to cover Steel types, but be aware that a Bulletproof Chesnaught is immune to all three of its attacks if you go with that.

e: poo poo, Steel doesn't resist Ghost any more, does it. Alright yeah I think Dazzling Gleam is the better choice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Both give perfect coverage, but if you're worried about the accuracy (or want to hit Fighting and Dragon SE), then Dazzling Gleam isn't a bad choice.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you don't pack substitute on mega gengar you're just going to get killed by sucker punches.

EDIT: Misread your past, somehow managed to think you weren't running sub. But yeah, to anyone else using Gengar; give it substitute. Literally every single Gengar I've seen has died in one hit to sucker punch.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 10, 2013

Canned Bread
Feb 26, 2013

Best Thing Since Sliced!

The Leper Colon V posted:

Dude's made a name for himself as a devastating suicide lead.

It's probably one of the best cleaners around too. Just wait until the opponent's team has been softened up, send him out, mindlessly click Brave Bird, and GG. I've had quite a few people just quit once they realized nothing on their team was healthy enough to take a BB.

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
Guys, I think I'm addicted to Shiny breeding. I've just done Golett and Ferroseed, and last night I started trying for a Gible. What's wrong with me????

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I think the best way to describe Talonflame is "Darmanitan, but trading some strength for absurd speed (and a great second STAB)."

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Maxy Boy posted:

Guys, I think I'm addicted to Shiny breeding. I've just done Golett and Ferroseed, and last night I started trying for a Gible. What's wrong with me????

I hope "just" means "It took me 30 boxes for each shiny" because otherwise gently caress your luck :colbert:

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Just got a Torchic off of Wonder trade and took it to the IV guy for checking, 31's in everything but Speed. It has Blaze.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
After releasing a bunch, and continuing to take up space... 45+ boxes of Protean Froakies.

Shiny Froakies are a myth, they don't exist.
And I'm starting to want to just quit, but I've devoted so much goddamn time to this that I can't stop here.
:negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

horriblePencilist posted:

Aegislash is one of the best pokemon of this gen. Great typing, massive offense and defense and king's shield is a straight upgrade from protect. Give it King's Shield, Shadow Sneak, Iron Head/Sacred Sword and Sword Dance and you're good to go.

Is there any particular reason I shouldn't give it Shadow Claw? And I'm not sure about using Sacred Sword, it doesn't get STAB and I already have a good fighter on my team (and one that isn't weak to Dark types, too). SS would be effective against Rock types, but Iron Head is, too; against Dark types - but Aegis is weak to Dark attacks; and against Steel types, in which case why are you using Aegis against them?

It's kinda funny that this means it'd have no physical attacks of a swordy nature at all. :downs: It just headbutts everything to death.

-----

So wait, let me think...the problem with King's Shield is that it doesn't protect from status effects. This is usually taken advantage of by a Gyarados running Taunt. This means that the AS can't use King's Shield and whoops you're dead.

Is there any reason the Aegislash can't just hold a status-healing berry or some sort of status affecting item to counteract that? Is there an ability or something that prevents Taunt from working, and if so, can it be passed to Aegislash?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I've got a move list for a gimmick Shuckle build and I can't decide on an EV spread.

I'm running Contrary Shuckle holding Leftovers Infestation/Rest/Shell Smash/(SR or Sticky Web)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any reason the Aegislash can't just hold a status-healing berry or some sort of status affecting item to counteract that? Is there an ability or something that prevents Taunt from working, and if so, can it be passed to Aegislash?

A Mental Herb heals taunt, disable, encore, or infatuation, but only once.

So I've got a move list for a gimmick Shuckle build and I can't decide on an EV spread.

I'm running Contrary Shuckle holding Leftovers Infestation/Rest/Shell Smash/(SR or Sticky Web)

You never want to be without 252 HP on a Shuckle. It only has two other stats that matter, so whether you put them all in defense, all in special defense, or balanced between them depends on the composition of the rest of your team.

I'm not sure entry hazards are the best thing to go with on an Infestation set, as the idea is you trap the enemy and whittle them down. If you put Toxic on it, then using Infestation once and Toxic once will take down anything that lacks instant healing and isn't immune - plus it means that boosting attackers will have less time to fish for a crit to bypass your Shell Smash boosts. But, again, only you know what your team needs.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 10, 2013

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Canned Bread posted:

It's probably one of the best cleaners around too. Just wait until the opponent's team has been softened up, send him out, mindlessly click Brave Bird, and GG. I've had quite a few people just quit once they realized nothing on their team was healthy enough to take a BB.

Surely it would die from recoil before long?

Anyone have a sample suicide lead Talon flame build? I'm assuming max attack and speed EVs, what kind of item would it use?

Also I'm guessing that execution wise that, judging from the name, it's a lead that you use to deal serious damage until it goes down?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Focus Blast OHKOes non-Specially Defensive Tyranitar while Dazzling Gleam is 3HKOing. That alone makes Focus Blast better. Especially since there aren't really a ton of other Dark types commonly used.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Mega Heracross looks...weird. Should I bother getting Rock Blast on him? I didn't realize Mega got Skill Link. I feel like the answer is going to be yes :smithicide: Looks like it would be easy at least, from Dwebble/Crustle -> Heracross. Which slot do egg moves take, the first? e: wait, I guess that part won't matter e2: I'm currently using Stone Edge, the answer is an obvious yes, with higher power and better accuracy

myron cope fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 10, 2013

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

So what's the requirement for finding hidden abilities in the friend Safari? I thought it was that you had to both be online at the same time once. Then their avatar shows a face instead of a question mark. Does that still apply if they haven't gotten online after beating the elite 4? I have a guy with just Ponyta and Charmelion available, and though his head is not a question mark, solar power Charmelion may as well be shiny. Or is the RNG just flipping me off.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Is there any particular reason I shouldn't give it Shadow Claw? And I'm not sure about using Sacred Sword, it doesn't get STAB and I already have a good fighter on my team (and one that isn't weak to Dark types, too). SS would be effective against Rock types, but Iron Head is, too; against Dark types - but Aegis is weak to Dark attacks; and against Steel types, in which case why are you using Aegis against them?

It's kinda funny that this means it'd have no physical attacks of a swordy nature at all. :downs: It just headbutts everything to death.

-----

So wait, let me think...the problem with King's Shield is that it doesn't protect from status effects. This is usually taken advantage of by a Gyarados running Taunt. This means that the AS can't use King's Shield and whoops you're dead.

You want some kind of priority in order to cut them off from getting in that "last hit." Shadow claw generally isn't stronger enough to take away from the utility of priority, especially on something as slow as Aegislash.
With Sacred Sword and (Ghost attack) you literally have unresisted coverage. There are no pokemon that resist ghost and dark right now. Basically, while the suggested attacks do less damage, they make an altogether more effective pokemon. Bisharp as one example wins against every Aegislash without Sacred Sword. Greninja and mega Gyarados resist both of Aegislash' STAB moves.

Those items only protect you once. Gyarados has intimidate, and depending on whether or not it Megas out, it will resist one of Aegislash' 2 normal attacks. Water resists steel, so iron head is out too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ohh. That makes sense. I'm still stuck in elementary school "bigger numbers means better Pokemon :downs:" mode for some reason. I instinctively stick with a bunch of attack moves with my Pokes. There's just so many good ones! (And a lot of not so good ones.)

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

PSWII60 posted:

So what's the requirement for finding hidden abilities in the friend Safari? I thought it was that you had to both be online at the same time once. Then their avatar shows a face instead of a question mark. Does that still apply if they haven't gotten online after beating the elite 4? I have a guy with just Ponyta and Charmelion available, and though his head is not a question mark, solar power Charmelion may as well be shiny. Or is the RNG just flipping me off.

They have to have beaten the E4. If you have the third pokemon, you have the ability to find hidden abilities.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

mastajake posted:

They have to have beaten the E4. If you have the third pokemon, you have the ability to find hidden abilities.

Thanks, found a different safari with Charmeleon and got a drought ninetales to boot.

Canned Bread
Feb 26, 2013

Best Thing Since Sliced!

BattleCake posted:

Surely it would die from recoil before long?

Anyone have a sample suicide lead Talon flame build? I'm assuming max attack and speed EVs, what kind of item would it use?

Also I'm guessing that execution wise that, judging from the name, it's a lead that you use to deal serious damage until it goes down?

In 3v3 I run it as a lead with Brave Bird/Flare Blitz/U-Turn/Roost @ Life Orb, but a good 90% of the time my first move is U-Turn. He's so useful for picking off weakened foes that I don't want to run the risk of losing him early, and most people try to bring in a counter right off the bat, letting me get some early momentum. Once all the opponent's Pokemon are down to about 50% or less, I usually just sack whoever's least useful to let Talonflame come in for free and clean up. Since everything he's hitting is fairly low on HP by that point, the recoil isn't much of an issue.

Playing it as a suicide lead is pretty self-explanatory, yeah. Go down in a blaze of glory while taking as many poor saps as you can down with you.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

How trustworthy are these 5/6 IV pokerus Dittos on the GTS ??

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

As trustworthy as this bridge I'd like to sell you.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
A good visual representation of the post-game:

(source)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
There's a guy here who got one but he disappeared after he said he hadn't checked it at the guy in Kiloude.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Mega Ampharos with Cotton Guard is absurd. After one of them most physical attackers can't touch him, after two of them a Mega Garchomp in the sand will be knocking off about 25% of his health at a time with Earthquake. I love my sheep.

e: And for those who like crazy plans, make an offensive one with Thunderbolt/Dragon Pulse/Focus Blast/Zap Cannon(8-year-old STAB stacking for maximum huge-going[if you use Thunder instead of Zap Cannon you are bad]), then get some Sticky Web support and pas him a Geomancy. This sounds like something that would never actually work but I've pulled it off successfully on three out of three attempts now and it's hilarious.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 10, 2013

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Are we still showing off first-time Hall of Famers? Good, because here's mine:

Boncompagni the Fennekin - Kind of underused, to be honest. Every time I tried to sneak him in to fight even the steel types, he'd get suckerpunched by some Dark attack or another. Fore some reason Fire/Psychic just do not jive with me.

Gaimard the Blastoise - Easily MVP of the team. Moved like a tank :hurr: with Iron Defense, tearing through Malva, psychics and even Drasna (with Ice Beam).

Quiroz the Hawlucha - The Rawk Hawk, responsible for taking out most of Wikstrom's ilk with High Jump Kick. Probably useless in any link battles, sadly, considering everyone would just double team him to death.

Nussbaum the Crobat - A fantastic staller, combining Confuse Ray and Poison Fang to take out both Siebold's Starmie and Gyrados.

Takeru the Aegislash - The fencer, obviously. Between Swords Dance, King's Shield and Sacred Sword/Iron Head, it plowed through Diantha's team, including OHKO'ing her Mega-Gardrevoir.

Locke the Tyrantium - Didn't do poo poo.

Man, I gotta get a ground-type on my team somewhere. It is hella weak against electricity.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

nippon nifties posted:

How trustworthy are these 5/6 IV pokerus Dittos on the GTS ??

I grabbed one on a whim, and yeah it was bullshit. I'd say it's safer to say they all are than take the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Rampant Dwickery posted:

Locke the Tyrantium - Didn't do poo poo.

It is hella weak against electricity.
Dragon resists Electric, Tyrantrum learns Earthquake. :eng101:

My experience with Tyrantrum so far is that someone's answer to "is he good" is the same as their answer to "did you give him an Assault Vest".

• Locked thread