Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yalborap
Oct 13, 2012

big mean giraffe posted:

Depends on what phone you got with the subsidy.

As in, the last upgrade on my contract? That'd be an iPhone 4, I think, bought on a sale when they were doing them free as an upgrade/new line. (It gets fiddly, because that upgrade was used for a phone on a different line. I'm actually on a Droid 4.) Any idea how that'd muck with it, or is it one of those things where there's just too many variables to say for sure, beyond "more than you'd hope to pay"?

Yalborap fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yalborap posted:

As in, the last upgrade on my contract? That'd be an iPhone 4, I think, bought on a sale when they were doing them free as an upgrade/new line. (It gets fiddly, because that upgrade was used for a phone on a different line. I'm actually on a Droid 4.) Any idea how that'd muck with it, or is it one of those things where there's just too many variables to say for sure, beyond "more than you'd hope to pay"?

Either way, you used your upgrade on a smartphone purchase, so you are subject to the smartphone ETF terms. Doesn't matter if you put a dumb phone in the line before canceling it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Mighty Horse posted:

It's in the terms and conditions that they aren't obligated to sell you anything if they make a mistake or simply don't want to, the will refund the money and call it done.

If they charged you the full 650, even though you agreed to only pay $299 you might have an argument.

The LG2 is $50 this weekend only at Verizon with a 2 Year. Its a really, really good phone that gets overlooked. At $50 its stupid to get anything else.

It's a shame my contract isn't up until May :[

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Oh. My. God. The MAXX is insanely awesome. Got it activated, got my 6GB plan, and the Qi charger works great.

Thank you dude(tte)s that recommended this incredible phone.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Last of my questions on this subject, I promise.

My unlimited line has an full upgrade. I want to get a 5S and don't want to pay retail obviously. In the past I've used an upgrade on someone else's line in my family plan to upgrade my phone without paying retail. Can I use the upgrade I have on someone else's line in my family plan, then give myself the 5S back and keep unlimited?

Thanks y'all

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

ACID POLICE posted:

Last of my questions on this subject, I promise.

My unlimited line has an full upgrade. I want to get a 5S and don't want to pay retail obviously. In the past I've used an upgrade on someone else's line in my family plan to upgrade my phone without paying retail. Can I use the upgrade I have on someone else's line in my family plan, then give myself the 5S back and keep unlimited?

Thanks y'all

Yes. Go log in on the website and transfer the upgrade to a non-unlimited line. Buy the phone for the non-unlimited line. When the phone arrives activate it first on the non-unlimited line. Afterwards, you're free to put your own SIM in it.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Thanks a ton man. I appreciate it. After I get the 5S on my line I'll be splitting it off from the family plan I'm on, hell yeah.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Does Verizon still offer personal plans outside of the Share Everything plans? We're looking to save some money on my girlfriend's bill and she doesn't need unlimited calling and texts, but I can't find anything less than that on their website.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Following my question earlier about transferring Verizon unlimited data plans, I called them today and they claim that while someone could take over my contract (which is month to month right now) and port their number in, I would lose my phone number. I have my doubts as to whether or not this is true (at first one of the people I talked to said I couldn't transfer for it at all quite adamantly), but I'm willing to go through with that if necessary. Already got a google voice number and everything!

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Cicero posted:

Following my question earlier about transferring Verizon unlimited data plans, I called them today and they claim that while someone could take over my contract (which is month to month right now) and port their number in, I would lose my phone number. I have my doubts as to whether or not this is true (at first one of the people I talked to said I couldn't transfer for it at all quite adamantly), but I'm willing to go through with that if necessary. Already got a google voice number and everything!

It's true in most cases. There have been reports of some wizardry with porting out your number like immediately as you do the AOL - but I'm not sure how it works. From what I understand it's spotty at best anyway.

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

UH, THIS ISNT YOUR DOG IS IT
Anyone ever have luck with an early upgrade? My GNex is killing me.

I've been a subscriber for about 20 months - my original contact stated that I would get an upgrade around the 20 month mark but I guess Verizon changed their upgrade policy to every 24 months sometime during my contract. I pay quite a bit for one phone and have a corporate data package (stupid and expensive) - I always pay on time too.

Do I have any sort of case for an early upgrade? Or will they just shoo me away?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

friendly gentleman posted:

Anyone ever have luck with an early upgrade? My GNex is killing me.

I've been a subscriber for about 20 months - my original contact stated that I would get an upgrade around the 20 month mark but I guess Verizon changed their upgrade policy to every 24 months sometime during my contract. I pay quite a bit for one phone and have a corporate data package (stupid and expensive) - I always pay on time too.

Do I have any sort of case for an early upgrade? Or will they just shoo me away?

Get the right rep and yeah. Youre pretty close. I got one shortly after buying a phone. Were talking 2 months into a contract.

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Get the right rep and yeah. Youre pretty close. I got one shortly after buying a phone. Were talking 2 months into a contract.

Alright, that's good to know. I'm assuming I need to call, correct?

I called the other day and was told they couldn't do anything for me. She certainly tried though (I think?) - I was put on hold a few times while she went to talk to her supervisor about whether or not they could help upgrade to the LG G2.

She asked if I had any issues with my GNex. I told her "nothing a restart can't fix" - because I'm honestly not having earth-shattering issues, this phone just dragggs now (and the battery life...). Am I supposed to lie and say "MY PHONE DUN WORK" like most of the people that shuffle in to the Verizon Store?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
We were on vacation last week and used our phones a lot apparently. I've used up 90% of my 4 gig's and have til the 28th before it resets. Should I preemptively raise my data allowance for this month? Pay the overage if we do happen to go over?

Now that we're home it's mostly wifi.

EDIT: why did my phone use half a gig of data this morning at 5 am while I was asleep and it should've been on my wifi?

Hdip fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 11, 2013

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Alright, that's good to know. I'm assuming I need to call, correct?

I called the other day and was told they couldn't do anything for me. She certainly tried though (I think?) - I was put on hold a few times while she went to talk to her supervisor about whether or not they could help upgrade to the LG G2.

She asked if I had any issues with my GNex. I told her "nothing a restart can't fix" - because I'm honestly not having earth-shattering issues, this phone just dragggs now (and the battery life...). Am I supposed to lie and say "MY PHONE DUN WORK" like most of the people that shuffle in to the Verizon Store?

It always pays to slightly exaggerate your case in those circumstances.

decoy octopus
Oct 26, 2005

You fat Loco, you fat

Hdip posted:

We were on vacation last week and used our phones a lot apparently. I've used up 90% of my 4 gig's and have til the 28th before it resets. Should I preemptively raise my data allowance for this month? Pay the overage if we do happen to go over?

Now that we're home it's mostly wifi.

EDIT: why did my phone use half a gig of data this morning at 5 am while I was asleep and it should've been on my wifi?

I would personally go up to the 6 because it's only another 10$ versus 15$ if you hit 5GB and another 15$ if you hit 6GB

friendly gentleman
Jul 8, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

It always pays to slightly exaggerate your case in those circumstances.

Hmm.. dumb question, but I sorta just needed a nudge from a stranger telling me to lie.

I called back and lied - the CSR said that she'd put in a case for me that'll very likely get accepted. Woo, G2! Thanks!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Hmm.. dumb question, but I sorta just needed a nudge from a stranger telling me to lie.

I called back and lied - the CSR said that she'd put in a case for me that'll very likely get accepted. Woo, G2! Thanks!

I'm in the same situation you are, was supposed to have an upgrade this month, but got screwed and now it's in March. By then there will be even bigger and better phones out, and probably VoLTE so I'll just wait.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shrimpy posted:

Does Verizon still offer personal plans outside of the Share Everything plans? We're looking to save some money on my girlfriend's bill and she doesn't need unlimited calling and texts, but I can't find anything less than that on their website.

They only offer Share Everything plans.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

So if I understand correctly, an unlimited mobile broadband plan (NOT the one for a phone) will ONLY work with an old device and a new 4G Jetpack can NEVER be assigned to one of those lines?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
As far as I'm aware if you provide your own equipment it'll work fine.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

iostream.h posted:

So if I understand correctly, an unlimited mobile broadband plan (NOT the one for a phone) will ONLY work with an old device and a new 4G Jetpack can NEVER be assigned to one of those lines?
Yep. The old unlimited MBB plan was $59.99 if you try to put anything other than equipment that existed at that time like old 3G USB modems and or PCMCIA cards the system will not accept it.

All the new 4G stuff follows plans similar to tiered smartphone plan pricing starting at $50 / 5GB, $80 / 10GB for standalone plans.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Weird. I had a customer with two unlimited lines with 4G MBB devices on their account the other day and upgraded them both to new ones and it accepted it. I wonder if it's a different plan code.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Augh, is there any way to put a SIM from a phone into a Jetpack with an unlimited data plan?

I realize that tethering from a phone shouldn't be any different than a WiFi spot, but phones get absolute poo poo service where I am, but the Jetpack gets a great signal.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Posted in the android thread.
BUT, The G2 is really a solid device so far. No major issues, nothing going kaboom after installing apps and the interface really isnt that bad. I almost wanna call it touchwiz grown up. Almost.

A++ Would buy again.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

EbolaIvory posted:

Posted in the android thread.
BUT, The G2 is really a solid device so far. No major issues, nothing going kaboom after installing apps and the interface really isnt that bad. I almost wanna call it touchwiz grown up. Almost.

A++ Would buy again.

Clearly you are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bam thwok posted:

Clearly you are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

Nah. Can't be that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Isis got an update and the app doesn't look like Gingerbread poo poo anymore.

Also has an option now to set up a prepaid amex card linked to a debit card or CC like Google Wallet does (Google just does the prepaid part under the hood and obscures it.)

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

You have GOT to be kidding me. I bought the Moto X off MotoMaker the day it came out on Verizon Wireless and NOW they run a promotion where it is $50 off.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DTaeKim posted:

You have GOT to be kidding me. I bought the Moto X off MotoMaker the day it came out on Verizon Wireless and NOW they run a promotion where it is $50 off.

Go to a corporate store, they may be able to do an adjustment since it's not even been three days. I bought the Droid Maxx mere days before they dropped the price by $100. They gave me a $100 bill credit.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If you don't care about MotoMaker, apparently coupon code "vzwdeal" is good for a Moto X for free on contract.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

kitten smoothie posted:

If you don't care about MotoMaker, apparently coupon code "vzwdeal" is good for a Moto X for free on contract.

Does it work off contract too? $400 for a brand new one would be pretty sweet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cross posting from the general thread, so my apologies, but how long do you think I have to wait before the Note 3 starts to come down in price? I know I could sell my GNex for $100 pretty easily and help offset the cost, but I'd still prefer not to spend the cash then watch the price fall the way the new Droids have been immediately after. The price drops have had me tempted to get a Maxx (or even an X), but I really want that big screen and obscene amount of RAM

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

XIII posted:

Cross posting from the general thread, so my apologies, but how long do you think I have to wait before the Note 3 starts to come down in price? I know I could sell my GNex for $100 pretty easily and help offset the cost, but I'd still prefer not to spend the cash then watch the price fall the way the new Droids have been immediately after. The price drops have had me tempted to get a Maxx (or even an X), but I really want that big screen and obscene amount of RAM

Given how long the S4 has been at 200, I would assume a while. If there's nothing over Black Friday-Cyber Monday I would go ahead and pull the trigger.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hoobajoo posted:

Given how long the S4 has been at 200, I would assume a while. If there's nothing over Black Friday-Cyber Monday I would go ahead and pull the trigger.

That's a really good point. I'll cross my fingers for a holiday sale, then grab it if there is or isn't one

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
edit: posted in android thread

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 16, 2013

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Any chance the Note 3 is gonna have a black Friday deal? I'm planning on buying one unsubsidized in the next week or two and there doesn't seem to be any deals available now or in the near future besides shady craigslist posts. Best I can seem to manage is $699 through Verizon with my company discount.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Any chance the Note 3 is gonna have a black Friday deal? I'm planning on buying one unsubsidized in the next week or two and there doesn't seem to be any deals available now or in the near future besides shady craigslist posts. Best I can seem to manage is $699 through Verizon with my company discount.

Unsubsidized prices don't really ever get marked down, sorry.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Not without a 2-year contract or other upgrade program available. VZW has been some people upgrade early (after 1 year, but before 2) on Edge, have you looked into that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Because I suspended my contract for a year because of a military deployment, I still have an unlimited / non-tiered plan. My upgrade / renewal time is coming up in January (and my Galaxy Nexus is very long in the tooth) but I would rather not use the subsidized upgrade.

I'm less worried about the unlimited data (since I only use 2 - 3 GB per month) than the higher price. Right now I only pay ~$87 (with an employer discount), whereas with the new tiered plan I'm looking at closer to $110.

Do I have any recourse here? If I were on AT&T I would just buy a Nexus 5 out of pocket, but since Verizon and Google can't end their pissing match that's not an option. Any suggestions?

• Locked thread