Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

hellfaucet posted:

About the peaches, if it were me I would do a pull on the barrel and rack on top of the peaches in a different vessel. Definitely don't add that to the barrel, you want what's in the barrel to be a crazy base for other beer experiements.

Exactly this. The peaches will pretty much disintegrate and all, but it's just more "junk" in the barrel along with the standard trub.

ieatsoap6 posted:

I made an IPA... Any ideas?

Link to recipe?

For now, it shouldn't be the honey and that would* be the first to go as it as more accessible sugars. I find sweetness can come from a couple of places; 1) too much "crystal/roasted/etc" matls 2) not enough "flavor" hops 3) mash temp

*might?

Jacobey000 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I wrote "yeast samples" on the package itself, and put the bottles inside two sealed plastic bags to prevent leakage, then packed in styrofoam to prevent breakage. Told the guy pretty much the same thing when he asked if it was liquid or breakable.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

Jacobey000 posted:

Link to recipe?

For now, it shouldn't be the honey and that would* be the first to go as it as more accessible sugars. I find sweetness can come from a couple of places; 1) too much "crystal/roasted/etc" matls 2) not enough "flavor" hops 3) mash temp

*might?

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/an-iipa-1

The efficiencies and stuff like that are reflective of what I got in practice, rather than projected, but otherwise it's accurate to what I did going in.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
With 25% honey I'm shocked you were able to get it to stop at 1.011. Sounds delish though.

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

With 25% honey I'm shocked you were able to get it to stop at 1.011. Sounds delish though.

Yeah, I had planned on adding only 1 lb honey, but I had 2 lbs on hand and putting it in a brew seems as good a place as any. It really does taste fantastic, though. I hope I can figure out why, but regardless I'm going to be making this one again.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Finished brewing beer today. It was a looooong brew day but definitely worth it! Bigdee4933 and I made two 6 gallon batches. The first one is the one in the 'spirit' of HotD Fred using a total of 28 pounds of grain. The OG measurement read 1.09 at 77F so I think that translates to 1.092. It's gonna be a big rear end beer!

We made the second one using the second and third runnings of the mash and will soon pitch a lacto/brett blend to it.

Here's a pic of the setup:

...and here's all 28 pounds of grain that barely fit in the mash tun:

It kinda looks like it may have overflowed, but it really didn't.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Anyone here had any experience with making spiced cyser? I have 1 gal in secondary fermentation and I want to add some mulling mix to the fermentation, but I am not sure how much or how long to leave it in there.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ieatsoap6 posted:

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/an-iipa-1

The efficiencies and stuff like that are reflective of what I got in practice, rather than projected, but otherwise it's accurate to what I did going in.

It may just be that you don't really have any significant hop additions between the bittering and late flavoring/early aroma stages. I think if you had either saved 1/3 of those hops to throw in around 30 minutes or added some more to the 30 minute mark it may have given a more balanced bitterness rather than just a sharp forefront of it. My favorite IPA I made using the Bell's Two Hearted method of just mixing all the hops and dosing them out every 5 minutes over the 60 minute boil. My next IPA I want to do with that same method but also using honey like Hopslam.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Over the summer we made a wheat beer with 05 that got a little too hot and was basically an undrinkable diacetyl bomb. I figured I'd let it sit for a while to see if it aged out and would dump it if I needed the bottles.

Well about a month ago it was still hazy/diacetyly but tonight I opened one up (it's be unrefridgerated this whole time) and it was crystal clear like a pale lager and all of the flavor had been completely stripped from it. It was like carbonated beer water, but not as bad as that sounds. Drinkable almost.

:wtc: can cause something like that to happen? It doesn't smell/taste infected, and it's not overcarbed or anything ...

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Last week I racked my fermented pineapple juice onto sorbate to kill the yeast, and I wanted to check the gravity while I was at it.

I pulled my hydrometer out of its tube, and then this happened. (linked for size)

This is why you should always have two hydrometers.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I found a beer in a fridge and it's pretty good

Literally about 4 months ago I made a gallon test batch of who-the-gently caress-knows and put it in a fridge to cold crash. I ignored it until today because it looked like a mess. Put it in a bucket, cleaned the gallon jug out, put it back in, drinking it now and hey it's actually pretty good. Obviously flat because no carbonation but otherwise very drinkable.

I made a 7.8% ABV pale yesterday that's doing it's thing, I made a mead kit today, and I bought a gallon of cider that in theory with the yeast I have should turn into an extremely drinkable beverage in 2 weeks. Waiting to hear back from my friend because my first 2 fucks-ups really put me off that.

When that's done I'll start another gallon test batch in an adorable 2 gallon fermenter I just bought that's going to be pretty questionable. I had the recipe in my Brewtoad for around 6 months and I don't know what I was trying for, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Original measurements in lbs:

Fermentables:
Brown Sugar, Golden 2.0
CARAWHEAT® 1.0
Brown Malt 8.0 oz
Golden Light DME 5

Hops
Challenger: 1 oz (I substituted it out for some $1 packet that I can't be assed to check right now)

Yeast
Yorkshire Square Ale Yeast WLP037 (they didn't have this so I went with something completely different)

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

quote:

Right now it smells and tastes like the juice from the bottom of a hot bag of garbage, but it's getting reasonably tart. I think I'll probably give it a full hour boil tomorrow afternoon to try and drive off some of the nasty flavours a bit more. Pretty excited to see if I end up with something that's actually drinkable at the end of this.

Bonus pellicle photo after 72 hours of souring.

After I boiled for about 10 mins most of the awful garbage smell was gone then it was almost completely gone after 60 minutes. I did a 60 min addition of magnum for about 8 IBUs then boiled vigourously and added fresh pack of Wyeast 1056.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
How much do people usually spend on stuff to send for Secret Santa? Edit: I don't want to be that guy who ruins someones secret Xmas

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Back on the Solera talk, thanks for all of the advise. Would it possibly be best to brew batch #1 and let it sit on the sour culture until I brew batch #2, then rack it into a secondary? That should eliminate most of the yeast cake. I guess I should only rack onto the peaches before I'm ready to bottle though. My goal was to use my peach harvest once a year for the sour to make a peach sour.

My plan is this:

- Brew a 5-6% wheat heavy saison, let that ferment out with Wyeast French Saison 3711.
- Pitch a dreg culture from various sours I've taken from the sours I've drank over the past few months, as well as the Wyeast Belgian Lambib Blend 3278.
- Let that sit until I brew the next batch, so roughly 11 months, and then rack to secondary.
- In secondary I plan to throw 2 ounces of oak cubes that have been soaked in bourbon, they will sit on this until I'm ready to transfer off in 2-3 years (once the solera is finished).
- When ready to pull from batch #1, rack onto a peach puree, 1.5 pounds per gallon.
- Let that sit for a month or so, then rack off and bottle, re-pitching US Ale yeast for bottling.

I plan on doing a 3 "barrel" solera, all following this procedure (thanks to your advice). That means that I won't get around to bottling the beer until 4 years later, if I am doing my math right. It will be on the bourbon oak cubes for 3 years. My biggest worry is oxidation, but isn't that good for the sour bugs? Don't they convert that?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Marshmallow Blue posted:

How much do people usually spend on stuff to send for Secret Santa? Edit: I don't want to be that guy who ruins someones secret Xmas
I spent $25/$30 last year I think, including shipping? To be honest, anything is better than nothing.

OK, so you want to do a solera with oak cubes? Ok, that changes things a bit. I was thinking that you'd be doing this in proper barrels. If you're doing it in a carboy, you should be fine seeing how much poo poo you have in the bottom. Personally, I'd want to do it in a much bigger vessel, but that's just me.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
Yeah, carboys. I don't have the money to do a proper barrel solera. I find the solera concept interesting though and I think that it's going to be a fun project regardless.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

Midorka posted:

Yeah, carboys. I don't have the money to do a proper barrel solera. I find the solera concept interesting though and I think that it's going to be a fun project regardless.

$114 shipped for a good 5-gallon barrel. Just sayin :)

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

$114 shipped for a good 5-gallon barrel. Just sayin :homebrew:

fixed

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

$114 shipped for a good 5-gallon barrel. Just sayin :)

5 gallons throw off the oxygen balance. I think anything less than a barrel sized barrel will emphasize the vinegary aspect.

Couple other things: oak is gross. I guess that's an opinion but the wood used in traditional stuff hasn't made things taste like wood in years. If you're interested in saving a culture, use oak that has been through a few batches of wine, beer, or booze. I guess some people actually want their sours to taste like oak so if that's the case, rock on.

I don't think I noticed the solera part or maybe I just got confused since you are using several carboys. There's no real reason to rack off the yeast cake unless you have specific problems with it but it seems like that might be more of a volume issue for you of where to rack the new batches into?

E. vvvv I started talking at Midorka mid message without requoting cause I was posting on a phone. Point still stands on 5 gallon barrels being kind of silly, for booze cause of the extra angels share or beer and wine cause of oxygen.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 11, 2013

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

zedprime posted:

Couple other things: oak is gross. I guess that's an opinion but the wood used in traditional stuff hasn't made things taste like wood in years. If you're interested in saving a culture, use oak that has been through a few batches of wine, beer, or booze. I guess some people actually want their sours to taste like oak so if that's the case, rock on.

I am with you 100% about the barrel flavor-- I want to taste the beer, not the oak! The link I posted is barrels formerly used at a distillery, which should in theory reduce that flavor pickup to very low levels, definitely nowhere near a new barrel.

There's an episode of Basic Brewing Radio where the host interviews a guy who's been nursing a barrel solera for several years, it's good listening.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

wildfire1 posted:

Couple of bottles of homebrew?

Generally, yes. It's usually a few bombers or more 12oz, whatever you feel like sending. I think the usual is maybe 2 bombers or a 6 pack, some people send way more though, depending on what they want to get rid of. Some people send ingredients, I don't know that we've had a confirmed equipment give yet.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

zedprime posted:

I don't think I noticed the solera part or maybe I just got confused since you are using several carboys. There's no real reason to rack off the yeast cake unless you have specific problems with it but it seems like that might be more of a volume issue for you of where to rack the new batches into?

I'm mostly worried about the yeast cake building too large, as well as autolysis, or is autolysis not a concern with sours?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I think I remember that brett eats dead yeast for breakfast somewhere. But I don't remember. I also want to sya I remember you want to rack off the original big cake and everything after that is fine.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I think I remember that brett eats dead yeast for breakfast somewhere. But I don't remember. I also want to sya I remember you want to rack off the original big cake and everything after that is fine.

I've heard this quote bandied about but I've never heard a source for the information. Maybe someone at Wyeast would answer?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Marshmallow Blue posted:

This is correct. Brett eats lovely old yeast that don't matter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

crazyfish posted:

I've heard this quote bandied about but I've never heard a source for the information. Maybe someone at Wyeast would answer?

Wild Brews mentions it, I'm not sure if its sourced any further than inference from lambic batches aren't racked until blending.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hi everyone, tonight I'm making my first lager ever, and using Saflager S-23. Is there anything I should be aware of about rehydrating this yeast that's different than the typical ale yeasts? Was planning on just dissolving in a cup of warm (~24C) distilled water and pitching 30 minutes later. This rehydration temp won't do odd things to a cold fermenting yeast will it? Keezer is set at 13C to receive the wort for fermentation.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
I think most folks make healthy starters to help combat the temperature factor.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Northern Brewer Sale until midnight EST:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
How does one sign up for homebrew secret Santa? Because I am so down for that.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Roundboy posted:

How does one sign up for homebrew secret Santa? Because I am so down for that.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Remember how I said I had a couple of 5 gallon coolers laying around? Well, I went to retrieve them from my parents' shed today, where they had been sitting for a little over a year. They were dirty, so I hosed them off and brought them home for a proper cleaning.

I opened up the dirtier of the two to find it pretty clean inside, so I scrubbed it down and filled it with starsan, and so it still sits.

I opened up the cleaner of the two, and well...

ANTS!!!

A cascade of them came pouring out onto the kitchen floor, which required some quick stomping and mopping to stop from becoming an infestation! I took it outside and dumped some bleach in it for a quick kill and clean, only to discover that the top is anything but watertight, which I guess explains how they got in there in the first place. I hosed it down inside and out with some mint oil(mint is nervous-system-death for insects), and set it out back...now I just have to decide on whether I'm keeping it or not. Trash gets picked up in the morning, and it's probably going with it.

Massasoit posted:

Anyone here had any experience with making spiced cyser? I have 1 gal in secondary fermentation and I want to add some mulling mix to the fermentation, but I am not sure how much or how long to leave it in there.

I haven't done a cyser in a few years, but I've done a few spiced ciders, so take this with a grain of salt, but depending on how thoroughly spiced you want it to be, 3/4 to 1 teaspoon may be plenty. I always leave the spices in the whole way- whatever doesn't get dissolved into solution will settle out and get left behind when you siphon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Today's :homebrew: haul:

Refractometer. Cheapie from William's Brewing ($32), a thermowell-stopper for my better bottle, and of course, the better bottle itself.

I'm running out of stuff to :homebrew: unless I want to go RIMS or something.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Today's :homebrew: haul:

Refractometer. Cheapie from William's Brewing ($32), a thermowell-stopper for my better bottle, and of course, the better bottle itself.

I'm running out of stuff to :homebrew: unless I want to go RIMS or something.

A couple months ago I swore that I hit hit critical mass with gear... then I started making sours... Oh poo poo now I need another 6 carboys! :homebrew: :smith:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm running out of stuff to :homebrew:

This is some bad karma right here

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Syrinxx posted:

Hi everyone, tonight I'm making my first lager ever, and using Saflager S-23. Is there anything I should be aware of about rehydrating this yeast that's different than the typical ale yeasts? Was planning on just dissolving in a cup of warm (~24C) distilled water and pitching 30 minutes later. This rehydration temp won't do odd things to a cold fermenting yeast will it? Keezer is set at 13C to receive the wort for fermentation.

I've used that yeast - it's pretty nice. I didn't any a lick of diacetyl in mine. Did a 3 day rest at "winter basement" temps, 55-60? or so.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I think most folks make healthy starters to help combat the temperature factor.

Not exactly correct, the dry lager sachets do not require a starter. One the sole reasons for my choosing of that yeast.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

fullroundaction posted:

This is some bad karma right here

No kidding. I finally visited a regional homebrew shop, that I normally order from online, with the intention of just picking up a few things. Walked out with $160 less in my wallet. There's always something you didn't know you needed.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

:siren: Homebrew Secret Santa signup! :siren:

General rules: Know what's legal to do and what's not legal to do, have fun! Signups will close on thanksgiving and i'll email people their santees a day or two later.

3rd year in a row, yay!

Up to 12 people with enough people to do trades in 2 countries! Let's get more!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

From the last BIF, trading cross countries is not a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Midorka posted:

From the last BIF, trading cross countries is not a good idea.

trades are in-country only. There have to be two or more people in the same country to do one. So far we have 2+ US and 2+ UK people, so there will be two circles of santa/santees.