Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I just went up against moderate but not high level Classic Storm and Thor team in the Iron Man tournament. On turn 2, their Thor used Mjolnir's Might, then Thunder Strike, then Call of the Storm. On turn 3, Thor was able to use Mjolnir's Might and Thunder Strike once again, followed up by a Wind Storm from Storm. I lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like this game is much friendlier to non iap users now than when it started. You only need 13 covers to max a person but covers are only about 50% rarer. You used to have level 3* with premium currency. Sure healing on level was nice, but ISO is so much more common these days, thanks to Facebook, that max level only take about a week.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Can't decide if I want thor covers or grey widow from placement. On one hand I have no grey widow and that's another cover space used up but I'm guessing the next tourney is a grey widow one.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

WetSpink posted:

Can't decide if I want thor covers or grey widow from placement. On one hand I have no grey widow and that's another cover space used up but I'm guessing the next tourney is a grey widow one.

God I hope so, the purple ability on Grey Widow is crazy good, may actually be the best purple power in the game. With a couple covers dumped into it you can place enough tiles to make a 5-chain combo, and all 5 of those greens get added to your AP to use for the snipe ability. It clears boards in a hurry, deals decent damage, and doesn't end your turn.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I finally managed to claw my way to 1,000 and the 500 hero points, which is awesome. And now I'm staring at my 0 health packs and the yellow spidey at 1100 thinking "if I can make it to 1100 that's worth way more than 500 hp..."

But of course I lost 70 ranking points while typing this message so :bang:

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I'm not really sure what to do with my Modern Hawkeye. I feel like I want to max his Blue and Red, and let his Purple sit at 3.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

MeramJert posted:

I just went up against moderate but not high level Classic Storm and Thor team in the Iron Man tournament. On turn 2, their Thor used Mjolnir's Might, then Thunder Strike, then Call of the Storm. On turn 3, Thor was able to use Mjolnir's Might and Thunder Strike once again, followed up by a Wind Storm from Storm. I lost.

Is there any way to see how many covers the other team has? It can make a pretty huge difference.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

ghostwritingduck posted:

Is there any way to see how many covers the other team has? It can make a pretty huge difference.

You can click on them on the boost page. It won't tell you the number of covers but it will tell you the ap cost and what it will do.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

ghostwritingduck posted:

You can tap each of the ability colors and see how many AP they cost for variable AP abilities, or you just have to know what each level does if it's a variable effect ability.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Shwqa posted:

I feel like this game is much friendlier to non iap users now than when it started. You only need 13 covers to max a person but covers are only about 50% rarer. You used to have level 3* with premium currency. Sure healing on level was nice, but ISO is so much more common these days, thanks to Facebook, that max level only take about a week.

Only for you, man. I know it's the third time I bitch about not receiving enough free virtual money from my fake virtual friends, but at the current rate I'd need a couple of years to max out a character.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

seravid posted:

Only for you, man. I know it's the third time I bitch about not receiving enough free virtual money from my fake virtual friends, but at the current rate I'd need a couple of years to max out a character.

Make friends that are just starting that way your on their three people. On a completely unrelated note I couldn't pay this weekend and woke up with 10,000 ISO :getin:

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Make friends that are just starting that way your on their three people. On a completely unrelated note I couldn't pay this weekend and woke up with 10,000 ISO :getin:
I don't get anywhere near that much ISO. I send out an ok amount (I get 140 to 25 people once a day usually), and I have like 119 friends.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Shwqa posted:

Alright, it's on. Post your PvP name, I'mma hunt. you. down.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
I just installed this, did like 2 matches and spent 150 coins on a new guy. Got ironman 40. Is this good?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

seravid posted:

Alright, it's on. Post your PvP name, I'mma hunt. you. down.

Same as it is here. Watch out I just watched my Thor take down a full health model 40 with a match 4 and a few cascades (and a ton of wolverine strike tiles).

And a different note I'm have hilariously bad luck with heroic tokens. Either 3* I don't have other covers too or bagman and Thor. I want a yellow and green wolverine so bad.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

By the way, if you guys didn't know it, the 600 or 700 (I can't remember which) token reward for the model 40 tournament? The "model 40" token? It's for the cover set that's a guaranteed model 40. The one we were bitching about earlier.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Laterbase posted:

I just installed this, did like 2 matches and spent 150 coins on a new guy. Got ironman 40. Is this good?

He's okay, but he's really more of a support character. He's pretty new. You really should spend most of your coins expanding your storage space though!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
fake Facebook.

lifeaftershrek@gmail.com

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm loving the poo poo out of Model 40 except for the bug where he's not being properly boosted in the tournament, leaving my actual support guys with ~1k health to tank all the damage because they're in their 40s and he's not. So far my strategy has just been to equip a +3 Blue/Purple boost, use Magneto Now to match blues and purples until he has enough purples to make more blues, then I fire the Model 40's rockets which one shot everything on the other team that isn't a level 50+ Thor.

I'd be solid if my Bullseye wasn't level 14 because of a lack of covers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

God I hope so, the purple ability on Grey Widow is crazy good, may actually be the best purple power in the game. With a couple covers dumped into it you can place enough tiles to make a 5-chain combo, and all 5 of those greens get added to your AP to use for the snipe ability. It clears boards in a hurry, deals decent damage, and doesn't end your turn.

Sounds like a better version of Magneto Now. Still, MN with CStorm is a pretty murderous combo. I have enough of his cards to drop 4 blue tiles anywhere I want and getting 5-7 tile criticals is amazing. Then you get to throw a team wiping hurricane at dudes.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

I'm loving the poo poo out of Model 40 except for the bug where he's not being properly boosted in the tournament, leaving my actual support guys with ~1k health to tank all the damage because they're in their 40s and he's not. So far my strategy has just been to equip a +3 Blue/Purple boost, use Magneto Now to match blues and purples until he has enough purples to make more blues, then I fire the Model 40's rockets which one shot everything on the other team that isn't a level 50+ Thor.

I'd be solid if my Bullseye wasn't level 14 because of a lack of covers.

It is supposed to just be the critical shots that are boosted isn't it? I think after the update normal matches didn't seem that big of a deal, but if you get a critical its pretty big.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It was everything before the mid-Juggernaut update, I don't know if they've changed it intentionally.
Outside a match he has like 19 attack on Red, but inside the match it says he has almost 60 but all the Reds are being matched by Modern Storm who has low 20s. If I match a Red critical, it will be a Storm critical for ~200, but if I match something where Model 40 is the attacker (usually Yellow) it will be based on his boosted attack unless it's a critical in which case it takes the boosted attack scores into account and does like 1500 damage. It's that that makes me think maybe it's just using the wrong variable in the calculation.

If it's intentional it basically changes the boosted tournaments from a way of advertising a new character by juicing them up so they seem really attractive to get, to an exercise in trying to win with two good characters and a Hawkeye.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 11, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I think I'm about done with the Iron Tourney. I'm not staying up to midnight for the end of this and I'm not going to get to 1100. Just not enough tempting targets that aren't retaliating immediately, and it just takes one guy in the 600s to attack me to wipe out progress. I'm #1 in my bracket right now but it's not going to last -- just hope I can stay above #50 so I can finish my Thor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Getting Black Widow's green ability would be really great. It'll let me start using her. But to get that I'll have to get 1 or 2... hmm.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
They really need to re-do the tournament interface when it doesn't even have room for all the people that attacked you while you were away.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Getting Black Widow's green ability would be really great. It'll let me start using her. But to get that I'll have to get 1 or 2... hmm.
Green is the only one I have, so if I get top 10 I get one of each ability, which would be pretty sweet.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Well, gently caress. I went out for two hours, and actually managed to go UP a rank, how does that work? Currently sitting at 21, would really rather have the two Thors than the Widow. If that doesn't change soon, might have to lose on purpose.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Your dudes are too amazing and beating people even with your eyes closed.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Kravdraa posted:

Well, gently caress. I went out for two hours, and actually managed to go UP a rank, how does that work? Currently sitting at 21, would really rather have the two Thors than the Widow. If that doesn't change soon, might have to lose on purpose.

Dude, post your team!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah, here's an amazing team combo I have for grinding out iso in SHIELD training:
Wolverine, Daken and Modern Hawkeye. Hawkeye dodges so all damage shifts on to the guys that regenerate, Daken and Wolvie throw strikes everywhere and then Hawkeye piles on the obscene crit multipliers. Basically Team Highlander, they're immortal unless there's a bullshit cascade that leads to several thunderstrikes to my face.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Capt America's power that charges red up by 10 is kinda interesting withthe Model 40 Ironman red power that takes out 1000+ HP. You spend 11 red at level 4, take 160 damage. Get 10 red back in 3 turns. By that time you have collected enough red to use Ironman and blast away. Plus his blue ability gives you some stuns so it buys you even more time to collect that red, and you get more blue back.

I think I will start leveling cap once I get more ISO again.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cap's red power isnt a charger, it's a loop. If you retrieve it at the end and did at least one red match, you can fling out the shield again. Also you can have multiples of them running at the same time. The cost goes down as those powers level up too, so they're almost free once you build up enough AP.

Imagine Captain America flinging red and blue shield attacks. Forever.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Helical Nightmares posted:

Dude, post your team!

It wasn't the team, as such, and I honestly wasn't trying to brag... Just that nobody attacked me over that time, and I guess someone above me was beaten by someone not in the bracket. Wolverine and Classic Storm, for what it's worth.

SynthOrange, I like the idea. Just need a few more Modern Hawkeye covers, he does seem like a good option. Although Wolverine has a pretty nice crit multiplier, too.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Wait, if I place #1 in a tournament I only get the #1 prize and not everything else below that bracket?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Eddain posted:

Wait, if I place #1 in a tournament I only get the #1 prize and not everything else below that bracket?

Yes. Which is why everyone's trying to carefully aim for the Thor bracket.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Erebus posted:

Yes. Which is why everyone's trying to carefully aim for the Thor bracket.

Not everyone :smug:

Actually first in my bracket. High level Thor and wolverine is just meat grinding through Thor Cstorm teams. Cstorm has such a low hp that I can usually knock her out in 2-3 turns. Then I got my yellow up and that gives me 1-2 wolverine greens. Then I'm flinging 300 damage a turn without abilities so it usually over pretty quick.

Edit: hahaha I got 603 damage in a single match. This is a 5 of a kind yellow with a critical tile. By the end of the cascade I dealt something like 1200 damage.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 11, 2013

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I don't know whats more impressive, the hit count or the fact that you got a screenshot just in time.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I gotta get me some Wolverine covers. Can't complain, though, Iron Man 40's critical spam machine has been working pretty well.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Haha I almost fell for a trap team. High level Cstorm level 1 black widow. I almost attacked black widow for a 1 hit ko. Luckily I took Cstorm off my team so I wouldn't have lost. It was very clever team though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shwqa posted:

Edit: hahaha I got 603 damage in a single match. This is a 5 of a kind yellow with a critical tile. By the end of the cascade I dealt something like 1200 damage.

I just got a 1001 damage 3 tile critical match on my Wolverine/Daken team.