Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

FrozenVent posted:

MANPADS got a heck of a whole lot better, and the people getting bombed these days don't have much by way of an integrated air defense network. Also, stealth.

Also, look-down radar is a lot better now that it used to be; flying low isn't automatic stealth mode anymore.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm sure 'all-weather' was thrown in there, too.

Super-low-level flight is hard as hell in the best of conditions, when the B-52 was switched from high- to low- altitude strike profiles they had a bunch flat out break apart from the stresses before they figured out what needed changing.
What needed to be changed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

grover posted:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

grover posted:

Also, look-down radar is a lot better now that it used to be; flying low isn't automatic stealth mode anymore.

The rudder needed tweaking and strengthening, IIRC. Low-level crosswinds did bad things to it

E: dammit

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Koesj posted:

Some less successful designs that got into series production:

Myasishchev M-4
Vickers Valiant
F-102
Tu-22

These are good suggestions. The Tu-22 'Blinder' was was an awesome looking aircraft that was basically terrible and frequently killed its crew. The fact that it had probably the worst ergonomics of any Soviet aircraft (like pilots would regularly tie strings to awkward to get at controls throughout the cockpit) makes it a strong contender. Also, the USSR pulled the Hornet-Super Hornet trick when developing a successor: the Backfire is the Tu-22m.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Does the Tu-22M still have the rear 23mm cannon?

Dirk Diggler
Sep 28, 2001

"Jack says you've got a great big cock."

Is that picture from a few years ago? There's five goblets face-up and I believe there's only four Raiders left, with one being too sick to travel to the ceremony this weekend.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
When I was a little kid I wrote Jimmy Doolittle a letter, since I thought the Tokyo Raid was amazing.

He sent me back an autographed copy of his autobiography, which was pretty great.

Also it wasn't fantastically successful or famous or anything, but I always thought the F-101 Voodoo looked sexy as gently caress.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Mortabis posted:

I'm not sure, but I do recall reading that the Russians developed flare or some other countermeasure rounds to fire out of the tail turrets, so they might still have a reason to keep them around.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

What made the Starfighter's ground-attack mission different? Was it doing supersonic low level bombing as opposed to subsonic?

In the days before things like GPS and terrain-following radar flying nap of the earth profiles was a pretty hazardous activity no matter what plane you were in. Couple that with the fact that the F-104 was extremely fast, had a very high stall speed, was generally really unforgiving in flight, and had extra weight added with bombs and whatnot and you had what amounted to an overloaded hot rod on a wet street at night with no windshield wipers. To that end, a huge percentage of the Luftwaffe losses in were controlled flight into terrain which doesn't really imply any particular problem with the aircraft but rather with training and general usage.

But yeah someone in large part at the behest of Lockheed decided that the F-104 was just a great low level delivery system for tactical nukes which is ridiculous when you even look at the thing, let alone when you try and fly it.

Also just for general information no MANPADS system could ever hope to hit a bomber flying at a high subsonic speed on a nap of the earth profile. That stuff is for helicopters and CAS platforms.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Mortabis posted:

Yes, hell even Wikipedia says so :downs:

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

bewbies posted:

In the days before things like GPS and terrain-following radar flying nap of the earth profiles was a pretty hazardous activity no matter what plane you were in. Couple that with the fact that the F-104 was extremely fast, had a very high stall speed, was generally really unforgiving in flight, and had extra weight added with bombs and whatnot and you had what amounted to an overloaded hot rod on a wet street at night with no windshield wipers. To that end, a huge percentage of the Luftwaffe losses in were controlled flight into terrain which doesn't really imply any particular problem with the aircraft but rather with training and general usage.
I've always understood that the problem with F104s flying close to the ground was the fact that while smaller, highly-loaded wings could make for smoother flight at low level, the turbulence could bump the AOA into the stick-pusher range with no stall condition actually existing, which would get the aircraft to the scene of the accident very quickly. Someone above me or in another thread mentioned the force of the F104's pusher being ~70lbf.

It took quite a few dead young German pilots before they figured that one out.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Viggen had a few mysterious accidents early in its career where it seemed like the aircraft just broke apart in flight. When two accidents happened within four days of each other in October of 1975 they grounded the entire fleet and eventually traced the problem to a wing spar that was too weak for the loads involved; when it broke, the entire wing broke loose which just made the entire aircraft pretty much fall apart. They reinforced the spar and then continued flying nap-of-the-earth with it for the rest of its career; of course there were a lot of controlled flight into terrain accidents.

Regarding the Soviet SIGINT trawlers, those were common in the Baltic too. Just as other western air forces, the Swedish air force made it their business to mess with them. Stories (should be taken with the usual salt, of course) include doing a supersonic curve around them with a Draken (apparently this makes the sonic boom hit from several different direction at once; supposedly very unpleasant), flying over them at extremely low altitude only to pull up with full afterburner right on top of them, and doing practice bombing runs at them. In at least one case, that last one almost caused a nasty accident: the aircraft was loaded with inert practice bombs, and the ground crew had accidentally set the onboard computers to "live mode" when they were supposed to be set to simulation only. The pilot did his practice bombing run, hit the bomb release button and sure enough, he got an unpleasant surprise as all sixteen bombs dropped. Fortunately the bomb sight was calibrated for full-weight bombs (the inert practice ones weighed substantially less) and the entire load missed the trawler and went into the sea.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

FrozenVent posted:

MANPADS got a heck of a whole lot better, and the people getting bombed these days don't have much by way of an integrated air defense network. Also, stealth.

Also PGMs. It used to be the only way to make sure you schwacked the target was to scream in at low level and pop off a stick of dumb Mk 82s at really close range...and even then you needed a full four-ship to ensure you destroyed the target. And that's assuming a relatively small target...you talk something the size of the Paul Doumer or Dragon's Jaw bridges and you're talking multiple strikes of dozens of aircraft just to have a relatively good chance of maybe dropping a span if you got really lucky. You start talking about LGBs and you can increase the height and/or standoff from the target, with the laser targeting providing correction for the increased impreciseness of your approach. Throw in GPS-aided INS munitions like the JDAM and now you can loiter at 20,000 ft and drop bombs to a set of coordinates the JTAC is calling in with better precision than you would get from a low level approach with dumb bombs.*

* There's definitely still value to be had in low level strikes for CAS, just using this as an example of what advanced PGMs like the JDAM can get you.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

This might be a bit of a derail, but this is kind of the military wonk thread so gently caress it:

The USS Gerald Ford, the newest carrier in the Navy and first of its class, got christened recently. From what I'm understanding it looks to basically be Nimitz 2.0 - same rough size and shape, but a fuckload more efficient in a bunch of ways and just generally better at doing its job, to the tune of a claimed 25% increase in combat sorties per day. This thread is a giant, hulking monument to the laughable nature of DoD lifespan projections, but that specific hull is slated to be in service well into the 2050s and the current plans are for that class to be the basic USN air platform into the 22nd Century.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
To expand on what iyaayas and grover said, low level attack also has a lot of disadvantages. True airspeed is slower and fuel consumption is higher, limiting your range. Enemy interceptors are (relatively faster) and their weapons have a gross kinematic advantage. The high vs low attack profile decision has gone back and forth more than once based on what the current state of the art was in early warning, engagement radars, and countermeasures. In the specific case of the B-52, the advent of Air Launched Cruise Missiles ended the need for flying in low for nuclear combat toe-to-toe with the Russkies.

:$costoverruns:

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 11, 2013

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Did we really have to call it the Gerald Ford?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Insane Totoro posted:

Did we really have to call it the Gerald Ford?

Hopefully it's not accident prone!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Here's the ceremony. If you skip to about 33:00, you'll skip the introductions, speeches by the Chief of Staff and acting Secretary of the Air Force, etc, and start with the actual Doolittle Raid historian's presentation and roll call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDKPYpkU5Cg

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy

Dirk Diggler posted:

Is that picture from a few years ago? There's five goblets face-up and I believe there's only four Raiders left, with one being too sick to travel to the ceremony this weekend.

Yeah, it's older, but it was the only picture that didn't suck.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

This might be a bit of a derail, but this is kind of the military wonk thread so gently caress it:

The USS Gerald Ford, the newest carrier in the Navy and first of its class, got christened recently. From what I'm understanding it looks to basically be Nimitz 2.0 - same rough size and shape, but a fuckload more efficient in a bunch of ways and just generally better at doing its job, to the tune of a claimed 25% increase in combat sorties per day. This thread is a giant, hulking monument to the laughable nature of DoD lifespan projections, but that specific hull is slated to be in service well into the 2050s and the current plans are for that class to be the basic USN air platform into the 22nd Century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ozS36fM1EU

Neat time lapse of the ship's construction.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cyrano4747 posted:

Each "Nimitz Class" carrier has been significantly different in many key respects than the one before it (well, in pairs mostly); not sure why they suddenly decided to call this one the "Ford Class" but I'm pretty sure it's entirely for political purposes of trying to sell this like it's a new carrier instead of simply an evolution of the one before it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ought ten posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ozS36fM1EU

Neat time lapse of the ship's construction.

I just finished Hornfischer's book on Guadalcanal and I'm freshly pissed off that we now name carriers after politicians, they should switch back to naming them after battles. I know that it's for currying political favor and securing funding, but if you need to curry favor in that fashion to get funding then that's another example of how loving screwed up your procurement process is. "This giant gently caress-off poo poo is objectively necessary to meet the national security objectives developed by the civilian leadership which tells the military what to do, but those 5 Congressmen won't vote to pay for it unless we kiss their guy's rear end."

Like in that video: "Continuing His Legacy," the caption reads. Ford had a legacy? Of what, pardoning criminal politicians? Can we just name one after William Henry Harrison?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

grover posted:

Each "Nimitz Class" carrier has been significantly different in many key respects than the one before it (well, in pairs mostly); not sure why they suddenly decided to call this one the "Ford Class" but I'm pretty sure it's entirely for political purposes of trying to sell this like it's a new carrier instead of simply an evolution of the one before it.

Ehhh, if all of the PR hype is to believed it does seem a bit more of a significant leap forward than the usual tweaks between major builds in the same class. 1,000 fewer crewmen, 25% more sorties per day, apparently some kind of really important reactor redesign, moving from steam to magnets for the cat launch, pushing the conning tower back on the hull to clear more flight deck room, changing up how cable arresting is done to ease up on airframe wear and tear. . . .

I'm as skeptical as the next guy about any kind of DoD announcement about how much lighter, faster, awesomer the next Big Expensive Toy is, but is the Ronald Reagan 25% faster at getting sorties off than the George Washington? It does seem like a whole lot more changes at once than your typical round of updates.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
It is a pretty big jump; just the new reactor design and elimination of the steam catapults significantly changes what a cutaway view of the vessel looks like, even if it's not noticeable on the outside. The exterior is always going to be defined by 'big box to hold planes in, big deck to launch /retrieve on top of that, must fit through canals' so other than shenanigans moving the elevators and tower around there's not much opportunity for significant change. The crew reduction (and various other aspects of the design) are intended to cut the tremendous cost of operating and deploying the ship; Navy crew reduction programs haven't been so great lately so it'll take time to see how well it works.

E: I've seen the Ford put out as kind of a half-class, sort of like the difference between 688 and 688i. Every sub is different, but the first-flights and the i-boats had some significant differences, including reactor core. Sometimes those are referred to as distinct classes, sometimes they're not, depending on who's talking. And it's muddied by the older boats being retrofitted over time with a lot of the improvements of the later ones (and those improvements also being obsoleted and replaced fleetwide.) Things like steam -> electric cats are just way too extensive to affordably retrofit.

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 11, 2013

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Phanatic posted:

I just finished Hornfischer's book on Guadalcanal and I'm freshly pissed off that we now name carriers after politicians, they should switch back to naming them after battles. I know that it's for currying political favor and securing funding, but if you need to curry favor in that fashion to get funding then that's another example of how loving screwed up your procurement process is. "This giant gently caress-off poo poo is objectively necessary to meet the national security objectives developed by the civilian leadership which tells the military what to do, but those 5 Congressmen won't vote to pay for it unless we kiss their guy's rear end."

Like in that video: "Continuing His Legacy," the caption reads. Ford had a legacy? Of what, pardoning criminal politicians? Can we just name one after William Henry Harrison?

I agree wholeheartedly and think that it's doubly bullshit when the person being honored is still alive. At least Reagan was dead by the time he got his boat, but the GHW Bush? Come the gently caress on.

That said, at least they're moving back towards recycling previous boats names, including one that just needs to be afloat. CVN-79 is going to be the USS JFK and CVN-80 is going to be USS Enterprise.

About loving time we have another Enterprise. :colbert:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I agree wholeheartedly and think that it's doubly bullshit when the person being honored is still alive. At least Reagan was dead by the time he got his boat, but the GHW Bush? Come the gently caress on.

That said, at least they're moving back towards recycling previous boats names, including one that just needs to be afloat. CVN-79 is going to be the USS JFK and CVN-80 is going to be USS Enterprise.

Well, the Zumwalt got a Captain James Kirk, so I figure a few years and he'll be ready for his next ship.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Warbadger posted:

Well, the Zumwalt got a Captain James Kirk, so I figure a few years and he'll be ready for his next ship.

I know this was a joke but you have to have been a pilot to captain a carrier.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Snowdens Secret posted:

Do sweet jumps from North Sea waves count?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

Apparently every hull from CVN-80 onward will perpetuate a WW2 carrier.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
We named a sub after Jimmy Carter who was an objectively worse president (hell at least it was a sub so it's out of sight) so meh on the Gerald Ford thing.

Personally I think we should name carriers after states.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Mortabis posted:

We named a sub after Jimmy Carter who was an objectively worse president (hell at least it was a sub so it's out of sight) so meh on the Gerald Ford thing.

Personally I think we should name carriers after states.

States would make sense, though to be fair at least the presidents in question had at least some connection to the USN.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Jimmy Carter had a sub named after him because he was in the Navy and served on subs.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

Jimmy Carter had a sub named after him because he was in the Navy and served on subs.

Right, and Ford got a carrier because he served on carriers.

Fearless posted:

States would make sense, though to be fair at least the presidents in question had at least some connection to the USN.

Well, Eisenhower and Lincoln didn't :v:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's silly, carriers don't fly!!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

Well, Eisenhower and Lincoln didn't :v:

I think being Supreme Allied Commander during the most massive amphibious assault in the history of the world counts as a tie to the Navy.

Lincoln is just Lincoln :v:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Mortabis posted:

Right, and Ford got a carrier because he served on carriers.
And Steve Irwin got an ecopirate ship named after him because... nm

US needs to adopt traditional British naming conventions :colbert:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

mlmp08 posted:

Jimmy carter also had "rallies for calley" when he was governor.

Yes, that Lt. Calley.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Jimmy Carter is the Parche successor that can do all sorts of cool secret squirrel / undersea tapping / etc stuff right?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

movax posted:

The Jimmy Carter is the Parche successor that can do all sorts of cool secret squirrel / undersea tapping / etc stuff right?

"secret squirrel" is an actual jargon term for something?

e- that is awesome if so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

"secret squirrel" is an actual jargon term for something?

e- that is awesome if so

Dunno man, always heard it conjunction with ~~high-speed/low-drag/super black ops/IDR-esque~~ stuff :frogbon: