Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
"Read posts by this user" is 100% causing a force quit for me with the current g+ beta. Is anybody else having the same problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I switched to the beta and it's awesome except for the following:

The app is occasionally assigning 'pull to refresh' to the top of the thread, rather than the bottom.

Fully closing and restarting the app corrects the behaviour, until it happens again.

I'll see if I can be any more specific, but I've only just noticed the issue.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
This is a good app.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Heresiarch posted:

"Read posts by this user" is 100% causing a force quit for me with the current g+ beta. Is anybody else having the same problem?

Works fine for me on 4.1.2 on an SGS3 (it's getting old but it works!)

I like the info tab at the top telling you you're filtering, but it should be temporary and fade out after a few seconds. Maybe add a * prefix to the thread title as a reminder instead, and have the notification balloon do the little quote-arrow effect from the *

And on a totally separate note, if I have a quote open and Home button out, if I go back in through the task manager, it preserves my quote. Returning through the main app icon, it returns me to the previous thread location. I think the two reentry methods should behave the same (preferably with the task manager's style winning).

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ArcMage posted:

Your guess is better than mind, man, I hacked that theme together with a box of scraps on my device. I recall having a similar problem and I have no idea what I did that fixed it.

If SB35 was having the issue, check with em maybe? You might also try selecting the normal dark css, and paging around a bit, then selecting mine. I don't know how it generates the bookmark/forum pageviews but it's not done with that style sheet.

Huh, wild...thanks for the tip! I've tried this:

SB35 posted:

This is the problem I had too. I copy pasted into notepad++ and then saved as .css and loaded it several times. Flipped back and fourth between a default theme and this one and on like the third try it finally worked.

but no luck so far. I've even tried poking around the css files and I'm stumped. Would the app devs maybe have any idea what's going on here?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Heresiarch posted:

Welp, looks like the webview got a lot more aggressive about what thread it runs on. I believe I fixed it.

ArcMage posted:

I switched to the beta and it's awesome except for the following:

The app is occasionally assigning 'pull to refresh' to the top of the thread, rather than the bottom.

Fully closing and restarting the app corrects the behaviour, until it happens again.

I'll see if I can be any more specific, but I've only just noticed the issue.

I know exactly what you're talking about and it's one thing I wanted to fix before this goes out to the market.

keseph posted:

Works fine for me on 4.1.2 on an SGS3 (it's getting old but it works!)

I like the info tab at the top telling you you're filtering, but it should be temporary and fade out after a few seconds. Maybe add a * prefix to the thread title as a reminder instead, and have the notification balloon do the little quote-arrow effect from the *

And on a totally separate note, if I have a quote open and Home button out, if I go back in through the task manager, it preserves my quote. Returning through the main app icon, it returns me to the previous thread location. I think the two reentry methods should behave the same (preferably with the task manager's style winning).
I haven't used it in a while and yeah I agree, I'd even go as far as to call it ugly as well. As for the second, I can look into it but I'm not promising anything.

Penguissimo posted:

but no luck so far. I've even tried poking around the css files and I'm stumped. Would the app devs maybe have any idea what's going on here?

What did you name the file you put into the awful folder? It should be something like spanky.dark.css .

Oh and by the way. I've reworked the HTML/CSS code for the new gif disabling. This will break custom CSS files in the current Beta and soon the market version. You should be able to fix this by replacing the avatar parts with those from the official file.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Sereri posted:

Oh and by the way. I've reworked the HTML/CSS code for the new gif disabling. This will break custom CSS files in the current Beta and soon the market version. You should be able to fix this by replacing the avatar parts with those from the official file.
Is this really needed anymore though? I got the impression that the new webview was way more battey efficient when dealing with gifs.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Minor bug report: if you use the shortcut to this thread found in the Settings interface, then leave the app and return, you will always come back to this thread regardless of wherever you actually left off. It will continue this behavior until you manually kill the program and start it again.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zom Aur posted:

Is this really needed anymore though? I got the impression that the new webview was way more battey efficient when dealing with gifs.

The new webview is available on 4.4/KitKat only. That currently makes up 1.68%, less installs than on loving Froyo devices. Even if we say that all devices currently on 4.3 will get 4.4 that would still be below 30% and that is months from now. So yes, very needed.

Eikre posted:

Minor bug report: if you use the shortcut to this thread found in the Settings interface, then leave the app and return, you will always come back to this thread regardless of wherever you actually left off. It will continue this behavior until you manually kill the program and start it again.

Yeah it opens a second instant of the app on top of the first one for some dumb reason. You can also just back out of the second instance to return to the original instance.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sereri posted:

Ahh, this is what happened. I was about to come post a screenshot of avatars occasionally being stretched horizontally, but this would explain it!

Edit: Aaaand I don't know anything about css. I copied everything starting with div.avatar* into the arc.dark.css file, overwriting everything there that had avatar in it, and this is the result:

hooah fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 11, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

Ahh, this is what happened. I was about to come post a screenshot of avatars occasionally being stretched horizontally, but this would explain it!

Edit: Aaaand I don't know anything about css. I copied everything starting with div.avatar* into the arc.dark.css file, overwriting everything there that had avatar in it, and this is the result:

If you post a pastebin or something I can probably fix it for you.

The new gif disabling is a mixture of 2 things we tried in the past. Gifs in avatars and (basically all) emoticons are replaced with on-the-fly generated static versions. Since the app has to wait for the image to be loaded this only works well for those small images. Gifs in the post content are replaced with our good old friend gif.png and can be shown by clicking on them, then selecting "show image inline".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sereri posted:

If you post a pastebin or something I can probably fix it for you.

The new gif disabling is a mixture of 2 things we tried in the past. Gifs in avatars and (basically all) emoticons are replaced with on-the-fly generated static versions. Since the app has to wait for the image to be loaded this only works well for those small images. Gifs in the post content are replaced with our good old friend gif.png and can be shown by clicking on them, then selecting "show image inline".

Here's the pastebin. I do like the new gif.png; it's way better than having to guess or tap to find out if a given image is a gif or not.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sereri posted:

Gifs in avatars and (basically all) emoticons are replaced with on-the-fly generated static versions. Since the app has to wait for the image to be loaded this only works well for those small images.

I guess the ridiculously small file size limit for avatars is finally paying off.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

hooah posted:

Here's the pastebin. I do like the new gif.png; it's way better than having to guess or tap to find out if a given image is a gif or not.

There was a } cut off, here is the fixed version.

Diabolik900 posted:

I guess the ridiculously small file size limit for avatars is finally paying off.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Sereri posted:

What did you name the file you put into the awful folder? It should be something like spanky.dark.css .

Ah ha, this was it! I had just copied and pasted the text from the Drive file into a text editor and saved it it "black.css", but changing it to spanky.dark.css fixed it. Thanks!!

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 11, 2013

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Sereri posted:

Welp, looks like the webview got a lot more aggressive about what thread it runs on. I believe I fixed it.

The update that I just got fixed it. Thanks.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sereri posted:

What do I need to change in this to get the forum directory pages (and reply page, no that I think about it) black with white text? The actual threads are great, but I prefer a full dark theme

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

XIII posted:

What do I need to change in this to get the forum directory pages (and reply page, no that I think about it) black with white text? The actual threads are great, but I prefer a full dark theme

Nothing. The forum theming comes from the filename. Its themename.forumstheme.css , so for example arc.dark.css. Removing the forumstheme part makes it use the default theme.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sereri posted:

Nothing. The forum theming comes from the filename. Its themename.forumstheme.css , so for example arc.dark.css. Removing the forumstheme part makes it use the default theme.

Wow, that was super easy. Thanks!

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Sereri posted:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Whatever you did with the post options menu, it now looks like butt. :saddowns:

http://www.imgur.com/Xztj5GT.png

Also you slapped a bunch of huge margins into the header again.

In any case, I have no idea how to CSS, and can't find where to adjust the post options menu; if you could tell me which damnable block(s) define it that would be wonderful.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

hooah posted:

This happens to me sometimes but I can fix it by ending the cached process and opening Awful back up again.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Diqnol posted:

This happens to me sometimes but I can fix it by ending the cached process and opening Awful back up again.

I'm running into a similar issue with the classic theme. I think the built in one is broken since I see nothing but a blank Web view using classic.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Running 3.0.3 on my Xoom, no GIFs animate whether avatars, emotes, or external images.
I have verified that disable gif animations is not checked.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Aleph Null posted:

Running 3.0.3 on my Xoom, no GIFs animate whether avatars, emotes, or external images.

:stare: ....they do exist!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Wasn't the Xoom Google's original flagship tablet? It never made it to 4.0?

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I assume she meant Awful 3.0.3? I don't believe there was a 3.0.3 Android release?

In any case I definitely had 4.0 on my Xoom, but I don't know about 4.1+ (though I'm sure there are third party AOSP builds)

edit: I'm a sexist :(

Glimm fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 13, 2013

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about the Awful version number, not the Android OS itself.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If you go into a thread with YouTube embedded into a post, the page will constantly reload and jump around.

I think this is an Android 4.4 bug as it never happened on 4.3.

I'm running Android 4.4 on the 2013 Nexus 7 with the latest beta of Awful.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I am a girl and yes that was the Awful version. As for the Xoom being Google's flagship, that's why I got one. I thought it would get all the updates.
I was wrong. We are at an 4.1.2 and never officially go any higher.
Also, it is only avatars and emotes not animating now after turning stuff off an on.
I will clear my cache to see if that fixes the remaining bit.

Edit: cache cleared, emotes and avatars still don't animate

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Nov 13, 2013

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
When I use the mark thread unread option, I get a pop-up that says "Failed to mark unread. Please check your network connection and try again." every time. If I then refresh or go to another page, the little box with the number of unread posts disappears. I've got a good connection, and don't see any settings that would cause this. I'm on a Droid Incredible 2 v. 2.3.4 (old phone) on the current market version. I also had this issue with the previous market version as well. Any ideas as to what the issue is?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Sereri posted:

The new webview is available on 4.4/KitKat only. That currently makes up 1.68%, less installs than on loving Froyo devices. Even if we say that all devices currently on 4.3 will get 4.4 that would still be below 30% and that is months from now. So yes, very needed.
Oh, right. That includes me too currently. drat. :downs:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sereri posted:

Does this mean that 4.4 devices can use GIFs without trouble?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Correct, the N5 doesn't seem to suffer from battery drain with GIFs enabled.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Oh god 11 new posts what happ.. oh just goons.

Aleph Null posted:

You're right, I found the bug. It's not critical so I'll push this out soonish.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It looks that way. I mean it's possible the webview is no longer displayed as part of the app and adds to the battery drain as Android OS or something like that. But Awful isn't 2nd behind Display when gifs are on so there's that.

lambeth posted:

When I use the mark thread unread option, I get a pop-up that says "Failed to mark unread. Please check your network connection and try again." every time. If I then refresh or go to another page, the little box with the number of unread posts disappears. I've got a good connection, and don't see any settings that would cause this. I'm on a Droid Incredible 2 v. 2.3.4 (old phone) on the current market version. I also had this issue with the previous market version as well. Any ideas as to what the issue is?

Works for me, can anyone else confirm this?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sereri posted:

Works for me, can anyone else confirm this?

Happens to me every once in a while but I can't tell what causes it.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I don't think this is supposed to happen.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

nimper posted:

I don't think this is supposed to happen.

Did you gently caress around with the system fonts? Did you change the font used in Awful?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Sereri posted:

Did you gently caress around with the system fonts? Did you change the font used in Awful?

No and no. Restarting the app fixed it though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Samsung Epic 4G, Cyanogenmod to 4.3, latest Awful beta. After the latest update, on about half of the threads I view, there is a black square that takes up the top left quadrant of the screen whenever I enter a thread. The square extends to the midline of the screen, so it usually ends up covering up a person's avatar and the left half of their post, or at least the first few sentences. I can scroll past it, but it reappears wherever I enter a thread (view last read post makes it appear at the first new post at the top of the screen when the app jumps to it).

I don't have this issue on my Note 10.1 (2013) with a 4.4 version of Cyanogenmod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Cyanogenmod already has 4.4-based versions out?