Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Technically, today was horrible. Looks like a double top and bearish engulfing candle. Real ugly day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sanky Panky posted:

Today's action in $TWTR was not pretty at all.

Opening and closing in the same price is just terrible.
That's actually pretty positive. Closing above the opening price is quite uncommon.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Lightning Zwei posted:

Tell that to the millions that sold off FB after the stock tanked after ER (even though they raped ER) to instead gamble on TWTR this week.

gently caress I called that and didn't bet it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pr0k posted:

Wouldn't have mattered. You wouldn't have been able to buy TWTR at the subscription price.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

pr0k posted:

If you don't call it with money then it doesn't mean anything.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Lightning Zwei posted:

TWTR priced higher than FB? Get the gently caress out of here. I'll buy it next year at $18 like I would've done with FB if I had the money back then.

How many outstanding shares of Facebook are there? How many of Twitter? How many shares are still in private hands? How many more shares will be offered in the future?

These are questions you should go figure out the answers to before you spend another dime on stocks or another minute thinking about investing.

And there are hundreds more questions like these.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

That's actually pretty positive. Closing above the opening price is quite uncommon.

It really isn't. That means the banks who were obligated to step in and keep the price above a certain level on the first day was the only thing keeping the stock from falling.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Trade king isn't letting me short Twitter. Is there some time period before were allowed to short an IPO. Because $45? Come on now.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

District Selectman posted:

Trade king isn't letting me short Twitter. Is there some time period before were allowed to short an IPO. Because $45? Come on now.

Yeah it's usually a long while before you can short these IPOs. Not sure of the actual rules or what not - but it's not any time soon.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Gamesguy posted:

It really isn't. That means the banks who were obligated to step in and keep the price above a certain level on the first day was the only thing keeping the stock from falling.

The IPO price and the market opening price were far too different. The TWTR IPO price was in the 20s. It opened and closed in the 40s. There's no particular reason to think they're providing huge support when it's far more likely they just underpriced the IPO by a shitton. The FB IPO is a good example of what you describe because the IPO price was 38 and throughout the opening day there were clear institutional supports at the 38 price level when the market was clearly forcing it lower.

Of course, there's a pretty good chance TWTR will see a decline sometime soon, but so far the IPO looks to have been done well although a lot of money was left on the table.

Put options are available next week.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gamesguy posted:

"The opening market price is close to an unbiased indicator of the closing market price on the first day." First month IPO returns are quite negative on average, and first day stock returns are basically flat.

koolkal posted:

The IPO price and the market opening price were far too different. The TWTR IPO price was in the 20s. It opened and closed in the 40s. There's no particular reason to think they're providing huge support when it's far more likely they just underpriced the IPO by a shitton. The FB IPO is a good example of what you describe because the IPO price was 38 and throughout the opening day there were clear institutional supports at the 38 price level when the market was clearly forcing it lower.

Of course, there's a pretty good chance TWTR will see a decline sometime soon, but so far the IPO looks to have been done well although a lot of money was left on the table.

Put options are available next week.
I'm not sure you two are talking about the same thing, but historically, IPOs are deliberately underpriced: "In our sample of 6,249 IPOs from 1980 to 2001 in Table I, the average first-day return is 18.8 percent." The agent theory is an underwriter reputation effect: firms won't go with an underwriter if the IPO is underpriced too much and the firm leaves too much on the table, and investors won't go with an underwriter if the IPO is underpriced too little and they can't get a large enough return.

Both cites from http://bear.warrington.ufl.edu/ritter/publ_papers/ritterwelch.pdf

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 8, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Also, Yahoo Finance got a redesign today and I think I like it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

If you want options then there's a time period. If you just want to borrow the stock it might take a little bit before your broker has it available. Of course in that situation you always have to be prepared that your broker will force you to buy at the top right before it drops to cover demand.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
bi did a profile on me.. god poo poo

http://www.businessinsider.com/20-under-20-in-finance-2013-11#curtis-knee-14-began-investing-a-year-ago-he-likes-value-investing-1

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Interesting that a lot of them recomend Market Wizards. Couldn't pick a better one myself.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

evilwaldo posted:

Technically, today was horrible. Looks like a double top and bearish engulfing candle. Real ugly day.
...and the bulls came charging back with a massive troll face to the bears and people who got short yesterday.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Ugh I feel like Im seeing the next generation of leaders of Enron, LTCM, Bear Sterns and Lehman all in one spot reading those profiles.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 8, 2013

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

I laughed pretty hard at this.

quote:

Andrew Kuhn, 17, had a great introduction to finance. In 9th grade English class he bought 100 shares of Citigroup using his iPhone. He bought it for $3 per share and then the stock shot up to $40 after doing a reverse split. He thought he made a bunch of money until he learned what a reverse split was.

I can just imagine the boner a HS kid had when he thought his investment went up 1000% in a couple minutes to then be let down.

Thanks for sharing this, great read. Amazing to see how young and talented some of these kids are. Refreshing to see what some of our future leaders are doing.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

There are so many golden quotes in this article:

"Role Model: "Wow, there are so many great people out there to choose from but if I had to pick one I would say Carl Icahn, the track record speaks for itself.""
*Shudder*

"Favorite Book: "I haven’t read any books on options. In today's world, we literally have the best/top education at the tip of our fingers via the Internet. Every single ounce of my knowledge has come from tastytrade.com." "
from the kid who didn't know what a reverse split was.

I also want to note that almost all the kids are from high net worth areas. It shouldn't be particularly surprising as to how they're able to do this at such a young age.

Lelorox fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Nov 9, 2013

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Lelorox posted:

There are so many golden quotes in this article:

"Role Model: "Wow, there are so many great people out there to choose from but if I had to pick one I would say Carl Icahn, the track record speaks for itself.""
*Shutter*

I can't be the only one who finds this post much funnier than the quote it's making fun of.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

There are a couple of brokers such as Colmex that lets you short IPOs.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
that article hurts my soul

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Tesla owner crashes into a trailer hitch, fire ensues, driver leaves uninjured: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101180014

How the hell do you crash into a trailer hitch? What are the chances a normal car would have caught fire? And now the NHTSA wants to open an investigation into the safety of the Model S? The fact that the driver wasn't hurt is completely overlooked and I think I might have to dump my shares just because people are stupid and markets are stupider.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/model-s-owner-tennessee

The owner describes what happened.

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
Seems to be a common theme with hitting awkward metal objects that gain enough leverage to puncture the battery compartments. Normal cars probably wouldn't catch on fire because there usually isn't much fuel near the front of the car, but cost damage would probably be about the same (total any vehicle), and a higher risk of losing control because skid plates are generally the only "protection" on normal cars for critical components compared to thick metal plates around the battery compartments in a Tesla. But fire makes for dramatic pictures, so whatever.

Never bought into Tesla, battery issues worry me, but it's an exciting company. I look at it like LinkedIn. Great idea, great product, great company, but the stock is just out of hand.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What battery issues worry you, specifically? Toyota has had their hybrid out a decade and there really hasn't been anything of major import.

There are thousands of car fires per year in US.

Edit=Over 150k car fires a year

Source http://www.nfpa.org/safety-information/for-consumers/vehicles

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 10, 2013

scavok
Feb 22, 2005
Batteries losing charge capacity as they're used, and the cost to replace them. Honestly it's probably not a big deal in the market Tesla is in at the moment, but as their cars get cheaper for wider markets it'll be a growing concern. It's not as big of a deal in the Prius since it's a hybrid and there are fewer/cheaper batteries to replace.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Electric is never going to be more than a niche market unless there are huge changes in batteries and even then it's questionable. Innovation in combustion engines, especially diesel, has already well outpaced electric efficiency and carbon footprint.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

scavok posted:

Batteries losing charge capacity as they're used, and the cost to replace them. Honestly it's probably not a big deal in the market Tesla is in at the moment, but as their cars get cheaper for wider markets it'll be a growing concern. It's not as big of a deal in the Prius since it's a hybrid and there are fewer/cheaper batteries to replace.

Can you be more specific? Toyota and Tesla both have crazy good 8 year battery warranties.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

MrBigglesworth posted:

Can you be more specific? Toyota and Tesla both have crazy good 8 year battery warranties.

Would this type of warranty be a serious liability?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MrBigglesworth posted:

After 8 years you're on your own? Isn't a Tesla an extremely expensive sports car that for my money I'd want to be driving for more than 8 years?

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Tony Montana posted:

After 8 years you're on your own? Isn't a Tesla an extremely expensive sports car that for my money I'd want to be driving for more than 8 years?

I know I would, but the people who actually own an S now strike me as the type who would trade in for each generational update and/or pay cash for repairs when the warranty expires.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

My stocktwits was blowing up for XLF this morning with people going on about financial sector stuff, which I have play money in, and I can't seem to figure out why. Someone was talking about a big conference for Merrill today? I don't see anything on the economic calendar and am confused. Anyone know what the hell this is about?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Tony Montana posted:

1) People who buy "extremely expensive sports cars" rarely keep them 8 years. They're the type to lease for a few years and then trade in for something newer and shinier.

2) Tesla, as part of their charging stations, is planning to do battery swaps - there are videos of them doing it floating around out there. If your battery is degraded, you have the option of keeping the swapped pack and being charged some fee for the level of degradation. So you're not screwed and replacement (though it could be expensive) seriously takes less time than it takes to fill a gas tank.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

It's been said, but I don't think you understand how luxury car owners work.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I hear you guys, but even with your replacement.. you're looking at a depreciation value that you have to factor this 8 year thing into. A Ferrari is worth a shitload new, and depending on the model just goes up over time, or dips as it's not the newest anymore and if you hang onto it long enough it goes up again because it's rare. You don't have to swap out the engine of it, if it's not been driven by idiots and maintained. Trading in a Tesla, how close are we to the 8 year warranty expiry?

I'm not a sportscar owning guy, so no I don't know this market. It just seems like an extra liability. But if you're in 'who cares, I have penis washing women like Eddie Murphy in Coming to America' territory, I can't apply economic sense to it anyway. Don't know the market, shouldn't be loving around with the stock.. so I guess Tesla isn't one for me.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Schwab IMPACT conference starts today

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Making bank on GOGO today. Definitely worth a trade for the near term, 20% of the float was short, institutional ownership at 25% of float

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Leviathan posted:

Schwab IMPACT conference starts today

Thanks!

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I decided I really want TWTR partly because I'm a big fan. I locked in a limit order at $24, I kinda just wanna hold out that I can get it for cheaper than it's at currently.

I have a thesis that mobile advertising is hard to do (or so I hear) and Twitter's "Promoted Tweets" do it very well. I know when I'm looking at my feed I always read them and consider them while I stridently filter out other advertising like Firefox with Adblock Plus. I'm not sure how that feeling really translates to financial viability though or if anyone would even agree with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Comb Your Beard posted:

I decided I really want TWTR partly because I'm a big fan. I locked in a limit order at $24, I kinda just wanna hold out that I can get it for cheaper than it's at currently.

I have a thesis that mobile advertising is hard to do (or so I hear) and Twitter's "Promoted Tweets" do it very well. I know when I'm looking at my feed I always read them and consider them while I stridently filter out other advertising like Firefox with Adblock Plus. I'm not sure how that feeling really translates to financial viability though or if anyone would even agree with that.

I have to question how much you really want it if you put in a limit order at a 44% discount from the current price.