Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Anoia posted:

I tried doing something simple for a local comic con this year. I think my lack of Hellboy accompaniment blew it for me, cause this is the only picture that exists.

Nobody recognized me, and I couldn't pay the goony fucks with professional cameras to take my picture.

I guess I went to niche... Oh god, is Hellboy really niche, or do people only recognize goth movie Liz? In any case, I learned I absolutely hate wearing wigs. This makes my future options difficult.

It's good, and I recognize it but that's only because I am a Hellboy freak. If you had Big Red with you it would have gone down better.

Love the pouches though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Forgive the cords in the background, but this is my first completed cosplay.

The leatherwork was done by me, and I made the buckle by combining some Halloween decorations with some sculpting and some styrene, then made a mold.

I'm pretty satisfied with the costume overall, but I need to finish up the gun props. They still look like the cheap Halloween store decorations that they actually are; hopefully some good painting will fix that.

This one's a little blurry but still shows off the costume well.

Is anyone from this thread going to be at RI Comic Con?

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
Nice job. Now it just needs dirtied up. ;) it's very well done, congrats.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Killer_Frost posted:

Nice job. Now it just needs dirtied up. ;) it's very well done, congrats.

You're not the first person to say that, but there's a part of me that says "NO WAY am I going to dirty up something I spent all this time and money on!" Even though I realize it'll probably help.

Pagan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 28, 2013

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Pagan posted:

You're not the first person to say that, but there's a part of me that says "NO WAY am I going to dirty up something I spent all this time and money on!" Even though I realize it'll probably help.

That's always the hardest part. You have this beautiful, pristine thing that you've worked so hard on. Bled on, cause you don't really love it unless you've bled for it right? And it's amazing. Then you realize to do justice to the character you need to make it look lived in.

Even if you make it look less crisp I think that would help, but he IS living on a ship. Keeping it stark white would be impressive.

It is beautiful work though.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
ugh its been a while but basically there was a huge loving disaster with the original chroming process... long story short if anyone needs chrome work done PLEASE contact http://coatofchrome.com this dude saved my life and was so awesome and fast and helpful.

and I finished up the jacket!

Now all that is left is to assemble the electronics... debating if it is worth the work/effort to get it all done before thursday/Halloween.

edit: gloves!

duros fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 29, 2013

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011
I got to see that Scorpion costume in action! He got a generic ninja costume for the hood, pants, and tabi (the Japanese shoes with the split toe). The hood's a little loose, but magnets glued to the mask and sewn into the hood work like a CHARM. It pulls off easily and clicks right back into place. Maybe a touch off center, but I'm going to blame the hood for being baggy.

Of course, pretending it doesn't come off at all makes for better photo ops.

(I love that last one so much.)

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
So even though the arms/tentacles had to be scrapped Octodad went over well at our party. Wanna do some touchups and make arms that fit before next wear but here is where I got in a week.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Could someone talk about their experiences using worbla vs. eva foam + some sort of resin?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Super 3 posted:

Could someone talk about their experiences using worbla vs. eva foam + some sort of resin?

Sure. I did eva with a resin coating for my Warhammer 40k shoulder pads and it had a decent surface, didn't get gouged and took paint well, but it would definitely have cracked if the pieces flexed and it was a bit ripply where the resin didn't totally level. Worbla is different, it's like molding a flat sheet over stuff. That sounds so vague but how I've done it is make the base pieces out of thin EVA then cover it front and back in worbla. That way, it's easier to keep your surfaces smooth. The worbla/eva sandwich piece will flex without cracking and has a decently resilient surface. Worbla wants to bubble as the hot air inside expands so you have to pop it with a pin and smooth it a lot. If you want to know anything specific feel free to ask!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Do I need a lot of ventilation and a mask / goggles when applying Bondo, or just sanding it?

My general advice with this sort of thing is "if you've got it, use it". Assuming your mask has the correct vapour filter, it can't HURT to use it, I use mine even when working outdoors on a windy day 'cause why the gently caress NOT? You'll be needing one anyway for the sanding stage, just pick up an extra filter which is like 5 bucks, for me it's worth it for the peace of mind and avoiding 90% of the smell.

OH, while I'm here, what's a good vegetarian alternative to leather for pouches and belts/strapping? I want them to look old and worn but still tough, it's a cowboy type character. I was thinking reclaimed leather from old sofas would be OK for the soft stuff (I'm not opposed to using secondhand stuff, just to buying it new) but I'm sorta stuck on the thicker stuff. I know I've seen synthetic "leather" belts that are thick and tough, can one buy that stuff as an end user? Ir will I just have to buy the belts as-is and go from there?

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 1, 2013

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

OH, while I'm here, what's a good vegetarian alternative to leather for pouches and belts/strapping? I want them to look old and worn but still tough, it's a cowboy type character. I was thinking reclaimed leather from old sofas would be OK for the soft stuff (I'm not opposed to using secondhand stuff, just to buying it new) but I'm sorta stuck on the thicker stuff. I know I've seen synthetic "leather" belts that are thick and tough, can one buy that stuff as an end user? Ir will I just have to buy the belts as-is and go from there?

I would look into old leather jackets, or used belts from the thrift shop. I've seen some pretty heavy duty stuff there.

Question : For mold making, what's the best price you guys have found in the US? When I made my skull buckle :

I used an entire $40 trial size of Dragon Skin and still needed more. I can see that getting really expensive really fast. What do you guys recommend?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Dragonskin is complete overkill for something that simple, it's designed for doing one part molds for ridiculously complex shapes like antlers which need extreme elasticity and strength. For something as basic as a pour mold for a belt buckle, you can definitely get away with a budget tin-cure silicone rather than an expensive plat-cure one. You can also save enormous amounts of material by careful construction of mold walls that fit the shape of the object, and/or by making skin molds with a solid mothermold (plaster bandage is good for small pieces) rather than making a mold entirely out of solid rubber. For something small and simple you can even look into alternative mold materials like latex.

ether
May 20, 2001

We had a game-themed halloween party yesterday and it was a blast. My wife made 2 complete costumes in the last week or 6 between work and other social things and they turned out outstanding in my opinion. My giant-rear end pirate hat got tons of compliments (and people thought it was a blow-up sadly, chickenwire, fauxleather and a dead prop-crow all the way)

B B Hood from Darkstalkers

LeChuck from Monkey Island 3

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Pagan posted:

Question : For mold making, what's the best price you guys have found in the US? When I made my skull buckle :

I used an entire $40 trial size of Dragon Skin and still needed more. I can see that getting really expensive really fast. What do you guys recommend?

Dragonskin is kind of a bad choice. It's popular because it's a "brand name" product, but it's no different (if not worse, IMO) to standard platsils. I tend to choose polytek silicones over smoothon. (Though, from what I've heard, smoothon is all some people can get.)

Assuming you're in the states, I'd say call some of the well known suppliers to the effects industries, and they'll help you out. Burman industries http://www.burmanindustries.com/estore/home.php is pretty much the go-to for the big name companies like Stan Winston and ADI, another alternative is Brick in the Yard http://www.brickintheyard.com/products.html which a lot of small studios use.

One major consideration you need to make is "How many times am I going to use the mould?". Materials like dragonskin are intended for dozens of runs, and are frequently total overkill for the sort of stuff costumers/cosplayers do. If it's something you're only going to cast a few to a dozen times, and doesn't need to be mechanically perfect to within a micrometer, just use budget Tinsil.

As a final thing, if your mould doesn't need to be stretched out much, you can totally fill out silicone with Cab-o-sil, which is crazy cheap. You do need to know WTF though, so dig around for tutorials online.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I want to buy some proper createx airbrush paints/inks, but I don't know if I should be going for opaque or transparent. It'll mostly be for faux fur, but also maybe for shading and detailing on hard stuff. Any advice?

Hat Butt
Jun 18, 2012
putting together a AOT cosplay for a con in January! Got my swords almost done! (Cause everyone cares so much!) :unsmith:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So I'm working on Apollo's bracelet from Phoenix Wright, and I've 3D printed it. What's the best way to paint it (it's ABS) that won't wear too much from being wear, and also something that won't rub off on my skin? I want it to be a sort of dull gold.

Here's the first prototype, it's big so it fits over my hand, but I have a new version that's in two parts. I'm going to put some magnets in each half to attach more tighlty around my wrist.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Krylon Fusion gold spray paint. Fusion is made to bond with plastic so that it won't wear off.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I got a surprise day off of work, so now my Khorne breastplate is finally coming along!

I spent most of the day today doing the horns and I love how it looks. :woop: You can see in that first shot I built up the overall shape with paper clay, covered it with a worbla skin, then used scraps of worbla to do the ridges. Tomorrow it'll get some big spikes coming up the sides and then it's ready to be painted.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Silhouette posted:

Krylon Fusion gold spray paint. Fusion is made to bond with plastic so that it won't wear off.

I live in a small apartment building so I'm not sure I have the place to spraypaint :( But I'll try it!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Kazy posted:

I live in a small apartment building so I'm not sure I have the place to spraypaint :( But I'll try it!

I do too and I spray paint in my basement storage locker during the winter. I'm going to try using a space heater in my outdoor storage closet, too.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kazy posted:

This is Philly, do it in the street like I do.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
More Khorne progress! Either later today or tomorrow I'm going to go on a spike-making marathon to finish up the hip plates, breastplate, and these bracers, which I just added the skulls to.

After a few weeks of semi-sluggishness I'm finally really getting into this build. I'd been feeling really lethargic what with how early it's getting dark these days where I live so it's very revitalizing to be so immersed in sculpting again. :)

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

McPantserton posted:

More Khorne progress! Either later today or tomorrow I'm going to go on a spike-making marathon to finish up the hip plates, breastplate, and these bracers, which I just added the skulls to.

After a few weeks of semi-sluggishness I'm finally really getting into this build. I'd been feeling really lethargic what with how early it's getting dark these days where I live so it's very revitalizing to be so immersed in sculpting again. :)

These are great, and the breasplate is really fantastic. Makes me think I might be able to tackle some armor sooner than I thought.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Pagan posted:

These are great, and the breasplate is really fantastic. Makes me think I might be able to tackle some armor sooner than I thought.

Thanks! I spent this afternoon doing some big gently caress-all spikes on them and now the breastplate is ready for paint. I can't quite decide what to do on the elbow spike thingers on the bracers but I really like how the handplates and the skulls/chaos emblem look together. The handplates kind of remind me of Bowser's shell...

And totally do armor, woo! It is the best and I don't think it's as tough a learning curve as it seems with all resources and tutorials there are out there.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Blizzcon is now over, so I figured I'd share my final costume since I did post some progress here. I don't bring a camera anymore (impossible to take pics while in costume yourself) so I'm still trying to find shots of myself. This is one of the better ones I've found so far, as it shows everything.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Blizzcon is now over, so I figured I'd share my final costume since I did post some progress here. I don't bring a camera anymore (impossible to take pics while in costume yourself) so I'm still trying to find shots of myself. This is one of the better ones I've found so far, as it shows everything.

You need a pro shoot with that one.

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Used some of the cracks and gap expanding foam to add facial features to my scarecrow mask. I think I may have over done it just a bit on the foam.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

LingcodKilla posted:

You need a pro shoot with that one.

I'm already talking to a photographer to do just that :)

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

duros posted:

ugh its been a while but basically there was a huge loving disaster with the original chroming process... long story short if anyone needs chrome work done PLEASE contact http://coatofchrome.com this dude saved my life and was so awesome and fast and helpful.

That is simply incredible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I'm already talking to a photographer to do just that :)

Oh awesome stomach btw. No idea how you found time to make that and still work out.

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Great color and fabric choices. All around excellent!

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Still some work to do on it (my gas canisters fell off a bit ago) but my scarecrow is starting to take shape.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm considering making a Soviet cosmonaut outfit (focussing on something that looks cool rather than being accurate) and I'm not sure what to do for a helmet. I could use a cheap plastic fancy dress helmet or motorcycle helmet as a base to or somehow build up from scratch.

I'm not experienced in working with the kind of materials people in this thread use, so scratchbuilding seems a bit intimidating. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to use as a base, or how to start on this? Of course, if someone else has made themself an outfit involving a space helmet, any tips would be appreciated!

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm considering making a Soviet cosmonaut outfit (focusing on something that looks cool rather than being accurate) and I'm not sure what to do for a helmet. I could use a cheap plastic fancy dress helmet or motorcycle helmet as a base to or somehow build up from scratch.

I'm not experienced in working with the kind of materials people in this thread use, so scratchbuilding seems a bit intimidating. Does anyone have any suggestions for something to use as a base, or how to start on this? Of course, if someone else has made themself an outfit involving a space helmet, any tips would be appreciated!

I would say your best bet would be to go for a found-object based build. Looking at Google images, the helmets seem to typically have an almost pac-man type shape, so something like a hemispherical swing-bin lid might work as a base, http://www.secure.lunex.co.uk/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/1/3/1359b_3.jpg kind of thing. I would suggest heading to a local walmart and poking around the household goods section where they keep the rubbish bins, tupperware, storage boxes and plastic kitchen equipment like bowls and funnels and see what weird injection molded objects you can find. You might even luck out with car or bike parts at a scrap yard: mudflaps, mirror surrounds, hubcaps and so on can all provide good base shapes for costume parts.

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011
This upcoming week I'm going to likely begin my work on my PAX East costume. This year I'm planning on becoming Dallas from Payday. My plan is currently 3d printing a roughly my head sized template to use to make the mold. Then once I have the mold I guess I'll go into plaster casting or something like that. This will be my first costume that I'm making so I'm pretty new to all this, so I'll likely be posting the progress of how it's coming as well as to hopefully get some pointers on how to improve my mask and make it better! I'm really excited to begin the project though and should hopefully have begun by early next week.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Miker525 posted:

This upcoming week I'm going to likely begin my work on my PAX East costume. This year I'm planning on becoming Dallas from Payday. My plan is currently 3d printing a roughly my head sized template to use to make the mold. Then once I have the mold I guess I'll go into plaster casting or something like that. This will be my first costume that I'm making so I'm pretty new to all this, so I'll likely be posting the progress of how it's coming as well as to hopefully get some pointers on how to improve my mask and make it better! I'm really excited to begin the project though and should hopefully have begun by early next week.

I'm not quite sure what the process you're planning to use consists of. What are you making the actual mask from? What about the mold? are you gonna sculpt the scary clown face in clay or make a computer model and print that?

Miker525
Jan 2, 2011

Fatkraken posted:

I'm not quite sure what the process you're planning to use consists of. What are you making the actual mask from? What about the mold? are you gonna sculpt the scary clown face in clay or make a computer model and print that?

The plan as of now, is to use this 3d model(http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:132930)
and print it large enough so it can be used to create the mold. That's about as far as I fully am right now. I need to still figure out, once I have the mold to go about fully making the mask so it will actually fit me comfortably. I think once I have the mold I can make a plaster cast of my face and then somehow use the mold to build the mask on top of it? Not too sure :/

NOTE: I'm clearly not the most talented person when it comes to stuff like this, but I'm going to try my best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I'm planning to make some Wolverine Claws.. I'd like it to be made out of a plasticy material that's more durable than the balsa wood I used the first time I did it. Ideally I want it to not be too thick so all I have to do is cut it to shape and not do additional sanding.. is there's anything similar to plexiglass that's cheaper than plexiglass I can use?