Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Did the way that enemy match damage work also change in the patch that broke boost damage attack computations? I could have sworn that prior to the juggernaut tournament, damage was done by whoever was currently active on the enemy team (i.e. if the active enemy lvl 5 Black Widow matches red then you'll take her pitiful damage, even if there is a maxed Thor sitting behind her). Now it seems like enemy match damage is always the highest damage amongst the enemy team, with boosts correctly accounted for. In the Iron Man tournament, that meant basic enemy environment matches giving 24 AP, despite your own team jumping in front of boosted IM to match for 9. In the Thor tournament it seems to mean taking hundreds of damage per match until Thor goes down.

I guess this, and boosted damage not factoring into the attack computation for your team, could be intentional to make the game a bit tougher, but it does make massive damage skills even more important, and reduces strategic choice when attacking. I guess the revelation that you can buy boosts with ISO makes up for it a bit, but having Daken occasionally get one-shot by a cascaded 5-match from an enemy storm is quite annoying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Started playing this game yesterday... got a Modern Hawkeye, which I like from a "I like this dude's comic" standpoint.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
How ridiculous is this tournament? With Thor and Wolverine and a buddy (and sometimes not even Wolverine needed) and AP boosts, the other team _doesn't even get to take a turn_ much of the time.

Open with Feral Claws, Feral Claws for damage and four red strike tiles. Mjolnir's Might on Storm Classic, she's out. If you get two yellow matches from what Mjolnir's Might produces, you have Thunder Strike up; boom, enemy Thor's out. Between Mjolnir's Might and Thunder Strike, you likely have cascaded enough to either do Feral Claws or Mjolnir's on whoever the third opponent is, then match red or yellow gems for damage boosted by both strike tiles and the Thor boost.

Cleanup in aisle 4.

triplexpac posted:

Started playing this game yesterday... got a Modern Hawkeye, which I like from a "I like this dude's comic" standpoint.

He has potential, though more as a role player than a frontline guy and you'll need to luck into more of his covers to skill him up. No Pizza Dog covers yet, alas.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Modern hawkeye is basically the worst hero in the game right now. However a 5/5/3 ironman 5/5/3 modern storm and 5/5 black widow is a really good team and are the most common heroes in the game besides hawkeye. Storm just keeps earning you ap, black widow stuns entire teams, iron man cleans up.

Also always spend hero points on more cover slots. They hand out heroic token (same thing as spend 150 hero points for a random 2* cover) pretty frequently. I basically average .5 heroic tokens a day. You will run out of slots way before you run out of free rolls.

Edit: Oops wrong hawkeye. Hawkeye modern owns bones.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 11, 2013

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Oh my, 4633 damage from a double-crit-one-red match!

Shwqa posted:

Edit: Oops wrong hawkeye. Hawkeye modern owns bones.

I was wondering what you were talking about! Modern Hawkeye is great with Daken and Wolverine for shunting all your damage onto the regenerators and dishing out massive damage.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I loving hate boosted Thor and the yellow iron man 40. 6 yellow AP for 6 red AP unless I clear the fuckers out of the bottom of the board? Yeah sure that seems reasonable against a 9 red AP nuke that generates yellow AP.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

death .cab for qt posted:

I loving hate boosted Thor and the yellow iron man 40. 6 yellow AP for 6 red AP unless I clear the fuckers out of the bottom of the board? Yeah sure that seems reasonable against a 9 red AP nuke that generates yellow AP.

You mean a 6 red AP nuke. If you can't beat them...

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Yeah, so it doesn't even really matter all that much if your Thor is underlevelled (33 here, but added 4 covers since yesterday). It would be nice to have Mjolnir cost 6 instead of 8, but what with boosts and getting to go first, the opposing Thor doesn't last long anyway.

Classic Storm from the Thunder token @ 500 points. At least it was the colour I wanted, so not too bad.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I got a green Thor cover, but I already have it at 3 and really prefer his red and yellow abilities. At the same time, no idea how long it'll take me to get 4 more yellow covers, and he's currently at a cap of 54.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Having some sort of trading system would be nice, but yeah, I can see it breaking the game. I've already just junked so many Thor covers now that I've maxed him out.

I went with red 5, yellow 3, green 5. I dont feel I need a lot more damage out of yellow, and being higher level already takes care of a lot of that damage. Green's team wiping ability is always welcome if/when it pops. Red 5 is his bread and butter though. Throw that poo poo everywhere.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
So annoying, every time you go back to do a fight it puts the Thor in and I forgot yet again to swap it and got my rear end beat.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Anybody else randomly losing points without a defeat notification? I just lost 30 points and have nobody to revenge-fight over it, it's getting really loving annoying

Puweyxil
Oct 19, 2001
I like to eat cheese.
Dinosaur Gum

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I got a green Thor cover, but I already have it at 3 and really prefer his red and yellow abilities. At the same time, no idea how long it'll take me to get 4 more yellow covers, and he's currently at a cap of 54.
I've started collecting my extra Thor cards into a second cover. I think it's 2/0/3 a the moment; Some day in the future it may make sense (and be feasible) to have multiple high level Thors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

Anybody else randomly losing points without a defeat notification? I just lost 30 points and have nobody to revenge-fight over it, it's getting really loving annoying

Sometimes I find the calculation gets delayed a bit compared to the notifications, so numbers drop or rise for me without apparent notification.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Bandire posted:

I've been super lucky with Spider Man covers, so having his stun at 2 blue AP is a lifesaver for this crazy tournament. The only problem is I never got around to leveling him up very much. I guess that's where all my ISO will be going this week.

Those Spidey stuns are loving OBNOXIOUS to fight against. It is defintely effective, especially if you're with Classic Storm. You HAVE to kill Storm first or eat Raging Tempest while Spidey keeps gumming you up. It also helps delay someone from taking out your Model 40 Iron Man.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oh, goddammit! Facebook apparently decided my fake account might not be real for some reason and now I have to somehow psychically identify pictures of all you randoms! :arghfist::saddowns:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also somehow there's a south american group mixed in the goon list for some reason and now I keep getting invites from people without a PQ avatar. :v:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

I went 5-4-4 because 12 AP yellow ability is enough. That's two 3-matches with boosts, and 11 AP is pretty marginal increase. It will only let you strike faster (with boosts) off a lucky 5-match, or a 3 and 2+crit, but those are pretty rare. Having Green at 4 brings only brings you to 14, but I feel like I end up at 14 vs 15 more often than 11 v 12.

Regardless, 5-5-3 and 5-5-4 are basically identical since Thor's skill levels don't directly affect damage.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

It's great how apparently I'm breaking TOS because I don't want to spam my friends and family with useless alerts they don't care about.

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom

Julet Esqu posted:

Oh, goddammit! Facebook apparently decided my fake account might not be real for some reason and now I have to somehow psychically identify pictures of all you randoms! :arghfist::saddowns:

I have exactly the same problem, not sure how I'm going to recover this now. Might be worth filling in some profile info if you use a fake account to make it less obvious our something.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I think it happens if you make too many requests at once.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Atomic Mitten posted:

I have exactly the same problem, not sure how I'm going to recover this now. Might be worth filling in some profile info if you use a fake account to make it less obvious our something.

I passed my test by guessing which name wasn't fake. I also found that Google image search of the names often revealed the answer as well. The test isn't timed.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Also somehow there's a south american group mixed in the goon list for some reason and now I keep getting invites from people without a PQ avatar. :v:

I think some people just like to compulsively send friend requests to anyone they see their other friend(s) connect with - I had some crazy lady i'd friended without really looking closely decide it was a great time to talk about Jesus a few nights ago.

Julet Esqu posted:

Yeah, this happened to the fake account my wife's using a few days ago - thankfully I was able to do some fast cheating/informed guessing through my own account to match up names and photos. I'm sure they'd love you to think the damage to their advertising and data mining efforts from using a fake account is horrific.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Deathwing posted:

I think some people just like to compulsively send friend requests to anyone they see their other friend(s) connect with - I had some crazy lady i'd friended without really looking closely decide it was a great time to talk about Jesus a few nights ago.

Haha I got the same lady, I figured "Windy" was just some goon gettin' funny about Jesus. I just ignored the message.

I guess that explains why I'm only receiving ISO from a few of you (thanks Stick Man!). I'll have to weed out my fake Facebook, of all things.

The aftermath of this event is going to be pretty gnarly, level 85 Thors as far as the eye can see. They did mention with the cover revamp from patch R40 they wanted to see more high level 2 star characters instead of every team being Iron-Man/Storm/Widow.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 12, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It might help if you have a name that sounds like a name and not Fakeballs McFuckstick, also.

Around 900 seems like the practical cap on tonight's winnings before the vultures get thick. 1000 will probably be one more Storm Classic or Thor anyway.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Haha I got the same lady, I figured "Windy" was just some goon gettin' funny about Jesus. I just ignored the message.

I guess that explains why I'm only receiving ISO from a few of you (thanks Stick Man!). I'll have to weed out my fake Facebook, of all things.

The aftermath of this event is going to be pretty gnarly, level 85 Thors as far as the eye can see. They did mention with the cover revamp from patch R40 they wanted to see more high level 2 star characters instead of every team being Iron-Man/Storm/Widow.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got questioned about whether I'd heard of JESUS. No, Windy. I'm the only person in the western world who has never heard of JESUS.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Heh, yep, that was the one. Some other guy on my friend list led her on for quite a while, it was pretty amusing.

On another note, anyway, i've gotten a crapton of ISO today, thanks to everyone :) Now if I could only get a couple more Wolverine covers to max him out...

EDIT: So which one of you jokers knows "Bo Clark", who just messaged me wanting to talk about the "LORD and SAVIOUR and the GREATEST thing that everhappened to me JESUS CHRIST the only son of GOD"? :) Gotta love these people, guess i'm doing some culling too :)

Deathwing fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 12, 2013

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Wait, so the friend request with accompanying message "hi do you believe in JESUS?" wasn't one of you assholes loving around?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nope, its someone that's trying to filthy up the friends list. :argh:

Going to cull a few people with non MPQ related avatars unless you're on the goon list.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Nope, its someone that's trying to filthy up the friends list. :argh:

Going to cull a few people with non MPQ related avatars unless you're on the goon list.

Uh... Leave the Peppy Hare avatar. I've been friending people on the list, and associated people with MPQ avatars, but it's my Real Facebook, so I'm keeping it off the list. You know, so assholes don't ask me about JESUS.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Don't cull me SynthOrange! you're one of my biggest contributors - first name James and profile pic is a dude and a chick. Is it even possible to check the list vs the real names since I don't think people put anything but SA username and PvP name on the list?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I can just check the fb link on the list. If it's not, just edit it to put your name in. If you still get culled, just request on me again.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
We're at least three tourneys away from getting a Jesus cover anyway.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Man having a fake facebook account is more work than I thought it would be. Sorry from Spence InBlue if I accidentally deleted any goons from my list, it was an accident!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

With great iso power, comes great responsibility to maintain your facebook account.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Yeah, I need to cut down my list too. It's hard to tell who's just a lurker and who's some random weirdo, but I shouldn't have 250 friends with less than 100 names on the spreadsheet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurkers :argh:

Don't cull me, I desperately need ISO and have a sweet Magneto profile pic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Been spending my reward iso from fights on +3 all and +3 yellow/red boosts. Not making much Iso, but I'm shooting the gently caress through the ranks.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I got the last covers to level my Thor to max after momentarily breaking 800, so I switched over to the Shield Training pvp for banking up some ISO because I'm not profiting much doing that same thing every fight.

I'm trying to save a bunch towards the end of the week for that very purpose too, the final night of this is going to be a shitshow. Using those two boosts are letting me beat teams I normally would have no business attacking in just 0 - 2 turns.

If we got some lightning rounds during the week just for ISO/variety, that'd synergize with this pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Ghostlight posted:

Lurkers :argh:

Don't cull me, I desperately need ISO and have a sweet Magneto profile pic.

I was cross referencing with the spreadsheet first. Most of the people I ended up deleting were from South America or the Middle East. I tried not to feel too racist about it.