Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Thanks guys, I think I'll keep using my android phone and switch to Unicom. Also, I want to come to Shanghai for this goon meat. Where should I stay in terms of hostel? I also want to shop til I drop (for clothing), where's a good place to do this?

How much do you want to spend? And how many days?

http://www.hotels.com/ho277436/le-tour-traveler-s-rest-youth-hostel-shanghai-china/ This place is decent, somewhat soft mattress for dorm beds.

If you are on a budget, you can share a bed with me, I'm staying in a "large bed" room. Other goons might offer their couch, don't quote me on this. As for shopping, just use Vancl.

PM wechat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

mrgoodtrips posted:

I'd rather teach adults but it looks like the odds are I'll be teaching kids.

Adults are boring as poo poo, dude.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I thought I hated kids until I taught all ages, adults are parasites.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mrgoodtrips posted:

Few leads so far. English First seems like the one to avoid. Have you heard anything about Shane English? I'd rather teach adults but it looks like the odds are I'll be teaching kids.

Shane is going to be just as bad, if not worse. These companies have predatory policies too about how much notice you have to give to quit and get a letter of recommendation. You have to have the letter by the way to get a new work visa in China. Unfortunately it usually ends up being too long of a time period to quit and get a better job at an actual school. Almost like they plan it that way or something. :shrug:

I've never met anyone in Mainland China who worked a cram school job and liked it. The qualifications for teaching at regular schools and colleges are so low too, with better setups, that I don't know why anyone would choose something like English First other than complete ignorance about how things work over here. This is especially true for certified teachers. I've met and read stuff online from teachers with actual credentials working at these places and I want to slap them for making maybe 1/3 of what they could be making with better benefits and less hours.

Who knows, maybe you might get lucky and a college will have a runner over Chinese New Year?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I got my first university job because one of their foreigners died.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Shane is going to be just as bad, if not worse. These companies have predatory policies too about how much notice you have to give to quit and get a letter of recommendation. You have to have the letter by the way to get a new work visa in China. Unfortunately it usually ends up being too long of a time period to quit and get a better job at an actual school. Almost like they plan it that way or something. :shrug:

I've never met anyone in Mainland China who worked a cram school job and liked it. The qualifications for teaching at regular schools and colleges are so low too, with better setups, that I don't know why anyone would choose something like English First other than complete ignorance about how things work over here. This is especially true for certified teachers. I've met and read stuff online from teachers with actual credentials working at these places and I want to slap them for making maybe 1/3 of what they could be making with better benefits and less hours.

Who knows, maybe you might get lucky and a college will have a runner over Chinese New Year?

I liked my cram school job when I taught. It was a pretty large cram school that focused on Japanese training (and was well regarded here, I know our Japanese FTs were really highly paid and our classes weren't cheap, though.) as well as stuff like math/science/"Gao kao" English, etc... The English department was made up of 7 teachers and was by far the smallest department in the school, but we were generally treated well. Apartments were paid for (and were nice, for Hangzhou anyway), salaries were relatively high and hours weren't bad. There were a few issues, mainly relating to time off and overtime, but since working outside of ESL in China I've found these are more "China" than "Cram school" problems.

The owner of our company had been using Japanese FTs since the early 90s, though, so the company was pretty experienced with working with non-Chinese. Also they had a good reputation so kids passing tests, getting good reports from their actual schools was sought after. A student I had (who had stellar English before I ever taught her) won a Zhejiang provincial level English competition and said I was a good teacher, so I got a random 4k bonus one day.

Cram schools are generally as good as their management is. Mine was definitely the exception since it was a 20 year old, non-branded school... but they do exist.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

If you are on a budget, you can share a bed with me, I'm staying in a "large bed" room.

:catstare:

Don't let his kindness fool you. He'll insist on being the big spoon.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

There aren't THAT many international school jobs, and that's the only thing I've come across that pays that much. Most of the real school and college jobs you'll find posted publicly are either poo poo, pay half what the language mills pay, or both.

edit: If you've got any good leads on something decent that would take a commercial ESL victim/veteran, I'm looking. I think my formerly pretty good ESL employer may be about to implode.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 11, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You can have my job. Barring a miracle they'll be hiring for my position this spring.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Take his job so I can tell you to quit it.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

mrgoodtrips posted:

Few leads so far. English First seems like the one to avoid. Have you heard anything about Shane English? I'd rather teach adults but it looks like the odds are I'll be teaching kids.
I've heard mixed things about like every cram school in Chengdu, the mileage seems to vary by location. Also, listen to this guy:

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I work at UESTC and we have a couple leaving at the end of this semester for medical reasons who will need to be replaced for february, my boss keeps asking me if I know anyone so pm me and I can give you her contact details.
Do people really call it UESTC? That sounds slightly more difficult to say than where I work, SWJTU.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You guys do know that if you work at a university, you usually have enough free time that you can tutor on the side and make more money than exclusively tutoring. That way you can get to China pretty easily and then pick and choose who you work for on the side based on their reputation. This is opposed to coming over here and working for an ESL pimp.

I don't have any leads at the moment, pm me in about 6 months I might have something.

EDIT: I know it's rough coming to China with no context of what's a good job or not and having no idea of if your employer is exploitative or not. Unless you have real credentials and go through a international teaching fair, you're going to have a harder time finding an international school job. Just focus on getting into China legally and a job that lets you transfer pretty painlessly. EF though is not the job for that since they have pretty predatory policies. Also, though university jobs usually pay less, they're a lot more painless than cram schools and still let you pay off some of your debts or obligations while still living relatively comfortably. After you have two years in China under your belt, a lot more doors open up as well.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 12, 2013

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I'd heard EF isn't too bad if you're employed in an actual corporate branch (i.e. one owned and operated by the main company) since those are the ones they try to use to promote the brand. Get into a franchisee one though and all bets are off, I've heard pretty much nothing good about them anywhere.

I know a couple that were teaching in a Shane school in Tianjin that quite enjoyed it but again the problem with them is they've got some slightly shady contract terms and are pretty loose when it comes to selling franchises so it might be good but odds are the place will be a bit of a nightmare.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Zuiko-Digital posted:

Also, I want to come to Shanghai for this goon meat.

caberham posted:

If you are on a budget, you can share a bed with me...

PM wechat?

:wink:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

THE CHINA MEGATHREAD XCLVI: Sunday mornings in bed with Caberham.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

EDIT: I know it's rough coming to China with no context of what's a good job or not and having no idea of if your employer is exploitative or not. Unless you have real credentials and go through a international teaching fair, you're going to have a harder time finding an international school job. Just focus on getting into China legally and a job that lets you transfer pretty painlessly. EF though is not the job for that since they have pretty predatory policies. Also, though university jobs usually pay less, they're a lot more painless than cram schools and still let you pay off some of your debts or obligations while still living relatively comfortably. After you have two years in China under your belt, a lot more doors open up as well.

Everything that applies to language mills CAN also apply to universities, and more. For instance, one university I interviewed with wanted me to work a schedule that would have put me on their shuttle bus for a minimum of 3 hours per day, possibly 6. I think they were counting on me not knowing how long it can take to go that far in Beijing. Universities aren't automatically better.

Also, if you're coming from overseas, the fact that some universities (Beiwai) sell their name to anyone wanting to buy, so you may be led to believe you'll be working for a university but it's a private company that isn't even a franchise, they're just using the name.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Also, if you're coming from overseas, the fact that some universities (Beiwai) sell their name to anyone wanting to buy, so you may be led to believe you'll be working for a university but it's a private company that isn't even a franchise, they're just using the name.

That's actually illegal now. Since September the 1st the new, sharper interpretation of "working" in China means that where you actually work is understood to be your de facto place of work.

But goodness yes, due diligence out the wazzoo.

[edit]

One also has to watch for the "private college" within a university. Which is also very poo poo.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 12, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GuestBob posted:

That's actually illegal now. Since September the 1st the new, sharper interpretation of "working" in China means that where you actually work is understood to be your de facto place of work.

But goodness yes, due diligence out the wazzoo.

[edit]

One also has to watch for the "private college" within a university. Which is also very poo poo.

I mean there are a bunch of schools that are named "Beijing Foreign Studies University Such and Such" or otherwise have Beiwai in the name that aren't actually Beiwai, they're private companies just using the name, and some of them hire foreign teachers. Some of these offer classes for passing Beiwai's test-your-way-to-a-degree tests, at at least two I'm passingly familiar with seem legit. There are kids english schools and such that look from the outside no different from anything else, and IIRC, even kindergartens using the Beiwai name and/or logo.

Anyhow, if the company is licensed to hire foreigners, I don't see how it'd be any different from any language mill hiring them, legality-wise.

Could you elaborate on the private college thing?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

Anyhow, if the company is licensed to hire foreigners, I don't see how it'd be any different from any language mill hiring them, legality-wise.

Could you elaborate on the private college thing?

Ah, I thought you meant that they were unlicensed and/or just using the name for advertising purposes - like, pulling a bait and switch number.

A few universities in China are beginning to operate colleges within colleges which are legally and financially distinct from their "parent" (which may or may not have an originating relationship with the "daughter") university. They are run in the same place, may even rent some of the facilities such as library access and, on occassion, teaching staff, but they don't go through the same admissions processes, are universally private businesses and have little to no structured oversight beyond the rather cursory "validation" process - which are mostly instituion internal anyway. They are essentially a corruption powered money pump.

There was a story from Jinan recently about one of these places which had apparently duped half of its students into believing they were at the genuine university and when the program collapsed everyone was garment rendingly sad.

Several university chiefs have been arrested on corruption charges during the past five years, so maybe instituions are getting a bit more wary about this.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.danwei.com/university-diploma-scam-in-jinan/

Is this the one you're talking about?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Yo.

This one was more overtly illegal than most though. There are ones which are more established and semi-legitemate, in the way that the "partnership programs" with foriegn universities are legitemate (i.e. "Yay! A loop hole in current legislation which allows us to set independent admissions criteria to create a money pump!")

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Tom Smykowski posted:

Do people really call it UESTC? That sounds slightly more difficult to say than where I work, SWJTU.

Locals call it kejida but that usually gets you a blank look from English speaking folks so they just stick with UESTC, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China is even more of a mouthful though.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005

GuestBob posted:

THE CHINA MEGATHREAD XCLVI: Sunday mornings in bed with Caberham.

At least he takes me out to brunch, hussie!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

tacoman165 posted:

At least he takes me out to brunch, hussie!

He messaged me on WeChat to have the meet at my place - but who knows what sordid affairs he actually wants to get up to in there..?
I agreed before I saw his bed-sharing offer :ohdear:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

He messaged me on WeChat to have the meet at my place - but who knows what sordid affairs he actually wants to get up to in there..?
I agreed before I saw his bed-sharing offer :ohdear:

I'm sorry I will sleep on the finest mattresses BY HANTING ALL SEASONS :smug:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
:siren:GOON MEET SHANGHAI, NOVEMBER 16 SATURDAY:siren: This goon meet ain't Chengdu, we don't flake

Contact me wechat (caberham) or PM me, or email [username] [dot] [spam] popular mail rhymes with doodle. Oh and of course, everyone is welcome (but beware of nerd/awkward chat)

It's a special 2 parter all day long meet: 2 meets: 1 goon

:pcgaming:(A) Afternoon - 2PM, SATURDAY NOVEMBER 16: Zhenping lu station, exit, 4 surface side:pcgaming:

Yes, BadAstronaut is very gracious in opening up his sky palace home for us filthy internet neck beards. There will be food, snacks, beverages : non alcohol like mountain and maybe some wine or whatever booze we can find. Basically, just hang out in the afternoon, play video games, chat, play game of thrones/Pandemic the board game and chill out. Then head out for dinner

:pcgaming: (B) Dinner- 6:30 PM, SHANGHAI SLIDERS - http://www.shanghaisliders.com/ :pcgaming:

Recommended by Jimbob. Should be an awesome place. Plus it's the French concession, so I'm sure there are a bajillion places for food or drink as well.

Goony buttery roll call

• Bad Astrounaut
  • Bad Astronaut's room mate
  • RocknRoll
  • JimBob
  • TruAvatar
  • AfroNinja
  • caberham
  • Zuiko-Digital

Unknowns?
  • TruAvatar +1?
  • AfroNinja +1?
  • Lenttttt - (tell us about crazy Chinese expats, please come)
  • Calyn?
  • Calyn +1?

Goons with bad timing
  • Cheng goon Crew - Tom, going to Beijing instead of Shanghai pssssshhhh
  • Magna is one week late
  • BlinkyZero - Don't laugh at his job, it's reserved for ArgleBargle.
  • FearCotton - Aiiiyaaaaaaaa

And whole else did I miss? Anyways, I'm sure it will be fun!

caberham fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Nov 12, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Aggh double post

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

God drat it, I'm still pissed we're missing this.

Sliders! :qq:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
There is a private college that pays to use the name of the uni I work at, so it's Southwest Jiaotong University HOPE COLLEGE. Apparently the guy that started it has a bunch of private colleges around Sichuan and/or China. The reason he is famous, according to co-workers, is he was previously a criminal and spent time in jail. Then upon release he became an upstanding citizen and started opening schools. Also he became a millionaire.

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Locals call it kejida but that usually gets you a blank look from English speaking folks so they just stick with UESTC, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China is even more of a mouthful though.
I've been to that part of town like once. On accident. After I got lost on my bike and stumbled onto a weird village surrounded by farms in between 2nd and 3rd Ring Road.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
No +1 for me. She's in Nanjing for a conference.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

truavatar posted:

No +1 for me. She's in Nanjing for a conference.

How convenient. And I suppose next time she's going to be at the dentist, and the next time she's going to have to be at a funeral, and the next time she's out of the country on business? Pfffft. Nothing wrong with admitting you're single, man...

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

How convenient. And I suppose next time she's going to be at the dentist, and the next time she's going to have to be at a funeral, and the next time she's out of the country on business? Pfffft. Nothing wrong with admitting you're single, man...

Um. He's married.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Even mooooore convenient :colbert:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Going to my local doctors for this health check up that is required to live in cheena, wish me healthy!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Married goons???!!!!

AfroNinja
Oct 24, 2006
I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT EXPLOITING WOMEN BECAUSE I HAVE A SMALL DICK AND DESERVE TO TAKE A BULLET IN THE SKULL

MrNemo posted:

I'd heard EF isn't too bad if you're employed in an actual corporate branch (i.e. one owned and operated by the main company) since those are the ones they try to use to promote the brand. Get into a franchisee one though and all bets are off, I've heard pretty much nothing good about them anywhere.

Corporate or not, EF still is a horrible place to work. At a franchise, anything goes and you'll be exploited to poo poo.

Corporate is full of loving assholes who think they are English masters because they read an article about teaching theories. My former Director of Studies (who transferred to corporate) spent an entire hour "teaching" us about all of these theories he used to increase the English level of his class. He did 10 weeks of research and was showing us pie charts and all this other hot garbage. He kept mentioning, over and over and over again, about how he dramatically increased the English usage by using new teaching theories. This man was super serious and truly believed his nonsense. The class he used for "research" was a Small Star Blue. It's the class for 1 - 2 year old kids. There were 5 of them. Oh and he taught them ONCE A WEEK and it was the ONLY class he taught. His presentation was the most ridiculous thing I ever witnessed. As soon as he was done, he passed off the class to me because hes a oval office. These kids couldn't even say or understand their own English name.

If you love sticking your head up your own rear end then corporate is for you!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Maybe she's not real. :psyboom:

truavatar fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 12, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

truavatar posted:

Maybe she's not real. :psyboom:

Oh that would just play RIGHT into your hands, wouldn't it?

I bet you're loving this.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
I bought some taco sauce and don't know if there's anything basic I can put it on. I don't have access to wraps or even bread that isn't cake-like and sweet. What can you use delicious Old El Paso hot sauce on in China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

AfroNinja posted:

Corporate or not, EF still is a horrible place to work. At a franchise, anything goes and you'll be exploited to poo poo.

Corporate is full of loving assholes who think they are English masters because they read an article about teaching theories. My former Director of Studies (who transferred to corporate) spent an entire hour "teaching" us about all of these theories he used to increase the English level of his class. He did 10 weeks of research and was showing us pie charts and all this other hot garbage. He kept mentioning, over and over and over again, about how he dramatically increased the English usage by using new teaching theories. This man was super serious and truly believed his nonsense. The class he used for "research" was a Small Star Blue. It's the class for 1 - 2 year old kids. There were 5 of them. Oh and he taught them ONCE A WEEK and it was the ONLY class he taught. His presentation was the most ridiculous thing I ever witnessed. As soon as he was done, he passed off the class to me because hes a oval office. These kids couldn't even say or understand their own English name.

If you love sticking your head up your own rear end then corporate is for you!

Most people I meet from EF are defensive. I'll be like "I heard that isn't a very good place to work?" and they'll go into loving detective mode. "Who said that? Did they actually work here? It's a great place, why did they say that?"

All of which makes me think you have to convince yourself it's a good job in order to work there.