Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Nucular Carmul posted:

Ludicolo @Leftovers
Rain Dish
252 HP split the rest in defense and special defense
Protect
Leech Seed
Toxic
Rain Dance

Got my friends to build pokemon specifically to take it out or neutralize it. Make sure you have something with fire or psychic in your squad, because anything poison, steel, or grass type laughs at it, and Venusaur renders both of its status effects useless.

Replace Toxic with Substitute for situational immortality.

As for the Shiftry that was mentioned earlier, you can either have him as a mixed attacker (STAB Sucker Punch is huge) or a Sword Dance user. Just run away from U-Turn users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is there anything I can do to increase the likelihood of finding a super-size Pumpkaboo? Also, how does breeding affect Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist sizes?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bongo Bill posted:

Is there anything I can do to increase the likelihood of finding a super-size Pumpkaboo? Also, how does breeding affect Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist sizes?

Stay out of the Safari, and they are functionally different species. The size will always be inherited via the female in breeding.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Emalde posted:

Stay out of the Safari, and they are functionally different species. The size will always be inherited via the female in breeding.

Thanks. That explains why I wasn't having any luck.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Why does every shiny I get have to be so lovely :negative:

Yanma with compundeyes and impish nature. Lampent with relaxed nature. And a smeargle.
Actually the smeargle might be good. Moody ability and timid nature :v:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

QuasiQuack posted:

Why does every shiny I get have to be so lovely :negative:

Yanma with compundeyes and impish nature. Lampent with relaxed nature. And a smeargle.
Actually the smeargle might be good. Moody ability and timid nature :v:

That's nothing. Only shiny I ever caught in Gen 5 was an Adamant Litwick. An Adamant. Litwick. :smithicide:

Thankfully I've had better luck with shinies this gen.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, Moody should be able to make it pretty good. From what I hear about it anyway. If it almost gets Bidoof banned, it must have its uses.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
What do you think of this Poliwrath? I have a shiny relaxed one, and right now I'm running with a Rest + Chestoberry-combination, but I'm thinking of trying out an Assault Vest Build.

Poliwrath @ Assault Vest
Water Absorb, Relaxed
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Sp Def

Power Up-Punch
Earthquake
Waterfall
Circle Throw

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

McDragon posted:

Well, Moody should be able to make it pretty good. From what I hear about it anyway. If it almost gets Bidoof banned, it must have its uses.

Moody Smeargle can be good but I think it's banned because of the randomness more than anything.

Every turn a stat goes up 2 stages and a different stat goes down 1 stage (not 2) for free. If you're lucky you'll get something like Attack +2, Sp Attack -1 on the first turn after you Spore something. Or you can do something like Spore, (stat boost), Agility when they switch (another stat boost). You could have +4 attack, +2 speed, -2 Sp attack. Or you could have -1 attack -1 sp attack +6 speed. You're really rolling the dice.

Smeargle gets Baton Pass btw :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Moody Smeargle can be good but I think it's banned because of the randomness more than anything.

Oh, that would make sense I guess. I wonder if Evasion is one of the things that can be boosted. That'd do it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bongo Bill posted:

Super-sized Pumpkaboos also always have a miracle seed so you can have a fainted pokemon with compound eyes in your first slot to increase the chance of fighting one.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

McDragon posted:

Oh, that would make sense I guess. I wonder if Evasion is one of the things that can be boosted. That'd do it.

It is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Evasion banned in a meta game where paraflinch/paraconfuse is a thing.
Smogon, ladies and gentlemen.

e: wrong quote, but basically evasion getting banned for having an element of randomness is stupid when teams rely on it entirely.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 12, 2013

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Caught a shiny Octillery. Shiny's probably the wrong term, but "diseased" or "turdesque" aren't official.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Aurain posted:

Evasion banned in a meta game where paraflinch/paraconfuse is a thing.
Really?

Hint: Only certain Pokémon can paraflinch, and they usually have better things to do. Anything can become a nigh-unstoppable tank by spamming Double Team.

e: Moody is no different since you can just substall until you get the boosts you want.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Crosscontaminant posted:

Really?

Hint: Only certain Pokémon can paraflinch, and they usually have better things to do. Anthing can become a nigh-unstoppable tank by spamming Double Team.

It's inconsistent rulesetting, that's why it's dumb.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Super-sized Pumpkaboos also always have a miracle seed so you can have a fainted pokemon with compound eyes in your first slot to increase the chance of fighting one.

Caught one on my first try using this technique, after about half a box of Large ones. Much appreciated.

pitlo
Dec 30, 2004

You won't get anything
done by planning.

FedoraDefender420 posted:

Caught a shiny Octillery. Shiny's probably the wrong term, but "diseased" or "turdesque" aren't official.

Yeah I got one too. It really is something.

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007

Hell yeah! Was just hatching while watching TV, and looked down to this blue guy.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I found you again at last :argh:

I wasn't hunting for it, nor is it particularly interesting as a shiny, but it's notable because psyduck was the first shiny I ever encountered way back in, gently caress, Silver I think. Of course I promptly fled from it because I was still a dumb kid and in the Blue mindset of "glitch pokemon will ruin my gaaaame :byodood:" and then felt incredibly dumb when I saw the plot gyarados. I don't think I've even encountered another wild shiny, it's nuts.

I think I'll make it my water HM carrier. :3:

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
Amoonguss is such a great guy. His entire competitive moveset is available by level up, no TMs or breeding required. Synthesis, Clear Smog, Stun Spore, Giga Drain, Rage Powder and Spore.

And if you're breeding for IVs, you can choose to ignore Speed and/or Attack.

Is Tyrantrum a good counter to Gale Wings Talonflame? I have little practical experience battling with the T-rex, and I have the feeling I'll be running into a lot of flaming hawks.

Say PokeGoons, I have the urge to train a Poke named "Baro" or "BABOS". Any suggestions?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Crosscontaminant posted:

Really?

Hint: Only certain Pokémon can paraflinch, and they usually have better things to do. Anything can become a nigh-unstoppable tank by spamming Double Team.

e: Moody is no different since you can just substall until you get the boosts you want.

There are a shitload of attacks that can't miss, Unaware pokemon will ignore those evasion ups, Sweet Scent drops evasion by 2 stages now, and Roar/Whirlwind aren't accuracy based. It's pretty easy to get around evasion if you put any effort into it at all.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
I looked on serebii and noticed that Scyther cannot learn Bug Bite as a bred move but can learn it as a move tutor in B2W2, is that accurate? It would be nice to have Bug Bite with Technician.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oraculum Animi posted:

I looked on serebii and noticed that Scyther cannot learn Bug Bite as a bred move but can learn it as a move tutor in B2W2, is that accurate? It would be nice to have Bug Bite with Technician.

Yeah, Bug Bite was the bug move of choice on Scizor if you're not doing U-Turning. It's his strongest STAB move period, but also has the benefit of eating berries in the few cases where those are used.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

Yeah, Bug Bite was the bug move of choice on Scizor if you're not doing U-Turning. It's his strongest STAB move period, but also has the benefit of eating berries in the few cases where those are used.

Bug Bite is awesome in doubles/VGC due to item clause forcing diversity of items. Too bad it won't be available again until either someone figures out how to breed it on (unlikely) or PokeBank opens up.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
I don't get the nastiness people here exhibit towards people on Smogon. Any Pokemon community is gonna be mostly kids, so they're gonna be asshats by default, but the normal adults that like Pokemon as a sorta-random strategy game generally have well developed reasoning for what they do. The difference between paraflinch and evasion is that one is way more centralizing than the other. Evasion ignoring moves are generally way weaker, and it makes sort of a random rock-paper-scissors deal happen, where evasion ignoring moves can maybe beat evasion (not really if the Pokemon is defensive and your attack isn't super effective, they'll just wall you while you don't do any damage), but then your Pokemon running anti-evasion moves always lose to pure offense sets of the enemy. Stuff like sweet scent is maybe useful, but also blocked by substitute. Kinda leaves roar/whirlwind/haze as the only real viable option, and then you gotta run 2+ of them, lest the enemy just win whenever they score a KO on your phazer. There are work arounds against evasion boosting strats, but they're a pain in the rear end, and then you yourself are just way weaker against non-evasion teams.

Paraflinch, on the other hand, requires, what, a faster Pokemon that can deal tons of damage to the paraflincher? A ground type? Paralyzing the paraflincher? Priority? These are all things that are useful outside of just countering paraflinch. You're not leaving yourself weaker by picking up anti-paraflinch moves, and you're not picking them up JUST to counter paraflinch. Plus, viable paraflinchers are way less common.

If luck was just always a bad thing, you wouldn't see hydro pump, focus blast, fire blast, and stone edge as often as you do. But people understand that it's better to take a situation you ALWAYS lose with a lesser move and win it 70% of the time. You don't ban evasion because it's random chance, you ban it because it fosters a really unfun meta-game.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
does anyone have Normal friend safari with Dittos? I'd like to start collecting natures for breeding purposes but so far have no friends with the appropriate safari type

edit: fc in-case one of you saints has dittos to catch. 3797-7036-8664

treeboy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 12, 2013

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Why don't my Froakie and Frogadier like each other much? Make babies faster. :mad:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Why don't my Froakie and Frogadier like each other much? Make babies faster. :mad:
They're not the same species.

Yes, being from different evo stages of the same family doesn't count as being the same species.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Where is a good place to have a quick read up on how to build a decent end game team? My pro-method of choice to get through every game is pretty much just LETHE SMASH and then when I do trains/mansion/online battling I get turned into a fine paste. When I try and decide what pokemon I want and how to build them up I go cross eyed, there's so much to choose from.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Is it a viable strategy to combine Bug Bite with Harvest/Recycle in Doubles? I know all pokemon with harvest are grass, but at least tropius is also flying.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Looks like Farfetch'd of all pokemon got a bit of boost this Gen. Because of how the critical hit mechanics changed this generation if he is holding a stick and uses a move with a high crit% such as Slash or Night Slash he effectively has a 100% crit rate as long as the other pokemon doesnt have an ablility that prevents crits.

Its not much considering Farfetch'd's defenses but it may shake some stuff up in the lower tiers.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

They've got the same OT. This makes a difference!

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Oh man, I forgot how much I love rotations. Also I've been pretty pleased with testing out my Masquerain so far, she's pretty good at throwing down a Rain Dance and maybe getting an attack off which is all I really wanted of her :allears: Now I just have to finish the rest of my Bug team.

FWTW-WWWW-WWW2-QS6M

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

horriblePencilist posted:

Is it a viable strategy to combine Bug Bite with Harvest/Recycle in Doubles? I know all pokemon with harvest are grass, but at least tropius is also flying.
Berries lost to moves that consume or destroy berries prevent Harvest from working for the duration of the match. You can't eat your ally's berry and continue Harvesting more.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mystery Machine posted:

If luck was just always a bad thing, you wouldn't see hydro pump, focus blast, fire blast, and stone edge as often as you do. But people understand that it's better to take a situation you ALWAYS lose with a lesser move and win it 70% of the time. You don't ban evasion because it's random chance, you ban it because it fosters a really unfun meta-game.

To add to this, unaware is on like, pokemon that are miserable to use (have you actually tried using Quagsire let's be real here). Unaware Clefable might be neat in this gen, and Aegislash with Sacred Sword will do some work against an evasion spammer.

That said, Rain teams are the best against evasion spam because Rain teams are the best against everything -- Hurricane and Thunder never miss in the Rain (use a Rain team). Also Machamp because Machamp doesn't skip arms day (he skips guard day instead).

Also I'd take a Turdtillery over a Shiny Basculin which is what I have on my Diamond card.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 12, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Zoness posted:

To add to this, unaware is on like, pokemon that are miserable to use (have you actually tried using Quagsire let's be real here).
He was the best back in Gold/Silver before Swampert and Gastrodon were things. :smith: Still one of my favorite mons, if kind of useless since he crumples if brushed by a grass type.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Zoness posted:

To add to this, unaware is on like, pokemon that are miserable to use (Quagsire, Clefable). Unaware Clefable might be neat in this gen, and Aegislash with Sacred Sword will do some work against an evasion spammer.

That said, Rain teams are the best against evasion spam because Rain teams are the best against everything -- Hurricane and Thunder never miss in the Rain (use a Rain team).

Also I'd take a Turdtillery over a Shiny Basculin which is what I have on my Diamond card.

Unaware quagsire is still decent to use as long as you can avoid grass attacks. Just use toxic and breed recover onto it and it works great for stalling any boosting sweeper. I've had a lot of success killing power-up punching mega kanghaskhans and swords dance aegislashes with my quags online :allears:

edit: you can also breed curse onto it but I haven't really found it to be very useful in doubles. Right now my build is:

Quagsire@Rocky helmet
Relaxed
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
Toxic
Scald
Earthquake
Recover

As an added bonus it also works really well against trick room teams because it's so slow.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 12, 2013

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Can you put level 100 pokemon in the daycare for breeding purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mystery Machine posted:

I think the ban on OHKO moves is a bit excessive, considering they sit at only a 30% chance of hitting. They're only banned because of the random factor, no serious team would actually use them. Yes, it would be possible to win with OHKO moves, but in the long run, you wouldn't be able to be consistently win with that strategy.

I feel like this might be the case with evasion too. In order to take advantage of evasion, you have to spend a turn or two using Double Team. Not only are those turns your opponent can take advantage of, but it takes up a moveslot. What Pokemon are you going to give Double Team to that wouldn't rather have another move? Generally, offensive Pokemon can be more consistent with wider coverage moves or substitute, or a different stat booster like Swords Dance. I'm sure there are Pokemon who wouldn't mind giving up a moveslot for Double Team, but my question is whether that strategy would be effective in the long run and become something that centralizes the metagame. I don't care if the strategy is potentially inconvenient, or leads to a few cheap wins. The important factor in deciding these things should be whether or not it's just too powerful or centralizing. It shouldn't matter that people get salty about losing to it a few times.

OHKO moves and evasion have been banned for the past three generations based on knee-jerk reactions to these strategies being luck-based, without even being properly tested. I think they ought to at least test them and see if the metagame makes significant or centralized changes.

• Locked thread