Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, credit card companies hate to do charge backs. They'll be reversed or denied, almost certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

The more impressive part is the free shipping to the USA, UK, EU, Canada, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. At that price for a full board, and with free shipping, it's hard to turn down. I grabbed a single earlybird for the 10mm city roads plus the buildings add on in case I ever take up Dropzone Commander, but more importantly as a good board for Robotech Tactics.
I don't know how they can do free shipping and still finance the KS - 24 square feet of plastic is going to be drat heavy...

I'm torn on the one - on the one hand, you can't beat the price, they have actual detail that can be weathered and grim-darkened (Epic is my game,) and there isn't a whole lot out there for cityscapes at this scale. On the other hand though, it looks exactly like Hawk's City Scape card set for twice the price, and doesn't include any buildings in the base pledge. Plus, being 2'x2' rather than 1'x1' is kind of reducing the modularity of the tabletop. And again, it's going to be a pain in the rear end to lug around.

This is a tough one.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't know how they can do free shipping and still finance the KS - 24 square feet of plastic is going to be drat heavy...

Presumably they have a prearranged distribution setup in those areas - probably utilising Hawk, Soda Pop and Cipher's respective distribution chains.

Secret Weapon did something similar, albeit making the arrangements after their project started. It allowed a bunch of foreign destinations to receive theirs for the US shipping price, which was 'free' because the shipping component was baked into the pledge level.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Why do we keep seeing all these 2x2 boards? Is that a common size for other systems? Im used to 3x3 for Malifaux and 4x4 or larger for everything else (Infinity, 40k, etc)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

MisterShine posted:

Why do we keep seeing all these 2x2 boards? Is that a common size for other systems? Im used to 3x3 for Malifaux and 4x4 or larger for everything else (Infinity, 40k, etc)

No, it's so you can customize the board.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

I just see all these nice boards and think "Nice, X price for a board base is pretty good! Oh wait, make that x4 so I can actually use it"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MisterShine posted:

It's because GW popularized gaming on a 4'x6' table. The easiest way to cover that space is with 2'x2' boards. Anything under that and you have too many boards (24 versus 6) and anything over that is a pain to transport. Malifaux is out of the norm with their 3'x3' table size.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MisterShine posted:

I just see all these nice boards and think "Nice, X price for a board base is pretty good! Oh wait, make that x4 so I can actually use it"
You do know that you can take four 2'x2' boards and fill a 4'x4' table, right?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yes, and thus he needs to spend 4 times as much as the price for a single board?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

berzerkmonkey posted:

And only at four times the price!

I think the point was that good deals only look good until you see they're only 2x2s.

What's probably needed is more game rules that are interesting at this size of a board.

At the very least, they could make for decent photography backdrops.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

berzerkmonkey posted:

The big issue with a big visible break line at exactly 24" from each board edge on the table is that it makes it pretty easy to mentally measure stuff you're not allowed to measure.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well I think that kickstarter was letting you get a 6x4 table for like, a hundred bucks or so? Which is a pretty good deal.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Eh, I can measure it easily enough with a series of panels printed on the board, just have to do a bit of math knowing for example that there's 8 squares every 20cm on Battlesystems, or 1 square every inch in Terraclips.

But yeah, $113 for a table that looks like Battle Systems? AWESOME! Oh wait, I need the $424 level for a moderate sized Infinity table. Hell, even filling it in with my existing terrain, its 26gbp for 9 more tiles, so an extra 120 on top of the 113 to have a sparse table that I could use.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

/\/\/\What? The botttom-most pledge level is for SIX 2' by 2' boards. How loving big do you need your table to be?

theironjef posted:

The big issue with a big visible break line at exactly 24" from each board edge on the table is that it makes it pretty easy to mentally measure stuff you're not allowed to measure.

Oh jesus. Warhammer Fantasy [edit: I'm thinking of Epic: Armageddon maybe] was infinitely improved by allowing you to always measure before you declare an action, and every other game would be too. Having your ability to succeed on the tabletop be determined, even in part, by your ability to visibly estimate distances with high accuracy is poo poo.

Probably there's already a thread about your wargame in TG that endlessly argues about this... ugh.

:argh:I am mad about bad rules

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 12, 2013

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

/\/\/\What? The botttom-most pledge level is for SIX 2' by 2' boards. How loving big do you need your table to be?

Seems to be some slight confusion:

For everyone who missed it, the Games & Gears boards are $100 for 6 2x2 tiles to make a full 6x4 table, not $100 per tile

Battlesystems is a different project coming in at $113 for one 3D 2x2 tile designed for Infinity and Deadzone

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 12, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, I'm not getting his argument either.

MisterShine posted:

Eh, I can measure it easily enough with a series of panels printed on the board, just have to do a bit of math knowing for example that there's 8 squares every 20cm on Battlesystems, or 1 square every inch in Terraclips.

But yeah, $113 for a table that looks like Battle Systems? AWESOME! Oh wait, I need the $424 level for a moderate sized Infinity table. Hell, even filling it in with my existing terrain, its 26gbp for 9 more tiles, so an extra 120 on top of the 113 to have a sparse table that I could use.
Like Leperflesh stated, the KS is for SIX 2'x2' boards that make up a 4'x6' table, not ONE 2'x2' board. Charging $100 for one 2'x2' board would be Forge World pricing.

MisterShine
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the pricing I was talking about was for BattleSystems, not Games and Gears.

Battle systems comes with terrain for the board, but it is roughly 100 bucks for every 2x2 you want.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The issue I have with the Games and Gears boards is that they look incredibly boring. They are flat spaces, sure they have details on them, but my terrain issues are a lack of buildings not a lack of flat spaces, even if they do have a nice texture to them.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

The issue I have with the Games and Gears boards is that they look incredibly boring. They are flat spaces, sure they have details on them, but my terrain issues are a lack of buildings not a lack of flat spaces, even if they do have a nice texture to them.
That's my main concern as well - they look flat and sterile. But at the price point, you can't really expect something of GW/FW quality (though it would be nice.)

That being said, if I do decide to ride this out until the end, I'm going to be adding some serious rubble and airbrushing the hell out of the boards to give them some character.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The thing is, if you want flat and sterile you can buy linoleum floor tile for under $2/ square foot. And it'll be more visually interesting.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

The thing is, if you want flat and sterile you can buy linoleum floor tile for under $2/ square foot. And it'll be more visually interesting.

For that matter, I can buy a whole cowskin for about a hundred bucks, airbrush it with a bit of green and have a battlefield that looks grassy and cool and can even deform as models "drive" through it. Get it in a proper shade and you can skip the airbrush and say it's autumn, and I can cut it up for space and even roll it up afterwards if I want to. These 2x2 tiles are a complete non-starter for my excitement compared to basic stuff I can already do at the same or lower prices.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Rulebook Heavily posted:

For that matter, I can buy a whole cowskin for about a hundred bucks, airbrush it with a bit of green and have a battlefield that looks grassy and cool and can even deform as models "drive" through it. Get it in a proper shade and you can skip the airbrush and say it's autumn, and I can cut it up for space and even roll it up afterwards if I want to. These 2x2 tiles are a complete non-starter for my excitement compared to basic stuff I can already do at the same or lower prices.
Yeah, but you're talking about a flat field - I've got a GW grass tablecloth that I picked up for $30 that does a phenomenal job for that. I've also got a 6'x4' blue pleather mat that is great for naval combat, and it cost me $17. What neither of those have though is any sort of detail that replicates city blocks or a cobblestone street. Your $100 cowskin also doesn't offer modularity and doesn't look like anything other than a flat mat.

moths posted:

Can you hop over into the Terrain thread? I want to discuss this with you.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah, but you're talking about a flat field - I've got a GW grass tablecloth that I picked up for $30 that does a phenomenal job for that. I've also got a 6'x4' blue pleather mat that is great for naval combat, and it cost me $17. What neither of those have though is any sort of detail that replicates city blocks or a cobblestone street. Your $100 cowskin also doesn't offer modularity and doesn't look like anything other than a flat mat.

For those I use zuzzy mats.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
If you haven't found it yet, here's the link for the Demon: the Descent Kickstarter.

Since this is a new game, the option seems to be to run it the way the Mummy project went, but it seems that Onyx Path has announced their planned upgrades to the book ahead of time, and anything else has to be suggested/voted upon/whatever by backers who want to see additional features. It also seems to run in a similar price range to Mummy. The book + Storyteller screen seems to be fairly close to what it cost for the same in the Mummy KS.

As with other Onyx Path projects, this one funded quickly.

(I totally didn't put this in another thread mistakenly.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I have just one question: What the hell is "techgnostic"?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Siivola posted:

Religion where the gods or spirituality are or are derived from machines and technology, at a guess. Good example would be the Adeptus Mechanicus and their worship of the Omnissiah and machine spirits (limited forms of AI) in 40k lore.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Gasperkun posted:

If you haven't found it yet, here's the link for the Demon: the Descent Kickstarter.

I'm sure they'll make a pile of money, but "like Demon the Fallen but without Greg Stolze" isn't my kind of pitch.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Siivola posted:

Gnosis, as in mystical insight; tech, as in relating to technology. It describes the special insight characters have into the god-machinery that secretly runs the world through hidden patterns of machinery and technology, while also evoking the malicious all-controlling demiurge of Gnosticism (also seen in Kult).

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

InShaneee posted:

After some delays, the Two Rooms and a Boom kickstarter is up. It's a Mafia-esque deduction game (with no player elimination) that involves splitting the players between two rooms, involved a ton of alternate roles, and supposedly scales up to 30 players. I haven't tried it, but they do have a free print-and-play version for anyone who's curious about the rules.

Just wanted to give this another shoutout as I'm doing the music for the timed rounds! :D This game is super fun. They also put in a "Dropsy pack" expansion as one of the earlier stretch goals. I didn't even ask for the promo, Alan is just a nice guy. :allears:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Gaspy Conana posted:

Just wanted to give this another shoutout as I'm doing the music for the timed rounds! :D This game is super fun. They also put in a "Dropsy pack" expansion as one of the earlier stretch goals. I didn't even ask for the promo, Alan is just a nice guy. :allears:

I wondered about the "Dropsy pack" expansion. I'm in already. But I do wonder what else they will be offering as stretch goals since they seem to have run out of cards to put up as goals.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

Just wanted to give this another shoutout as I'm doing the music for the timed rounds! This game is super fun. They also put in a "Dropsy pack" expansion as one of the earlier stretch goals. I didn't even ask for the promo, Alan is just a nice guy.

I'm in on it, without knowing too much about how it plays. I understand it works for very big numbers - how well does it work with "low" numbers like 8 or 9? Do you need a big crowd for it to shine?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm not sure, I only played the printed edition with a relatively small group myself. I'll talk to Alan and let you know. :)

Indolent Bastard posted:

I wondered about the "Dropsy pack" expansion. I'm in already. But I do wonder what else they will be offering as stretch goals since they seem to have run out of cards to put up as goals.

No clue. I'll ask him this too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cthulhu Wars update: they've got back all of the sculpts now.

Heart Attacks
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it works for magical girls.
the voiceovers for the Demon: the Descent video sound so disinterested.

Beautiful Flower
Apr 9, 2007

Peter Gabriel's solo stuff is pretty ok imho
Can anyone give me a quick breakdown on the overall costs of custom minis? What should I expect to pay a designer? What should I expect to pay to get them printed? I've got a project way down the line that might come with minis and I'd like to get a ballpark on production costs before I really dig into writing.

I know this isn't the best thread for this but I think there's a few people in here who've done minis before.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Does anyone have experience with the guys doing Shadows and Brimstone? It seems like a pretty good setup even for a game. A little twist here and there for Deadlands too.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Does anyone have experience with the guys doing Shadows and Brimstone? It seems like a pretty good setup even for a game. A little twist here and there for Deadlands too.

They did Last Night on Earth, A Touch of Evil, Fortune and Glory, etc. Some people really love their games, but I would at the very least recommend trying one of their other games (probably a Touch of Evil, it seems closest to what they're doing with Shadows of Brimstone) to see if you're one of them. I am not.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Still waiting to see some rules or game play videos. But so far it looks like its going to be a highly random dice fest.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Ugh I'm so tempted to go for 180 on the Journey Kickstarter. Anyone else throw down on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

John McClane posted:

Ugh I'm so tempted to go for 180 on the Journey Kickstarter. Anyone else throw down on it?

I'd be very wary of those "Hey a bunch of sweet minis!!! and a game" Kickstarters since I think most of those resulting games have been mediocre at best. YMMV obviously, and I am saying this as someone who threw in a ton of money at Cthulhu Wars.

I mean if you're okay with having all those minis for that price, I suppose you'll get your money's worth somehow, otherwise I'd wait for retail.

• Locked thread