Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Patience. Think of this as seeding the field. You want the unwashed masses to have 1000 points instead of 800 so that when you retaliate en masse you're gaining points instead of losing them. Three and a half days to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
drat, I'm about 50 points of 800, which I want for that last yellow Thor to max mine out. Only problem is I'm out of health packs and my Thor is low, so I don't want to be idle with weaker characters up. Oh well, I'm sure I can make up the difference+losses later today.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Thanks! I actually did get to 50 and got that token, maybe I'll attempt the 150 one as well and call it a day.

If there are any other general newbie tips, I'd appreciate them. I read the OP, but it seemed to be more "this is what the game is" and less "this is what you should do when starting out".

Besides level Iron Man, of course. I've been doing that.

Get as many Classic Storm/Thor covers as you can from this tourney, and then grab the rest of her covers from the PvE chapters. Don't spend hero points on anything other than collection slots (spending it on covers is pretty much a complete waste) and for now don't sell any covers unless you absolutely have to because it seems like nearly every dog gets its day with a boost tourney at some point. If you absolutely have to sell covers for ISO, Hawkeye Classic and Juggernaut are pretty surefire sell-bait.

Also get friended up with the goon list in the OP so that you can pick up sweet, sweet ISO rewards from the rest of us playing.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
gently caress yes 1100 points, 200 points ahead of the #2 guy.

I'm in for a world of hurt, aren't I :ohdear:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Thanks! I actually did get to 50 and got that token, maybe I'll attempt the 150 one as well and call it a day.

If there are any other general newbie tips, I'd appreciate them. I read the OP, but it seemed to be more "this is what the game is" and less "this is what you should do when starting out".

Besides level Iron Man, of course. I've been doing that.

One of the best newbie team is
Iron with 5 red and yellow covers and 3 blue
Modern storm with 5 green and red with 3 black
Black widow with 5 of both her covers.

Storm has a lot of board control. She can destroy 16 tiles with 10 green ap. and you gain ap for each tile she breaks and any matches that happen afterwards. You can easily gain 20 ap for 10 green ap which is as great as it sounds. Enemies can't make their attack tiles over storm's black ability. So if you fill the board with her black ability you won against normal baddies. Her red moves deals decent damage and gains you more ap. it quite possible for storm to generate enough ap so you can chain her moves a few times.

Iron man is iron man. He the brawler and tank and he does that role well until you replace him with Thor or wolverine.

Black widow is amazing. You likely never use her purple, but her blue move is just that good. A 5 turn stun and stuns the other enemies for 1 turn. And it is decently cheap. With storm generating ap you can probably use this move a few times. Makes boss fight really easy and does pretty well with PVP. She is likely to be the hero you will replace last.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 12, 2013

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Shwqa posted:

One of the best newbie team is
Iron with 5 red and yellow covers and 3 blue
Modern storm with 5 green and red with 3 black
Black widow with 5 of both her covers.

Storm has a lot of board control. She can destroy 16 tiles with 10 green ap. and you gain ap for each tile she breaks and any matches that happen afterwards. You can easily gain 20 ap for 10 green ap which is as great as it sounds. Enemies can't make their attack tiles over storm's black ability. So if you fill the board with her black ability you won against normal baddies. Her red moves deals decent damage and gains you more ap. it quite possible for storm to generate enough ap so you can chain her moves a few times.

Iron man is iron man. He the brawler and tank and he does that role well until you replace him with Thor or wolverine.

Black widow is amazing. You likely never use her purple, but her blue move is just that good. A 5 turn stun and stuns the other enemies for 1 turn. And it is decently cheap. With storm generating ap you can probably use this move a few times. Makes boss fight really easy and does pretty well with PVP. She is likely to be the hero you will replace last.

Eh I like 5 black for storm but 5 red is a lot easier to obtain in my experience. I think max level the attack tiles do 7 damage per hit (Mine is 32 but enemy ones have done 7 damage to me) and with 32 of them that's 224 extra damage per round. As opposed to the 112 damage from 16 tiles. The big draw for me for swapping 32 tiles to attack tiles is blocking countdown tiles, strike tiles and protect tiles from being able to appear if you have all of that color covered and with environment tiles on the board you have more than 50% of the board covered, feels closer to 80%.

e: I would be interested if anyone could tell me what kinda damage max level 5 red/3 red does per tile if anyone has one there.

WetSpink fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 12, 2013

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Slowly, slowly progress is made. Got to about 1075 this time before two guys in the 600s decided I was a nice target and yanked me backwards.

I'm really not impressed by this tournament but there's nothing better to do in the game right now.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Isn't there some thing about having crabs in a bucket, and if any of the crabs start climbing out the other crabs drag them back in? That's what the tournaments always make me think of.

fake edit: found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

actual edit: are there any crab superheroes in Marvel? Let's have one of those next. :v:

mania
Sep 9, 2004

WetSpink posted:

e: I would be interested if anyone could tell me what kinda damage max level 5 red/3 red does per tile if anyone has one there.

A max level 5 red storm has 34 damage per environment tile.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

McDragon posted:

Isn't there some thing about having crabs in a bucket, and if any of the crabs start climbing out the other crabs drag them back in? That's what the tournaments always make me think of.

fake edit: found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crab_mentality

actual edit: are there any crab superheroes in Marvel? Let's have one of those next. :v:

Not so much heroes. There are a couple of really obscure villains and one semi-obscure one.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So when I get a recruit token, is it only ever good for a Standard cover? Or should I save it for another time?

Not sure if this game has the equivalent of a "godfest" in Puzzle & Dragons.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

triplexpac posted:

So when I get a recruit token, is it only ever good for a Standard cover? Or should I save it for another time?

Standards are for standards, Heroics are for Heroics, and there are occasionally special tokens (like this week's Thunder/Lightning) for lotto draws that favor certain heroes.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Nope use them when you got em. There are special token that are like god fest but your standard token won't turn into one.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

triplexpac posted:

You do occasionally get two stars for standards so it's not all bad when you're maxed on one stars

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

triplexpac posted:

Not that I've seen. PAD has some units that are just head-and-shoulders better than everyone else; this game doesn't, or at least not at first. You can draw an amazing rare but unless you either draw him in multiples for skillups or spend a fortune, he likely won't be as useful to you as an uncommon.

There are occasional specials where certain units are more likely, but nothing to make anyone want to drop bucks PAD-style.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Only reason I would want to drop money on the game is so I could have more cover slots. I have two max skilled modern storms one 5/4/4 one 5/5/3 and 5 3* heroes with 1 or more covers in them, my 4* Woalverine with 0/2/0 and 9 2* heroes with one more more covers in them I love draken and need 2 more gray covers to max him and when they add a 3rd ability be sad because I can only get it to 3. How are you guys building Marvel now Thor I am 1/3/3 and don't want to screw him up since he owns bones.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ugh sometimes the computer get such bullshit cascades. 4 of a kind horizontal of a off color, leads to a 5 of a kind red, to a 4 of kind red, to critical 4 kind of blue (they had black widows). Daken died like a champ and my level 85 Thor went from full health to 200. Still won though.

Edit: best Thor is 5/5/3. His green ability is very meh compare to other green abilities.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Getting Thor's red up to 5 will let you throw out his red attack for 6ap. The rest is up to you, since levelling only reduces ap cost, the damage comes purely from his level.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I got to 500 3 times since last night. I am busy at work and can't sit there and play all day.
But I am also spending more time going back and doing missions to get covers to upgrade.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

WetSpink posted:

You do occasionally get two stars for standards so it's not all bad when you're maxed on one stars

You can get at least a couple three-stars off the standard 500 iso draws too - I got Dr. Doom (twice!) and Gray Suit Widow yesterday.

EDIT: Yeah, I should probably put that in context a little, for every three-star i've gotten, i've probably gotten 15-20 @$%@#ing Classic Hawkeyes.

Deathwing fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 12, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah, three stars are really rare out of the 500 iso draw.

I'd say 75% of my draws were 1-stars, 20% are 2, and 5% are the three star heroes.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, three stars are really rare out of the 500 iso draw.

I'd say 75% of my draws were 1-stars, 20% are 2, and 5% are the three star heroes.

Yeah but as we start maxing out heroes what else is to spend money one?

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Yeah but as we start maxing out heroes what else is to spend money one?

It cost me 18k iso to raise my daken from 10 to 45, so 'maxing out heroes' isn't a trivial proposition.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

chrisf posted:

It cost me 18k iso to raise my daken from 10 to 45, so 'maxing out heroes' isn't a trivial proposition.

Yeah but you did it, over time you will have a few max heroes. Especially when you start getting the 1k iso tournament rewards and the heroic missions start coming out. I'm not the only one with a level 85 Thor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I know, I occasionally go on 500 iso draw binges myself when I've not been paying attention to my iso income. I'm not advising against it, just be ready for a lot of hawkeyes, storms, venoms and juggernauts.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
I dropped 7000 ISO on Lightning and got all 1 star storms. Somehow I had 7000 back later that day from tourney progression and fb gifts though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shwqa posted:

Edit: best Thor is 5/5/3. His green ability is very meh compare to other green abilities.

I don't know. 5/4/4 Thor seems just about as good, since you hit 12 AP on Thunder Strike.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Has anyone done the math on how much ISO is lost from selling a levelled up character?

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Shwqa posted:

Yeah but you did it, over time you will have a few max heroes. Especially when you start getting the 1k iso tournament rewards and the heroic missions start coming out. I'm not the only one with a level 85 Thor.

I started out with a level 53 Thor with no covers to proceed. Now I have all the covers I needed and am at level 83. Once he's maxed, it's onto Classic Storm, whom I also got two covers for. I just got the 1k ISO prize by breaking 1000 for the first time. Tournaments definitely are where the real progress comes from and this one is probably helping out the majority of players in the end.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I have bought the Lightning pack 10 times and got nothing but Modern Storm. Who I've maxed, unlike Thor and Storm Classic. Uugh.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

SynthOrange posted:

Has anyone done the math on how much ISO is lost from selling a levelled up character?

I think I could figure out an approximate value later today.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Not that Black Widow was doing much damage, but I was quite pleased with managing to win this one despite Thor firing all 3 abilities in succession. Heals for 172 health per turn and does 253 damage for 3 AP with Feral Claws at level 77, 5/3/4 for the moment.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay I'm just going to skip every Spider-Man fight from now on. He's crazy!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
What kind of Spider-Men are you facing? Other than The Ladder's L140 monstrocity, I haven't found one yet that a boosted Mjolnir's Might won't flatten.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A blue spider man with the 2ap stun is murderous. If there's a storm in there I HAVE to take her down before dealing with him. A lucky AI match can mean doom for me.

I got to 1097 points, then YOU WERE ATTACKED -40 points.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Screw it, burned some coins for heal packs, shot up to 1100+ and the prize. Hopefully I wont be murdered too hard when I'm up to my next run and stab at the 500 coin prize.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

A blue spider man with the 2ap stun is murderous. If there's a storm in there I HAVE to take her down before dealing with him. A lucky AI match can mean doom for me.

I got to 1097 points, then YOU WERE ATTACKED -40 points.

Yeah I think I saw the same guy maybe, level 59 or 69 spidey with only blue covers, storm with enough health to be a pain for my level 58 Thor and a Thor with about 4-5k hp D:

Managed to beat him with no stuns due to sheer luck, yay for 2 red crits being beastly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Good thing I'm not aiming for #1 in this comp. Either Loki prize would beef up my existing Loki nicely, a black Daken would be great, but his purple is already maxed.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Good thing I'm not aiming for #1 in this comp. Either Loki prize would beef up my existing Loki nicely, a black Daken would be great, but his purple is already maxed.

I got Loki from the heroic token, so now I'm interested in the Loki prize. Im in a slow bracket, which is mix blessing. At 700 points I'm not a big target, but I'm not getting the sweet high point rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I got defeated while I was getting surprise-striked by a low level Wolverine/Daken combo that I thought I could take even while my Thor was fairly injured. Lost 36 points - and moved up 12 places on my bracket's ladder :smug: