Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

They better stick to this. There should always be a Lexington, Saratoga, and Yorktown in commission along with a Big E. A Midway wouldn't hurt either.

:words:
I've always been a fan of legacy names. I'm glad they still have a Kearsarge in service. They had a good idea with the original ship too: geography would make a nice complement to cities and states. Name ships after mountains and waterways (though most major rivers are already named after states or vice versa, and lakes tend to be a bit uninspiring.) McKinley/Denali, Foraker, Blackburn, Fairweather, Grizzly, Hunter, Rainier, Diablo, Shasta, Pike, Bear, Mauna Kea, Haleakalā, Elias, Wheeler, Grand Teton; all good, solid names. Doesn't have the baggage of people or politicians.

EDIT: Though I suppose you'd have to be careful about people trying to backdoor poo poo like "Mt. Nathan Bedford Forrest"

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Throatwarbler posted:

How could anybody seriously believe there was a "gap" of any kind of ship with the USSR? Didn't the USSR only start really building a navy in the late Brezhnev era?

You cannot reduce DoD funding! You will regret this!

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Could someone briefly explain what the gently caress the point of the Zumwalt is? It seems like it doesn't really fill any gaping hole in the surface fleet right now other than a big expensive technology demonstrator. Sure, the potential for electromagnetic weapon systems is cool as hell, but did we really need to build a new class of vessels before we even know the final power requirements of said weapons? And how effective are stealth materials on a ship going to be when, unless I'm mistaken, 99% of it's cruises are going to be hanging out with the big and decidedly unstealthy CVNs

It just seems like a giant case of counting your chickens before they hatch. But not quite LCS levels of bad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Munnin The Crab posted:

Could someone briefly explain what the gently caress the point of the Zumwalt is?

Keeping shipyards in business, the technology-testbed stuff is just a side effect. It started out as a pretty ambitious program with 32 ships built around new gun and an all-electric drive and a permanent-magnet electric drive system and a fancy new search radar but it just kept getting cut and cut and cut. So now you have just two being built at Ingalls and a third at Bath and that's pretty much just to keep shipbuilding capacity going, not for any real objective need for what the yards are putting out. We'd be better off with the same amount of money being spent on more Burkes.

quote:

And how effective are stealth materials on a ship going to be when, unless I'm mistaken, 99% of it's cruises are going to be hanging out with the big and decidedly unstealthy CVNs

That's actually pretty handy, at least theoretically. Keep it out there as a picket, when the bombers or missile boats come looking for your carrier they don't see you, then you shoot them.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Cyrano4747 posted:

As a regional force that could gently caress poo poo up in the Baltic or pose a local threat on their Pacific coast? gently caress, they had that poo poo under the Tsars. The Tsarist Baltic fleet was never something to completely ignore and they had a pretty credible Pacific squadron out around Vladivostok. They weren't going to challenge the Royal Navy or anything, but on paper they were certainly a match for the US, Japanese, and German navies of the late 19th/early 20th C.

The Russian Baltic fleet has pretty much been the Swedish arch-nemesis since they plundered the Swedish east coast in 1719. That right there basically marks the end of the time of Sweden as big player in Europe. Later on the same fleet (and its Polish and East German partners in crime) would be the reason the strike part of the Swedish air force was so focused on ASM's and anti-ship operations in general and so indifferent to CAS operations. If you discount German radio-controlled glide bombs in WW2, the two first air-launched ASM's west of the iron curtain were Swedish (rb 04, 1962) and Norwegian (Penguin, 1971) respectively, just because of the Soviet amphibious bogeyman.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 12, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Cross post from AI...

Back in the '80s the T-Birds conducted an exercise to validate the requirement that their aircraft be combat ready in under 72 hrs. They met the requirement:

Story here. Make sure to check out page two, where the OP posts a bunch more pictures. The jet proceeded to fly a sortie on the Nellis range where it expended a full load of 20mm and all 6 Mk 82 snakeyes.

\/ You say it like it's a bad thing \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 12, 2013

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

Grand Teton; all good, solid names.

You do realize Grad Teton is french for Giant Tit, right?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Agean90 posted:

What's more American than big ol' titties?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Agean90 posted:

In light of this, I demand that any US vessel named thusly be named after the range, and not just one mountain, IE: USS Grand Tetons.

Take that, France. :911:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
USS Big ol' Titties has a nice ring to it.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mike-o posted:

USS Big ol' Titties has a nice ring to it.

This has to be done because I desperately want to hear a typical narrator voice using it repeatedly in a History Channel show.

"Big ol' Titties is like a floating city."

"Using lessons learned from the USS Cole, Big ol' Titties is less vulnerable to terrorist attack."

"With its array of high tech defenses, the sailors in the CIC say there's no safer place to be than deep in the center of Big 'ol Titties."

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I want to see what the patch for that ship would look like

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

This has to be done because I desperately want to hear a typical narrator voice using it repeatedly in a History Channel show.

"Big ol' Titties is like a floating city."

"Using lessons learned from the USS Cole, Big ol' Titties is less vulnerable to terrorist attack."

"With its array of high tech defenses, the sailors in the CIC say there's no safer place to be than deep in the center of Big 'ol Titties."

"Due to the positive buoyancy of all of her major structural components, her engineers claim that Big 'ol Tittles could remain afloat after even the most catastrophic damage, up to and including having her keel split."

"With technology-aided efficiencies and state of the art point defenses, Big 'Ol Titties has enough extra space to transport and supply just shy of a brigade of Marines, itty bitty titty brigade :v:, further enhancing her already impressive mission profile"

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

"In this picture we can see Big Ol Titties putting to sea for her maiden voyage. Proud white seamen all over her."

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007
"In this next photo, Michelle Obama has just doused the Big Ol Titties in champagne, Barack is standing just behind her, with a broad smile on his face."

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Munnin The Crab posted:

Could someone briefly explain what the gently caress the point of the Zumwalt is? It seems like it doesn't really fill any gaping hole in the surface fleet right now other than a big expensive technology demonstrator. Sure, the potential for electromagnetic weapon systems is cool as hell, but did we really need to build a new class of vessels before we even know the final power requirements of said weapons? And how effective are stealth materials on a ship going to be when, unless I'm mistaken, 99% of it's cruises are going to be hanging out with the big and decidedly unstealthy CVNs

It just seems like a giant case of counting your chickens before they hatch. But not quite LCS levels of bad.
It was originally suppose to be the next-generation successor to the Arleigh-Burke class destroyer, but the failure of key enabling technologies lead to drastic increases in crew size, which lead to the need to increase the size of the ship to accommodate all the extra crew, which lead to it needing even more additional crew, and it ended up becoming a giant bloated waste of money that even *I* think was a mistake to fund.

So, yeah, at this point it's pretty much just a technology demonstrator. If the concepts work out, we might use them in the actual new class of next-gen destroyers.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

grover posted:

it ended up becoming a giant bloated waste of money that even *I* think was a mistake to fund.

I believe the only correct response to this is: :catstare:

edit: Are there any concepts/bids out there for a next-gen destroyer if the Zumwalt doesn't get a full production run? Hell we're already looking at '6th gen figthers'

Diabeesting fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 12, 2013

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Well, we're looking at 6th gen fighters because the R&D and procurement timetable means they'll probably start flight testing in about 25 years. Given the drastically cut F-22 buy, the AF doesn't have a loving choice. The F-15s that'll still be first-wave fighters will be as old as the B-52 fleet now.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Munnin The Crab posted:

I believe the only correct response to this is: :catstare:

edit: Are there any concepts/bids out there for a next-gen destroyer if the Zumwalt doesn't get a full production run? Hell we're already looking at '6th gen figthers'

As silly as it sounds, the core design of the F-22 is nearly 30 years old at this point. YF-22 and YF-23 faced off in the mid-80s. F-22 is supposed to be the "best" fighter until the 2030s, so at a similar development/deployment rate we are already 5-10 years behind schedule :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Really I think the next carriers should be the Yorktown, Lexington, Saratoga, Marc Mitscher, Frank J. Fletcher, and William F. Halsey. Also we need a new USS United States since Harry Truman can't gently caress it up a third time.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 12, 2013

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Really I think the next carriers should be the Yorktown, Lexington, Saratoga, Marc Mitscher, Frank J. Fletcher, and William F. Halsey. Also we need a new USS United States since Harry Truman can't gently caress it up a third time.

I wonder if the SecNav who changed the latest USS United States to the Harry S. Truman felt a tremendous wave of irony as he did so.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

When, exactly, did we transition over to politicians etc. as ship names for major builds? The pattern during WW2 as I always understood it was:

Destroyers = Famous/brave individual Navy officers
Cruisers = Cities
Battleships = States
Submarines = Fish
CVs = Battles, for the most part, with a smattering of famous names (Enterprise being the huge example - the Yorktown class CV was the sixth of her name in US service) and way old school historical figures (Ben Franklin)
transports etc = what the gently caress ever. Politicians, landmarks, cool sounding things, maybe one of the above naming schemes if they started life as a light cruiser and were converted to being a mine sweeper or whatever the gently caress.

I can add one class of ship to this list thanks to my Grandpa, who was in the Navy during WWII and Korea. Ammunition ships were named after volcanoes during WWII to the best of his knowledge.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Cyrano4747 posted:

After WW2 you're in a whole new world as far as naval power goes, and the USSR went in a largely different direction than massive blue water surface navies as far as their ability to project force over distance. Still, their Baltic fleet was nothing to gently caress with even by the end of WW2. Their submarine arm in particular was making poo poo pretty uncomfortable for the German transports that were running around the Baltic. Their Black Sea fleet was also a pretty credible regional force that you couldn't simply ignore if you were going to do operations in the eastern med.

In the imaginable '50s-'60s WWIII scenario, the major naval conflict would be over moving flotillas of reinforcements eastward across the Atlantic. The Soviets focused mostly on submarines, as submarines excel in denial of sea lane access. The US largely focused on carriers, because carriers excel at opening up sea lane access. This largely paralleled the Axis / Allied stance on the same issue in the previous war. SOSUS gets up and running and a few other developments occur (and as WWIII scenarios increasingly leaned towards 'none of this matters, the missiles will fly immediately') this became less focused but still essentially true. This also went with the Soviet strategy of having way, way, way more anti-ship missile launching platforms, from rinkydink patrol boats to full-on battlecruisers; less interest in holding sea space, more interest in denying it, not like they needed to move anything big through it anyway.

The Soviet Med fleet was nothing to sneeze at and again was focussed on denying sea lanes for moving NATO troops around with any kind of ease.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Munnin The Crab posted:

Hell we're already looking at '6th gen figthers'

Actually we're already looking at 8th gen fighters. 6th Gen is projected as the final "one man one ship" design, net centric, better man-machine interface, etc; 7th Gen is projected as either the first true UCAVs and/or a mothership/babyship type concept, 8th Gen is where UCAVs are fully developed and fully replace manned aircraft.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

bewbies posted:

Actually we're already looking at 8th gen fighters. 6th Gen is projected as the final "one man one ship" design, net centric, better man-machine interface, etc; 7th Gen is projected as either the first true UCAVs and/or a mothership/babyship type concept, 8th Gen is where UCAVs are fully developed and fully replace manned aircraft.

See I'm having a hard time with UCAVS and unmanned Aircraft. The first strike in a nextgen war will obviously be to gain the high ground, space. With the elimination of satellites how are we going to control our unmanned vehicles or are they planning them being completely autonomous skynet AI?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

See I'm having a hard time with UCAVS and unmanned Aircraft. The first strike in a nextgen war will obviously be to gain the high ground, space. With the elimination of satellites how are we going to control our unmanned vehicles or are they planning them being completely autonomous skynet AI?

Well, I'm not sure you can make the assumptions 1) that satellites will be a primary target, and 2) that satellites will be easily or assuredly eliminated (really, the far more effective counter is atmospheric RF jamming of satellite signals). That being said I'm not aware of any plans to make UCAVs satellite-only, atmospheric RF may wind up being the first choice anyway due to latency and bandwidth requirements.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

With Cruisers everything got screwed up in the '70s with the "cruiser gap" redesignation. The tl;dr version is that the USN was stupid and from the '60s into the '70s were designating vessels that were by any stretch of the imagination cruisers as "destroyer leaders" or "frigates." This led to a non-existent "cruiser gap" with the Soviets that was closed in 1975 with a redesignation...the "destroyer leaders" that were all named after famous Naval officers (because they were "destroyers") now all became "cruisers." There were also some nuke powered "destroyer leaders"/"cruisers" that were given state names during this time period because as nuclear powered vessels they were supposed to super powerful (hence the use of a state name). This clusterfuck is still affecting us today because the Ticonderoga class cruisers (named after famous battles ) were originally supposed to be destroyers (don't ask me why they changed the naming convention from famous naval personnel)...this class was redesignated as cruisers because of the same thought process.

The Ticonderoga was the result of the earlier CSGN mess. This was going to be 17000+ tons, have 120+ missiles, and be ruinously expensive. When this idea inevitably went up in smoke, the next revision involved redoing the nuclear Virginia class cruisers with the nascent Aegis system. Still ended up insanely expensive. The backup plan to the backup plan involved slapping a huge awkward superstructure onto a conventionally powered Spruance destroyer hull in order to fit the Aegis arrays, with half the displacement, and calling it a cruiser basically to hide the massive (but necessary) downsizing of the program.

The general rule, kinda sorta, was that frigates were for hunting subs (and independent steaming), destroyers were for anti-air picket (especially once the surface torpedo destroyer role vanished,) and cruisers were for hard hitting enemy surface ships and shore targets. The Tico were arguably designed and best equipped for the anti-air role. Really though the 'cruiser' name over a destroyer was as much about displacement / armor plate as it was about cannon caliber, and once those became irrelevant for surface attack the distinctions faded into mist.

Munnin The Crab posted:

The Zumwalt goes back to that idea of cruisers being for naval artillery support of marine landings, which we do have a gaping hole for, if you believe this will ever happen ever. That's a mix of the weirdness in Congress that reactivated the Iowa class more than once, and the '00s thinking that anything that wasn't tied to groundpounders sticking it to insurgents didn't deserve a dime of defense money.

Again, for this (rather questionable) role you need strong defenses and a long-reaching and powerful cannon. The railgun gives the punch and the idea was that stealth would substitute for armor plate. Its air defense capabilities are kind of poor, as it doesn't have Aegis or SM-2/SM-3/SM-6, so it's really not meant to escort carriers; rather, it's supposed to back up San Antonio LPDs, which also are supposed to be stealthy for their class.

It's that lack of even current-gen anti-air that kills the class and makes calling it a destroyer extra silly. It's kind of like the F-22 coming online without being able to fire the AIM-9X, but that was far more easily resolveable.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They have the VL tubes, so the decision to not include the appropriate SM support in the software suite is just straight retardation.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Ehhh it can still carry up to 320 ESSMs, which are more missiles than most navies can carry in total. Range would be a bit of an issue though, and I can't imagine the FCS could keep up with that many.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grover posted:

...and it ended up becoming a giant bloated waste of money that even *I* think was a mistake to fund.

:stare:

You need to write a list of US defense projects that end with that sentence.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

bewbies posted:

Well, I'm not sure you can make the assumptions 1) that satellites will be a primary target, and 2) that satellites will be easily or assuredly eliminated (really, the far more effective counter is atmospheric RF jamming of satellite signals). That being said I'm not aware of any plans to make UCAVs satellite-only, atmospheric RF may wind up being the first choice anyway due to latency and bandwidth requirements.

Isn't RF even easier to block. I'm thinking about an opponent as advanced as the US in this hypothetical. We have home built cell phone blockers now.

Anyway. I don't want to turn this into a whatif. It just had me thinking the last few days or maybe I just would feel lost without Maverick in the cockpit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Koesj posted:

Range would be a bit of an issue though, and I can't imagine the FCS could keep up with that many.
100nm less than SM-6, no biggie.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Nebakenezzer posted:

:stare:

You need to write a list of US defense projects that end with that sentence.

He just did :confused:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SyHopeful posted:

He just did :confused:
Also NMD. At least, Bush's vision of it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

jaegerx posted:

The thing about anti satellite missiles is absolutely nobody wants to start using them because the ensuing debris field would gently caress up launches and orbits for years to come. There's a lot of military communications and spy satellites up there to be taken out.

Moon LLC
Mar 27, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

The thing about anti satellite missiles is absolutely nobody wants to start using them because the ensuing debris field would gently caress up launches and orbits for years to come. There's a lot of military communications and spy satellites up there to be taken out.

Yeh. I don't pretend to know how feasible that actually is but it is a pretty scary thought.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I think in a shooting war of that scale the concerns of space debris interfering with future launches would not be significant.

Satellite monitoring is a key component of determining enemy nuclear posture and detecting launches. Taking out certain satellites could be seen as an indicator of an imminent first strike and might encourage a pre-emptive response.

At this point all of the countries with viable ASAT programs are also in the MAD club, and would be very careful to avoid anything that might slippery-slope inadvertently into hot nuke war. If and when countries outside that club get functioning sat-zorching capabilities that status quo would likely change.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Agean90 posted:

I want to see what the patch for that ship would look like

Different type of vehicle but related subject:

Munnin The Crab posted:

edit: Are there any concepts/bids out there for a next-gen destroyer if the Zumwalt doesn't get a full production run?

Flight IV Arleigh Burkes.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Don't forget the Clifton Sprague.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

ahahahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
The GiP pics thread pointed out that they already name ammunition ships after mountains. Specifically, volcanoes.

Ron Jeremy posted:

[that] is some black rear end poo poo (humor).