Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

here's the craigslist graph (same site)

non-craigslist job listings seem to be less common, like you were saying

but 'c won't get you a job' is a p silly thing to say

I'm the brainfuck job offer, wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

erlang :smith:

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can "intuit" whatever you want, but i don't think the data can support the assertion because it's lovely fuckin data

i intuit that you have poor hygeine and your coworkers find the resulting odor disagreeable. i don't have any data to support this assertion that's just the vibe i get from your lovely posting

Welp the only way to find out is to go try to for C jobs.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
this really is sulk-evolved

not having a job as a programmer when employers are willing to deal with BO, faux-assburgers, and hair grease coming to work every day if they can writing lovely unreliable code

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

tef posted:

yep and i'm teaching kids :q:

drat it, I thought this was tbc and almost had an aneurysm

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Wait who isn't employed?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
oh i just assumed you were by the amount you post

carry on then

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I worked myself out of stuff to do, the client won't hurry up and do anything so I've started documenting crap and fixing old bugs. Oh and ripping out unused code and finding unfinished poo poo, making a list of crap we need docs for, and sending these questions off for a game of telephone that will come back with "just copy the desktop app" in a few weeks.

So I guess while I'm employed I'm not actually working at the moment as much as getting busy and I'm just annoyed and yeah I'll shut up and look harder for the next job.

sorry yospos

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

MeruFM posted:

this really is sulk-evolved

sulk has the good sense to shut up most of the time.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
advanced strain

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

anscombe's quartet owns

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

lol you nerds debating over stupid bullshit like this is why you cant get laid and they swirlied you in high school

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
you could get a C job but you'd probably have to understand things like operating systems stuff like drivers or file systems or network protocols

and not just string concatenation and googling for answers on stack overflow

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
or in essence, there are plenty of C jobs but not many of them are entry level, so you might have to learn something before hand

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

tef posted:

googling for answers on stack overflow

this is a skill that transcends experience and competance

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

FamDav posted:

2banks did you kill anybody when you were in iraq

oh he's military

well that explains the BOOTSTRAPS OOH RAH

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

lol you nerds debating over stupid bullshit like this is why you cant get laid and they swirlied you in high school

you know you're not allowed to be mean in yospos when you can't even get a real job

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
its called rule 36 and its gonna be around forever

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

FamDav posted:

its called rule 36 and its gonna be misunderstood/misquoted forever

fixed that for you

quote:

36. NO POORS! If you are poor keep your poor dirty trap shut about it

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
No, I'm not military.

A coworker is and we get along pretty good though.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Stringent posted:

fixed that for you

he keeps posting about his poor person job and how he makes in like the 10th percentile for his job

rule 36 to me.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
I need a rereg. Referencing the great recession ain't funny no more and y'all care too hard about me when we should be mocking dynamic languages more.

Or getting deep into C again. I had fun that night.

Who wants to poke around in header files for some OS or hardware hooks :q:

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

stop saying the great recession please

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
So what's the appropriate term for the 2007-2008ish financial cluster gently caress event in these YOS of POS

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

Pollyanna posted:

how do you swirly someone? i dont think anyone swirlied me in high scool :(

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

2banks1swap.avi posted:

So what's the appropriate term for the 2007-2008ish financial cluster gently caress event in these YOS of POS
Capitalism

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

MononcQc posted:

Capitalism

:stare:

mind === blown

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

gucci void main posted:

learn erlang. monocqc's book is much more in depth and erlang is an incredibly important language, unlike haskell.

thanks monocqc. thaqc.

just as a single example, erik meijer farting around with haskell at MSR is why C# has LINQ and reactive extensions.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

both Haskell and Erlang kick a lot of asses, tyvm.

also stealing dat png

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Shaggar posted:

i guess if one isn't content with horrible syntax then nonsensical keywords + function names are the natural next step.

itt shaggar reveals he's never used a zipper irl

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
just stop replying to people who refuse to bring interesting discussion to this thread (my post). once the attention is gone they will be gone. this thread is really good when it gets into the intricacies of langs, interesting problems and ~philosophies~ of programming. it is really bad when it divulges into the discussions from the past 3 pages.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Aight so header files that let you pass poo poo to the OS itself.

Do they ever give functions that let you gently caress with interrupts or is that kept a layer behind what the programmer is supposed to touch most of the time?

I've been thinking about making my own mouse driver for some time now for SnGs since it seems like I'm not too likely to completely bumblefuck my system if I do something terribly wrong. Good idea or are there safer/easier projects to do a C as C was intended?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
dehumanize yourself and face to ioctl

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
boy, i know if i was looking for help on a programming project i'd definitely check in yospos before coc

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Stringent posted:

boy, i know if i was looking for help on a programming project i'd definitely check in yospos before coc

This is a fun thread to talk about C in though.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I don't know if I'd prefer reading the last few pages of this thread or getting actual pages from PagerDuty.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i've been stabbing myself in the dick with a rusty spoon, you should try it

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

MononcQc posted:

I don't know if I'd prefer reading the last few pages of this thread or getting actual pages from PagerDuty.
Actual pages from PagerDuty approximately 7000% more likely to mean something to you. Yes, even considering the "noise" pages.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

in perl on cpan they make the modules have names that are descriptive and make sense, in ruby they make gems named after anime instead. loving ruby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

minidracula posted:

Actual pages from PagerDuty approximately 7000% more likely to mean something to you. Yes, even considering the "noise" pages.
The newest guy we hired got to start babby's first page routine for us at work. He covers the days and I cover the nights (because it would possibly escalate anyway). It's a nice surprise that I only have to do 50% of my on-call week :unsmith: