Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Yeah, you know, I'd be totally fine with Hugo Weaving as Doctor Doom. Hell, even if he was coming back as Red Skull it isn't like the Fantastic Four movies are going to cross over with the MCU any time soon. It'd probably even save them some money, since Weaving could probably pretty easily handle the physical side on top of the vocal duties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohoh0
Apr 5, 2003

TEH GRAPPLER

redbackground posted:

And it has been a crying shame.

Titus Welliver is still my go-to Doctor Strange and all your other choices are dumb.

Well, he's already a SHIELD agent, albeit heavily under utilized in the last episode; hopefully he'll get more screen time later in the season.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Metal Loaf posted:

If he was a bit younger, I reckon Frank Langella could probably pull off full-on comic book Doom.

Edit: Additionally, here's an article I found which looks at a possible Easter egg from Thor 2.

I wonder if they just put fun stuff up there or if any of that will tie to the films. The Fault might maybe?

I do like the Kyle + Yost = x thing up there. Makes me think that Christopher Yost had some input on what they put up there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

CapnAndy posted:

Y'know, I think "arrogant douchebag who had things a bit too easy until he got brought down to Earth and humbled and is now basically kind, if a little bit disconnected from all your bullshit" might be in Clooney's range, yes.

"Baron Mordo, I'm afraid I accidentally replaced your heart with a baked potato. You have three seconds to live."

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
This is gonna sound a little weird but you know who I could see being a good Doctor Doom? Timothy Dalton. Based entirely on his portrayal of Rasillon in Doctor Who.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Some interesting news from Guillermo Del Toro...it seems there's other plans for a DC Cinematic Universe than 'poo poo put EVERYONE in Batman vs. Superman'. I just wished they'd pick a less stupid name than 'Justice League Dark'.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Some interesting news from Guillermo Del Toro...it seems there's other plans for a DC Cinematic Universe than 'poo poo put EVERYONE in Batman vs. Superman'. I just wished they'd pick a less stupid name than 'Justice League Dark'.

Thats already the title of the comic and its done just to tie into the Justice League franchise.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
And thanks to Guillermo Del Toro it will probably be well liked, but way over budget and a financially unsuccessful.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

LightsGameraAction posted:

This is gonna sound a little weird but you know who I could see being a good Doctor Doom? Timothy Dalton. Based entirely on his portrayal of Rasillon in Doctor Who.

I can see this. He was great in Hot Fuzz.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

greatn posted:

And thanks to Guillermo Del Toro it will probably be well liked, but way over budget and a financially unsuccessful.
Or not happen at all since he seems to attach himself to everything, and end up never making those things.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Or not happen at all since he seems to attach himself to everything, and end up never making those things.

Yeah. I wouldn't expect a Del Toro film to actually come out until I'm sitting in the cinema watching it.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Thats already the title of the comic and its done just to tie into the Justice League franchise.

Yeah and it's a terrible name there too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CapnAndy posted:

Meanwhile, DC has been owned by Warner Brothers, which has its own studio and publishes its own movies, since 1967. They could have been doing shared-universe stuff at literally any point. They still have the movie rights to all their characters.

And they've let Marvel eat their loving lunch. It's frankly unbelievable that heads haven't rolled at DC and WB for this poo poo. Five years after Iron Man and DC's best is "oh God just throw everything into Superman 2, that's the same thing as a carefully planned buildup over five solo movies, right, good enough, poo poo can we shove Wonder Woman in there too"?

DC were trailblazers in the shared universe live action superhero franchises with their 1979 JLA shows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg2EvhTAer8

They had Adam West and Burt Ward as Batman and Robin along with Captain Marvel, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Huntress, Flash, Atom and Black Canary fighting the Legion of Doom (Riddler, Weather Wizard, Sinestro, Mordru, Dr. Sivana, Giganta and Solomon Grundy) and it was exactly as campy and horrible and dumb and glorious as you can imagine. :v:

The second episode was a roast hosted by Ed McMahon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Dv83BM_5w

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I just saw Thor and I liked it a lot but it didn't have the same spark that the first Thor movie did. I suppose you can really only do "Thor is banished to Earth, stripped of his powers, fish out of water" once. I did like how, within the first few minutes of the film, they define what Asgardians are in that they aren't "gods". They die just like everyone else. They just live a whole lot longer.

I'm not big on Thor's back story or Norse mythology so I don't know if I specifically cared a lot about the villains. But I thought the thing that Jane was infected with could be a nice stand-in for a Phoenix Force if they ever wanna go that route. I was really surprised Jane lived through the whole thing, especially with some of the gossip surrounding Portman being pissed at the original director leaving the film under strange circumstances.

There was a good preview of Cap 2 before Thor and that looks like it's going to do a whole lot of world building within the CMU with a fairly heavy SHIELD presence. I really liked Cap 1 so I have high hopes for this film. And if it makes me give a gently caress about Black Widow, that's even better.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

One thing that surprised me was that Odin had a father. I had never heard of that in the comics, I thought Odin had been around since the beginning of everything.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Isn't the reason Alan Taylor was pissed off at the stupid is because of the Mid Credits scene?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lobok posted:

One thing that surprised me was that Odin had a father. I had never heard of that in the comics, I thought Odin had been around since the beginning of everything.

Odin's father has appeared. Loki caused him to go nuts and Thor killed him, and that caused for him to be exiled and Balder was given control of Asgard. Loki then convinced him to move to Latveria. It was in JMS run

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lobok posted:

Odin mentions his own father and grandfather in the first Thor film. "I banish you in the name of my father and his father before!". That's as far back as it goes though. Odin's granddad is the first.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

jivjov posted:

Odin mentions his own father and grandfather in the first Thor film. "I banish you in the name of my father and his father before!". That's as far back as it goes though. Odin's granddad is the first.

Ah, I was probably equally surprised the first time and then just forgot all about it since then. You learn something new about Norse mythology everyday. Speaking of, I probably should have learned this particular fact yesterday to make it appropriate.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Thor 2 had Tyr in it, who was also in the comics, but I cannot recall which one he was. One nice touch is the Asgard doctor who examined Jane being named Eir.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The MSJ posted:

Thor 2 had Tyr in it, who was also in the comics, but I cannot recall which one he was. One nice touch is the Asgard doctor who examined Jane being named Eir.

When Odin comes to Hemidal after Thor and the rest go to spring Loki, a squad of soldiers come up and there is a guy with a long beard and no helmet, I assume that's Tyr, but can't be sure unless you can see if he had only one hand.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

twistedmentat posted:

Isn't the reason Alan Taylor was pissed off at the stupid is because of the Mid Credits scene?

I've read this three times and I'm still not sure what you mean.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Dan Didio posted:

I've read this three times and I'm still not sure what you mean.

I think he's talking about how Alan Taylor disliked how campy the GOTG teaser was and wasn't happy about having it attached to his movie.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Oh, I know about that. I just thought there was something more to it from the, rather confusing, wording.

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Lobok posted:

Ah, I was probably equally surprised the first time and then just forgot all about it since then. You learn something new about Norse mythology everyday. Speaking of, I probably should have learned this particular fact yesterday to make it appropriate.

I was recently disappointed to learn that a lot of the pronunciation of Norse names in the Marvel movies are just plain wrong. Like apparently Heimdall's name is actually correctly pronounced "Heym-dall". It sounds a lot less badass, but now it's going to bother me forever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

HorseRenoir posted:

I think he's talking about how Alan Taylor disliked how campy the GOTG teaser was and wasn't happy about having it attached to his movie.

Yep, I shouldn't post from my phone. And yea, Taylor felt that it didn't fit with the tone of the film and that they DARED to put someone elses work into it. Which is kind of silly because they all have those things in them. It would like being upset that Stan lee had a cameo.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

All he said was that he was happy not to take credit for it and that it doesn't fit with the tone of the film. He pretty clearly wasn't pissed off and has already apologized to Gunn for what he said, even though he made it clear he didn't think Gunn was at fault, or a bad director or anything, or that he was furious that they 'dared' attach someone else's work.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

bobkatt013 posted:

Odin's father has appeared. Loki caused him to go nuts and Thor killed him, and that caused for him to be exiled and Balder was given control of Asgard. Loki then convinced him to move to Latveria. It was in JMS run

He also turned out in Journey Into Mystery to be kind of a dick. He went out hunting, a left his shieldmaidens to defend his keep. When a bunch of Mercenaries that worked for him showed up, the shieldmaidens ultimately decided that the whole 'vow of chastity' was a load of bullshit, Bor got pissed and murdered all the mercenaries except one and cursed them to turn into immortal cannibals until they killed or married the mercenary leader, Sigurd (the shieldmaidens let him escape). Granted he was working from Dark Age standards, but still. When you're a bigger dick of a Norse God than Loki, you have problems (although the main Loki in that story was in fact Kid Loki, a reincarnated and heroic version with none of the previous baggage, the classic Loki was still around in the form of a magpie. Comics, everybody!).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

twistedmentat posted:

It would like being upset that Stan lee had a cameo.
My boyfriend gets increasingly pissed off at this in every Marvel movie.

I, for one, loved the Lee cameo in The Dark World. :colbert:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

irlZaphod posted:

He'll look right foolish when it turns out that Stan Lee is just one of the hologram forms of the Watcher or some other comicy weirdness.

Professor Dog
Jul 25, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

I think it's harmless and charming. The only time it grated for me was Spider-man 3. But then, that movie...yeesh.

If it bothers your boyfriend, tell him Stan Lee is Uatu taking human form.

Edit: Beaten

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Professor Dog posted:

If it bothers your boyfriend, tell him Stan Lee is Uatu taking human form.
I don't think he'd get that reference. It was bad enough when, before we got together, he asked me what was going on in Iron Man, during Dark Reign. :negative:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Dan Didio posted:

All he said was that he was happy not to take credit for it and that it doesn't fit with the tone of the film. He pretty clearly wasn't pissed off and has already apologized to Gunn for what he said, even though he made it clear he didn't think Gunn was at fault, or a bad director or anything, or that he was furious that they 'dared' attach someone else's work.

That sounds more reasonable, as I read the whole thing on one of those linkbate sites that are full of "10 things you didn't know about movie X!" and "Shocking photos from movie Y!" type pages. I am sure they are the highest quality journalism.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had seen a message board post by a Whedon fanboy insisting that Sarah Michelle Gellar could and should play Captain Marvel. I didn't really buy it. I've now encountered another suggestion: Anna Torv.

I'm actually watching Fringe at the moment. I'm not really sure. Maybe?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I had seen a message board post by a Whedon fanboy insisting that Sarah Michelle Gellar could and should play Captain Marvel. I didn't really buy it. I've now encountered another suggestion: Anna Torv.

How far are you in it?

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Metal Loaf posted:

If you watch the whole series, you'll see that she is an incredible actress. I would have no doubts about her ability to do any role.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

How far are you in it?

I'm only halfway through the second season at the moment.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm only halfway through the second season at the moment.

She gets a lot better and I am not going to say more since its incredible to watch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anna Torv isn't a bad pick at all, but her mannerisms don't quite fit the part to me. I guess it isn't fair to say, since I haven't seen her in anything other than Fringe, but it's hard to imagine her in an action role.

And I don't think the "action" parts in the later seasons of Fringe that I won't spoil are a particular good indicator of anything. But I wouldn't complain if they cast her, I'm sure she'd do a great job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

I just saw Thor and I liked it a lot but it didn't have the same spark that the first Thor movie did. I suppose you can really only do "Thor is banished to Earth, stripped of his powers, fish out of water" once.
I must have missed this part of the movie.

Edit: I'm dumb and read that as him saying they used it again.

Olibu fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 15, 2013

• Locked thread