Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Vengarr posted:

For the guy who asked: no, you can't delay the second Slingshot mission anymore. If you pass it up, the Council won't give you a second shot.
A related question, does the same go for the Progeny missions? I was considering skipping the DLC missions if they show up and keep re-appearing when you don't take them.

Do the DLC missions still show up very early in the game? If so I may skip them altogether, as it seems you would need to spend a lot of resources on them for little gain in the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any good quick tips for someone jumping back into this game after a year? I do have the new expansion, but I don't think I've played since the patch that added all the Second Swarm mode options or whatever.

Just bought from GMG today so I'm kind of excited, loving love this game. :xcom:

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

nnnotime posted:

Do the DLC missions still show up very early in the game? If so I may skip them altogether, as it seems you would need to spend a lot of resources on them for little gain in the early game.

I got the first slingshot mission about when you usually do in the base game, but didn't get the followup for another 2-3 months (Battleship was a few days after the second one).

Haven't run into progeny yet.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I just had the weirdest bug.

Classic/Ironman, I was in an abduction mission in the first month. I had only killed a single enemy, and there was one more in sight. I fired a shredder rocket at it, and my character just said "Boom!", so it wasn't a failed shot. But it streaked all of 5' before hitting the car nearby, critically wounding my sniper, and then the mission instantly ended saying I had killed all 4 aliens (I had only seen the two up until then, and only killed one!), and luckily that sniper lived.

Weird. Insta-win, and I got all the meld too.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Speedball posted:

It kind of feels like what Firaxis did when they expanded Civilization 5. More options than you can realistically pursue at once.

Yep, that's how I feel too. Same game but way more options. How are you guys dealing with seekers? It seems a bit lame to me because my only counter has been, "overwatch for 2-3 rounds until they leave stealth and insta-die." On that note, I wish all 6 of my dudes wouldn't blow their overwatch when the first shot kills.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 13, 2013

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Attention Horse posted:

Go to GreenManGaming and use this code at the checkout: GMG25-C5729-7SY25. I think it's -25%.

Thank you very much!

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
How is kinetic strike supposed to work?

I've been trying to run my mec up next to enemies with one movement to punch them, but the kinetic strike option is usually greyed out. Do you have to use it on the first movement, or is there a minimum range inside of which it won't work?

I've only punched one guy and it was awesome, I want to punch more guys :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Yep, that's how I feel too. Same game but way more options. How are you guys dealing with seekers? It seems a bit lame to me because my only counter has been, "overwatch for 2-3 rounds until they leave stealth and insta-die." On that note, I wish all 6 of my dudes wouldn't blow their overwatch when the first shot kills.

Sniper Battle Scanner reveals them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sniper Battle Scanner reveals them.

We're going to see that language evolve. I know for sure I'm never going back to the old class skill system.

I really hate how the gene mod soldiers look. I want my beefy armour back, sleeveless should be an option but not mandatory.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Demiurge4 posted:

We're going to see that language evolve. I know for sure I'm never going back to the old class skill system.

I really hate how the gene mod soldiers look. I want my beefy armour back, sleeveless should be an option but not mandatory.

I'm really finding that squadsight snipers get left behind more often now. Between fluid mission objectives like that loving whale mission and trying to get meld containers, my guys are on the move far more often than not. My first sniper is a squadsight guy, and I've fired his rifle. . . four or five times in as many hours of gameplay so far.

Lately my general squad setup has been an assault, a heavy or two, and the rest sprinter supports. The added maneuverability is really killer. I'm gonna roll my next sniper as a snapshot guy and use him in a scout/sniper kind of role with battle scanner.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Demiurge4 posted:

Can non-Sniper classes get sniper stuff that way? Could...could I get shredder rockets on non-heavies?

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Vikings posted:

I've been trying to run my mec up next to enemies with one movement to punch them, but the kinetic strike option is usually greyed out. Do you have to use it on the first movement, or is there a minimum range inside of which it won't work?

Sounds like a bug? I've had that issue where I run right up to someone and I can't smack them.

Punching is pretty great though. Wait until you go up to punch a Mechtoid :allears:

RBA Starblade posted:

Can non-Sniper classes get sniper stuff that way? Could...could I get shredder rockets on non-heavies?

Pretty sure weapon specific skills are excluded from the roulette. I'd love for someone to say I'm wrong though, because a non-heavy with rockets sounds :black101:

year199X fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 13, 2013

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

wolfman101 posted:

Really disliking the fact that if you use dash outside of visual range the enemy knows exactly what tile you are standing on when you finish the dash. Then they also have an encyclopedic knowledge of what tiles can shoot at your dashy man and will immediately move there and shoot at your dude.

Yeah they know exactly what tile to come into in order to take a shot and not trigger your overwatch too :/

They also basically know where you are at all times as well. The AI will make mistakes (maybe this is coded in?) but for example if you have one soldier alive out of sight and try to flank the aliens it won't ever work.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

RBA Starblade posted:

You won't get shredder rockets on non-heavies, unfortunately, but you can get fun abilities like bullet storm on snipers. There are some guaranteed skills available still, so your snipers will still be able to get squad sight as a sure thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Panzeh posted:

You won't get shredder rockets on non-heavies, unfortunately, but you can get fun abilities like bullet storm on snipers. There are some guaranteed skills available still, so your snipers will still be able to get squad sight as a sure thing.

Oh thank God, that was my next question.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

Does bullet storm + double tap mean you get to take 4 shots?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Apparently the author of Toolboks isn't working on a new version it seems. :(

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

year199X posted:

I got the first slingshot mission about when you usually do in the base game, but didn't get the followup for another 2-3 months (Battleship was a few days after the second one).

Haven't run into progeny yet.

I finally hit Progeny in late July.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I checked the OP and the last page and pardon me if I didn't want to trawl through teneleven pages since release. Is there a bullet point list of the stuff added in the expansion?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

year199X posted:

Does bullet storm + double tap mean you get to take 4 shots?

I think double tap only works once in a turn, so three.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm surprised they didn't try to add in 'mutant soldier' looks into options for gene modded troops.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

The Vikings posted:

This is a probably a dumb question but are your MECdudes standing diagonally from whatever you're trying to punch? Because they can only hit in cardinal directions.

Also man alive is the MELD system fun. This whole expansion added so much new and interesting poo poo the base game sorely needed. Probably the only bad thing I can think of is that it references The Bureau.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

hiddenmovement posted:

I've got the worst loving frenchman on my squad at the moment. He's a squaddie sniper and he's missed 12 shots in a row now, never gonna rank up. He's becoming a robot first chance I get.

Give him a grenade, aka the 'guarantee a squaddie/rookie level up' device.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
We need to start figuring out what tiers of abilities aren't ever in the roulette.

For as far as I can tell, snipers ALWAYS get squadsight/snap shot as a choice, supports ALWAYS get dense smoke/combat drugs as a choice. I haven't gotten anyone high enough yet but is the single ability part of the roulette as well or is it always class specific?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Do any of your soldiers carry over? Sort of like new gsme+? Or do you start a new game all over?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

FraudulentEconomics posted:

We need to start figuring out what tiers of abilities aren't ever in the roulette.

For as far as I can tell, snipers ALWAYS get squadsight/snap shot as a choice, supports ALWAYS get dense smoke/combat drugs as a choice. I haven't gotten anyone high enough yet but is the single ability part of the roulette as well or is it always class specific?

As far as I know the only set abilities are weapon (or smoke grenade) specific.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ulvirich posted:

I checked the OP and the last page and pardon me if I didn't want to trawl through teneleven pages since release. Is there a bullet point list of the stuff added in the expansion?

http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=XCOM:_Enemy_Within_DLC_(EU2012)

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012
So does anyone know how important Portent is? Am I missing out on stuff if I don't complete it? Because I've had 5 attempts at playing Classic Ironman and I get squad wiped every single time on that mission (gently caress Thin Men).

Robhol fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 13, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

SBJ posted:

I always pick armour over laser weapons. I think having more than 4-5 health so that you don't get killed in one shot from sectoids and Thin Men are a better investment, especially as you're trying to level up your guys. You can still kill most aliens in one or two shots with ballistics until you encounter mutons. Even then, heavies can take them down in 2 good shots.

I mean, sure, rookies are expendable, but you have to have some survive the meat grinder consistently enough to actually become useful.

In pre-expansion, I'd usually try to get laser weapons first. The reason being that smart use of your troops means they won't be getting fired upon very much to begin with, and you want laser weapons in time for the chryssalids - which will very quickly kill your guys even if they do have the armor by then.

No idea how the dynamic changes with meld though - the mechs could probably tank the chryssalids away from your lower armored troops though.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Marbozir has his LP of XCOM Impossible up now, if any of you guys enjoy his videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYQT2d3hhBs

quote:

Do any of your soldiers carry over? Sort of like new gsme+? Or do you start a new game all over?

Nothing carries over. There are hero soldiers you can get via easter eggs, and they disable achievements because they're super OP.

quote:

Give him a grenade, aka the 'guarantee a squaddie/rookie level up' device.

Also known as the field training manual for snipers.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 13, 2013

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

Thompsons posted:

This is a probably a dumb question but are your MECdudes standing diagonally from whatever you're trying to punch? Because they can only hit in cardinal directions.
:doh: Thinking about my last session, that's probably what it was. Thanks!

agauntpanda
Jul 23, 2013

Boy am I glad we moved Portent (Progeny mission 1) to month 2 (from month 1).

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Changing difficulty is apparently bugged. I've been wondering why my game has been so goddamn easy, and it's because every time I start a mission it automatically switches the difficulty from classic to normal. What the hell.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

:xcom:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I think I have to start over. I wiped on Portent(within sight of the landing zone...not bad considering I was down to 3 1-hp soldiers and no explosives by the time I reached the survivor), I have like six soldiers in the barracks, I finally have third and fourth satellites but can't afford to make an uplink, Mexico bailed on me, and I don't even have laser weapons yet.

A lot of it due to me loving up the build order due to being rusty, but I do think they've made the early game a little harder at least. So many thin men.

quote:

So does anyone know how important Portent is? Am I missing out on stuff if I don't complete it? Because I've had 5 attempts at playing Classic Ironman and I get squad wiped every single time on that mission (gently caress Thin Men).

Apparently if you beat the whole questline you get a named character who is a Lieutenant support and a super powerful psychic, and three other Lieutenant gifted characters. Big risk early on for a big payoff later.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 13, 2013

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Rascyc posted:

Has anyone finished Operation Progeny yet? Are the final rewards from Progeny as game breaking as the ones from Slingshot?

I just finished Progeny. Trip report!

No, the rewards are actually fairly underwhelming.

The first mission is a trip through Thin Men Hell, and is a VIP extraction mission. People have talked about it quite a bit. The second mission is the dam mission, and it plays not much different from a bomb defusal. Except you're opening valves instead of hitting power nodes.

The final mission is...an Abductor UFO mission that you have to clear in 12 turns. If you do, you get to rescue Annette's buddies, who are all PSI-gifted and start as lieutenants.

The thing is, you can't get to mission 2 or 3 of Progeny until you clear the X-COM base defense, which itself can't happen until you clear the Alien Base. By the time I beat Progeny I had a team of full colonels, so a bunch of LT's aren't all that impressive.

What I'd like to know is: is Annette's class randomly assigned? Because I got her as a Sniper, which is pretty worthless for a PSI-soldier. Plus, her dialogue lines are so :black101: I feel like she's more suited for an Assault.

:zaeed: "DIE ALIENS!" WHEN DO I GET TO SHOOT ALIENS?!" "I WILL GET YOU...ALL OF YOU!" :black101:

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 13, 2013

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's a squaddie :frogout:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Yay new second wave options:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Since nobody has mentioned it yet,

Tactical spoilers for Progeny Mission 2:

[*] The mission is called Deluge.
[*] It's a slightly more forgiving version of Confounding Light: You get eight turns until mission failure, and there are uh, either four or six valves to capture along the way. However, capturing a node extends the deadline by a turn or two. You still have to rush like hell but it's maybe not quite AS brutal a time constraint as Confounding Light.
[*] Drops alternate 2x Mutons and Sectoids plus 1x Mechtoid. The final drop is two Mechtoids at once. Don't overwatch the Mechtoid drops, they deliberately drop the Sectoids first to soak Overwatch fire. As with Confounding Light there are Thin Men pre-placed on the map as well.
[*] I fought like five Mechtoids (1 + 1 + 1 + 2) just on Normal, so Classic is going to be absolute hell.

Plot spoilers for Progeny Mission 2:

Once you reach the end of the dam, everything else plays out as a cutscene. An armored truck sits at the end of the road, Annette Durand jumps out and tries to make a run for it, but she is captured by XCOM at gunpoint, though she attempts a weak psionic attack in the process. Upon noticing that XCOM do in fact do what they say on the tin and kill aliens, unlike just about everybody else on the planet, she changes her mind and volunteers to join XCOM.

In my game at least, she joins as a Lt Heavy with above-average Will, but she does not have any psionics at joining time. Obviously the game drops a 10 ton hint that you should probably stick her in the Psi Lab, but I guess Progeny mission 3 might make her go all Sid Meier or something, I haven't got that far.

In summary, all you need to do to recruit Annette is to not fail the first two Progeny missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Much obliged, thank you! :tipshat:

• Locked thread