Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, who the gently caress cares if the title is hard to pronounce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Box offices can be really snobby and wont sell you a ticket unless you get the pronunciation exactly correct.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

axleblaze posted:

Jesus, who the gently caress cares if the title is hard to pronounce?

My favourite movie is Battleship Pokemon.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

My favourite movie is Battleship Pokemon.

You joke, but that was said a few times when we showed it at my theater.

Also: Maleficent isn't a hard word. Jesus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Also: Maleficent isn't a hard word. Jesus.

Its literally just "magnificent" but with Mal- (bad) in place of Magn- (great). Is the lack of the letter "i" throwing so many people off? I've never heard someone complain about the name's difficulty before.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Box offices can be really snobby and wont sell you a ticket unless you get the pronunciation exactly correct.

I'll always regret not being able to see Koyaanisqatsi on the big screen.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Until this morning, I thought it was pronounced "Mal-Efficient." Like she wasn't very good at being an evil witch.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Hewlett posted:

Until this morning, I thought it was pronounced "Mal-Efficient." Like she wasn't very good at being an evil witch.

I would watch that movie.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
The "dude with his back to the camera with wonky as gently caress perspective" trend continues mightily!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Noah with slo-mo fighting sequences?

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Harlock posted:

Noah with slo-mo fighting sequences?

Yeah I can't wait to see Noah fight his arch-nemesis uh...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Humanity.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saving animals and praising God and fightin' 'round the world

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Noah has a pretty good grip on that rock.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
A man can do strange things when he's got the power of GAWD inside him.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Anyone know if the movie has dinosaurs in it? I really hope it has dinosaurs in it.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

The "dude with his back to the camera with wonky as gently caress perspective" trend continues mightily!

I'm seriously having a hard time believing that this is real and not just a parody of dumb Hollywood blockbusters and their posters.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I hope the movie is a thriller where Noah spends all his time desperately trying to stop the lions and tigers and wolves from eating him and all the other animals.

Madkal posted:

Anyone know if the movie has dinosaurs in it? I really hope it has dinosaurs in it.

Don't be silly, everyone know dinosaurs didn't make it onto the ark because they were lazy or sinful or something.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Yeah I can't wait to see Noah fight his arch-nemesis uh...

His sons.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Is that the movie where Noah goes crazy and kills all the people on the ark? Or is there another Noah movie out recently?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Wikipedia has this listed as the "tagline":

quote:

Rediscover the epic story of one man and the most remarkable event in our history.

Yes, because the story of Noah is an historical event. Absolutely.

I get the feeling the marketing for this movie in general is going to be highly misleading.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

I would probably watch a movie where God tasks Noah with personally killing all of the wretched humans.

Except No I wouldn't because halfway through that sentence I got bored cause a movie about Noah sounds like poo poo.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
How much you wanna bet that it's gonna be another one of those "de-mythologized" myth movies? If nothing else, it'll be one hell of a thing to see how they explain Noah building the Ark and filling it with specimens of every species on earth (and indeed, the entire earth getting flooded in the first place) without divine influence being involved.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

If Russell Crowe as Noah, directed by Darren Aronofsky, doesn't at least sound intriguing, then I don't know what to tell you.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Olden day 2012

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

If Russell Crowe as Noah, directed by Darren Aronofsky, doesn't at least sound intriguing, then I don't know what to tell you.

Fair enough, if it's got Aronofsky directing it could be good. I'm just so tired of re-imaginings and Noah is possibly the least interesting protagonist I can think of.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Fair enough, if it's got Aronofsky directing it could be good. I'm just so tired of re-imaginings and Noah is possibly the least interesting protagonist I can think of.

That's not true, it could be Evan Almighty.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Having seen some of Noah already I can tell you all that it's amazing, and it really does have Noah decide that humanity isn't worthy of being saved so he goes on a killing spree to wipe us out.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 13, 2013

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doctor Bishop posted:

How much you wanna bet that it's gonna be another one of those "de-mythologized" myth movies? If nothing else, it'll be one hell of a thing to see how they explain Noah building the Ark and filling it with specimens of every species on earth (and indeed, the entire earth getting flooded in the first place) without divine influence being involved.

Nope, according to all reports its totally balls crazyz.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'd prefer Darren Aronofsky's NOAH, with Russell Crowe as Mitsuhara Misawa.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Nope, according to all reports its totally balls crazyz.

This. Not only are all the animals CGI (there meant to be less evolved versions of modern animals) but it actually does the complete of demystifying the story. It is God that orders him to build the ark and he's very angry when Noah does so only to decide we aren't worth saving.

It's very, very good.

I have no idea if it's going to survive the backlash against it and make it to the cinema's in the version I saw though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

PriorMarcus posted:

This. Not only are all the animals CGI (there meant to be less evolved versions of modern animals) but it actually does the complete of demystifying the story. It is God that orders him to build the ark and he's very angry when Noah does so only to decide we aren't worth saving.

It's very, very good.

I have no idea if it's going to survive the backlash against it and make it to the cinema's in the version I saw though.

Is it true that there are crazy-looking CGI angels in it?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Is it true that there are crazy-looking CGI angels in it?

They weren't finished when I saw it in February of this year, half of the graphics where still pre visuals, but yeah, full on loving crazy angels. Like, head of a lion, thousand eyes, etc.

I saw it at a film festival I was working on a documentary for, and the religious outreach group their did a screening of it. No disclaimers signed or anything. All they asked was that we turn off the cameras.

Violator
May 15, 2003

This sounds amazing, via Wikipedia:

Subject to divine visions foretelling the end of the world, Noah attempts to tell his people to cease their mistreatment of the Earth in order to be saved. No one listens to his warnings, and Noah and his family are cast out to fend for themselves in the wilderness. Noah approaches a race of giant six-armed angels known as the "Watchers" to rally them to his cause.

and the reaction from the religious folk:

When Christian screenwriter Brian Godawa acquired a copy of the script in October 2012, he posted an evaluation on his website with the title "Darren Aronofsky's Noah: Environmentalist Wacko," predicting that the film "will be rejected by millions of devoted Bible readers worldwide because once again it subverts their own sacred narrative with a political agenda of pagan earth religion that is offensive to their Faith."

Producer Scott Franklin told Entertainment Weekly, "Noah is a very short section of the Bible with a lot of gaps, so we definitely had to take some creative expression in it. But I think we stayed very true to the story and didn't really deviate from the Bible, despite the six-armed angels."

When you tell people something's going to be good despite the thousand-eyed, lion-headed six-armed angels of doom, I'll be there opening day.

Violator fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 13, 2013

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yep, sounds goddamn fantastic. I really hope they don't butcher it in order to appease Christians. I'd much rather have an incredibly misleading ad campaign than a compromised vision. Aronofsky has never disappointed me, but I can understand this is probably one of his most controversial works.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

People are intrigued by Russel Crowe?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Almost everything Aronofsky directs ranges from "interesting" to "reeeeeally loving intriguing", so it'll definitely be worth a watch even if it isn't one of his best.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Violator posted:

This sounds amazing, via Wikipedia:

Subject to divine visions foretelling the end of the world, Noah attempts to tell his people to cease their mistreatment of the Earth in order to be saved. No one listens to his warnings, and Noah and his family are cast out to fend for themselves in the wilderness. Noah approaches a race of giant six-armed angels known as the "Watchers" to rally them to his cause.

and the reaction from the religious folk:

When Christian screenwriter Brian Godawa acquired a copy of the script in October 2012, he posted an evaluation on his website with the title "Darren Aronofsky's Noah: Environmentalist Wacko," predicting that the film "will be rejected by millions of devoted Bible readers worldwide because once again it subverts their own sacred narrative with a political agenda of pagan earth religion that is offensive to their Faith."

Producer Scott Franklin told Entertainment Weekly, "Noah is a very short section of the Bible with a lot of gaps, so we definitely had to take some creative expression in it. But I think we stayed very true to the story and didn't really deviate from the Bible, despite the six-armed angels."

When you tell people something's going to be good despite the thousand-eyed, lion-headed six-armed angels of doom, I'll be there opening day.

It's kinda lame though that hes making some kind of environmental allegory about it. I'd much rather have debauched sex with giants be the reason God purges mankind.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Squishy posted:

People are intrigued by Russel Crowe?

I like Russel Crowe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

It's kinda lame though that hes making some kind of environmental allegory about it. I'd much rather have debauched sex with giants be the reason God purges mankind.

It isn't just an environmental message.