Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I should have just blown my 1600 hero points on cover space last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

See what you get for ignoring me!

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Well, poo poo.

I have high hopes that R42 cover change/collection thing he mentioned will make up for the price hike. The devs have been pretty good with taking one step back and two steps forward, like the health kit thing, or before that the need for less covers to max powers (when they took a bunch of them as rewards out).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah. Overall though I think the game's been making good steady progress and is definitely a lot more fun these days than it used to be. Still rough edged at parts and other parts where they clearly have to make a profit. Going for a 150 coin increase is a tiny bit much though.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I have to say, seeing how they're rejigging the game as we play it, it makes me not really want to spend money on this game.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I hope it's not some bullshit PVP bonus for having more characters in your cover collection.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Eddain posted:

I hope it's not some bullshit PVP bonus for having more characters in your cover collection.

Holy crap, that's a scary thought. There's certainly precedent, in Marvel games alone, such as Avengers Alliance (which I just started dicking around with after doing the facebook thing for this game). That one seems quite cynical.
Then again, there's Marvel Heroes, where you get a (PVE) bonus for each hero of a certain level (limit of 10 applying at once). That one's quite well done though, certainly not overpowering or a cash grab.

drat I play too many f2p Marvel games.

The scary part is that there are still more out there.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I started building up a Hawkeye Classic on a whim again last night. He's now 3/5. :v:

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

Eddain posted:

I figured it was more like covers of a character you already have don't take up slots but that's just a stab in the dark.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

WetSpink posted:

I figured it was more like covers of a character you already have don't take up slots but that's just a stab in the dark.

I'm hoping for something like this. Yeah, of course most of the time you train those covers right out, but at least they won't go straight into the depths of the cache, no matter how deep it goes.

Probably asking a lot but if they did some kind of "collection" storage, that is, here are your x-men covers, here are your avengers, here are your dark avengers, etc. and each had like 3 covers to store, expanded by coins, that'd be over all neat. If each
Coin purchase was like a 4th card for all collections, a fifth, and so on. But like I said, I'm just a dreamer.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 14, 2013

mania
Sep 9, 2004
Boosted Hood is crazy with environment tiles. He gets 10 per tile and his crit is 11x, if you crit match environment tiles, that's 330 environment tiles.

Shwqa posted:

Oh cool cover slots cost more now :argh:

Why did I save up my hero points instead of spending it on cover space straight away. I would have ended up spending it on cover space in the end anyway.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

I started building up a Hawkeye Classic on a whim again last night. He's now 3/5. :v:

I have mine at 5/5 that I barely use so he's only sitting at level 15.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mania posted:

Boosted Hood is crazy with environment tiles. He gets 10 per tile and his crit is 11x, if you crit match environment tiles, that's 330 environment tiles.

Imagine all the hotdogs you could eat.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Lightning rounds aren't even worth doing until you're dudes are leveled. Hey alright almost to the 250 token reward *three teams of dudes 20-30 levels higher than me hit me for -25 each" :smith: oh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That token probably would have given you a Hawkeye anyway.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Playing strategic on these late night Lightning Rounds, aiming for black daken on this one and mainly attacking people who seem like they got to reward plateaus and stopped like 50-62 points, 250-265 points.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

WetSpink posted:

Playing strategic on these late night Lightning Rounds, aiming for black daken on this one and mainly attacking people who seem like they got to reward plateaus and stopped like 50-62 points, 250-265 points.
Cool. I am going for black Daken too. This will give me all of my Daken covers if I get it (but I have so many people to level up that it will be a while before I ever get to him). Good luck!

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
Lightning rounds are almost always worth it for at least a couple fights for the easy rewards at the bottom. I have no idea how to rank high enough for cover rewards.

On the other hand, I finally hit the 1 spot in Thornament today AND got the 1000-point reward on the same win. Got me that classic Storm green cover I've been looking for and now she's 5-3-5.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Thornament boost loading strategy is working well for the Lightning rounds. Loading up on +all and +red/yellow means that you can quickly finish off matches and earn points faster than by going without. I got up to 20ish in a lightning round before I had to take a break. (or rather my lunch break was over and I had to get back to work :v:)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I love how any team with a Thor and no Classic Storm is pretty much a free win in these Lightning Tournaments. Match an environment tile, Loki gets whacked, bad guys fall down. Thor gets a bunch of free red AP to start chaining red/yellow hammers. Repeat as necessary.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay, better strategy: Use the swamp map and match up everything with your villain! The minor boost can be used for +5 AP everywhere. The major one? Turns all green and environment tiles red, drains all enemy AP. It's a red hammer smashing bonanza.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, better strategy: Use the swamp map and match up everything with your villain! The minor boost can be used for +5 AP everywhere. The major one? Turns all green and environment tiles red, drains all enemy AP. It's a red hammer smashing bonanza.

Yeah swamp tiles are amazing in lightning rounds. They shove Loki out front to eat hits to trigger Storm's passive and generate huge amounts of free AP to start Thor chains too. So good.

Edit for clarity: The reason high level Thors make this so much easier is they deal enough damage on a normal tile match to trigger Storm's passive when hitting Loki/whatever free villain you get. It's common to get back-to-back Storm triggers *and* a use of the swamp tiles +5 all AP in the first two turns of a match. Makes mopping up that 4-5k leftover Thor a snap. Super quick fights too.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Nov 14, 2013

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Heroic mode anybody?

E: they give you a (buffed) level 51 3/2/2 im40 to play with :stare:

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 14, 2013

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The hero mode placing rewards, holy poo poo

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
They really pile on the events towards the end of the week, this is loving great!

Perfect line up of characters there too, getting a break from big rear end ragnaroks? Hell yes, please.

Edit: Black Daken Cover at 3 hundo, awesome!

Edit 2: Oh, I guess it doesn't matter about the ragnarok thing, my mind went automatically towards PVP.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 14, 2013

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I was just shooting for some free ISO/tokens in the Doom round. Made the mistake of going against a team with a high level Doom. He cast his summon demons ability, and each tile was hitting me for over 500.

Not doing that again!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Are health packs common? I find that I do one battle and my key guys are all injured, it's kind of a pain.

Obviously it's a free to play game and timers are going to be all over it, but I'm not sure how to do multiple Lightning Round matches without burning through health packs.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

sheeeeeeit, just managed to sneak into #83 with 1 minute left to go in that LR. Come to mama, black Daken. Getting 300+ gets pretty hairy when attacks are flyng in.

triplexpac posted:

Are health packs common? I find that I do one battle and my key guys are all injured, it's kind of a pain.

Obviously it's a free to play game and timers are going to be all over it, but I'm not sure how to do multiple Lightning Round matches without burning through health packs.

Have you farmed the pve chapters? There are health pack rewards in quite a few missions.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
So, uh, currently the rewards aren't being checked off as attained in this juggernaut thing.

There are 50 coin mission rewards. You can repeat missions.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Finally this heroic mode brings something where I won't get repeatedly attacked. Also it has a black daken that is a lot easier to attain at your own speed.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Chuds McGreedy posted:

So, uh, currently the rewards aren't being checked off as attained in this juggernaut thing.

I was just noticing this myself.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Cool. I just replayed that one 2 more times and got the coins. All you have to do is get the red AP before juggernaut goes nuts and iron man takes him down easy.

EDIT: and now they give me a level 4 black widow instead of iron man.

JHVH-1 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 14, 2013

dabre_aiamim
Oct 23, 2008
Lipstick Apathy

kdrudy posted:

I was just noticing this myself.

It will mark it as played, but only after 4 or 5 runs when I tried it.

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

The difficulty seems all over the place, too. First, you fight a buffed up Juggernaut, then some normal level soldiers, then at the end holy gently caress it's Ragnarok.

Almost beat the Ragnarok + Daken fight, the one with the Thor rewards. Still need me a couple of red Thors, so that would have been sweet. Vs a high level Ragnarok, though, nothing's ever certain.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Kinda annoying. Hawkeye modern can play but my other 2 leveled up ones aren't included.

Very limited options with this one

EDIT: Now I go back to the first one after doing one of the other missions and the Iron Man 40 is back again.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Chuds McGreedy posted:

Yeah, and one of the later missions has Thor's red and green cover, so I think you could try to stock up on red.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The diminishing returns on repeating fights means you're gonna need to keep fighting ragnarok + daken to place high. Oh, and daken is level 112. :getin:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

You know I was just saying this game didn't have enough Thor and Cstorm. I'm glad they are forcing everyone to use Thor not only in the tournament but also for heroic mode.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I don't know how long it'll take them to figure out this repeating bonuses thing, but until then I'm going to keep killing level 20 Juggernaut for Hero Points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
It's too much work placing in lighting rounds so I'm just grabbing these for later each time one comes along