Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

triplexpac posted:

Can someone explain to me what it is about Chikara that gets people so obsessed and in love with it? I just don't get people who think Chikara is the best thing about pro wrestling.

It was goofy and fun and silly but also had character progression and long-term continuity. Same reasons people are Marvel or DC comics fans, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
They had 3.0 who don't really seem to get high profile bookings elsewhere.

That was my main reason for liking Chikara.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
I don't necessarily think that Chikara was the best thing in wrestling. It had its flaws, but I never failed to be entertained by a show, and by and large, its storylines were good, I thought.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
CHIKARA has interesting characters and is just really fun most of the time. King of Trios is always really good shows. And a lot of their shows are local to me, so I consider it somewhat of a home promotion which makes it easy to follow.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Jay 2K Winger posted:

I don't necessarily think that Chikara was the best thing in wrestling. It had its flaws, but I never failed to be entertained by a show, and by and large, its storylines were good, I thought.

Yeah, that type of viewpoint I can get. I'm not saying Chikara was terrible by any means. But when I'm talking to someone who thinks WWE and ROH suck and Chikara is the best, I get confused.

I guess there are fans who just decide to cling to something, no matter what it is or what else is out there.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

Yeah, that type of viewpoint I can get. I'm not saying Chikara was terrible by any means. But when I'm talking to someone who thinks WWE and ROH suck and Chikara is the best, I get confused.

I guess there are fans who just decide to cling to something, no matter what it is or what else is out there.

There are people that will tell you PHISH is the greatest band ever and if you don't like it you're a big dumb idiot who doesn't appreciate music. Some Chikara fans are like the awful PHISH fans of wrestling.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

TNA has fans.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

coconono posted:

There are people that will tell you PHISH is the greatest band ever and if you don't like it you're a big dumb idiot who doesn't appreciate music. Some Chikara fans are like the awful PHISH fans of wrestling.

Yes, but this very argument can be said about fans of anything. They like {X} and it's the greatest {thing} ever, and if you disagree, then you're a loving moron. Doesn't matter if it's wrestling, music, video games, TV shows, whatever.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Yes, but this very argument can be said about fans of anything. They like {X} and it's the greatest {thing} ever, and if you disagree, then you're a loving moron. Doesn't matter if it's wrestling, music, video games, TV shows, whatever.

Yeah but both of those segments get special headscratches from me because they're supposed to be super chill yet completely rabid at the same time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Chikara appeals to those who like weird angles and goofy gimmicks in their wrestling, and was the most notable fed in that particular niche. Same way ROH is big with those who love the athletic side, CZW is for people who really really really like seeing light tubes destroyed, TNA is for fans of late period WCW, etc.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

New Ashes video. Hallowicked has terrible penmanship.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Gavok posted:

New Ashes video. Hallowicked has terrible penmanship.

To be fair, that totally looks like what a wicked Haloween spirit would write like after teaching themselves English.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Gavok posted:

That leaves Cool, Heart, Respect and Fun. Fun might be exempt from this whole angle, since it's a bit more realized and would probably stick around anyway. If not, it would likely be the last to go.

But there is no F in Chikara... There is no effin' Chikara? :tinfoil:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

Umbra Dubium posted:

But there is no F in Chikara... There is no effin' Chikara? :tinfoil:

Jervis Cottonbelly has been heard saying that Fun represents the 'K'. Because bananas have lots of potassium ('K' on the periodic table) in them.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Jervis Cottonbelly has been heard saying that Fun represents the 'K'. Because bananas have lots of potassium ('K' on the periodic table) in them.

What in the gently caress.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Genetic Toaster posted:

What in the gently caress.

Wrestling is Fun's title is a banana.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
There's also the explanation that the ! in Wrestling is Fun! adds the ! to CHIKARA! and the K is for Kaiju Big Battle. So it could be like this:

Cool
Heart
Intense
Kaiju Big Battle
Art
Respect
Awesome
! (Fun!)

Either way, its kinda silly, but that's CHIKARA for you.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I liked F CHIKARA better.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

In other Chikara-related news...

Two years ago today, Eddie Kingston won the Grand Championship of Chikara. He still holds the belt. In that time, he has defended the title 14 times, but has not defended the title since June.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Two years ago today, Eddie Kingston won the Grand Championship of Chikara. He still holds the belt. In that time, he has defended the title 14 times, but has not defended the title since June.

Chikara doesn't exist anymore and his reign shouldn't count either.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Clearly the 30 day rule is in effect and it's held by the mightiest champion of all time, Abeyance.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Clearly the 30 day rule is in effect and it's held by the mightiest champion of all time, Abeyance.

His name is VACANT, thankyouverymuch.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Another thrilling hardcore title match!

Chuck Taylor is the best.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Can a wrestling org with access to time machines and portals be bound by a 30 day rule? Chikara Deep Thoughts.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Clearly a screwjob. Chuck asked "Can I NOT NOT have the title", which equals "Can I HAVE the title?". Colt replied with "No", so technically he should still be the champion.

I bet in the next episode the ref shows up in a ChuckieT shirt.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DM Punk posted:

There's also the explanation that the ! in Wrestling is Fun! adds the ! to CHIKARA! and the K is for Kaiju Big Battle. So it could be like this:

Cool
Heart
Intense
Kaiju Big Battle
Art
Respect
Awesome
! (Fun!)

Either way, its kinda silly, but that's CHIKARA for you.

That's not it, though. It's not KBB. It's the banana thing.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

That's not it, though. It's not KBB. It's the banana thing.

Possibly. To be fair, they've never had an official explanation about it so its whatever you want it to be.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

New Ashes up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbZLWl5yV6E

Halloween spirits, new rookies, and a suitcase full of trashbag pants.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
PRIVATE EYE CAMEO :woop:

Aaah, remember when Chikara was fun?

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

According to PWI:
"In the latest from the ongoing CHIKARA storyline, we have learned that the afternoon of 11/30, there will be a CHIKARA fan scavenger hunt kicking off at FDR Park in Philadelphia, PA.

The hunt, described to me as “city-wide” will kick off at 12 Noon and will be an interactive event inviting fans to help “decide the future” of the promotion going forward, depending on their success.

CHIKARA has not run an event since their last iPPV, which saw their “parent company” suddenly shut down the show and throw everyone out of the venue. Since then, there have been a series of viral campaigns via Youtube videos and Twitter accounts pushing to bring the company back from the brink of oblivion, including a “guerrilla show” that ended with the security team of the parent company kidnapping a “fan” that was leading the cause for the return.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

dsriggs posted:

PRIVATE EYE CAMEO :woop:

Aaah, remember when Chikara was fun?

Apparently, that's supposed to be Private Eye Jr., a new person in the same mask, and who has been posting photos and such related to the current ARG-ish metaplot... thing.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

SirDippingSauce posted:

The hunt, described to me as “city-wide” will kick off at 12 Noon and will be an interactive event inviting fans to help “decide the future” of the promotion going forward, depending on their success.

Well if Mysterium P is anything to go by this will be a rousing success.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SirDippingSauce posted:

According to PWI:
"In the latest from the ongoing CHIKARA storyline, we have learned that the afternoon of 11/30, there will be a CHIKARA fan scavenger hunt kicking off at FDR Park in Philadelphia, PA.

CHIKARA has not run an event since their last iPPV, which saw their “parent company” suddenly shut down the show and throw everyone out of the venue. Since then, there have been a series of viral campaigns via Youtube videos and Twitter accounts pushing to bring the company back from the brink of oblivion, including a “guerrilla show” that ended with the security team of the parent company kidnapping a “fan” that was leading the cause for the return.

Some CHIKARA fan is going to get shanked digging through dumpsters in Philly.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

SirDippingSauce posted:

According to PWI:

Everyone decide the future of the company as dead and don't show up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bard Maddox posted:

Everyone decide the future of the company as dead and don't show up.

Hulkamatt asked if I want to go to Philly and try to find stuff to ensure CHIKARA is never reborn. Hopefully someone does that.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

MassRafTer posted:

Hulkamatt asked if I want to go to Philly and try to find stuff to ensure CHIKARA is never reborn. Hopefully someone does that.

It's like the plot of Terminator but wrestling! On the downside, Quack would probably work it into the time travel storyline.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Quack will dress up like a hobo on the corner of Swanson & Ritner Street. If you say the correct phrase, he will give you a coded message that when decrypted will read "Sign up at the WrestleFactory!"

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone should start a fake CHIKARA meet-up on Twitter - like "We Are CHIKARA: room 121 at the Old Oak Inn!" and every dork that shows up gets their picture taken as they enter the hotel room

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

DM Punk posted:

Quack will dress up like a hobo on the corner of Swanson & Ritner Street. If you say the correct phrase, he will give you a coded message that when decrypted will read "Sign up at the WrestleFactory!"

The coded message will require 13 people working together to combine fragments of it, each with a different cypher. When people get bored of trying to solve it around the fourth fragment and stop, Quack will then have a temper tantrum and get Vink to announce 18 months later on twitter that the code is the most important part of the arg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
This is all a ruse to get more victims for that Knockout game.

• Locked thread