Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ronya posted:

eh I dunno, offing the good father figure is like offing the dog in a YA novel. The fact that he's there means that he's going down, to illustrate the end of naïveté.

maybe it's Scoundrél's story of resolving his own ancient subplots by defeating an old enemy and foisting a trusted subordinate in his place.

But what Naivete does Elan have to lose? He's not the protagonist here, and he kind of already learned that his family sucks and is hopeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hope Rich is okay.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Angela Christine posted:

I hope Rich is okay.

If you say it too soon, he'll bust his thumb again.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

rocketrobot posted:

If you say it too soon, he'll bust his thumb again.

And we already blew the goblins card early.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The little rituals in here about rich posting remind me of my d&d players. "Argh, don't roll on your character sheet! It'll come up a 1." They don't really mean it, but confirmation bias is powerful.

We're like that. Pigeons in a randomized skinner box, craning our necks and posting goblins, hoping for that food pellet.

SexyBrianPuppet
Oct 5, 2010

remember, you are talking to the pranking MASTER.
I can't think of any fate more fitting for Tarquin than being slain by an already legendary hero whose entire life was basically a series of incredible stories. He doesn't get to be the main villain of a great dramatic tale of father versus son, or even the main villain of the unnecessary Elan-focused sequel. Tarquin's defeat won't go down in history as the resolution to the greatest story ever told, but as the end to yet another thrilling adventure in the life of Julio Scoundrél. What could be more infuriating to Tarquin than his legacy being remembered as "The time Julio Scoundrél fought that Terguin guy in the Western Continent?"

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Hey everyone arguing over whether this is a deus ex machina or not.

1. Read Carrasco's post, just in case you forgot/missed this fact. (Carrasco clearly knows his Greek theater.)

Carrasco posted:

I always wondered why the airship was called Mechane.

2. Read this Wikipedia blurb:

wikipedia posted:

A mechane or machine was a crane used in Greek theatre, especially in the 5th and 4th centuries BC. Made of wooden beams and pulley systems, the device was used to lift an actor into the air, usually representing flight. This stage machine was particularly used to bring gods onto the stage from above, hence the Latin term deus ex machina ("god out of the machine")

I can see the argument that "poking fun at a weak literary device doesn't absolve its use," but this would have been foreshadowed really well had OoTS not been a piece of episodic fiction. Unfortunately, it was involving a character who last showed up 7 years ago, so the rules are a little different than they would be if this weren't a serial.

That said, there's a whole crapload of good metafiction going on in this if you read closely. I'm pretty impressed.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 15, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

I can't think of any fate more fitting for Tarquin than being slain by an already legendary hero whose entire life was basically a series of incredible stories. He doesn't get to be the main villain of a great dramatic tale of father versus son, or even the main villain of the unnecessary Elan-focused sequel. Tarquin's defeat won't go down in history as the resolution to the greatest story ever told, but as the end to yet another thrilling adventure in the life of Julio Scoundrél. What could be more infuriating to Tarquin than his legacy being remembered as "The time Julio Scoundrél fought that Terguin guy in the Western Continent?"

Doomed to be a filler villain in the annuls of history

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Ugh. I think I reached a breaking point on the Deus Ex Machina discussion. Does it actually matter if it is or isn't? If it is, is this a bad twist because of it? I mean, it was fun, it was surprising, and it happening doesn't tell us plot resolution will immediately happen in a specific way. Who actually cares?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But what Naivete does Elan have to lose? He's not the protagonist here, and he kind of already learned that his family sucks and is hopeless.

Bugger if I know, but that's the gist of a coming-of-age story.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ikanreed posted:

Ugh. I think I reached a breaking point on the Deus Ex Machina discussion. Does it actually matter if it is or isn't? If it is, is this a bad twist because of it? I mean, it was fun, it was surprising, and it happening doesn't tell us plot resolution will immediately happen in a specific way. Who actually cares?
The quality of a story is a direct function of the predefined categories into which you can slot its elements.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Hey, we have to know if we can add OoTS to the deus ex machina TVTropes page, man. These are important things.

(I was mostly saying that Rich clearly knows it plays as deus ex machina and doesn't give a gently caress.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ikanreed posted:

It's a vector for complaining about how slow he's updating, like everything else.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Guys I think we are all missing the important part here:

There is going to be a pun duel to end all pun duels. One pungeon master against another. I think Rich will top himself with the dialogue.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Speedball posted:

There is going to be a pun duel to end all pun duels. One pungeon master against another. I think Rich will top himself with the dialogue.
Oh, man, I'm excited again. :dance:

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I like how Tarquin hear's the propellers and is all 'not now!' Clearly he recognizes Julio as well.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ikanreed posted:

I think you pretty much nailed it - it's a textbook case of the worst argument in the world.

the JJ posted:

I like how Tarquin hear's the propellers and is all 'not now!' Clearly he recognizes Julio as well.

I just re-read Julio's previous appearances, and does anyone else hear an echo of Tarquin's own philosophy in that last kernel of wisdom?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Has Elan changed rapiers since he got Julio's weapon way back before Azure City? Because I can't think of anyone but Tarquin who would make a good Devil-King of Dinosaur Island. Of course all that's based on is him having a Dino army but, you know.. Julio's old weapon fighting an old for and all that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh I just realised. Convenient big shadow blocking out the sun.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I don't think Julio is in any danger here. This isn't "Good mentor self sacrifice", it is meant to hint at that narrative arc. Every single time OOTS has been on the backstep with Tarquin, they have been following his narrative requirements. They get the better of him when they break his narrative arc; what better way to defeat him by breaking such and old and common trope.

Honestly I kind of wish that Tarquin helped out OOTS, then he can do the last minute change of heart up against Xykon, get mortally wounded and die in Elan's arms. That would satisfy his pathological need for a narrative as well.

If he survives this, I predict that is how he dies in the climax by the way.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Alchenar posted:

Oh I just realised. Convenient big shadow blocking out the sun.
Also, the title gimmick was interrupted "Go" "Through" then "Overshadowed"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

SexyBrianPuppet posted:

l. What could be more infuriating to Tarquin than his legacy being remembered as "The time Julio Scoundrél fought that Terguin guy in the Western Continent?"

Not being remembered at all.

From the viewpoint of pretty much the entire Army, Tarquin and his adventuring buddies teleported off into the desert chasing a stolen T-Rex.

If the Order had managed to take them down, and then left, The result would be that nobody would know how, or if, Tarquin died, and his empire would reorganize, or fall apart, or both. Given the huge losses the army took on this crazy scheme, probably the latter.

If Tarquin is scheduled to take down Scoundrel here,I'd guess the resolution would be that he's forced to make his way back to civilization on his own, only to find that his empire has crumbled while he was gone, and to die in obscurity in a mugging or something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ian is still running around the desert somewhere. With some sort of plan. If Julio gets brought back to help wrap up this arc then I don't see why more family shouldn't come.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Spiderdrake posted:

Also, the title gimmick was interrupted "Go" "Through" then "Overshadowed"

Ehh... I think that was just in reference to Tarquin running Elan through with Roy's sword to get to Roy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Regalingualius posted:

Ehh... I think that was just in reference to Tarquin running Elan through with Roy's sword to get to Roy.
Heh, I choose to believe Rich knows people follow the titles, got excited thinking he was referring to something about the gate and then tweaked their noses with Julio showing up.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Regalingualius posted:

Or perhaps Julio overshadowed the comic title gimmick with his arrival. Eh? Eeeehhhhh?!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I was referring more to how Durkon's going to be relevant again. (all that other stuff is obvious)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Ian is still running around the desert somewhere. With some sort of plan. If Julio gets brought back to help wrap up this arc then I don't see why more family shouldn't come.
"So when the guards talk about the Fatherland, they mean literally?" was one of the best lines in OotS' history and so far it's coming true in spades.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

maltesh posted:

Not being remembered at all.

From the viewpoint of pretty much the entire Army, Tarquin and his adventuring buddies teleported off into the desert chasing a stolen T-Rex.

If the Order had managed to take them down, and then left, The result would be that nobody would know how, or if, Tarquin died, and his empire would reorganize, or fall apart, or both. Given the huge losses the army took on this crazy scheme, probably the latter.

If Tarquin is scheduled to take down Scoundrel here,I'd guess the resolution would be that he's forced to make his way back to civilization on his own, only to find that his empire has crumbled while he was gone, and to die in obscurity in a mugging or something.

Actually, on this topic, this would otherwise be Tarquin's original plan, ruling for however long until some hero (Julio, it turns out) finally beat him. It wasn't until Elan arrived that he got hung up on the stuff that's basically been destroying his whole plan here.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Roland Jones posted:

Actually, on this topic, this would otherwise be Tarquin's original plan, ruling for however long until some hero (Julio, it turns out) finally beat him. It wasn't until Elan arrived that he got hung up on the stuff that's basically been destroying his whole plan here.

Sort of, but he needs to die in a way that he actually gets remembered as the power behind the throne. If he doesn't, he's just a general of an empire who got killed in the desert by a hero.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It would be hilarious if Julio accidentally hopped on a normal carpet and just craters into the ground like Roy once upon a time. I doubt that's the direction the story would go in but I love a good botched dramatic entrance.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

greatn posted:

It would be hilarious if Julio accidentally hopped on a normal carpet and just craters into the ground like Roy once upon a time. I doubt that's the direction the story would go in but I love a good botched dramatic entrance.

He craters onto Tarquin who dies from Julio's sword stabbing into him and then being crushed by Juluo.

He doesn't just die in the middle of no where without a way to ensure his legacy, he dies in the middle of no where because a guy got the wrong carpet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Other ideas: to combat the use of narrative, Elan and Julio use terrible short form improv.

Tarquin: This is not how it final confrontation will progress!
Elan: Yes and, I am stabbing you.
Tarquin: what? I am a general.
Elan: Yes and, I'm just a lowly bard, from the rooooooaring twenties!
Tarquin: Shut up!
Julio: Yes and, he's using Perform [Charleston]!
Tarquin: Stop saying yes and!
Elan: It's like the first rule of improv dad!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

PFlats posted:

Hey everyone arguing over whether this is a deus ex machina or not.

The Mechane was a DEM in its first appearance too, giving Elan a handy way to get back to the party and pick up some useful abilities in the meantime. That makes it all the better, really, nobody expects a DEM to reappear :allears:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
As a regular DM I kind of like this deus ex machina because it's a situation you occasionally have. Your players run into a hairy situation, maybe due to their stupidity but maybe also out of sheer bad luck and then you have a choice. Either go through a boring travel & resurrect play session the third time this year, have half the party be forced to throw away their organically grown characters and restart with complete unknowns, or you just pull out a DEM and fudge the result. Often the last one is the correct choice.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Is Rich.... ok?

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

VanSandman posted:

Is Rich.... ok?

Wow, the level of impatience here is growing palpable.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's his own fault. Every page has been a cliffhanger. Driving us all nuts.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

:siren:New Page:siren:

Durkula kicking rear end was probably the biggest surprise, I thought it would be all Julio vs Tarquin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

VanSandman posted:

Is Rich.... ok?

What the gently caress