Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've been using Mega Pinsir on Showdown, and holy poo poo, I've never used a more reliable sweeper. Seriously, if this thing gets one Swords Dance down, it's all over. I had a match where I went from 2-6 to 2-0 because Mega Pinsir was able to set up on a Quagsire who failed to burn with Scald twice in a row. It even OHKO'd a Scarf Genesect with Quick Attack. With 125 base defense it will comfortably live through every priority move that isn't Talonflame's Brave Bird. This thing is truly terrifying, and I don't want to be around when everyone realizes how good it really is and starts running Skarmory and Rotom on every team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
^^^^
I have literally the same experience with Mega Charizard X. One Dragon Dance and it's all over.
"I know the guy who'll carry you" *forfeit*
You mean Blissey, Ferrothorn, or Crobat aren't doing anything at all?

Emong posted:

Maybe he thought the attack drop would let him live? I'm not sure what he was expecting to do from there, though.

That's what baffles me, too! It's not like he could do anything even if he hung on with a few HP left.

Okay so when I sent out Ferrothorn and set up rocks, do you just forfeit because Manectric won't survive?

Ah well. Showdown is still fun even when I lose :allears:

Well. Usually. When my opponent sits around buffing/debuffing/healing when I have one pokemon left and he can easily oneshot it, that's when I stop having fun. Don't be a lovely winner. You know drat well that Aegislash' Sacred Sword will finish Blissey.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Caught a shiny!

It's a Birabel.

:suicide:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Classtoise posted:

That's what baffles me, too! It's not like he could do anything even if he hung on with a few HP left.

Manectric gets flamethrower and overheat though?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Caught a shiny!

It's a Birabel.

Hey, don't kill yourself guy, give it to me!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Caught a shiny!

It's a Birabel.

Could be worse. Could be a Rhyhorn.

:downs: you didn't see that

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Ruggington posted:

Manectric gets flamethrower and overheat though?

Well poo poo, I dodged that bullet then!

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Classtoise posted:

He was expecting to be faster. Your Excadrill shouldn't have outsped unless it's scarfed, and I sure as gently caress wouldn't bank on an Excadrill being scarfed.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Since people are suggesting you should have a bulky steel type for the Battle Maison, how well would a team based around a Metagross work?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm trying to get a lagging tail for my tricky sableeye. Is it possible to do horde battles with frisk or do you need to do 1-on-1 encounters?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Vahtooch posted:

Since people are suggesting you should have a bulky steel type for the Battle Maison, how well would a team based around a Metagross work?

Not very. Enjoy your crippling weakness to Sucker Punch.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Steel type with good resistances? Sounds like a job for Mawile!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Caught a shiny!

It's a Birabel.

Poor you, you caught a shiny! Y'know, some of us still haven't seen a single goddamn wild shiny aside from Red Gyarados. :argh:

Anyway, hey, now you've got a stylin' HM slave!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

LAY-ZX posted:

He was expecting to be faster. Your Excadrill shouldn't have outsped unless it's scarfed, and I sure as gently caress wouldn't bank on an Excadrill being scarfed.

A Modest Manectric on poor speed IVs can be outsped by a Jolly Excadrill with max Speed IV's and EV's assuming Sand Rush isn't active and the latter isn't scarfed.

M-Manectric's speed won't kick in the same turn it Mega Evolves either (same with everything else). Strictly speaking, for Gyro Ball and Electro Ball calculations its new speed will be accounted for, but for turn order calculations the speed won't have been factored in because Turn Order is calculated before any inputs are taken for the turn, including Mega Evolution.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Zoness posted:

M-Manectric's speed won't kick in the exact turn it Mega Evolves either (same with everything else).

Oh, I forgot about that.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Dropping pokepuffs is the best thing in pokemon amie. Their faces

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Pollyanna posted:

Steel type with good resistances? Sounds like a job for Mawile!

That could be cool. Are there any guides floating around for what you want in a good team for the Maison/online?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

DizzyBum posted:

Poor you, you caught a shiny! Y'know, some of us still haven't seen a single goddamn wild shiny aside from Red Gyarados. :argh:

Anyway, hey, now you've got a stylin' HM slave!

I'd rather have no shiny than a poo poo shiny. :colbert:

It's not my first, though. My first was a Snorunt in Pearl. A female, so I can turn it into Frosslass with an identical color scheme to the non-shiny version. :mad:

Voltin Bolt
Oct 17, 2004

IT DOES NOT FIX
Just caught a shiny Ariados :swoon: It's in my top three favorites and I've been trying to breed for one since at least HG with no luck. Pop into friend safari for like five minutes, bam. Man, if I catch one more shiny in Y, I'll have enough for a full team.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!

Scary dragons

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Zoness posted:

A Modest Manectric on poor speed IVs can be outsped by a Jolly Excadrill with max Speed IV's and EV's assuming Sand Rush isn't active and the latter isn't scarfed.

M-Manectric's speed won't kick in the same turn it Mega Evolves either (same with everything else). Strictly speaking, for Gyro Ball and Electro Ball calculations its new speed will be accounted for, but for turn order calculations the speed won't have been factored in because Turn Order is calculated before any inputs are taken for the turn, including Mega Evolution.

This was on Showdown, though, so even Modest Manectric will outspeed all non-Scarfed Excadrill outside of sand and OHKO with Overheat. They probably just weren't expecting a Scarf.

Constable Lemon posted:

I've been using Mega Pinsir on Showdown, and holy poo poo, I've never used a more reliable sweeper. Seriously, if this thing gets one Swords Dance down, it's all over. I had a match where I went from 2-6 to 2-0 because Mega Pinsir was able to set up on a Quagsire who failed to burn with Scald twice in a row. It even OHKO'd a Scarf Genesect with Quick Attack. With 125 base defense it will comfortably live through every priority move that isn't Talonflame's Brave Bird. This thing is truly terrifying, and I don't want to be around when everyone realizes how good it really is and starts running Skarmory and Rotom on every team.

Oh don't worry, everyone above 2000 or so is already running physically defensive Rotom-W on every team just to deal with all the Talonflame, Tyranitar, Physical Aegislash and Sand Rush Excadrill out there right now. Rotom-W is probably the best defensive pokemon in the current metagame.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Hot drat, I actually got a Yveltal for my shiny Gastrodon. :bubblewoop:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Constable Lemon posted:

Mega Pinsir is awesome and bless you for being creative. At least he has an exploitable 4x weakness to go with his monstrous power, unlike Kangaskhan who won't go down until he's wrecked half my team. I only have the one fighter in Breloom, but I inevitably try to Mach Punch and get Faked Out/Sucker Punched, or I Spore for caution and get double Returned first. That Return, I swear. But alas, I am stubborn and refuse to rebuild to counter one Pokemon so I just kind of accept that I need to out-predict or lose when I see a Kangashkan.

EDIT:

WrightOfWay posted:

Oh don't worry, everyone above 2000 or so is already running physically defensive Rotom-W on every team just to deal with all the Talonflame, Tyranitar, Physical Aegislash and Sand Rush Excadrill out there right now. Rotom-W is probably the best defensive pokemon in the current metagame.
Rotom-W's a jerk too. :saddowns: But every single one takes a Bullet Seed to the face and dies so they're not half as annoying unless Breloom dies first.

EDIT2: On the Scarf/Speed talk, Showdown just has some issues sometimes. I've seen an opponent's Quick Claw activate only for me to still go first and kill them. Not fair at all, but I wasn't complaining.

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 15, 2013

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

This was on Showdown, though, so even Modest Manectric will outspeed all non-Scarfed Excadrill outside of sand and OHKO with Overheat. They probably just weren't expecting a Scarf.

It wasn't Scarfed, though! I have literally no idea how he didn't outspeed me.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why is it that like everyone on GTS is asking for a Xerneas in exchange for their trash pokes but nobody seems to want to trade mine for their Yveltal? :(

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Is there any functional difference between a pokemon with a primary type and a pokemon with that type as a secondary type? As in, Garchomp is Dragon/Ground, and Flygon is Ground/Dragon. Does it ever matter?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

myron cope posted:

Is there any functional difference between a pokemon with a primary type and a pokemon with that type as a secondary type? As in, Garchomp is Dragon/Ground, and Flygon is Ground/Dragon. Does it ever matter?

As far as the game is concerned, it's exactly the same.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

myron cope posted:

It makes their Hall of Fame background different.

Edit: In Gen 5.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

drat. Horde training is kind of crazy fast once you've got all the items in order. Can you have multiples of the Power items?

Can't believe I spent so much time in ST :(

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

drat. Horde training is kind of crazy fast once you've got all the items in order. Can you have multiples of the Power items?

Can't believe I spent so much time in ST :(

Ya you can, just gotta farm for them.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Mega Pinsir is awesome and bless you for being creative. At least he has an exploitable 4x weakness to go with his monstrous power, unlike Kangaskhan who won't go down until he's wrecked half my team. I only have the one fighter in Breloom, but I inevitably try to Mach Punch and get Faked Out/Sucker Punched, or I Spore for caution and get double Returned first. That Return, I swear. But alas, I am stubborn and refuse to rebuild to counter one Pokemon so I just kind of accept that I need to out-predict or lose when I see a Kangashkan.

EDIT:

Rotom-W's a jerk too. :saddowns: But every single one takes a Bullet Seed to the face and dies so they're not half as annoying unless Breloom dies first.

EDIT2: On the Scarf/Speed talk, Showdown just has some issues sometimes. I've seen an opponent's Quick Claw activate only for me to still go first and kill them. Not fair at all, but I wasn't complaining.

The team I've been running with seems to deal with most of the common Pokemon I see pretty well.

Mega Pinsir
Adamant, 252/252
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Quick Attack
Return

Adamant helps it kill things with Quick Attack and Return that it might have trouble with on Jolly, and it usually outspeeds everything it needs to use Return on anyway. Aegislash can't do a single thing to him, because Earthquake doesn't activate King's Sheild's attack drop, so I have no troubles with them.

Steelix
Relaxed 252/who cares
Stealth Rock
Roar
Earthquake
Gyro Ball

Stealth Rock and Roar, pretty basic. I used Steelix just because I made this team for Pre-Bank OU but he's doing pretty well in post-bank. Sturdy is extremely useful to help me force out a sweeper or set up rocks, and he can tank Talonflame well enough to set up rocks and then Roar him out.

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Timid 252/252
Trick
Volt Switch
Thunderbolt
Overheat

It seems like everyone has forgotten the potency of Trick-scarf. I lead with this guy, and he successfully cripples a Pokemon with Trick 90% of the time. Plus, if I get something locked into EQ, it makes it really easy to set up Pinsir.

Gengar
Timid 252/252
Substitute
Disable
Shadow Ball
Dazzling Gleam

Sub/Disable works just as well now as it did back in 5th gen. This guy is almost a hard counter to Mega Khangaskhan, and especially is if she's using Sucker Punch. I use Dazzling Gleam because I'm sick of Focus Blast missing, and it hits Super Effective on Dragon types.

Tentacruel
Bold i forget the evs
Rapid Spin
Sludge Bomb
Scald
Toxic

Tentacruel is a great spinner, and is a really good counter (I would go as far as saying he's a "hard counter") to Azumarill, and can bulk a Talonflame alright. Other than that he's kind of meh.

Scrafty
Careful 252 hp 252 sp def
:snoop: Shed Skin :snoop:
Bulk Up
Rest
Crunch
Drain Punch

This beautiful creature is what wins me at least half of my games. I can't tell you the number of times people switched in a Gliscor or Rotom, expecting to wall and stall with status, only to find themselves with a Bulk'd Up beast who is essentially immune to status. As long as they don't have any fairy types (which, thanks to team preview, I can find out right away), they pretty much can't power through this set once it's set up.

The only Pokemon I see a lot who I have trouble with sometimes is Klefki, but usually the end up with a Choice Scarf on them, unless they are a Substitute variant. Talonflame can be tough too if I don't manage to get Stealth Rock up.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Constable Lemon posted:

The team I've been running with seems to deal with most of the common Pokemon I see pretty well.
See, one day I'll realize I need to start playing smarter. 6 straight sweepers will only win as long as I can brute force my way through teams, as soon as someone realizes how weak I am to statuses (gently caress Will o Wisp) or exploits their ability to set up, I'm as good as swept 6-0. Here's my team. As you might quickly notice, my reliance on Life Orbs + Opponents setting up Webs/Stealth Rocks means I'm often dead. I've only recently started running Rocks myself, but I can rarely get them out safely.

GokaiBlue (Greninja) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Grass Knot
- Hydro Pump

KyoryuRed (Breloom) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Spore

Funkfreed (Mamoswine) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge

Gabutyra (Tyrantrum) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature
- Ice Fang
- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang
- Crunch

The Lady (Ampharos) (F) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jetplane (Togekiss) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Dazzling Gleam
- Flamethrower

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

See, one day I'll realize I need to start playing smarter. 6 straight sweepers will only win as long as I can brute force my way through teams, as soon as someone realizes how weak I am to statuses (gently caress Will o Wisp) or exploits their ability to set up, I'm as good as swept 6-0. Here's my team. As you might quickly notice, my reliance on Life Orbs + Opponents setting up Webs/Stealth Rocks means I'm often dead. I've only recently started running Rocks myself, but I can rarely get them out safely.

Both status and entry hazards can be dealt with if you just change up your Togekiss, actually.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Heal Bell
- Wish

Not a perfect solution, but this just might help you come back from the brink. Just gotta watch out for Taunt users.

e: Also, for a bit of fun, if you find you're not using one of Ampharos' attacks much, replace it with Cotton Guard and watch him become an unbreakable tank.

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 15, 2013

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Gabutyra (Tyrantrum) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Strong Jaw
Adamant Nature
- Ice Fang
- Thunder Fang
- Fire Fang
- Crunch

When you decide on which moves to give to your pokemon, you should consider using moves that are of the same type as that pokemon. 3 fangs is a bit redundant in terms of coverage.

Forgot that guy got strong jaw.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

LAY-ZX posted:

Both status and entry hazards can be dealt with if you just change up your Togekiss, actually.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Defog
- Heal Bell
- Wish

Not a perfect solution, but this just might help you come back from the brink. Just gotta watch out for Taunt users.

e: Also, for a bit of fun, if you find you're not using one of Ampharos' attacks much, replace it with Cotton Guard and watch him become an unbreakable tank.

I actually saw that advice earlier in the thread and ran it for a while. It was awesome for a few games, it took a Breloom's Focus Punch and only took 25% from it, but I just don't have the game sense to know when to use it yet. Usually I use it wrong and end up wasting the turn and dying the next one.

As for Togekiss, I may give it a shot, but my current Togekiss does such a good job of dropping Dragons with Dazzle and plants with Air Slash. :( Plus, it exists almost entirely to Flamethrower and take down Ferroseeds and Forretresses before they can start setting up, and any Scizors that it can survive a Bullet Punch from. (Those 3 are the same reason I have HP Fire on Amphy.) That and Entry Hazards are only effective sometimes, I managed to win 3-0 against someone just now after they set up Stealth Rock and three layers of Spikes. I may drop Aura Sphere for Defog though, just in case, I only added that as another desperate attempt at hurting a Kangaskhan, which I never do because they always outspeed anyway.

EDIT: Yeah, Strong Jaw makes that set do work. Sometimes I miss stab, but I like having a tool for almost every Pokemon type better. (Goddamn Faeries.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So my friend's game seems to be glitched. Every time she goes to access one of her boxes the game says it needs to be restarted and that there was an error. What can she do to fix the issue?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

myron cope posted:

The type order only really matters as the Pokémon's design. The primary type is the central influence in the Pokemon's design. Flygon is a Ground type Pokemon as it's an antlion, an animal that spends the vast majority of its life living in holes it dug. Antlions also possess some mystical characteristics in myth and legend, as such it is also a Dragon type as a secondary aspect of it.

Garchomp, on the other hand, is a Dragon first and foremost, as such it is primarily a Dragon type. It's a Ground type because it's a freaking land shark.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

Antlions also possess some mystical characteristics in myth and legend, as such it is also a Dragon type as a secondary aspect of it.

Actually, I think it's because adult antlions are sometimes called "sand dragons", which in turn is because of their similarity to DRAGONflies. :eng101:

Naturally, this also means Mega Yanmega will be Bug/Dragon.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Does Togepo come from an egg or is Togepi the egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

noirstronaut posted:

Does Togepo come from an egg or is Togepi the egg

I think Togepi is just supposed to br the egg.

It was created to advertise the new breeding and baby Pokemon to the player, after all.

• Locked thread