Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sieg posted:

Oakley uses single layer lenses, and say they polarize at the molecular level. I have no idea how that works. So no, it can't scratch off if they are genuine Oakleys.

I have a hard time believing $90 polarized Oakleys exist, unless you are getting them through Oakley SI.

I bought them at a Marine Corps Exchange two or three years ago, so I don't remember if they were indeed polarized. I guess that's what I get, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

hooah posted:

I bought them at a Marine Corps Exchange two or three years ago, so I don't remember if they were indeed polarized. I guess that's what I get, oh well.

If they are genuine Oakleys, they will say "Polarized" in the lower corner of the lens.

Are you still in the Marine Corp even as reserve?

If so, get some real polarized Oakleys cheap: https://www.oakleysi.com/Page.cfm?id=1

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hooah posted:

The polarized oakleys are a bit more expensive than not. I bought a couple of lenses recently: $80-something for non and $170 or so for polarized. But the instructions I got for treatment suggests that the polarization they use is susceptible to wearing off if not taken care of.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Moving away from sunglasses, is there something that will let me plug in a start and destination, then find a point some amount of time from the beginning? For example, if I wanted to drive from Chicago to LA and stop overnight after 8 hours of driving, I'd want to know about where I could expect to stop.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Is the price turning you away from cowboy boots? I bet thrift stores have some.

Price isn't really an issue but I'd like to invest on something I can at least wear more than a few times, which you can't do with a cowboy boot. I'm not even sure I can pull off cowboy boots to begin with, costume party or not.

The guys from Hell On Wheels and Deadwood don't seem to be wearing boots... or are the cuffs of their trousers just covering the entire upper half?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

Moving away from sunglasses, is there something that will let me plug in a start and destination, then find a point some amount of time from the beginning? For example, if I wanted to drive from Chicago to LA and stop overnight after 8 hours of driving, I'd want to know about where I could expect to stop.

You can do it manually on Google Maps by finding directions Chicago-LA, then adding a middle destination, and dragging the middle destination about until it shows ~8 hours for the first leg.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Install Windows posted:

You can do it manually on Google Maps by finding directions Chicago-LA, then adding a middle destination, and dragging the middle destination about until it shows ~8 hours for the first leg.

How do you add a middle destination? It's only letting me drag the route around.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

While sleeping, I breathe through my nose.

Today, I had a sinus/nasal operation done that has me needing to breathe out of my mouth perpetually for the next few days, as my nose is all blocked full of blood & tissue.

So-- my issue is that when I've tried to fall asleep, I nearly immediately wake up as my body reverts to breathing through my obstructed nose, and failing. Is there any way to 'force' my body into breathing via my mouth as opposed to my nose, once asleep? Or any kinds of tricks/techniques?

There's lots of info online about going the other way, starting as a mouthbreather and transitioning to nose, but not so much here.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Disharmony posted:

Price isn't really an issue but I'd like to invest on something I can at least wear more than a few times, which you can't do with a cowboy boot. I'm not even sure I can pull off cowboy boots to begin with, costume party or not.

The guys from Hell On Wheels and Deadwood don't seem to be wearing boots... or are the cuffs of their trousers just covering the entire upper half?

I think cowboy boots look quite nice under jeans or any pants, really. I'm a girl but my cowboy boots are my main dress-up shoe when I'm wearing long pants. The square-toed cowboy boots look really nice and you can't tell they're cowboy boots unless you hike your pants up. You can get all sorts of styles with different stitching, etc. I see a lot of hipster girls and "urban cowboy" types wearing their jeans tucked into their boots. That looks stupid and isn't really how they're supposed to be worn, it's just a fashion thing.

You know you can get boot-cut jeans that are slightly flared at the bottom? It's because jeans go over boots. Boots don't go over jeans.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

How do you add a middle destination? It's only letting me drag the route around.

When you drag the route, you can right click the resulting white dot and "add a destination".

Incidentally, the hotels in Seward, Nebraska, north from exit 379 on I-80, are where you'd want to go for 8 hours drive out of the center of Chicago to stay the night. It happens to be about 7:55 out of Chicago and the next town over with hotels would on an additional half an hour.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Install Windows posted:

When you drag the route, you can right click the resulting white dot and "add a destination".

Incidentally, the hotels in Seward, Nebraska, north from exit 379 on I-80, are where you'd want to go for 8 hours drive out of the center of Chicago to stay the night. It happens to be about 7:55 out of Chicago and the next town over with hotels would on an additional half an hour.

Right-clicking doesn't do anything for me. Windows 7, using Chrome. (Also, Chicago to LA was hypothetical.)

Edit: Ok, if I click the + icon below my destination, I can click on the map to add a new one, then drag it above my final destination, and then view the step-by-step directions to get the time from start to a given point. It still seems like there should be an easier way (not even necessarily using Google Maps).

hooah fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 15, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Maybe it's because I live in OK but there are plenty of non-cowboy non-hipster people with cowboy boots. I would but I just don't like the way they feel with the pointed toe (haven't tried since I was in like elementary school but I hated it back then) My electrical hazard rated full height wolverine wellingtons are the most comfortable things on earth.

When people visit work from our India office a few have bought cowboy boots 1st thing.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 15, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

hooah posted:

Right-clicking doesn't do anything for me. Windows 7, using Chrome. (Also, Chicago to LA was hypothetical.)

Edit: Ok, if I click the + icon below my destination, I can click on the map to add a new one, then drag it above my final destination, and then view the step-by-step directions to get the time from start to a given point. It still seems like there should be an easier way (not even necessarily using Google Maps).

Are you sure you're creating the white dot and then clicking it? You can't click it while you're dragging the route.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

hooah posted:

They are Oakley SI series then. I don't think any of them aren't polarized.

Sieg posted:

If they are genuine Oakleys, they will say "Polarized" in the lower corner of the lens.

That's simply not the case. While some of them definitely say that, none of the semi-frame Oakleys that I've ever seen have any sort of writing on the lenses. I've got an older semi-framed SI ballistic pair, and the sunglass lenses are polarized (and say nothing) but the persimmon (awesome for low light in the brush), yellow, and clear lenses are not.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
I'm fond of a remix of the song "Paparazzi" that has a rap interlude in the latter part. I have no idea what the remix is called. Can any of you help (or even better, give me a Youtube link)? I have no copies of this song to clarify anything. I went through a couple of dozen obvious Youtube videos without finding it.

Edit: I do remember that it starts off pretty abruptly, and is fairly high tempo. Punchy, not syrupy.

Mariposa fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 15, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Install Windows posted:

Are you sure you're creating the white dot and then clicking it? You can't click it while you're dragging the route.

Looks like you have the older version of Google Maps, which is the problem.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Disharmony posted:

Ankle lace-up boots for the non-riders, as you'll see in the Doc costume sketch here. Low shoes like oxfords or brogues were city wear only in the 1870s and 1880s.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

hooah posted:

Looks like you have the older version of Google Maps, which is the problem.

No, you have the new beta version, which is the problem. On the right side of the new Google Maps under Help and Feedback, click 'Return to classic Google Maps'.

Motronic posted:

They are Oakley SI series then. I don't think any of them aren't polarized.

That's simply not the case. While some of them definitely say that, none of the semi-frame Oakleys that I've ever seen have any sort of writing on the lenses. I've got an older semi-framed SI ballistic pair, and the sunglass lenses are polarized (and say nothing) but the persimmon (awesome for low light in the brush), yellow, and clear lenses are not.

That's simply not the case, you can get plenty of Oakley SIs non-polarized. They have a separate section for the polarized versions.

I've never had any semi-frames, so that's my bad on that. I have a couple of pairs of Oakleys, and they all have it. Its easy enough to tell if they are polarized as someone pointed out earlier. If hooah wants to know if they are real, Oakley customer service can tell him that pretty quickly.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
My landlord put one of those 2000 Flushes things in my toilet the other day and at first it was super blue, but after only about a day or so it's pretty much just clear again. I don't really care except that I want to make sure people who come over remember to close the lid so that our cats don't end up drinking out of the toilet, especially now that there's bleach in it. Anyone know why it isn't turning blue anymore?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
How many times did you flush it?

Foomin
Feb 14, 2005

Was it 2000 times, kasio disco rock. You can tell us

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

hooah posted:

Omaha -- the western edge of Omaha is 7:50 away from Chicago.

If you need any food suggestions for when your stopover, let me know. Godfather's is a local / regional chain that has amazing pizza -- thin crust / black olive / onion is my recommendation. Runza if you want fast food -- you don't have them in Chicago and they're pretty good! Get an original Runza combo, not the cheese runza. And get it with Frings.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 15, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

KasioDiscoRock posted:

My landlord put one of those 2000 Flushes things in my toilet the other day and at first it was super blue, but after only about a day or so it's pretty much just clear again. I don't really care except that I want to make sure people who come over remember to close the lid so that our cats don't end up drinking out of the toilet, especially now that there's bleach in it. Anyone know why it isn't turning blue anymore?

It doesn't turn the water blue instantly if it's the big ol' pellet type. So if you flushed and 10 minutes later flushed again, it won't be blue. Wait a couple hours and flush, it'll be blue again.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

How do you find out how much money people with your job title make? It's impossible to find the right place for this because of crappy pages that use SEO. I saw an IRS or census database for this but I can't figure out where it is now.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Why not just take the thing out and throw it away?

PennoyerNeff
Mar 29, 2003

Gooey, gooey, gooey . . . DUCK!

Mescal posted:

How do you find out how much money people with your job title make? It's impossible to find the right place for this because of crappy pages that use SEO. I saw an IRS or census database for this but I can't figure out where it is now.

Here's a DOL database for prevailing wages by geographic area / occupation / level: http://www.flcdatacenter.com/ . It's a government salary survey so the occupational classifications are broader than a private survey. Otherwise, try something like salary.com.

VVVV
Neat, I've never e:fb'd someone before. =)

PennoyerNeff fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 15, 2013

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Mescal posted:

http://www.flcdatacenter.com/

This is what USCIS and immigration attorneys use to find the government determined 'prevailing wage' for any given job (per its OES/SOC code)in every county and state in the United States. Use the search wizard and find your state / county, and then search for your job or a closely related job.

Once you find the right job, determine your wage level per page 7 of this PDF: http://www.flcdatacenter.com/download/NPWHC_Guidance_Revised_11_2009.pdf. Essentially level 1 is entry, level 2 is experienced but non supervisory, level 3 is supervisory and level 4 is master / attending / whatever the top rank of your field is.

E: Fb

Miranda
Dec 24, 2004

Not a cuttlefish.
I keep getting weird pop up type things when I'm browsing SA using chrome on my mobile. It's mostly lovely annoying games and there's an ad for "game of war" that keeps loving sending me to the App Store. What the gently caress is going on?!

Miranda fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 15, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Miranda posted:

I keep getting weird pop up type things when I'm browsing SA using chrome on my mobile. It's mostly lovely annoying games and there's an ad for "game of war" that keeps loving sending me to the App Store. What the gently caress is going on?!

Some lovely game you installed is full of adware

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Miranda posted:

There's a thread for bad ads that do this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449562

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Mescal posted:

There is another non government site called Glassdoor.com also.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

There is another non government site called Glassdoor.com also.
Be aware that Glassdoor has been caught doing some shady poo poo.

You should totally use it as a resource, but definitely take it with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to what it has to say about a given specific company.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Miranda posted:

There's an awful app for both iPhone and android that won't cause these problems at all.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

regulargonzalez posted:

It doesn't turn the water blue instantly if it's the big ol' pellet type. So if you flushed and 10 minutes later flushed again, it won't be blue. Wait a couple hours and flush, it'll be blue again.

I thought that was the problem too, but even overnight it doesn't seem to be any better.

photomikey posted:

Why not just take the thing out and throw it away?

I don't mind it being there, it's more of a curiosity.

EDIT: I tried to move it around in the tank and it exploded/dissolved into about a million pieces, so it's definitely blue now! I suspect about 75% of it will be flushed away in the next day though.

KasioDiscoRock fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Nov 15, 2013

cravoecanela
Jul 15, 2003

cravoecanela fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 16, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sacofjoea posted:

Will an account name change modify the username displayed in archived threads? I'm assuming they are static?

I believe the cell on the left with username, avatar, etc. will all be updated, but of course any time that person was quoted in another person's post it will use their old name--in other words just like in live threads.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

What happened to Livestock? I never got to thank him for giving me this awesome username years ago.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

One occasional reccurring Loony Tunes segment was about a fox and a guard dog who would punch their time clock at the beginning of the day and then try to steal / defend a chicken coop, then at the end of the day they would punch out and go back to being friends. Does this segment have a name? I can't find any on youtube with any combination of loony tunes / warner bros / fox / guard dog / chicken. Just Foghorn Leghorn stuff which this emphatically wasn't.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

regulargonzalez posted:

One occasional reccurring Loony Tunes segment was about a fox and a guard dog who would punch their time clock at the beginning of the day and then try to steal / defend a chicken coop, then at the end of the day they would punch out and go back to being friends. Does this segment have a name? I can't find any on youtube with any combination of loony tunes / warner bros / fox / guard dog / chicken. Just Foghorn Leghorn stuff which this emphatically wasn't.

I don't know what is on YouTube, but that is Ralph E. Wolf and Sam Sheepdog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Can someone tell the advertising people I don't like being prompted to download the jelly whatever app every third page when I'm browsing on my ipad?