Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Yeah, so more than a month after getting rejected, my EF recruiter just left a message on my phone and sent a couple of emails saying they've got positions open and are willing to offer me a position. Probably gonna sleep on it at the moment, but I'm just a little wary of it. Could also be the bitter taste of retail and having just been turned down for a technical sales position is making me leery of job offers.

I am still apt to teaching abroad, just finding this out of the blue "sorry we rejected you we'll hire you now" kinda questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

bad day posted:

Congrats, you're going to have to do it again after arriving in China but it will only be 350 kuai or so.

Spoiler: You have a fatty liver

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

FearCotton posted:

Literally have not had to do one of those since like 2009.

edit: correction - 2009 I just had to go to the place and get a stamp on something, have not had to do the actual tests since like 2005 IIRC.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Literally have not had to do one of those since like 2009.

edit: correction - 2009 I just had to go to the place and get a stamp on something, have not had to do the actual tests since like 2005 IIRC.

You're missing out, they're exciting! Besides, how will you find out you have lung cancer? you already have it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

You guys have to do those every year? I just did it once when I first got my work permit or whatever and they've never asked me to do it again.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

SB35 posted:

You're missing out, they're exciting! Besides, how will you find out you have lung cancer? you already have it

All I know is that the original place was in a lovely lovely building with stupid stupid hours. And that the new place is nicer looking, but in an even dumber place. Sure, there's adequate parking, but if you're not driving it's just conveniently located in the middle of nowhere. Oh well, never have to deal with that poo poo again.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, so more than a month after getting rejected, my EF recruiter just left a message on my phone and sent a couple of emails saying they've got positions open and are willing to offer me a position. Probably gonna sleep on it at the moment, but I'm just a little wary of it. Could also be the bitter taste of retail and having just been turned down for a technical sales position is making me leery of job offers.

I am still apt to teaching abroad, just finding this out of the blue "sorry we rejected you we'll hire you now" kinda questionable.

It's been mentioned here before but I really wouldn't advise going with EF. They're basically a mass franchise operation and have real issues actually keeping their schools staffed, mostly because they don't reall discriminate in recruiting and have generally lovely school management so a very staff turnover. Chances are if they've suddenly changed their mind it's because the recruiter did actually fill all the positions and some of those staff have hosed off or changed their minds and not turned up. If you've got any kind of qualifications or experience you can get work somewhere better, if you're fixed on working in China though go hit up Dave's ESL or even ask around SA to see if you can get a better position.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Anyone from Beijing ever went to The Local Bar and Grill ?

They are hosting this event, and it looks like crazy fun!
http://www.thebeijinger.com/events/2013/nov/drunk-mario-kart

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
The correct name for this game is Kario Mart and it is a lot of fun. Pro tip: chug a large portion of your beer at the start of the race so you can focus on racing the rest of the time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

FearCotton posted:

I've been told the same thing here in Japan. Does anyone know any science behind this?

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

YF19pilot posted:

Go ahead and get the contract from them and see what they're offering. What city?

Monkey Fury
Jul 10, 2001
Did the medical exam here when I had my X visa; will never forget my REAL CHINA EXPERIENCE walking from the bathroom to the nurses station holding a cup of my own piss. Everyone should experience that. For some reason got to skip doing that here in China for my Z visa, they only cared about the exam my doctors did stateside. Also received the two-year residence permit :whatup:

Basically like everything here it is probably not consistent from city to city/province to province, and maybe also depends on what your employer can do? But I dunno, we have real people here who know way more about that stuff than I do.

I actually have a real question -- I'm heading to Hong Kong for a little over a week in January to escape the mainland for a little bit, can I use my BoC bank card there like I use my American bank card here, and just withdraw money from my BoC account and receive HKD from ATMs in Hong Kong? Or do I have to pull my cash beforehand, and exchange it when I'm there?

Monkey Fury fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 15, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

You'll be able to use pretty much any ATM in Hong Kong.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

YF19pilot posted:

I think a lot of schools are slowly adapting to the new reality that there are not that many people willing to work for them illegally and that they have to either accept people they wouldn't have before, or do things for teachers (like get Z visas, or actually pay what they promised, things like that...and hire people who clearly want these things) that they were reluctant to do before this august. I know my school has been slow to catch on to this.

The guy they fired, they re-hired part time (which to be honest DOES solve most of the problems they had with the guy vs. having him on full time). I don't think he realized how desperate they were, because he was only getting 200 kuai an hour. Not terrible for a regular part time gig, but after being jerked around like that, and given the circumstances I think he could ask for double. I hope he does now that he knows how hosed the school is without him, at least in the short-medium term.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

bad day posted:

Congrats, you're going to have to do it again after arriving in China but it will only be 350 kuai or so.

Ugh so it's a test you do in China, not your home country? I'm out by £145 then because the south-west website was not very clear?

Calyn
Sep 3, 2011
Yes, it most likely will not be recognized by the exit/entry office if it was done in another country. It will also most likely not even be recognized if done in China but in another province.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Calyn posted:

Yes, it most likely will not be recognized by the exit/entry office if it was done in another country. It will also most likely not even be recognized if done in China but in another province.

Fffffffff-

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
You're coming to Chengdu right? They accepted my medical from the UK, but I did go with someone from my university who just walked in like he owned the place and started shouting at random nurses in Chinese for 10 minutes then just said all ok and we paid and left.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

You're coming to Chengdu right? They accepted my medical from the UK, but I did go with someone from my university who just walked in like he owned the place and started shouting at random nurses in Chinese for 10 minutes then just said all ok and we paid and left.

Yeah, the medical I paid for, but have not received yet said it was non refundable. Surely if I need to get one in Chengdu, I can get this refunded?

It's just £145 is a lot of money to spend on something that comparatively would only cost £30 in china.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I can't really remember now to be honest, but I think they wanted to see my medical when I applied for my Z visa so I needed one done in the UK anyway.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I can't really remember now to be honest, but I think they wanted to see my medical when I applied for my Z visa so I needed one done in the UK anyway.

So I should just go forward with it?

Ugh this is all so stressful as my girlfriend's mum is basically applying for me and nothing was set out very clearly on the website.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I need to go meet someone in a minute so I don't have time right now, but I'll have a dig through my documents and stuff tomorrow and find out exactly what I did. Also mine was a Z visa so it might be different for an X. Do you not have anyone at the university you could contact?

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

No as I found the course, and from there the chain of communication is this:

Me>girlfriend>mama>university admins

My life is now :psyduck:

Facepalm Ranger fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Nov 15, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Facepalm Ranger posted:

So I should just go forward with it?

Ugh this is all so stressful as my girlfriend's mum is basically applying for me and nothing was set out very clearly on the website.

Some people are required to do it in their home country and in China, some get away with only their home country or only China. Like many things here, the rules are inconsistently applied and can vary for any number of reasons. This sort of thing seems to be getting more standardized, but sometimes what's required of you will be different than what's required of someone else coming at the same time to the same place for no particular reason.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

MeramJert posted:

You'll be able to use pretty much any ATM in Hong Kong.

Are those capital letters? Did you quit your job?

You should quit your job.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
YF19Pilot, what city are they offering?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

YF19pilot posted:

Are you 24 years old, do you have 2 years work experience, preferably outside your home country and preferably something teaching-related? (Basically, do you qualify for a Z visa)

If so, and if you have enough of a spine to occasionally stand up to HR, I can vouch for Maxen, a subsidiary of New Oriental (NOT New Oriental proper, about which I know little) as being not-horrible, probably better than EF, definitely better than my last employer. They are, as far as I know, hiring. 10 to 13k, probably something like 11k with no experience. I may end up interviewing and/or training you. It's not my dream job, but it isn't a nightmare either.

I have, however, heard rumors about them no longer being able to hire foreigners legally...so while I can generally recommend them, I will warn you to walk away if they give you any bullshit at all about getting you a Z visa. The paperwork should be well underway before you leave your home country.

Most of what's wrong with the company, from the perspective of the foreign teachers, comes down to ONE person, and even she is better than her counterparts at English First and Best Learning.

PM me if you're interested, or just google around, I'm sure you'll find their ads somewhere. Oh, and full disclosure: I can get a 3000 kuai referral bonus.

Arakan posted:

The correct name for this game is Kario Mart and it is a lot of fun. Pro tip: chug a large portion of your beer at the start of the race so you can focus on racing the rest of the time.

Kario Mart, AKA The Chinese Driver Experience.

quote:

Cost of Entry: One beer (Vedett Blonde, Vedett White, Liefman's or La Chouffe)

Do these cost a fortune and do they suck? And what Mario Kart are they using? Anything other than the original or the arcade games can suck a dick.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 15, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

La Chouffe is legit good beer, Liefmans can be good or bad depending on the type (Fruitesse is for girls). I don't remember the other two.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

goldboilermark posted:

YF19Pilot, what city are they offering?

They're not saying anything yet, just that they have "positions" and are reviewing my resume/first interview notes and will let me know what cities are available. Besides the phone message, all the emails have been form letters. I'll pursue it a little further, see what cities are available and go from there.

VideoTapir, I will definitely check it out.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

I have, however, heard rumors about them no longer being able to hire foreigners legally...so while I can generally recommend them, I will warn you to walk away if they give you any bullshit at all about getting you a Z visa. The paperwork should be well underway before you leave your home country.

This might be the understatement of the thread. All of the paperwork needs to be 100% finished before you leave your home country. How else are you supposed to get into China?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

goldboilermark posted:

This might be the understatement of the thread. All of the paperwork needs to be 100% finished before you leave your home country. How else are you supposed to get into China?

I think he means they might try to shunt folks over on a business visa with the "oh yeah of COURSE there's a magical Z-visa in the works, mei wenti" nonsense tacked on.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
That was common in like 2009 but I don't think that many people are stupid enough to so that now, are they? They really are cracking down on that.

FearCotton
Sep 18, 2012

HAPPY F!UN MAGIC ENGLISH TIEM~~~

goldboilermark posted:

That was common in like 2009 but I don't think that many people are stupid enough to so that now, are they? They really are cracking down on that.

I think it's impossible now anyway--the F is gone.

I don't understand how the F was easier, anyway; when I interned I had one and I needed letters from the US company and all sorts of other paperwork...though if people were photo-shopping degrees I'm guessing they also just faked corporations.

edit: I came to China first on a student study tour, then as an intern, then as a worker, and then as a worker for a different place, with trips home with a time duration of everything from two years to six months to two months in the interim. I've had a lot of visas, and 2 out of the 4 trips we make a year out of the country someone reads the wrong visa out and starts to yell at me about apparently overstaying a student visa from 2009.

I feel like they're supposed to stamp them canceled or something but it's never happened.

FearCotton fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 15, 2013

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

blinkyzero posted:

I think he means they might try to shunt folks over on a business visa with the "oh yeah of COURSE there's a magical Z-visa in the works, mei wenti" nonsense tacked on.

Well, if you've never done it before and you're coming on short notice, it sounds believable enough. Almost would have been believable 2 or 3 years ago.

Also, I have never done a Z visa from my home country, and haven't renewed under the new system yet, so I have no idea.

FearCotton posted:

I think it's impossible now anyway--the F is gone.

I don't understand how the F was easier, anyway; when I interned I had one and I needed letters from the US company and all sorts of other paperwork...though if people were photo-shopping degrees I'm guessing they also just faked corporations.

It was easier to bribe your way to an F visa (at least 5500 kuai, last time I had one refraudulated) than it is for your language mill to qualify to get Z-visas.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Oh man this weekend's trip report is going to be quite a trip to report. Sleep time now, but the short version is don't trust friends of friends' directions.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BadAstronaut posted:

Oh man this weekend's trip report is going to be quite a trip to report. Sleep time now, but the short version is don't trust friends of friends' directions.

I do not know anyone in China, Chinese or foreigner, who knows how to give meaningful directions.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

I do not know anyone in China, Chinese or foreigner, who knows how to give meaningful directions.

My students can give the cardinal directions without fail everywhere I've been with them (including various unfamiliar U.S. cities last summer, even in the dead of night), but as soon as you start talking about distances/left turns/right turns, they're utterly lost.

It's like they're GPS units that some programmer just said "gently caress it" to when it came time for the mapping software.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The classrooms I usually teach in have a direct line of sight to the summer palace, and I've yet to have a student who could look out the window and find it without help.

My wife likes to give left turn right turn directions without using any unique landmarks to tell you where your starting point or turns are. She'll give descriptions that apply to 2 or 3 possible locations, and distance estimates that are WAY off.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than my mom, who gives directions using landmarks that haven't existed in 20 years.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

The classrooms I usually teach in have a direct line of sight to the summer palace, and I've yet to have a student who could look out the window and find it without help.

My wife likes to give left turn right turn directions without using any unique landmarks to tell you where your starting point or turns are. She'll give descriptions that apply to 2 or 3 possible locations, and distance estimates that are WAY off.

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than my mom, who gives directions using landmarks that haven't existed in 20 years.

Oh it's all good stuff. Just go GPS and be done with it. I was meeting with a client today and they wanted me to pop into the other building. Not one could tell me the street it was on, or the name of the building itself while looking out the window directly at it. "It's that red one. No, not that one, the one with the red characters on top. Yes, that white one."

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure this kid we're having is necessary, as I have a chance of having a navigator for a change. Things like where the name of the street changes (but it's still the same street obviously), just *whoosh*.

Then again, the great benefit to this utter ignorance of directions, is that everyone uses GPS, which plots the same retarded route, which means if you just avoid that route you don't get stuck in slow moving traffic where everyone has their eyes glued to the GPS while they putt putt around at 30 on 4th ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

VideoTapir posted:

Are you from a small town? People in my small Maine town give directions like "take the 2nd left past Joe's barn" except Joe would be over 100 years old if he were still alive and his barn probably isn't there anymore either.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Oh it's all good stuff. Just go GPS and be done with it. I was meeting with a client today and they wanted me to pop into the other building. Not one could tell me the street it was on, or the name of the building itself while looking out the window directly at it. "It's that red one. No, not that one, the one with the red characters on top. Yes, that white one."

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure this kid we're having is necessary, as I have a chance of having a navigator for a change. Things like where the name of the street changes (but it's still the same street obviously), just *whoosh*.

Then again, the great benefit to this utter ignorance of directions, is that everyone uses GPS, which plots the same retarded route, which means if you just avoid that route you don't get stuck in slow moving traffic where everyone has their eyes glued to the GPS while they putt putt around at 30 on 4th ring.

My favorite thing about Chinese GPS units in Shenzhen is that they never get updated with new maps in a city that's still being built. Some black taxi drivers use them and according to the GPS we're sometimes driving over water that was reclaimed over a decade ago.